PDA

View Full Version : For strong hearts and stomachs only

ShoogarBear
08-21-2006, 10:13 AM
Spurs' Most Painful Playoff Losses

5. Game 3 of the 2001 WCF: Lakers 111 SA 72. Yeah, all the games in this series sucked, but this was the capstone.

4. Game 7 of the 1990 WC Semifinals: Portland 108, SA 105 (OT). DRob's rookie year. Strickland's Pass gets most the blame (except for those of us who say Sean was also partially at fault), but there was also the BOGUS intentional foul called on him after he made the pass. And in regulation there was the Spurs blowing yeta another 6 point lead with about 1.5 minutes left. Then, near the end of regulation, with less than 5 seconds left Willie Anderson got the ball out on a breakaway and was headed for a game-ending dunk, but Clyde Drexler managed to just reach his fingertips in at the last moment and knock the ball out of bounds.

3. Game 7 of the 1979 ECF: Washington 107, SA 105. The Spurs first potential trip to the Finals ruined by blowing a 6 point lead with about two minutes left (sound familiar). Another bogus call, this time an offensive foul on Mark Olberding (my recollection, although others say it was Billy Paultz) for setting a moving pick while passing the ball. As someone pointed out at the time, if that was an offensive foul, then Wes Unseld would never have played more than 10 minutes a game.

2. Game 7 of the 2006 Western Semifinals: arrrgh!

1. 0.4* :depressed

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-21-2006, 10:22 AM
I can't pick a single game in that 95 Rockets series, they all sucked ass.

ShoogarBear
08-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Game #1 from the 1995 WCF would probably have been #6 on my list.

whottt
08-21-2006, 11:03 AM

4. Game 7 of the 1990 WC Semifinals: Portland 108, SA 105 (OT). DRob's rookie year. Strickland's Pass gets most the blame (except for those of us who say Sean was also partially at fault), but there was also the BOGUS intentional foul called on him after he made the pass. And in regulation there was the Spurs blowing yeta another 6 point lead with about 1.5 minutes left. Then, near the end of regulation, with less than 5 seconds left Willie Anderson got the ball out on a breakaway and was headed for a game-ending dunk, but Clyde Drexler managed to just reach his fingertips in at the last moment and knock the ball out of bounds.
:depressed

Translation:

David Robinson is a soft bitch who doesn't care about winning and lacks the heart of a champion.

whottt
08-21-2006, 11:04 AM
Game #1 from the 1995 WCF would probably have been #6 on my list.

You mean the one where Elliott missed the game winning FT's?

Translation:

David Robinson is a choker.

baseline bum
08-21-2006, 12:17 PM
5. Game 2 of the 2001 WCF. Duncan was playing the game of his life, but no one else aside from Daniels was even showing up. Then David Robinson picks up his fourth foul while arguing a call, Phil Jackson gets kicked out of the game and gives a fuck-you-what-are-you-gonna-do-now glare to his team as he walks off, and the Lakers burst the game wide open. Duncan hit two amazing shots in that game when the Lakers were routinely quadruple-teaming him.

4. Game 1 of the 2001 WCF. Kobe Bryant must have dunked on Tim and Dave at least 10 times in that game. It felt a lot like the game 1 of the 95 WCF. It looked like we had that game, until Pop substituted David out like 3 minutes in. :lol

3. 74-73 in game 5 of the 2004 WCSF. It wasn't so much Fisher's shot that killed me. It was giving up 16 points to scrub-ass Devean George, and Horry missing the wide open 3 that would have iced the game by like 3 feet.

2. Game 1 of the 1995 WCF. That whole season I was sure the Spurs were winning the title. As soon as Horry hit that shot from the elbow, I knew it was over.

1. 111-72 was the most disgusting thing I've ever seen out of the Spurs, except for David, who looked great in this game.

ShoogarBear
08-21-2006, 12:29 PM
:lmao @ whottt

Damn bb, game 7 this year didn't hurt?

GrandeDavid
08-21-2006, 12:41 PM
I still think that 2001 WCF against the Lakers was so disgraceful and numbing. That 111-72 loss stripped the Spurs of their dignity at the time. I give the franchise credit for sort of staying the course, if you will, and ending up getting a couple more championships thereafter, but damn...that was brutal.

WalterBenitez
08-21-2006, 12:46 PM
2. Game 7 of the 2006 Western Semifinals: arrrgh!
1. 0.4*

Unnecessary violence, I need a drink :drunk

baseline bum
08-21-2006, 12:54 PM
:lmao @ whottt

Damn bb, game 7 this year didn't hurt?

That one wasn't too bad to me. They fought from 3-1 down, from 20 down in a game where Dallas was shooting like 90% in the first half, and had a lead until it was blown by Manu playing too agressively. I'd much rather lose like that than having the team be too passive, or blow so many missed opportunites. They played an almost perfect 3rd and 4th quarters, and I was very proud of the team after that game. They never had any business being in a position to win that game with how hot Dallas came out, and yet they were up 3 with 30 seconds to go.

101A
08-21-2006, 12:56 PM
'95 WCF - Game 5 is a HORRRRIBLE memory

'90 WCSF Game 7 - also excruciating

Game 2 against GS in '91 was really bad, as well.

Games 1 & 2 WCSF against Utah - both with chances to steal one in SLC; both misses at the buzzer.

Games 3 & 4 '02 WCF - bad also (Spurs had stolen one in LA)

Solid D
08-21-2006, 02:57 PM
I concur with your list ShoogarBear, although I do believe that the 1979 loss amid the controversy of the late phantom calls was extremely bitter for me at that age and time. I had to go outside and just started running to burn off steam because it was the closest the Spurs had ever gotten to making it to the Finals. ".4" was bitter, no doubt, but the Spurs had already won a couple of Championships and it was a game 6 loss. Same with last year, the Spurs had won 3 Rings. For me (personally), '79 was a real burner.

J.T.
08-21-2006, 03:42 PM
Game 7 this year is my worst because I dropped 440 clams on tickets to that game and yeah you know the rest.

phxspurfan
08-21-2006, 05:10 PM
wow. 440 bucks...u could have bought melvin sanders for a day

tlongII
08-21-2006, 06:33 PM

I didn't find this to painful at all!

Brutalis
08-21-2006, 06:41 PM
SA has been on both sides of the water.

spurschick
08-21-2006, 06:44 PM
I'm still not over Game 7 of last season.

Spurologist
08-21-2006, 06:49 PM
After 0.4, I have yearly checkups with my doctor.

ALVAREZ6
08-21-2006, 08:16 PM
.4 sucked.

If only I were at the game in the moment, I would have killed Derek Fisher. Not kidding, I would have killed him.

RogerIsEatingASandwich
08-22-2006, 09:59 AM
5. Game 3 of the 2001 WCF: Lakers 111 SA 72

I would have put this one a little higher on the ...horrible game. :depressed

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
08-22-2006, 10:05 AM

ShoogarBear
08-22-2006, 10:21 AM
I concur with your list ShoogarBear, although I do believe that the 1979 loss amid the controversy of the late phantom calls was extremely bitter for me at that age and time. I had to go outside and just started running to burn off steam because it was the closest the Spurs had ever gotten to making it to the Finals. ".4" was bitter, no doubt, but the Spurs had already won a couple of Championships and it was a game 6 loss. Same with last year, the Spurs had won 3 Rings. For me (personally), '79 was a real burner.79 would have hurt more if I had actually seen the game, but that was back in the Dark Ages of only Boston-Philly-LA being televised, and then only by tape delay.

As it was, I had to listen to the game on the radio . . . along with a Bullets fan! :madrun

TDMVPDPOY
08-22-2006, 11:03 AM
the only hard losses are the ones in games 3 + where tp dissappears for no reason....

SuperManu!!!
08-22-2006, 12:48 PM
I don't understand so much why you people keep thinking of that 0.4. Yeah, they won that game but it wasn't the final game, there was still one more game to tie and go for a 7th, so stop complaining about that shot and face it. DOnt blame fisher

Chris
08-22-2006, 01:11 PM
After 0.4, I have yearly checkups with my doctor.

ROFFLEWAFFLES!

withcheese
08-22-2006, 01:19 PM
I still think that 2001 WCF against the Lakers was so disgraceful and numbing. That 111-72 loss stripped the Spurs of their dignity at the time. I give the franchise credit for sort of staying the course, if you will, and ending up getting a couple more championships thereafter, but damn...that was brutal.

I agree. i think it was this loss that made the 03 title so sweet. they ended the so-called lakers dynasty on their home floor in a ridiculous blow out with Tim absolutely destroying the lakers with, what, 38 and 17? then they won a title. thats why i like the '03 championship run the best, because they toppled their arch-nemesis two years after that wcf ass-waxing and a year after the wcsf embarassment.

but while i remember this loss, it doesn't sting because of 03. game 7 this year still stings, and probably will until the spurs take out the mavs en route to ring number 4.

BALLZ & MY WORD
08-22-2006, 01:23 PM
I don't understand so much why you people keep thinking of that 0.4. Yeah, they won that game but it wasn't the final game, there was still one more game to tie and go for a 7th, so stop complaining about that shot and face it. DOnt blame fisher

0.4 sucked ass. It was essentially the coup de grace to the Spurs season. I've never seen a stadium take a collective gasp like that until then.

cheguevara
08-22-2006, 01:31 PM
yup .4 was the worst by faaaar. 75% of spurs fans broke something or other in their house after that.

last year was definitely second though

Budkin
08-22-2006, 02:31 PM
Heartbreakers are way harder to take than ass-whippings for me so I've got to put .4 and Game 7 last year at number one and two. I wasn't a Spurs fan in '79 or '90 so I don't really have anything invested in those games.

Being on top of the world only to have everything taken away from you in an instant is the most painful feeling by far, and both .4 and "the foul" fit that scenario completely. We had those games in the bag and likely would have gone on to win the title in each of those years had it not been for those cruel twists of fate.

JasonsGirl
08-22-2006, 04:45 PM
.4 I still want to cry thinking about it. I remember exactly what I was doing that day, and how I wanted derek fisher to die for about a year

stretch
08-22-2006, 06:31 PM
they ended the so-called lakers dynasty...

you have got to be kidding me... they won three straight championships. as much as I hate the Lakers, id say thats a dynasty. pull your head out of your ass.

LilMissSPURfect
08-22-2006, 11:05 PM
but while i remember this loss, it doesn't sting because of 03. game 7 this year still stings, and probably will until the spurs take out the mavs en route to ring number 4.

its like having a piece of glass stuck on your feet...(i like going barefoot)...it hurts like heck yet you don't want help either taking it out......

dang...

:spin

carina_gino20
08-22-2006, 11:17 PM

yes, it wasn't the final game, but Game 5 in a series is usually the most pivotal one especially when it's tied 2-2. And to lose that one in your homecourt at such questionable circumstances, and to play the next one in Staples...that's a lot of tough luck.

slayermin
08-23-2006, 03:05 AM
1.) 0.4 - I was watching this game at Gotham Hall on the Santa Monica 3rd Street Promenade and there were a couple of Laker Fans I knew there. There was one brave Spurs Fan like myself who were cheering our guys on against a room full of Laker Fans. I just remember the Laker Fans I knew coming by and giving me condolences when the Lakers were up like 16 or something in the third quarter.

The Spurs made their run and when Tim hit his shot, I just remember me and the other lone Spurs Fan was jumping up and down. The Laker Fans were in shock. Most thought they lost. The next few minutes seemed like an eternity. When Fisher's shot went down, I just fell to the ground numb with disbelief. The whole place was going nutz and it took me a few minutes to gather myself. I didn't cry but I sure wanted to.

2.) 2004 West Semis Game Four: SA@LA - Baseline Bum and I were at Hooters in Santa Monica. It was a beautiful day in SoCal. There were some marines from Camp Pendleton there on a weekend pass. About two or three of the marines saw us with our Spurs gear and came over to talk to us. They were from Dallas and San Antonio so they were rooting for the Spurs. The game started out great. Hedo was knocking down his open looks and it seemed we might take a stranglehold on the series. The marines we met were sitting on the second level above us and began the GO SPURS GO chant. We joined in. The Laker Fans were getting pissed.

But I guess the marines had to leave and when they left, so did all of our kharma. Kobe started going crazy and the rest is history. I remember we had several opportunities to get into straps after the game but I was so disappointed that none of the shit the Laker Fans were giving us made me mad. That was probably the first time I thought to myself that I was taking the Spurs way too seriously. Then I filled my cup up one more time for game five.

3.) 1995 Western Conference Finals Game Five: HOU@SA - There was about thirty of us that parked in the CPS parking lot across from the Dome. We had a keg and doing some serious tailgating before the game. Anyone that went to that game probably remembers the huge contingent of Rocket Fans there. Several walked passed us as we were getting our drink on. We were shouting some nasty obscenities their way.

Whent the game started, I kept hope that the guys would be able to weather the early storm with Rodman being removed from the starting lineup. But it wasn't meant to be as the Rockets ran out to like an 18 point lead in the first quarter. The Dome was basically a neutral site for Houston because of all the Rocket fans. They were just as loud as we were. I guess the reason I was so disappointed with this game was because I was so proud of the guys for tieing up the series. The '95 debacle was one big shit sandwich and every member of the Spurs deserved a bite.

4.) 2002 West Semis Game Four: LA@SA - Baseline and I were at Dublins for this game. I think Russ joined us out there too. I remember we sat in the back room with all Laker Fans. I don't recall talking too much smack to Laker Fans but I know we represented. There were a couple of Laker Fans that were quiet as hell when the Spurs had control of the game. Then, when the Lakers began making their run in the fourth quarter, they came over and started talking some serious shit. I called them out as frontrunners. They pissed me off because they were all quiet and worried for most of the whole game. But when they looked like they might win, then they decided to represent. They were the prototype Laker Fans. Car flags out when they are winning, but first to jump off when there is a leak in the boat.

This game sucked because Terry Porter had no business being out there at the end. Also, the Admiral played hurt and TD was grieving his dad. This one really hurt.

5.) 2006 West Semis Game Four: SA@DAL - I was at Hollywood Billiards for this game. There were a few Maverick fans there gloating about being up 2-1. I thought there was no way the refs were going to steal two games in a row from us. But they did. This game didn't hurt as much as the others I listed above. The NBA admitted they made mistakes. They rescinded the technical on Michael Finley. Ronnie Nunn admitted on NBATV that a critical fourth quarter blocking foul on Tim Duncan was actually a charge.

I was proud of the guys for coming back and tieing the series up. But I knew it was going to be tough to win the series after game four.

2001 - It hurt but I was feeling antsy before the series started because of the injury to DA. I thought it would take an incredible performance to win the series with DA. But without him, it would take a miracle.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-23-2006, 09:02 AM
Another reason "0.4" was so tough was the euphoric feeling a minute earlier when Tim hit his shot.

That press box at The Wolff was going nuts (even while the Missions were slowly rallying) and then it all fell apart. People in the stands were huddled together listening to the Spurs game on their radios and I had to tell some people who hadn't heard that the shot had been allowed and the game was over.

Obstructed_View
08-23-2006, 09:09 AM
Watching the Spurs stumbling their way through idiotic lineups in the playoffs this season was like watching a dog wander out onto the highway. You know the outcome, and you know it's going to be really ugly to see but you watch anyway hoping that you are wrong and it all works out. Everything after game 1 this year has basically supplanted every other painful Spurs playoff memory in my top ten, because with the exception of Rodman against the Rockets, I always thought that the Spurs and their coaches were doing the best they could, even in the years that they believed they couldn't win.

Chris
08-23-2006, 10:31 AM
Watching the Spurs stumbling their way through idiotic lineups in the playoffs this season was like watching a dog wander out onto the highway. You know the outcome, and you know it's going to be really ugly to see but you watch anyway hoping that you are wrong and it all works out.

That shit is sigworthy right there! :lol

Obstructed_View
08-24-2006, 09:18 AM
That shit is sigworthy right there! :lol
Thank you. I thought it was pretty good. I love it when I actually come up with a good analogy.

baseline bum
08-24-2006, 12:47 PM
What makes 2004 bad is that the Spurs had an amazing team. Maybe not as good as the 2005 team, but certainly one of the best in franchise history. They won 19 straight before dropping game 3 to LA. Turkoglu, Bowen, and Horry just got ice cold at the wrong time. They were so wide open that whole series, and couldn't drop anything. The Lakers only chance to take that series was to throw everything they had at TnT, and hope the reserves sucked, and it worked. The Spurs had no business losing that series, and as a whole, that one was hard to swallow.

withcheese
08-24-2006, 12:59 PM
you have got to be kidding me... they won three straight championships. as much as I hate the Lakers, id say thats a dynasty. pull your head out of your ass.

The issue of what is and is not a dynasty is not so clear that I just obviously have my head up my ass if I don't think three straight counts. There are many commentators who don't think that anything other than the Cs 8 straight and the Bulls 6 in 8 years is a dynasty, Marc Stein among them. Does HE have his head up his ass too, prick?

Anyway, I wasn't really making a statement about the Lakers so much as quoting one of my favorite Malik Rose lines. It's from the '03 championship DVD when they're interviewing him about beating the Lakers, and he said "It felt so good to come in here and beat these guys and end their so-called dynasty or whatever." He says the "or whatever" with such disdain that you can tell he hates the Lakers and everything they stand for just as much as many Spurs fans do. Regardless of how I define a dynasty, I will always refer to it as a "so-called" dynasty in homage to one of my favorite Spurs of all time.

davi78239
08-24-2006, 01:16 PM
What makes 2004 bad is that the Spurs had an amazing team. Maybe not as good as the 2005 team, but certainly one of the best in franchise history. They won 19 straight before dropping game 3 to LA. Turkoglu, Bowen, and Horry just got ice cold at the wrong time. They were so wide open that whole series, and couldn't drop anything. The Lakers only chance to take that series was to throw everything they had at TnT, and hope the reserves sucked, and it worked. The Spurs had no business losing that series, and as a whole, that one was hard to swallow.

Question that I'll always wonder is that if we would of beaten LA in 2004, I would assume that the momentum would of carried over into Minnesota and our playoff experience. Now, would we would of beaten Detroit that year? I think we all definitely at the time would of severely under estimated them and they would of at least stolen a game back at our place. I think it would of been a dog fight, but maybe we would of prevailed in 6 or 7.

cheguevara
08-24-2006, 01:29 PM
you asked for it:
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/marty_burns/03/30/ncaa.vs.nba/t1_fisher.jpg
http://www.nba.com/media/lakers/fisher_188_five.jpg
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040513/040513_DerekFisher_vmed_8p.widec.jpg
http://www.chinadaily.cn/english/doc/2004-05/14/xin_2205011414350121934419.jpg
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040513/040513_lakersFisher_vmed_10p.hsmall.jpg