PDA

View Full Version : who has the best fans in the nba?

Smokey
08-21-2006, 10:24 AM
i'm gonna go with the lakers. i wanna see how many of you say the spurs.

texlawman
08-21-2006, 10:32 AM
I think the Spurs do have a good fan base. I'm not sure about best in league, but they are up there. As our the Lakers. Not really sure who is the best. I'm sure you could mention Heat, Kings, Mavs, Jazz, Celtics, Pistons. Product of an endless discussion I'm sure.

monosylab1k
08-21-2006, 10:48 AM
i'm gonna go with the lakers. i wanna see how many of you say the spurs.

laker fans?????? the ones that show up late? the ones that defected to the clippers as soon as they realized the lakers weren't that great this year? those "dedicated" fans?

laker fans might be tied with mavs fans for "most fairweather"

spurs fans by far are the best fans, as much as i hate them.

atxrocker
08-21-2006, 10:54 AM
spurs fans by far are the best fans, as much as i hate them.

by far? hardly. it could be argued, but i wouldn't declare it a landslide. i may be bias, but it's certainly no secret that kings fans are pretty hardcore. actually, it's pretty well known that kings fans are among the best, if not the best.

Marklar MM
08-21-2006, 10:56 AM
by far? hardly. it could be argued, but i wouldn't declare it a landslide. i may be bias, but it's certainly no secret that kings fans are pretty hardcore. actually, it's pretty well known that kings fans are among the best, if not the best.

Hardcore...Detroit fans win that category.

JamStone
08-21-2006, 11:00 AM
Any franchise that has success is going to enjoy a decent fan base. I think the best fans would probably be ones that are completely loyal even when the team is not so good. That would eliminate the Miami Heat fans and LA Laker fans.

I would maybe go with the Indiana Pacers fans. Now, being a Pistons fan, that's not easy to say. But, they are pretty loyal to the franchise despite everything that has happened the last two years, they are relatively knowledgeable as a whole, and quite frankly, there isn't much else going on in Indianapolis besides them and the Colts so they're going to continue to support the Pacers win or lose.

I would probably say Sacramento fans would be next on the list. And, for the most part, Spurs fans are great as well. And, everything that the Clippers fandom has endured, they deserve some credit.

Detroit has some of the craziest and most volatile fans in the NBA, but that's not a good thing, as we've seen. But, if we were talking about fanaticism, I would mention Pistons fans and Knicks fans as well.

sickdsm
08-21-2006, 11:27 AM
I don't think you can claim one team towns like SA or Sac. When a team is known for rabid, loyal fans and they have a buffet of pro sports teams to root for, THAT makes a great fanbase, being no alternative makes it that much easier to root for a team whether or not they stink.

Detroit is definately right up there if not the best.

picnroll
08-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Doesn't Sac have the record for consecutive sellouts?

MaNuMaNiAc
08-21-2006, 11:38 AM
I don't think you can claim one team towns like SA or Sac. When a team is known for rabid, loyal fans and they have a buffet of pro sports teams to root for, THAT makes a great fanbase, being no alternative makes it that much easier to root for a team whether or not they stink.

Detroit is definately right up there if not the best.
wait a sec, the Spurs fan base isn't limited to San Antonio residents. So that claim about "one team towns" doesn't really apply does it.

rayray2k8
08-21-2006, 11:41 AM
I would say knick fans.
Problem is, the knicks suck.

jmard5
08-21-2006, 12:03 PM
wait a sec, the Spurs fan base isn't limited to San Antonio residents. So that claim about "one team towns" doesn't really apply does it.

Exactly.

Are we referring to the stadium fans we see during the games or fans in general? NBA fans are now global.

This goes especially true for Manu, Yao Ming and others whose fan base perhaps is an entire nation.

DirkAB
08-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Knicks, Pacers, Pistons probably have the best fans for larger market teams. As far as small market teams I would have to say that the Spurs and Kings are at the top. Overall it is too hard to pick the best, way too subjective.

baseline bum
08-21-2006, 12:29 PM
Probably Seattle. They never had any chance in that series in 2005, but their fans were ridiculous. Detroit had that same fever too, but they were in the Finals, and weren't anywhere close to being that loud in their series with Cleveland or Miami last year.

sickdsm
08-21-2006, 12:31 PM

So Chump says otherwise..........

But if you log onto NBA.com, buy jersey's, hang posters, does it really matter? No. Not this discussion. In other words, SA has poor fans because it matters which players they have on their team? Whether those players have local ties to somewhere? What color their skin is? If Manu and Tony sucked ass, there would be a huge fan drop off?

I'm DEFINATLY not saying my MN fans are better, worse than most i would say, but where was you're global market when you didn't have global players?

ShoogarBear
08-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Lots of different potential definitions for "best fans".

The major problem with Spur fans is in the actual stadium, where they have a tendancy to sit on their hands if things aren't going their way instead of really getting into the game. Spur fans from the late 70s early 80s, while they didn't always fill the house, were about the most raucous I've ever seen.

Celtic fans, as much as I hate them, and Sixer and Knick fans knew how/when to get into a game and fire up their team before there were Jumbotrons or mascots or stupid PA announcers.

Portland fans during their heyday were probably the best ever, but somehow the Jailblazers managed to screw up an unscrewable situation.

Laker fans are a joke by and large. If the Lakers went through a dry spell like the Knicks and Celtics are going through the Staples would be half-full.

monosylab1k
08-21-2006, 01:07 PM

how hardcore were those kings fans in the mitch richmond years?

Crookshanks
08-21-2006, 01:14 PM
This is from last week's issue of the San Antonio Business Journal:

"Scarborough Sports Marketing released a report during the spring indicating that San Antonio pro hoops fans are the most avid in America. That fan avidity report found that a third of San Antonio's adult population considers itself a big NBA fan. The national average was only 9 percent."

I guess that means SA has the most fans (but not necessarily the best). :lol

sickdsm
08-21-2006, 01:18 PM
"What should we do tonight honey?, Go to a Spurs game or the buffet?"

-Fat Antonio residents discussing there many leisure options.

tlongII
08-21-2006, 01:37 PM
Portland. The days of the Jailblazers are now over.

ShoogarBear
08-21-2006, 01:53 PM
Yeah, now the Blazers just suck.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-21-2006, 01:58 PM
"What should we do tonight honey?, Go to a Spurs game or the buffet?"

-Fat Antonio residents discussing there many leisure options.
wow... how long did it take you to come up with that one? http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif

stretch
08-21-2006, 02:22 PM
id have to say the Kings are up there for sure. and they are loud as fuck.

mavs>spurs2
08-21-2006, 02:27 PM
Spurs fans are crazy......so are Detroit fans. I know alot of hardcore mav fans but it seems the AAC is never very loud.

Fillmoe
08-21-2006, 04:01 PM
Sac has 300 some odd straight sellouts..... not to mention we never boo anyone :lol

ShoogarBear
08-21-2006, 04:04 PM
Be interesting to see how loud King fans are when they get a bigger stadium.

DirkAB
08-21-2006, 04:13 PM
how hardcore were those kings fans in the mitch richmond years?

I believe that the attendance levels were high even before they became relevant.

monosylab1k
08-21-2006, 04:26 PM
I believe that the attendance levels were high even before they became relevant.

yeah actually they were. i stand corrected there. i'm starting to come around on kings fans.

CuckingFunt
08-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Sac has 300 some odd straight sellouts..... not to mention we never boo anyone :lol
I've been at many of those sold out games. The technology involved in the holographic projection of several empty seats is awe inspiring.

As for the boo-ing... we might now, officially, be out of people to boo. 'Cept maybe Brad Miller. But, Sacramentans love their hicks, so he should be safe.

shaggy17
08-21-2006, 05:00 PM
Laker fans are VERY loyal. sure they have front running fans (but who doesnt) but I know Laker fans who have loved their team up to this point and there are lots!. This is the greatest NBA team of all time and they still get crowds at staples. It wont matter because the Lakers are a year away from being back as serious title contenders. People can laugh and think thats a joke but the Lakers did not take that huge of a blow on trading shaq and their only going to get better with the team they have now. Their traditional history is proof of their greatness.

dirk4mvp
08-21-2006, 07:29 PM
Grizzlies. I've been to many of the games, and those are some loud, proud fuckers. You ought to heard them back in November when the Mavs came to town. :lol

BUMP
08-21-2006, 07:45 PM

1. Kings fans
2. Laker fans
3. Knick fans

Spurs fans arent the worst but of course they're gonna show up, cause they always have a good team. when they were down by 20 in the 4th qtr of game 2, that place was fuckin empty. they are knowledgable fans though, i'll give em that.

and lmao @ someone who said Heat fans. they are not even real bball fans. before Wade came they were one of the worst in the league. and the whole upper deck was always empty. give me a break :lol

TheSanityAnnex
Laker fans are VERY loyal. sure they have front running fans (but who doesnt) but I know Laker fans who have loved their team up to this point and there are lots!. This is the greatest NBA team of all time and they still get crowds at staples. It wont matter because the Lakers are a year away from being back as serious title contenders. People can laugh and think thats a joke but the Lakers did not take that huge of a blow on trading shaq and their only going to get better with the team they have now. Their traditional history is proof of their greatness.As a resident of Los Angeles county I'd like to share a little secret with you.................

THE MAJORITY OF LAKER FANS ARE NOT LOYAL!!!!!

People in this town hop on whatever is trendy at the time. This year it was the Clippers. I didn't see one Laker fan flying on a car on the freeway this year. Four years ago, I couldn't go to the store without seeing one. Laker fans are as fairweather as they come. Sure, they have some die hard fans, but those are few and far between. Did you happen to notice which fans were at the Clippers games during the playoffs?

ChumpDumper
Detroit has more than one pro franchise?

KFRebel
08-21-2006, 08:08 PM
Kings fans are the best. They've got a forum with Hitler for a mod. :elephant :blah

sickdsm
08-21-2006, 08:30 PM
wow... how long did it take you to come up with that one? http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif

Excuse me from knowingly useing a line that i'll readily admit has been around as long as San Antonio's reputation for being overweight.

How long did it take you to figure out how to use a rolling eyes emoticon?

:rolleyes

Kori Ellis
08-21-2006, 08:30 PM
If best means loud and rowdy at games, then it isn't Spurs fans.

Pistons < Spurs
08-21-2006, 08:55 PM
Kings
Pacers
Pistons

1Parker1
08-21-2006, 09:04 PM
Sixers. We chant E-A-G-L-E-S during home games for crying out loud. You can't get better fans than that...

ABDENOUR POWER
08-21-2006, 10:27 PM
I'm sure you could mention Heat

I hope you're joking. Those are some of the least knowledgable fair weather fans I've ever seen....

baseline bum
08-21-2006, 10:40 PM
Lakers fans loyal? What a crock of shit. I don't hear shit from any of the Laker fans in LA after that team got blown up in 2004. I have not had a single Laker fan outside of people I've known for years come and talk mess to me since 2004, when before it was a daily occurance just walking down the street or grabbing lunch during the three-peat era.

kingsfan
08-21-2006, 10:44 PM
If you took all the celebrities out of Staples, there wouldn't be any fans left!
Kings fans-loyal and loud even when we suckhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smidepressed.gif

TheSanityAnnex
08-21-2006, 10:44 PM
Kings fans getting a lot of love. Too bad their message boards are not.

PAWW
08-21-2006, 11:00 PM
I'd have to give props to kings fans also, but the 8 Hawks fans deserve love too. Talk about loyal to a team that always sucks!

Pistons < Spurs
08-21-2006, 11:14 PM
I'd have to give props to kings fans also, but the 8 Hawks fans deserve love too. Talk about loyal to a team that always sucks!

lol :lol

Sacramental
08-22-2006, 01:09 AM
sacramento has the best fans in the league, hands down. I mean these are people who go to see when they're team is 1-15 just to support their only franchise. over 300 straight sellouts, and not only that, but Sacto has the 3rd highest ticket prices in the league! only LA and New York are more expensive. they bring their cowbells to the game, who else does that? and trustme i've been to a whole lotta games, it is LOUUUUD. god damn i can't even hear the announcer talk. Wow, imagine if this team really does leave like people are saying they will, that would suck :depressed . But other teams i would give a lot of credit to based on their fans would be San Antonio, Indiana, & Mavs fans are pretty loud as well.

monosylab1k
08-22-2006, 09:03 AM
Lakers fans loyal? What a crock of shit. I don't hear shit from any of the Laker fans in LA after that team got blown up in 2004. I have not had a single Laker fan outside of people I've known for years come and talk mess to me since 2004, when before it was a daily occurance just walking down the street or grabbing lunch during the three-peat era.

fucking AMEN, sir.

how many "Lakers fans" magically became "Clippers fans" this season?

Lakers fans are the most fairweather fans in the NBA, possibly the most fairweather in all of pro sports (note that "most fairweather" is different than "worst"). Mavs/Heat fans are a very distant tie for second most fairweather.

samikeyp
08-22-2006, 09:28 AM
If best means loud and rowdy at games, then it isn't Spurs fans.

Sad but true. Unlike the Hemisfair days...that was fun.

Unless you are a fan of no fan and you go to every venue to check them out...no one can no for sure. Every team has great fans and crappy fans.

Spurs fans arent the worst but of course they're gonna show up, cause they always have a good team.

that hasn't always been the case...in the post-Gervin, pre-Robinson era the Spurs were pretty bad but the Arena was always close to being full. Not always sellouts but always close. I give the Kings fans props for having all those sell outs and not having a really good team until about 2000.

To me, the best fans are those who are always supportive no matter how their team does.

The worst are bandwagoners.

IMO, if you are going to commit to being a fan of a team, you stay with that team regardless. Every team has good years and bad years. I know people who couldn't have given a rat's ass about the Spurs in 1988 but in 1990 were in line for their division championship t-shirts. I know people who were "diehard" Bulls fans....until MJ left. (one guy I know was a Bulls fan when MJ retired the first time...became a Magic fan....went back to the Bulls....went to the Spurs....then the Lakers and now he is back to being a Spurs fan) I don't even talk basketball with him anymore. :)

Vizzini
08-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Sixers. We chant E-A-G-L-E-S during home games for crying out loud. You can't get better fans than that...

Yeah, I remember at the last home regular season Detroit Lions game on Monday Night Football, when in the third quarter of a 35-0 blowout at the hands of the Rams, the Silverdome started resonating with the sound of "Let's Go Red Wings!" At that point, being a Lions fan, you thought it couldn't get any worse, boy, it goes to show how little I knew back then.

Sportcamper
08-22-2006, 11:22 AM
tlong: Quote:Portland. The days of the Jailblazers are now over.
:lol :rollin :lol

Police confirm sexual assault report "involves" Zach Randolph... (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ago9paTzf4KlGsr13RpVH9m8vLYF?slug=ap-trailblazers-randolph&prov=ap&type=lgns)

tlongII
08-22-2006, 11:27 AM
tlong: Quote:Portland. The days of the Jailblazers are now over.
:lol :rollin :lol

Police confirm sexual assault report "involves" Zach Randolph... (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ago9paTzf4KlGsr13RpVH9m8vLYF?slug=ap-trailblazers-randolph&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Dammit SC!

TDMVPDPOY
08-22-2006, 11:44 AM

sellouts are misleading statistic, wattabout the ppl that fill up the chairs in the stadium.

did they subtract the season ticket holders who dont turn up to games?

Sportcamper
08-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Hate to burst the kings are great fans bubble but the Maloofs have been trying to move the franchise to Orange County California “The Pond”...or even Las Vegas....

"Some" Sacto Folks are great fans though..... :smokin

mabber
08-22-2006, 03:01 PM
Lots of different potential definitions for "best fans".

The major problem with Spur fans is in the actual stadium, where they have a tendancy to sit on their hands if things aren't going their way instead of really getting into the game. Spur fans from the late 70s early 80s, while they didn't always fill the house, were about the most raucous I've ever seen.

Celtic fans, as much as I hate them, and Sixer and Knick fans knew how/when to get into a game and fire up their team before there were Jumbotrons or mascots or stupid PA announcers.

Portland fans during their heyday were probably the best ever, but somehow the Jailblazers managed to screw up an unscrewable situation.

Laker fans are a joke by and large. If the Lakers went through a dry spell like the Knicks and Celtics are going through the Staples would be half-full.

That's no lie, Blazer fans were the best I've ever seen. I really don't know about today though.

JamStone
08-22-2006, 03:39 PM
Detroit has more than one pro franchise?

Huh?

I don't even get the joke ... specially from a Spurs fans, with the lack of any other pro action in San Antonio, unless you consider professional rodeos.

JamStone
08-22-2006, 03:41 PM
Mid to late 1980s Portland fans were craaaaaazy. The Rose Garden was like the hardest place to play for a long time. They were definitely great fans until the jailblazers ripped their hearts and embarrassed their city.

samikeyp
08-22-2006, 04:07 PM
Huh?

I don't even get the joke ... specially from a Spurs fans, with the lack of any other pro action in San Antonio, unless you consider professional rodeos.

Hey! The Missions and the Rampage are professional sports franchises!

Well....ok, so they are minor league...but still professional! :)

:depressed

:lol

ShoogarBear
08-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Hey! The Missions and the Rampage are professional sports franchises!

Don't forget the Judson Rockets!

samikeyp
08-22-2006, 04:12 PM
Very true. Although they might be starting a decline soon....they finally opened another high school in the JISD.

ShoogarBear
08-22-2006, 04:14 PM
Is this one accredited?

RON ARTEST
08-22-2006, 04:53 PM
Hate to burst the kings are great fans bubble but the Maloofs have been trying to move the franchise to Orange County California “The Pond”...or even Las Vegas....

"Some" Sacto Folks are great fans though..... :smokin
that why the maloofs are working so damn hard to keep the team in sacramento? they have had plenty of opportunities to move the team but they dont want to unless the people in sacto vote no on november 7th. know what the fuck you are talking about before you post, thanks.

RON ARTEST
08-22-2006, 04:55 PM
the spurs fans and kings fans are the absolute best, its not even close. the blazers used to be up there but they really suck now so there isnt much for them to yell and scream about, unless they are swearing at there telivision sets while watching the blazers lose over and over again. :lol

romsey31
08-22-2006, 05:25 PM
Knicks, Pacers, Pistons probably have the best fans for larger market teams. As far as small market teams I would have to say that the Spurs and Kings are at the top. Overall it is too hard to pick the best, way too subjective.
Pacers is not a big market team man.

romsey31
08-22-2006, 05:27 PM
Any franchise that has success is going to enjoy a decent fan base. I think the best fans would probably be ones that are completely loyal even when the team is not so good. That would eliminate the Miami Heat fans and LA Laker fans.

I would maybe go with the Indiana Pacers fans. Now, being a Pistons fan, that's not easy to say. But, they are pretty loyal to the franchise despite everything that has happened the last two years, they are relatively knowledgeable as a whole, and quite frankly, there isn't much else going on in Indianapolis besides them and the Colts so they're going to continue to support the Pacers win or lose.

I would probably say Sacramento fans would be next on the list. And, for the most part, Spurs fans are great as well. And, everything that the Clippers fandom has endured, they deserve some credit.

Detroit has some of the craziest and most volatile fans in the NBA, but that's not a good thing, as we've seen. But, if we were talking about fanaticism, I would mention Pistons fans and Knicks fans as well.

slayermin
08-22-2006, 06:02 PM
Gotta be Knicks fans.

dirk4mvp
08-22-2006, 06:23 PM
:wtf

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-22-2006, 07:16 PM
Don't forget the Judson Rockets!
What about the Silver Stars???

samikeyp
08-22-2006, 10:23 PM
What about the Silver Stars???

Very true...although they are easy to forget. :)

Sacramental
08-23-2006, 02:02 AM
wtf..i just noticed, is that a flower next to the SpursTalk logo?? =O

NBA Junkie
08-23-2006, 02:49 AM
wtf..i just noticed, is that a flower next to the SpursTalk logo?? =O

It's a spur.

Sacramental
08-27-2006, 02:52 AM
according to a 2006 NBA GM Survey:
Which team has the best home-court advantage?
Sacramento Kings 46.2%
San Antonio Spurs 19.2%
Denver Nuggets 17.3%
Others receiving votes: Detroit, Miami, New York, Utah

- - - - - - - - - - -

end of discussion, ladies. =)

ShoogarBear
08-27-2006, 05:05 AM
HCA != "best fans". Denver's perceived HCA is no doubt due to the altitude.

:huh I don't know why the Spurs would have the second-best HCA.

KFRebel
08-27-2006, 07:28 AM
Lack of oxygen?