PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Sonics missing Barry

Quasar
10-24-2004, 02:52 AM
Sonics missing Barry

Web Posted: 10/24/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Gregg Popovich had seen enough. The Spurs signed Brent Barry to supposedly help cure their shooting troubles and all he had done was contribute to the problem.

Through three preseason games, Barry had missed 22 of 27 shots, including 12 of 14 3-point attempts. After a particularly woeful performance Thursday in which Barry missed 10 of 12 shots, Popovich had words for his alleged marksman.

"I told him he was on fire," the Spurs coach said, "and that he needed to stop humiliating his opponent the way he has been."

Even Barry admitted his shooting through the first three exhibition games was better suited for a comedy routine than a coaching clinic. On Saturday night, he finally had more reason to smile than laugh.

Facing his former team, Barry put his passing — and shooting — on display as the Spurs beat the Seattle SuperSonics 91-82 at the SBC Center for their first victory of the preseason. He made three of his four shots, including a 3-pointer, and handed out three assists in 22 minutes.

The Sonics, of course, had seen it before.

"I hate to lose him, let alone lose him to this team where he's going to get so many more open shots," said Seattle guard Ray Allen. "He can also control the offense and understand game situations. He should help those younger guys in (Tony) Parker and (Manu) Ginobili." (edit: He doesn't seem to be such a bad guy after these kind words, eh?)

The Spurs think Barry can help them in a number of areas. He likely will come off the bench, where he can fill in at any of the three perimeter positions.

Barry made a one-handed runner as his first shot Saturday, but he proved more valuable as a distributor. He delivered a tough bounce pass inside to Malik Rose for a layup. He threw a perfect lob that Devin Brown dunked. He hit Beno Udrih with a cross-court pass that led to another basket.

"More than anything, I think his passing is going to make us a better fast-break basketball team," Popovich said. "I think you'll see the ball thrown ahead cross-court more for open shots.

"I think, in general, the basketball IQ of our team improves with him on the floor. He's a coach on the court, so to speak."

After spending the previous five seasons in Seattle, Barry said he still has much to learn about his new team. That's one reason why he struggled with his shooting.

"For me, there's no excuse to miss a shot — shooting is shooting," said Barry, who made better than 40 percent of his 3-point attempts in each of his seasons in Seattle. "But I'm trying to do so many things at this point, in terms of running the plays correctly, defensively having the right mindset, getting into the right spots. Sometimes you try to make things too perfect and nothing works out right."

The Spurs had enough reason to think Barry will be a good fit that they gave the 32-year-old a four-year contract worth about $21 million. He chose the Spurs over Portland and Golden State, where his friend and mentor, Chris Mullin, is general manager, and said he also considered re-signing with the Sonics.

"Obviously, the pieces here are already in place for the team to do great things," Barry said. "I felt like the contributions I could make could help the team out. That's the one thing. I don't want to put too much pressure on myself to come in and do a certain amount.

"A lot of guys feel statistically they have to do certain things to be recognized. I don't really care. I'm not a scorer. I'm a shooter. I'm not a point guard, but I can distribute the ball. I just want to facilitate from the positions I can help and do whatever Pop asks me to do."

Though the Spurs will eventually ask Barry to make a few more shots, they saw little reason to worry when he couldn't find the basket the first three games. They instead made light of his troubles.

After watching Robert Horry, Udrih and Brown miss six-consecutive shots during Thursday's fourth quarter against Philadelphia, Popovich turned and looked down the bench at Barry.

"Hey, Brent," Popovich said. "It looks like you've been working with these guys in practice." :lol

Parker also targeted Barry during the Spurs tip-off luncheon Friday afternoon.

"Great addition, R.C.," Parker said to Spurs general manager R.C. Buford. "If he keeps shooting like this, we're not going to make it past the first round."

Barry laughed.

"That was well-deserved," he said. "It's not easy to miss that many shots."

Article (registration required) (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA102404.1C.BKNSpurs.gamer.1aafcc67.html)

AgSnake361
10-24-2004, 06:48 AM
After watching Robert Horry, Udrih and Brown miss six-consecutive shots during Thursday's fourth quarter against Philadelphia, Popovich turned and looked down the bench at Barry.

"Hey, Brent," Popovich said. "It looks like you've been working with these guys in practice." :lol

Parker also targeted Barry during the Spurs tip-off luncheon Friday afternoon.

"Great addition, R.C.," Parker said to Spurs general manager R.C. Buford. "If he keeps shooting like this, we're not going to make it past the first round."

Barry laughed.

"That was well-deserved," he said. "It's not easy to miss that many shots."

Article (registration required) (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA102404.1C.BKNSpurs.gamer.1aafcc67.html)

Seriously,

If you can't laugh at that, you need a reality check.

KS 361

timvp
10-24-2004, 11:55 AM
Yeah, that was a funny article.

However, it will stop being funny if Barry continues to shoot like this going into the regular season.

T Park
10-24-2004, 12:43 PM
Timvp.

sip some juice and chill man.

Its preseason. Its fall, lets just enjoy that basketball is back.

I cant wait for friday!!! :)