PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Bowen disappointed at missing U.S. cut

Kori Ellis
08-20-2006, 12:46 AM
Bowen disappointed at missing U.S. cut

Web Posted: 08/20/2006 12:25 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA082006.1C.bowen.33c9ee9.html

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

The United States opened the World Championships early Saturday morning with a victory over Puerto Rico. Bruce Bowen wasn't among those watching.
The TV was off at Bowen's home in Miami. But not out of protest.

"I'm having a hard enough time," Bowen said, "just getting my regular sleep patterns back."

Cut from the U.S. roster last week, Bowen will get more time to rest than he would like.

"I'm not bitter or mad at anyone," he said. "I just wish I would have gotten a better opportunity to show I could be on the team."

During the team's training camp in Las Vegas, USA Basketball officials talked often about the importance of having role players on the roster. They complimented Bowen on being in the best shape of the 18 players. His defense and big-game experience, they said, would be needed in the World Championships.

Bowen began to realize that might not be the case after the team flew to Asia. He averaged only 10.3 minutes, the fewest of any player, in four exhibition games. He didn't play against Brazil, even after Carmelo Anthony hurt his knee in the second quarter and Dwyane Wade fouled out.

"That was obviously the telltale sign," Bowen said. "Carmelo's out, Dwyane's out and Antawn Jamison was out, and I don't get to play?

"That was disappointing. I know I could offer something to the team."

When Bowen stepped on the floor for the first exhibition game against Puerto Rico, he assumed he'd be guarding Carlos Arroyo, the team's top scorer. U.S. coach Mike Krzyzewski, however, told him to take someone else.

"That was odd to me," Bowen said. "I've guarded Carlos plenty of times. If you've done your homework, you know I've guarded (all four guard and forward positions) at different times."

While many observers predicted Bowen would have to battle Houston's Shane Battier or Washington's Jamison for a place on the team, USA Basketball officials actually selected Sacramento center Brad Miller over Bowen for the last roster spot.

"We had two point guards and the four main players on the perimeter for us are Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony, LeBron James and Joe (Johnson)," Krzyzewski said. "We just felt with the playing time they're going to get we needed support in the back line. When we played Brazil and Lithuania, we needed depth there."

Bowen, 35, was the oldest player trying out. But Phoenix Suns chairman Jerry Colangelo, who put the team together, said Bowen's age wasn't a factor in his being left off the roster.

"We felt he had a good chance to make the team because of the skills he brought to the table," Colangelo said. "And he lasted a lot longer than other guys with bigger names."

Bowen appreciated the opportunity to represent his country and get to know some of his rivals as teammates. He also enjoyed the "spirit of competition" between the players during practice.

"You had some of the best players in the world," Bowen said. "It's not like you're out there playing pick-up with guys who don't know how to play."

Bowen was invited to remain in Japan and assist the coaching staff during the tournament, but he wanted to return home to his wife and 1-year-old son. Doing so allows him to catch up on his rest before traveling to South Africa next month for the NBA's Basketball Without Borders program.

Bowen said he's appreciated the support he's received from people who think it was a mistake to cut him. He's also spoken with Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who expressed concern early on that Bowen might not receive a fair opportunity to make the team.

"Pop allowed me to vent a little," Bowen said.

This isn't the first time Bowen has been passed over. He was the runner-up to Ben Wallace for Defensive Player of the Year honors in each of the past two seasons. And despite ranking near the top of the league in 3-point accuracy, he's never been invited to participate in the All-Star shootout.

Getting cut from Team USA was just one more disappointment.

"Whenever I talk to kids, I always tell them to make sure they give 110 percent even if things aren't going their way," Bowen said. "This was a chance for me to see if I could practice what I preach. Even though I'm not playing and am frustrated, how would I react in practice?

"It was still about giving 110 percent. I owe that much to the game."

For now, Bowen plans to remain in the USA Basketball program, even though this was probably his best opportunity to play for the national team. He'll be 37 during the 2008 Olympics in Beijing when the Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant and a handful of other players who weren't able to participate this summer are expected to compete for roster spots.

"They asked for a three-year commitment and I gave them a three-year commitment," Bowen said. "I'm a man of my word."

Bowen said he won't be in front of the TV every night watching Team USA, but he'll follow its progress.

And if the United States plays Argentina for the gold medal? Would he be tempted to root for Manu Ginobili?

"I'm an American," Bowen said. "And I would like to see America regain our prominence at the World Championships.

"I just thought I could have contributed to that."

v2freak
08-20-2006, 12:52 AM
I feel for Bowen. I always knew that he was a constant victim of snubbing, but I never realized it was this bad.

Tek_XX
08-20-2006, 12:53 AM
I agree with Bowen that if his skills aren't wanted or needed he should go home and rest for the NBA season.

Kori Ellis
08-20-2006, 12:55 AM
I'm glad he at least sort of called out coach K for not letting him guard Arroyo.

T Park
08-20-2006, 01:08 AM
This whole situation just proves to the Pop haters, andshows them, how good he is....

THE SIXTH MAN
08-20-2006, 01:08 AM
"Whenever I talk to kids, I always tell them to make sure they give 110 percent even if things aren't going their way," Bowen said. "This was a chance for me to see if I could practice what I preach. Even though I'm not playing and am frustrated, how would I react in practice?

"It was still about giving 110 percent. I owe that much to the game."
When its all said and done I doubt Bowen would look back at his career in disappointment. He brings a lot more to basketball then just great defense. What Bowen does for the the game is reflected well off the court. Any athlete can lend his star power to a cause and be satisfied with just that. He's always bean involved with kids and various other charities.

I can understand his frustration with the cut. The guy is a great competitor and plays with heart. But he shouldn't be down about it for to long, hes established a pretty good career in the league that no one would be ashamed of.

angel_luv
08-20-2006, 01:20 AM
Bruce is good people.

I'm hoping the U.S. will end up really missing Bruce this tournament and ask him to go to the Olympics.

T Park
08-20-2006, 01:24 AM
"I'm an American," Bowen said. "And I would like to see America regain our prominence at the World Championships.

Hey Angel, why don't you follow Bruce's lead eh?

angel_luv
08-20-2006, 01:29 AM

Follow his lead. What are we dancing? :lol

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
08-20-2006, 01:37 AM
Oh you guys still going on about that patriotism crap?

Just thank god this country gives us the freedom to root for any sport team we want! That's what I love about this country. You can say F-You to the jerks who make mountains out of molehills.

By default if US goes head to head with Argentina, you pick your team. Which Bruce did, and Like Tony definitely did today.

I still remember after Duncan got his team's ass handed to him, he was on the sidelines with pop rooting for their friend the next day.

Marcus Bryant
08-20-2006, 01:43 AM
Why is disloyalty a presumed problem for Americans of non-European ancestry?

picnroll
08-20-2006, 03:08 AM
Colanglo usd Bowen. F'n Matrix will be lucky if he scores a point agaist the Spurs next year.

velik_m
08-20-2006, 03:21 AM
Colanglo usd Bowen. F'n Matrix will be lucky if he scores a point agaist the Spurs next year.

Does Colangelo care?

picnroll
08-20-2006, 03:28 AM
Well he is the Suns' general manager.

T Park
08-20-2006, 04:07 AM
Oh you guys still going on about that patriotism crap?

Yeah Natalie Maines, I am.

BgT
08-20-2006, 04:26 AM
Don't listen to him, angel_luv. TPark would choose a bag of chips over USA team anytime: "What are they playing for? They should be like me during the off season, watching Jerry Springer and pretend they are smart online." :elephant

mavsfan1000
08-20-2006, 06:54 AM
Yeah doesn't make sense that Bowen didn't guard Arrojo. This team could be constructed better but it is still great team put together and should be the favorites.

CharlieMac
08-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Coach K knows those guys are coaching themselves. Whether he is a legend in the college game or not, those egos are too huge for him to even begin to handle.

ShoogarBear
08-20-2006, 08:42 AM
Hey Angel, why don't you follow Bruce's lead eh?Wait a minute. Aren't you the same guy who says players should show loyalty to the big money contracts and not the national teams?

polandprzem
08-20-2006, 08:55 AM
Wait a minute. Aren't you the same guy who says players should show loyalty to the big money contracts and not the national teams?

yes yes!

He is that guy!

j-6
08-20-2006, 08:56 AM
Well he is the Suns' general manager.

Mike D'Antoni is the Suns GM. Remember, Jerry Colangelo sold the team to the foam finger guy, Sarver.

rr2418
08-20-2006, 09:15 AM
The coach has changed, the players have changed, and maybe the philosophies have changed, but star power still rules in the world of pro sports. Coach K probably did what was told of him. Keep the LeBron's, the Anthony's, and the Wade's of the world, the heck with role players, that's probably what USA Basketball told him to do!

WalterBenitez
08-20-2006, 09:30 AM
If USA plays ARG the little coach will miss BRUCE, believe me ... with BRUCE the way to gold could be guaranteed but without him ... not sure (that's what I think); besides that why to wait too long to decide who will be in or cut ... too stupid.

spurschick
08-20-2006, 09:34 AM
Bruce doesn't dunk at every opportunity. That doesn't fit into USA Basketball.

BUMP
08-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Bruce will never make it in FIBA. i know you homers will just think im hating on Bruce, but think about it. his game on offense is open threes. when he's missing them like he did early on why would they use him, when instead they have James/Melo/Jamison who make their shots and are better players. refs call the game too close so his handchecking would be called every time. plus there arent many 1 on 1 international players that he could guard except for Manu only. instead they need guys who can jump the passing lanes, quick guys who can recover on defense when they gamble. (James, Wade, Johnson, Melo, Paul.)

Bruce's game doesnt help team USA at all, and i hope he realizes that instead of whining on why he gets snubbed all the time.

spurschick
08-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Bruce will never make it in FIBA. i know you homers will just think im hating on Bruce, but think about it.

Bruce's game doesnt help team USA at all, and i hope he realizes that instead of whining on why he gets snubbed all the time.

Coming from a Mavs fan...hmmm.. gee, why would we think you were hating on Bruce? :rolleyes

TMTTRIO
08-20-2006, 10:11 AM
I feel bad for Bruce but I'm glad he said something. I hope not having him doesn't come back and bite us in the butt.

Spurologist
08-20-2006, 10:43 AM
It's obvious that making the cut was important to Bowen and you can tell he has some ill feelings toward Sheshenski.

Bowen was invited to remain in Japan and assist the coaching staff during the tournament

That can be seen as a nice gesture, but that is disrespectful to me. You work hard to be part of the team, you get cut, and are offered to assist in coaching as some form of a pity reward. :nope

velik_m
08-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Bruce will never make it in FIBA.

he played more games under FIBA rules than other players combined.

JGrice02
08-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Bruce will never make it in FIBA. i know you homers will just think im hating on Bruce, but think about it. his game on offense is open threes. when he's missing them like he did early on why would they use him, when instead they have James/Melo/Jamison who make their shots and are better players. refs call the game too close so his handchecking would be called every time. plus there arent many 1 on 1 international players that he could guard except for Manu only. instead they need guys who can jump the passing lanes, quick guys who can recover on defense when they gamble. (James, Wade, Johnson, Melo, Paul.)

Well, for starters you ARE hating on Bowen. I'm not sure you can make it more obvious so you might as well admit to as much. But what makes it comical is your analysis of the player. You are completely ignorant of Bowen's skills.

His handchecking will be called every time?

Manu is the only FIBA player he can guard?

He can't recover when he gambles on defense?

He isn't quick?

He doesn't help the US team "at all"?

Those might be five of the dumbest opinions I have ever seen written about the player. You opinions will forever be laughed at and everyone who looks at your future posts will know that you are the epitome of ignorance. Good day, sir.

bigdog
08-20-2006, 11:03 AM
bruce played alot of international ball before he was in the NBA,i dont see why coach K didnt give him more playing time.

smeagol
08-20-2006, 11:03 AM
Wait a minute. Aren't you the same guy who says players should show loyalty to the big money contracts and not the national teams?
Yep, that's him.

The funny thing is he thinks he is not a hypocrite :lol :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-20-2006, 11:24 AM
This whole situation just proves to the Pop haters, andshows them, how good he is....

Nice reach, Gumby.

I still remember after Duncan got his team's ass handed to him, he was on the sidelines with pop rooting for their friend the next day.

There's a difference in rooting for a teammates when your team is done playing and rooting for your teammates from another country when they're playing your country. Dumbass logic there.

The coach has changed, the players have changed, and maybe the philosophies have changed, but star power still rules in the world of pro sports. Coach K probably did what was told of him. Keep the LeBron's, the Anthony's, and the Wade's of the world, the heck with role players, that's probably what USA Basketball told him to do!

Yeah, when I think of star power, I think of Shane fucking Battier. :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-20-2006, 11:28 AM
BTW, it should have been obvious when Coach K didn't put Bowen on Arroyo that the decision had already been made.

And I'm sorry, but it's Team USA PR about Brad Miller being the last one kept in favor of Bowen. Miller is the perfect center for international ball with his shooting range.

The whole "Miller was the last one kept" thing is just an attempt to deflect attention away from Coach K keeping his little pissant dookie Shane Battier, who will inevitably get lit up by the world's best, instead of Bowen.

And then Colangelo bought into it after telling everyone who would listen that this was the new and improved Team USA with role players to boot.

Fucking idiots.

Edit: hey, I got to call out Duke, Coach K, and Colangelo with post #17,000. Not a bad day at the office. :lol

picnroll
08-20-2006, 11:36 AM
I have to think Bowen never had a shot. He was brought in by Colangelo and the Duke coach as training camp fodder to bring D, intensity and maturity to a bunch of children. In a way it makes sense since USA is really pointing toward the Olympics when Bowen would be 37. Bowen wasn't intended to make the team. Bruce got snookered.

BUMP
08-20-2006, 11:38 AM
yes it will be
never said that
never said that
He isn't quick?
never said that
not when he's airballing threes.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-20-2006, 12:01 PM
only when he touches pussies like Dirk
never said that
never said that
He isn't quick?
never said that
not when he's winning ring #3 next year

Fixed it for you.

FromWayDowntown
08-20-2006, 12:09 PM
I'd think that concerns for the vulnerability of Team USA's defense (whether because of players or scheme) should be rising, with the juggernaut Chinese dropping 90 on them today.

Team USA is conceding 95 ppg; Puerto Rico and China have combined to shoot 49.3% from the floor and 48.9% from 3. Each had substantial offensive spikes against USA -- China shot under 40% and scored 69 points against Italy, but got to 90 against USA and shot 44%.

It's early and numbers often don't tell the whole story, but I'm not altogether convinced that USA can employ a D'Antoni-styled attack at a tournament like this one and expect to take home the gold anymore. They're going to have to defend at some point. We'll see if they can do that. I'm still skeptical.

picnroll
08-20-2006, 12:13 PM
Team USA's defense sucks. D'Antoni and this Duke turds gambling style is going to fuck them. They are going to play some disiplined talented teams in the later rounds and wonder wtf happened once again.

BUMP
08-20-2006, 12:33 PM
Fixed it for you.

Dirk has never ever flopped before. :drunk he's not a pussy! :madrun

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-20-2006, 12:43 PM
Team USA's defense sucks. D'Antoni and this Duke turds gambling style is going to fuck them. They are going to play some disiplined talented teams in the later rounds and wonder wtf happened once again.

Don't forget the part where they blame the failure on the ego of the players.

nbascribe
08-20-2006, 12:45 PM
Team USA doesn't have any great defenders on the floor. As great as Bruce's man to man defensive skills are, he would have been the bright spot in a tournament where zone defense is key. Once this team gets out of the preliminary rounds, you'll see how much they would have needed him on the floor.

This is not our style of play. We don't have big men who can step out and knock down the open 15 footer on a continual basis. Once that part of the zone is exposed by a big, I'm quite sure some sort of pick and roll will ensue or that player will hit a cutting player in the lane and Team USA will be out of position.

NBA players simply do not play true zone defense during their season.

picnroll
08-20-2006, 12:49 PM
Bowen wouldn't have helped much. It's the stupid scheme. Of course it doesn't help that some of their mainstay guys like Melo and LeBron are crappy, undisciplined defenders to begin with.

Slinkyman
08-20-2006, 01:01 PM
Dirk has never ever flopped before. :drunk he's not a pussy! :madrun

a team leader who doesn't show up in the 4th quarter in the finals and then passes to Dampier instead of shooting with the game on the line is a FUCKING PUSSY!

mavs>spurs2
08-20-2006, 01:09 PM
Bowen didn't get cut because he wasn't of any use to the team as of now. He got cut because as the years go by, he will be of no use except veteran leadership. And most of those guys that made the team will be vets by that time.

mavs>spurs2
08-20-2006, 01:10 PM
a team leader who doesn't show up in the 4th quarter in the finals and then passes to Dampier instead of shooting with the game on the line is a FUCKING PUSSY!

:bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang

FromWayDowntown
08-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Bowen didn't get cut because he wasn't of any use to the team as of now. He got cut because as the years go by, he will be of no use except veteran leadership. And most of those guys that made the team will be vets by that time.

The guys who were cut this time around just didn't make the squad for the 2006 World Championships. Being cut now doesn't mean they can't make any of the subsequent teams that USA basketball will put together. If it did, Amare and Kobe and a bunch of other guys would be out, which would be asinine. Bowen could conceivably still make the 2008 Olympic team -- in fact, if the USA doesn't prevail in Japan, his chances to make that squad should actually go up considerably.

nbascribe
08-20-2006, 01:39 PM
The guys who were cut this time around just didn't make the squad for the 2006 World Championships. Being cut now doesn't mean they can't make any of the subsequent teams that USA basketball will put together. If it did, Amare and Kobe and a bunch of other guys would be out, which would be asinine. Bowen could conceivably still make the 2008 Olympic team -- in fact, if the USA doesn't prevail in Japan, his chances to make that squad should actually go up considerably.

The whole problem with USA Basketball is that they want to have this open door policy. Either you are going to put a team together that plays together or you won't do such a thing.

All this current team is a re-hashed version of the Dream Team. This is still an NBA All-Star team. Just has a new paint job and some spinners for flashy rims. USA Basketball is not truly committed to the international game; they are about marketing here in the states.

FromWayDowntown
08-20-2006, 01:46 PM
All this current team is a re-hashed version of the Dream Team. This is still an NBA All-Star team. Just has a new paint job and some spinners for flashy rims. USA Basketball is not truly committed to the international game; they are about marketing here in the states.

I completely agree with that. A rehashed dream team with players who aren't as good or as driven as the original Dream Teamers playing against competition that is improving with every international tournament. I thought the 2004 Olympics would bring a paradigm shift with USA basketball. They did pay some pretty serious lip service to having made such a shift. But, in the end, it's star power that drives the selection process.

ShoogarBear
08-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Don't forget the part where they blame the failure on the ego of the players.True dat.

Whatever else happens with this team, the only thing GUARANTEED is that no criticism will fall upon Saint K.

2centsworth
08-20-2006, 04:08 PM
After the Puerto Rico game Bruce was never given another chance and I don't know why? Especially with all the hype he got coming out of camp.

Kori Ellis
08-20-2006, 10:51 PM
And I'm sorry, but it's Team USA PR about Brad Miller being the last one kept in favor of Bowen. Miller is the perfect center for international ball with his shooting range.

Miller DNP/CD in the 1st game and played the least minutes of any US player in the 2nd game. He was definitely the last player on Coach K's bubble.

Kori Ellis
08-20-2006, 10:54 PM
In a way it makes sense since USA is really pointing toward the Olympics when Bowen would be 37. Bowen wasn't intended to make the team. Bruce got snookered.

I am not disagreeing that they might have used Bowen, but the Olympic team doesn't have anything to do with it. At least four or five of these guys won't be on the Olympic team with Kobe, Stoudemire, Marion, etc available.

Kori Ellis
08-20-2006, 10:59 PM
Mike D'Antoni is the Suns GM. Remember, Jerry Colangelo sold the team to the foam finger guy, Sarver.

Colangelo is still Chairman and CEO of the Suns thru 2007 and then he will still be Chairman after that until 2012.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-21-2006, 12:45 AM
Miller DNP/CD in the 1st game and played the least minutes of any US player in the 2nd game. He was definitely the last player on Coach K's bubble.

Just goes to show that Coach K and Colangelo still don't have a freakin' clue. How many dunks is Dwight Howard going to get against a packed in 2-3 zone?

T-Pain
08-21-2006, 12:48 AM
bruce was robbed. over brad miller???? come on now.

RON ARTEST
08-21-2006, 01:42 AM
Bruce doesn't dunk at every opportunity. That doesn't fit into USA Basketball.
brad miller is on the team and he doesnt dunk, whats your point?

RON ARTEST
08-21-2006, 01:44 AM
bruce was robbed. over brad miller???? come on now.
:rolleyes

tlongII
08-21-2006, 09:53 AM
Team USA is really missing Bowen so far aren't they? :rolleyes

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-21-2006, 01:09 PM
Team USA is really missing Bowen so far aren't they? :rolleyes

Well, if the likes of ARgentina and Spain can go for 30 more than their average against Team USA, yes, Team USA will be missing Bowen a hell of a lot.

tlongII
08-21-2006, 04:01 PM
Well, if the likes of ARgentina and Spain can go for 30 more than their average against Team USA, yes, Team USA will be missing Bowen a hell of a lot.

We'll see. IMO, Team USA is going to win this thing in a walk.

nkdlunch
08-21-2006, 04:32 PM
We'll see. IMO, Team USA is going to win this thing in a walk.

I can see you're as much in denial for team USA as for the suck ass blazers

Sway
08-21-2006, 05:07 PM
I understand people are upset that Bowen got the boot but lets not get dumb. He is probably my favorite Spur and even I don’t think he would have been the difference maker for Team USA. People forget that Team USA does have a couple all-defensive team members on the roster. When you have a balanced team with that much talent it’s really hard for one player to have that much of an impact.

tlongII
08-21-2006, 05:33 PM
I can see you're as much in denial for team USA as for the suck ass blazers

I can see you haven't been watching Team USA in the WC's.

milkyway21
08-21-2006, 10:17 PM
When Bowen stepped on the floor for the first exhibition game against Puerto Rico, he assumed he'd be guarding Carlos Arroyo, the team's top scorer. U.S. coach Mike Krzyzewski, however, told him to take someone else.

ha! ha!

that is why I was asking myself "what if Bruce made the team?", while the U.S. team struggled against Arroyo on their first WC game. Arroy was awesome and there was nobody who could stop him from the perimeter and doing what he wanted.

That 1st 3 qtrs was quite scary for the U.S. to lose their very 1st World game.

K-State Spur
08-21-2006, 10:25 PM
I understand people are upset that Bowen got the boot but lets not get dumb. He is probably my favorite Spur and even I don’t think he would have been the difference maker for Team USA. People forget that Team USA does have a couple all-defensive team members on the roster. When you have a balanced team with that much talent it’s really hard for one player to have that much of an impact.

If they play well, team USA should win this thing, but there is not one player on the current team anywhere near the perimeter defender that bowen is. If Kobe were playing (and trying on defense), then he would be the closest on the expanded roster to Bowen defensively.

In a tight game against a legit opponent, guys like Battier won't be taking the shots, so we can forget about how "balanced" he is right there. Lebron and Melo will be carrying the team offensively, whose going to stop the guys on the other end of the floor, especially when we are playing perimeter defenders better than guys like Arroyo.

K-State Spur
08-21-2006, 10:28 PM
I can see you haven't been watching Team USA in the WC's.

I firmly believe the US will win this thing, but you do realize that games against PR and CHN don't necessarily translate to what we will do against ESP and ARG? Hell, if the Brazil game hadn't been an exhibition, we could have stopped the talk of this being a 'walk' right there.

tlongII
08-22-2006, 11:30 AM
I firmly believe the US will win this thing, but you do realize that games against PR and CHN don't necessarily translate to what we will do against ESP and ARG? Hell, if the Brazil game hadn't been an exhibition, we could have stopped the talk of this being a 'walk' right there.

I believe Team USA will win all of its games by at least 6 points.

temujin
08-22-2006, 05:37 PM
I believe Team USA will win all of its games by at least 6 points.

6 -SIX- points?
A firm belief that indeed suggests the obvious:
send home the only guy that can seriously stop Manu, when he's hot.