PDA

View Full Version : Smelling like a Rose again in San Antonio

Kori Ellis
10-24-2004, 12:13 AM
Smelling like a Rose again in San Antonio

BY JOE JULIANO

Knight Ridder Newspapers

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/9998778.htm

PHILADELPHIA - (KRT) - The images remain fresh in the mind.

Drexel, a school that few knew on a national basis when it came to basketball, shocked mighty Memphis in the first round of the NCAA tournament in Albuquerque, N.M., behind a hustling center named Malik Rose.

It seems like only yesterday, but it was actually 1996. And now Rose, the former tuba player turned basketball star at Philadelphia's Overbrook High, is preparing for his ninth NBA season, his eighth with the San Antonio Spurs.

"Who would have thought nine years coming out of Drexel?" Rose said Thursday night before the Spurs met the 76ers in a preseason game. "But it's been a blessing. It's been great."

Rose, who turns 30 next month, has gotten two NBA championship rings with San Antonio. But the Spurs were knocked out in the second round of the playoffs last season by the Los Angeles Lakers to cap a frustrating season.

It was especially frustrating for Rose, who was at odds with coach Gregg Popovich about his role on the team. However, player and coach cleared the air in their postseason meeting, and they now see eye-to-eye, according to Rose.

"Things are cool," he said. "I'll bring to the games what I normally bring, and that's just bringing Malik to the games. That could change from game to game. What we need, that's what I'll try to bring, whether it's energy, hustle, great defense or offense. Whatever it is, I'll try to bring it."

"(Rose) is doing a great job," Popovich said. "I think he understands, if he fills a certain role for us, he can be really valuable. That role is rebounding at both ends, running the floor, playing defense, shooting the mid-range jumper off the pick-and-roll.

"If he does these things, he's a hell of a player for us. When he tries to be Tracy McGrady, he has problems."

Popovich said Rose did a great job of dropping weight in the off-season and has worked hard in training camp.

"He's a really conscientious guy," the coach said. "He's highly intelligent. He wants to be better all the time. But on teams, everybody serves certain roles. He's not going to be the one-on-one guy or the isolated guy on the wing. He's going to be a `blend' guy. When he does that for us, he's fantastic."

Rose returned to Philadelphia for a while over the summer to work on his shooting with Herb Magee, the longtime Philadelphia University coach, and he also worked out with local coach John Hartnett.

Rose, who is signed through the 2007-08 season, working on a contract that will pay him $5.46 million this season, has found a home in San Antonio. He is active in charities there and has his own restaurant there. The restaurant is called Malik's Philly's Phamous, and it features cheesesteaks and water ice among other Philadelphia delicacies.

Rose is ready to help the Spurs to another run deep into the playoffs, with the goal being his and their third NBA championship.

"Last year was a difficult year, but it's behind us," he said. "We didn't win a championship like we had set out to do, so that made it even more frustrating. Hopefully, we won't go through that again and we can win the championship this year."

Pop-a-shot

Popovich believes the Spurs have as good a chance to win it all as five or six other teams, but he concedes that it will be difficult unless they shoot better than they did last season.

The Spurs were knocked out of the Western Conference semifinals in six games by the Los Angeles Lakers. They shot 30.2 percent from the field in Game 6 - a performance that pretty much summed things up.

Particularly painful to Popovich was the fact that the Spurs shot just 68.1 percent from the free-throw line last season, with Tim Duncan at less than 60 percent.

"We were in the 29th spot out of 29 teams in free-throw percentage," Popovich said. "You usually can't win a championship when you're the worst at something. It might not be your strong suit, but being the worst is kind of scary.

"We can improve execution. We can get up on defense and still be one of the best defensive teams in the league. But shooting is a little bit more dicey, a little bit more subjective. I can't go out there and analytically devise something and guarantee we're going to be better at it."

timvp
10-24-2004, 12:19 AM
"If he does these things, he's a hell of a player for us. When he tries to be Tracy McGrady, he has problems."

Nice line.

Hopefully Pop and Malik can meet in some kind of middle ground and work together toward a 12 and 8 season.

SequSpur
10-24-2004, 10:13 AM
Pop is stupid. Malik has never tried to be Tracy McGrady. I am going to give credit to Malik that he is one of the few Spurs besides Tim Duncan to have the balls to try something on offense. Most of the Spurs pass the ball out of fear of Pop's wrath. You want to see why shooting percentage is bad..... Dude was screaming at Manu, Parker and Hedo all fricking year. No wonder their sphincters are closed.

WTF is Malik suppose to do? He gets the ball on the block, he is usually pretty successful.... WTF? Is he supposed to pass it? I mean let players be players, let them shoot, let them score, let them kick ass, let them develop. I will say this til the day that Pop finally exits San Antonio which I hope is soon.... Quit bottling the damn players up and use their talents to enable wins and championships for San Antonio. Pop is always trying to mold players, f.... that, if the puzzle don't fit, then trade them.

emmo
10-24-2004, 10:20 AM
^^^^

are you high allready today?

ducks
10-24-2004, 10:30 AM
rose tried to to much then got benched then quit on pop
dude needs do what got him that contract and no more
why does rose think he has to be superman now?

ducks
10-24-2004, 10:33 AM
Hopefully Pop and Malik can meet in some kind of middle ground and work together toward a 12 and 8 season.

no hopefully rose can grow the hell up and learn to respect and obey the coach or get traded. if this is pop's fault then you need to say pop needs to go.
rose is not the boss and pop is.
if I did what rose did and then admited I quit on my boss my ASS WOULD BE FIRED.
but these nba players think they are above that. HORSE PUCKY. Then rose wonders why he alsomost got traded. DUH! WAKE UP AND SMELL THE ROSES ROSE

ChumpDumper
10-24-2004, 10:39 AM
Malik has never tried to be Tracy McGrady. I am going to give credit to Malik that he is one of the few Spurs besides Tim Duncan to have the balls to try something on offense.Self-contradiction -- a Sequ hallmark.
WTF is Malik suppose to do? He gets the ball on the block, he is usually pretty successful.... WTF? Is he supposed to pass it?When blanketed by two players half a foot taller than him?

Yes.

BronxCowboy
10-24-2004, 10:41 AM
Then rose wonders why he alsomost got traded. DUH! WAKE UP AND SMELL THE ROSES ROSE

Rose almost got traded in order to cut payroll. This only seems to be a secret to you.
Regardless of whether you ever accept this or not, the fact remains that he didn't get traded, and the best thing for the team at this point, any way you slice it, is for Malik and Pop to get along, and for Malik to be a productive part of the team. Give Malik a chance already. Even Pop has decided to.

P.S. I don't know why you think you can sniff Pop's ass by bashing Malik. I don't even know why you would want to. Pop may call the shots, but he's not the one putting in work under the basket.

ChumpDumper
10-24-2004, 10:45 AM
Sure we'll give Malik a chance, but let's not pretend he would've been kept around for ANY reason -- basketball or financial -- if, say, we signed Udonis Haslem last season.

SequSpur
10-24-2004, 11:27 AM
Saying Malik is trying to be Tracy McGrady is way overboard and not very funny. But, hey that's that dumbass Popovich for ya.

Look, Pop should have won at least 4 championships over the last 8 years, however his anal retentive dumbass recruiting tactics have actually sucked.

The Spurs aren't going to win jack with Rasho at Center and no backup point guard. The Spurs have turned into the Minnesota Twolves of the past 5 years. Win alot of games in the season and an early exit home.

Pop is a turd.

Duff McCartney
10-24-2004, 11:29 AM
All I smell is yo bullshit Malik.

Jimcs50
10-24-2004, 11:35 AM
Did the Spurs finally win a preseason game?

SequSpur
10-24-2004, 11:37 AM
Yes they did....

However, Pop continues to run his stupid ass mouth about Malik Rose. Obviously the marriage isn't united as they think. Malik Rose was trying to be Tracy McGrady? Uh... yeah... that's a great analogy...

Brodels
10-24-2004, 11:48 AM
The Spurs aren't going to win jack with Rasho at Center and no backup point guard. The Spurs have turned into the Minnesota Twolves of the past 5 years. Win alot of games in the season and an early exit home.

So Pop should have gone after which players instead...?

timvp
10-24-2004, 11:48 AM
Sequ, I thought you hated Malik.

Question.

Mark in Austin
10-24-2004, 11:50 AM
I mean let players be players, let them shoot, let them score, let them kick ass, let them develop.

yep. that worked great for Rudy T. in a post Hakeem Houston.

Brodels
10-24-2004, 11:50 AM
Sure, Malik sucked last season. Sure, his contract is outrageous for what he brings to the table.

But he's been effective at times in the past. Pop doesn't have a lot of options this season up front, and Rose is capable of doing the job.

Ducks, instead of bagging on Malik over and over again, why not let him play a couple of months and see what he can do? Why not give him another chance? He's done it before, and while it isn't a given that he'll do it again, he certainly could end up playing very well.

SequSpur
10-24-2004, 12:25 PM
I don't "HATE" Malik, I hate the fact that the Spurs locked a player who was a bench player who gave a few good minutes here and there a lifetime deal. Now it seems that I was correct, because every day the Spurs are looking to unload him because of that salary. If he was making 2-3 mill, I am quite sure, Pop would love Malik and Malik would love Pop... but now he has the money expectation....

Pop should have just said, We need Malik to do what Malik can do. But to say that Malik was on the court being Tracy McGrady is stupid. That is not what he was trying to do.

T Park
10-24-2004, 12:36 PM
sequ, shut up already,

youve already made yourself the ass you are three times in this thread.

He is off the Malik sucks bandwagon, somewhat off the Rashopuss shit, and now back on the Pop sucks bandwagon.

But hey, like Sequ said, John Lucas is a better coach.

SequSpur
10-24-2004, 01:01 PM
tpark, did Malik play at all last year?

Appreciate it....

Now run along big doggy............

BronxCowboy
10-24-2004, 01:07 PM
Sure we'll give Malik a chance, but let's not pretend he would've been kept around for ANY reason -- basketball or financial -- if, say, we signed Udonis Haslem last season.
The fact that Malik is still in a Spurs uniform has nothing to do with Udonis Haslem going elsewhere and everything to do with the lack of a trading partner willing to go through with a decent deal. They did TRY to get rid of him, remember? BTW, if you're implying that for BASKETBALL reasons (not $$$) the Spurs would be better of with Haslem than Rose, you need to quit kidding yourself.

ChumpDumper
10-24-2004, 01:24 PM
The fact that Malik is still in a Spurs uniform has nothing to do with Udonis Haslem going elsewhere and everything to do with the lack of a trading partner willing to go through with a decent deal. They did TRY to get rid of him, remember?Right. Here's how the Spurs were trying to move him:

1) Get rid of him for expiring contracts or nothing this summer to free up enough money for Scola.

after that:

2) Get equal value in a suitable replacement.
BTW, if you're implying that for BASKETBALL reasons (not $$$) the Spurs would be better of with Haslem than Rose, you need to quit kidding yourself.Judging from how Haslem played in Miami and how Rose didn't play in SA, I'm saying the Spurs would've gotten rid of Malik for nothing even after Scola was no longer available. Haslem more than meets the "suitable replacement" criteria and you'd be a fool to deny that.

Put aside your indignant homerism for a second and look at it from a basketball and money standpoint -- you'll reach the same conclusion.

T Park
10-24-2004, 05:13 PM
Udonis Haslem is a pretty good damn good forward.

Of course he doesnt wear a Spur's uniform so that means he sucks.

ducks
10-24-2004, 05:53 PM
OK I will give rose another chance this year
but he still turns the ball over so far this year.

ps I have been stressed out with my grandpa's health lately....

SequSpur
10-24-2004, 11:17 PM
OK I will give rose another chance this year
but he still turns the ball over so far this year.

ps I have been stressed out with my grandpa's health lately....

You don't have a choice. You're a homer and he is still on the team.

ducks
10-24-2004, 11:37 PM
You don't have a choice. You're a homer and he is still on the team.

and why are you sticking up for rose?

is it because you can not stand pop?

CosmicCowboy
10-25-2004, 11:09 AM
WTF is Malik suppose to do? He gets the ball on the block, he is usually pretty successful.... WTF? Is he supposed to pass it?

uhhhhhh....yeah he is...

pump fake, pump fake, pump fake, go up against two taller guys, REJECTION...

how many times did you see that last year...I know that as a short basketball player you empathise with getting posterized in the post but all they have asked him to do is reset the offense instead of giving up the ball attempting to dunk over bigger guys who have position...

if he does that he will be fine and get his minutes...how is it wrong for Pop to say that?