PDA

View Full Version : Game Time (World Series - Game One)

pooh
10-23-2004, 06:48 PM
Ok...here we go!

Great tribute to the poor girl who lost her life on Wed night.

Steven Tyler singing the National Anthem was cool. I'm glad he didn't screw up the ending like he did at the Indianapolis 500 a few years ago.

pooh
10-23-2004, 08:26 PM
Williams didn't last too long for the Cards, only going 3 and a 1/3 innings. 5-2 Red Sox at the moment. Ortiz with a towering blast in the first. Go Sox.

pooh
10-23-2004, 10:43 PM
Manny with two bad errors... 9-9 in the top of the 8th.

ducks
10-23-2004, 11:49 PM
that guy is an idiot
he was celebrating a hit instead of running hard then at the bottom of inning he screwed up
he needs to get off the weed and play ball

Jimcs50
10-24-2004, 09:14 AM
that guy is an idiot
he was celebrating a hit instead of running hard then at the bottom of inning he screwed up
he needs to get off the weed and play ball

Man, oh Manny, it's called winning ugly: Fenway follies feature Ramirez in starring role
By Michael Silverman
Sunday, October 24, 2004

You make two errors, you knock in a couple of runs. What does it matter as long as the Red Sox [stats, schedule] win a World Series game?

For the mellow man, Manny Ramirez [stats, news], not much at all.

``That's why you've got teammates - teammates who can pick you up,'' said Ramirez after the Red Sox struggled to take the first game of the World Series, 11-9, against the Cardinals. ``My teammates, they just say, `C'mon, we're going to pick you up.' ''

Only Mark Bellhorn [stats, news]'s game-winning home run was able to prevent the ``goat'' label being branded on Ramirez' forehead after the left fielder's slovenly series of gaffes in the top of the eighth.

First, he rushed a routine single from Edgar Renteria and allowed it to skitter under his glove. Pinch-runner Jason Marquis scampered home, bringing the Cardinals to within one run of the lead.

The next batter, Larry Walker, sent a soft, sinking line drive to left that Ramirez charged before deciding to slide to make the catch. The bad decision was followed by bad luck as Ramirez' right spike got caught in a drainage hole in the outfield. Ramirez went tumbling, the ball went off his glove and the Cardinals tied the game.

``I caught my spike but I shouldn't have dove for that ball in the first place,'' Ramirez said. ``If I kept running, I would have had time to catch that ball.''

It appeared Ramirez might have twisted his knee or wrenched his back on the play, but he insisted there were no problems.

``No, thank God. Everything is fine,'' he said.

Ramirez was the poster boy for the Red Sox' four-error game, their worst defensive effort in months. That they were able to emerge a victor is a testament to their overwhelming offense, which applied enough pressure on the Cardinals' pitching to cover the ugliness on the field.

Ramirez' bat played a big role, knocking in a run in the third with a bases-loaded groundout and then singling in another run in the seventh. Ramirez' first RBI ended a 39-plate-appearance drought, dating back to Game 3 of the AL Division Series. He did not have an RBI in the ALCS victory over the Yankees.

Ramirez doesn't think his slide was particularly lengthy or newsworthy.

``It doesn't matter. I could go 0-for-10, 0-for-15, but I know I'm a champion,'' he said. ``I could do the job at any time. If I have that mentality, it all comes easy for me.''

In other words, in case you have not noticed already - don't worry, be happy, be Manny.

``I don't get down,'' Ramirez said. ``I know I'm a champion. I've got confidence in myself, and I have confidence in my teammates, too. If you have confidence in yourself, you have confidence in anything you do out there.''

Last night, Ramirez' confidence never wavered. His teammates allowed him that luxury.

Ducks, he is not an idiot, he knows he made two horrible decisions, he will not make the same mistakes.

IcemanCometh
10-24-2004, 09:15 AM
manny is a space cadet