PDA

View Full Version : Josh Howard Talking About His Extension

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-20-2006, 08:25 AM
Josh Howard Using TayShawn Prince As Contract Measuring Stick?

Dallas Morning News - Mavericks forward Josh Howard has one year at $1.66 million left on his rookie contract, and if an extension is not signed by Oct. 31 he will become a restricted free agent next summer, a scenario the club wants to avoid.

Will a deal be reached in time?

"I'm not supposed to talk about it," the forward said. "That's a touchy subject. I'll let my agent and Mark [Cuban] deal with that."

Cuban's policy is not to comment on ongoing negotiations. Five players from Howard's draft class – Cleveland's LeBron James, Miami's Dwyane Wade, Denver's Carmelo Anthony and Toronto's Chris Bosh – signed extensions earlier this summer.

Howard won't command the money those players received. Tayshaun Prince would be a good starting point. The Detroit small forward signed a five-year, $47.5 million contract on the eve of opening night last season.

Howard averaged more points, rebounds, steals and shot for a higher percentage than Prince did last season.

"No disrespect to him," Howard said, "but he doesn't do the same thing for Detroit that I do for Dallas."

TDMVPDPOY
08-20-2006, 08:31 AM
prince is worth about 10-12mill a season, he was underpaid on the extention due to pistons and ben wallace fiasco.

howard should get around there also or a mill less than prince contract

JamStone
08-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Howard is really good. I think he's worth at least around $10 million per year.

But, that was a funny quote by Howard. "No disrespect to him" disclaimers usually meaning "I'm about to be disrespectful to him." Granted Prince doesn't do the same things as Howard, but on the Pistons, he isn't asked to. In some ways, it takes quite a player to be as good as Prince and not demand more touches on offense.

TDMVPDPOY
08-20-2006, 12:57 PM
imo prince > howard

prince is not even first or second option on offense on the team, his shots are shared with rasheed imo, but to a lesser extent.

picnroll
08-20-2006, 01:18 PM
Stick it to Cuban Howard.

ChumpDumper
08-20-2006, 01:18 PM
Howard should play out the season.

ATX Spur
08-20-2006, 02:01 PM
No disrespect to Howard, but his quotes don't make him sound very smart. :lol

atxrocker
08-20-2006, 02:08 PM
Howard is really good. I think he's worth at least around $10 million per year.

i disagree. i don't think he deserves 10 mill a year, more like maybe 8. but with lots of these players getting overpaid, it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

JMarkJohns
08-20-2006, 02:18 PM
I'd rather have Prince as well. Howard is injury-prone on top of mostly just a slasher. He's very good, but Prince is more disciplined and like others have mentioned, could average more points with bigger role and should grab more rebounds with Wallace gone.

Prince plays better defense, though Howard is very talented in this area as well.

Prince is worth more but being a bargain, his contract is a fair yardstick for the likes of Howard and Diaw.

picnroll
08-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Prince and Howard both have the ability to disappear in big games.

Diaw is or will be much better than Prince or Howard. Hopefully Parker spent the summer whispering sweet nothings into Diaw's ear.

TDMVPDPOY
08-20-2006, 02:48 PM
problem with the mavs now, will cuban dish out the money to howard, since dirk is up for a contract extention soon...

ChumpDumper
08-20-2006, 02:59 PM
They should have plenty of money to give Howard.

ABDENOUR POWER
08-20-2006, 05:50 PM
Josh Howard Using TayShawn Prince As Contract "No disrespect to him," Howard said, "but he doesn't do the same thing for Detroit that I do for Dallas."

Arrogant prick.

Amarelooms
08-20-2006, 06:28 PM
I'll take Josh over Prince for the long run. Hopefully Cuban will get the deal done soon.

jochhejaam
08-20-2006, 07:22 PM
i disagree. i don't think he deserves 10 mill a year, more like maybe 8. but with lots of these players getting overpaid, it certainly wouldn't surprise me.
I agree with you. But in the NBA now, it isn't what you're worth, it's how much above your worth are teams with salary cap space willing to pay you.

confined
08-20-2006, 09:28 PM
Arrogant prick.
he said no disrespect to him ...ummmm da da der...wow some people i tell ya

exstatic
08-20-2006, 09:57 PM
Mavericks forward Josh Howard has one year at $1.66 million left on his rookie contract, and if an extension is not signed by Oct. 31 he will become a restricted free agent next summer, a scenario the club wants to avoid.
Why? IIRC, next summer is lean fucking pickings for FAs. IF Cuban were smart, he'd stonewall on an extension, and let Howard shop for a RFA deal next summer, then match it. I doubt Howard gets any offers remotely close to what he's asking.

SlasherX
08-20-2006, 10:40 PM
Atleast they can spell his name right. Tayshaun Prince

ducks
08-20-2006, 11:33 PM
Why? IIRC, next summer is lean fucking pickings for FAs. IF Cuban were smart, he'd stonewall on an extension, and let Howard shop for a RFA deal next summer, then match it. I doubt Howard gets any offers remotely close to what he's asking.

and howard could look at that and then just demand out now.............

and screw cuban

TDMVPDPOY
08-21-2006, 01:00 AM
who are the teams next season that will have capspace to play with and threat the mavs?

mavsfan1000
08-21-2006, 05:03 AM
If Dallas gets Howard for 5 years and 50 million that's a great deal. He is probably worth more than that. Almost a max player. I would say 5 years and 60 million.

TDMVPDPOY
08-21-2006, 05:47 AM
when i think of max deals, i think of franchise or allstar players, not fuckn scrubs base on potential......thats why there should always be a team option in max deals, just in case the bastard player faults out....

johngateswhiteley
08-21-2006, 06:13 AM
If Dallas gets Howard for 5 years and 50 million that's a great deal. He is probably worth more than that. Almost a max player. I would say 5 years and 60 million.

...a max deal? wtf.....lmfao. :lol

mavsfan1000
08-21-2006, 07:05 AM
when i think of max deals, i think of franchise or allstar players, not fuckn scrubs base on potential......thats why there should always be a team option in max deals, just in case the bastard player faults out....
Hater. :madrun Howard is already a great player and close to the superstar level. At times this year he was the leading scorer on Dallas. I remember a 5 game period where Howard was outscoring Dirk. The injuries slowed him down later in the season unfortunately but he has unbelievable potential.

George Gervin's Afro
08-21-2006, 07:07 AM
Howard is no where near a max player. Max players are go to guys and Howard is not. He is certainly a very good player and is a great complimentary player however he will get over paid. Is he worth as much as Manu? You could argure either way and manu signed for 8.5. I don't think Prince is worth 10 mil but he took advantage of the market as anyone would. I hope Howard gets his money and hamstrings the Mavs with long term deals with terry, damp, dirk, and now howard... They then will have to fiigure out what to do with Harris..that's all your money invested in 5 guys, including Harris. Will this core group of players be able to compete for multiple titles? Whether they will or not I think , as the Spurs have shown, that it is imperative that a team not get stale or locked with to many over paid players. Is it the summer of 07 or 08 that we have only Tim , Manu, and Parker under contract?

George Gervin's Afro
08-21-2006, 07:10 AM
Hater. :madrun Howard is already a great player and close to the superstar level. At times this year he was the leading scorer on Dallas. I remember a 5 game period where Howard was outscoring Dirk. The injuries slowed him down later in the season unfortunately but he has unbelievable potential.

how good would howard be as the lone offensive option on the floor? Don't you think that Dirk's presence has alot to do with Howard's success? The guy is 26? now? how much 'potential' do you think he has left to reach? At some point players top out and for all you know Howard has.. he's a good player but to say he's great after one season is silly? superstar level? He might not make the list of 30 top players right now and you say he's close to superstar level? Come on dude

johngateswhiteley
08-21-2006, 08:12 AM
how good would howard be as the lone offensive option on the floor? Don't you think that Dirk's presence has alot to do with Howard's success? The guy is 26? now? how much 'potential' do you think he has left to reach? At some point players top out and for all you know Howard has.. he's a good player but to say he's great after one season is silly? superstar level? He might not make the list of 30 top players right now and you say he's close to superstar level? Come on dude

...top 30??? he is not even top 50. even though, he is very good.

Smokey
08-21-2006, 10:25 AM

what the fuck you been smokin, maan? :smokin

texlawman
08-21-2006, 10:28 AM
Howard is a 18 pt 8 reb guy who can play defense. He's not a superstar, but he's a very nice player. I also think that he's a natural fit alongside Dirk so it may overhype his value some. I'd hope that we can resign him for 8 million, but realistically he will probably get 10 million a season over five years. In the Mavericks system he's probably worth that.

mavsfan1000
08-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Howard is a 18 pt 8 reb guy who can play defense. He's not a superstar, but he's a very nice player. I also think that he's a natural fit alongside Dirk so it may overhype his value some. I'd hope that we can resign him for 8 million, but realistically he will probably get 10 million a season over five years. In the Mavericks system he's probably worth that.
Exactly and he has improved a lot every year. He might get 20 and 10 at his prime which is close to superstar status.

atxrocker
08-21-2006, 10:57 AM

uh..where you getting those numbers from? do they just sound better than a career 12/6? even last season he was at 15/6. solid sure, but superstar? i wouldn't be so quick to put him in that category. he is a good player, but it's obvious that mavs fans are blinded by homerism if they honestly think he is a top 30 type player.

George Gervin's Afro
08-21-2006, 11:18 AM
Exactly and he has improved a lot every year. He might get 20 and 10 at his prime which is close to superstar status.

when does anyone hit their prime?

mavsfan1000
08-21-2006, 11:21 AM
when does anyone hit their prime?
Usually around 28 or 29.

sickdsm
08-21-2006, 11:24 AM
No disrespect to Asian people but that was what we call a Jap play.

----Bill Parcels while disrespecting Asian people.

texlawman
08-21-2006, 11:28 AM
He's not a top 30 player, not even a top 50 player. What he is a good player. Last year he did average about 16 and 7, but I do anticipate that he will do about 18/8 this year. If that's being a little bit of a homer than I'm probably guilty cause I'm a fan of his game.

mavsfan1000
08-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Yeah and Howard does a lot of the intangible things that don't show up on the stat sheet.

Bruno
08-21-2006, 11:45 AM
He might get 20 and 10 at his prime which is close to superstar status.

:lol 20 maybe, I think he is able to do it but it will be difficult with a starting lineup with Dirk, Terry and Harris but 10 rebounds, no way.

FYI, 0 SF have average more than 8 rpg last season. There is no way a SF, who play with a PF (Dirk) and a C (Dampier/Diop) who are good rebounders averages more than 10 rpg, I would be surprise if he average more than 8 rpg.

Bruno
08-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Last year he did average about 16 and 7.

Last year he average 15.6 and 6.3, he was about a 16/6 player.

Bruno
08-21-2006, 11:55 AM
$50M/5 years is a fair extension for Howard, he has the same level than Prince or Butler but should get slighty more because he gets his extension one year later. $55M is the max I would be ready to give him if I was a GM, $60M is overpaid.