PDA

View Full Version : 2004: Manu's Contribution?

SequSpur
10-24-2004, 01:27 PM
Is Manu's preseason going to reflect this coming season?

Is he going to be a 5-10 ppg type player or is he going to be a league leader in steals and average 15+ ppg and uh........ allstar bid?

Dude got a big contract and a starter's job on a team that could've gotten help elsewhere...

Stephen Jackson......

Is he going to bring that Olympic Gold presence?

ChumpDumper
10-24-2004, 01:31 PM
Is Stephen Jackson going to go 4-12 every night like last night?

Marcus Bryant
10-24-2004, 01:44 PM
Manu has the talent to average 15 to 20 points, 5 boards, and 5 assists per game. He also has a sixth sense to make huge plays in pressure situations.

In the SI preview issue they quote a scout who says he thought that Manu could have been a max player because of his big game, big play ability. No word on if it was Lance Blanks or whoever. I wouldn't say max but I definitely thought he was worth more.

SequSpur
10-24-2004, 01:54 PM
Shouldn't we start seeing that ability now? or 10 games into the season?

boutons
10-24-2004, 02:20 PM
CD,

SJAx played 19 minutes, and took 12 shots vs MIN. Fucking-amazing, and hit about his career avg FG%age. SJax as 6th man providing "instant offense"? Not with his FG%.

He's a poor FG/3G % shooter, so needs lotsa shots to score. Did he hit any big shots for ATL (was there anything categorizable as "big" for ATL last season?). He certainly scored well for ATL as starter and first option, but how he works out as 6th or 7th man for IND remains to be seen.

Manu had one great play last night (right in front of timvp and me, gratias signor Manu). After scoring inside, he hung around the baseline and stole the inbounds pass, and scored. The kind of 1-2 punch that can turn a game around, like Manu stealing off Jefferson in mid-court in the 03 champsionhip game and taking it alone up court to score.

With the energy Manu had last night chasing Ray, I'd say Athens hasn't fatigued him, and he's got his legs and wind back after a month of resting.

E20
10-24-2004, 02:53 PM
Manu will average:

103.2 PPG
34.6 RPG
20.5 APG
16.8 SPG
11.5 BPG
FG% 89
3P% 75
FT% 99
TO 0.5
MPG: 29-31

Book it! :smokin

goliath
10-24-2004, 03:34 PM
The scout's quote from SI on Manu:

"They signed Manu Ginobilli to a six-year, $52 million contract, but I think he was worthy of a max deal b/c he makes big plays in the biggest moments. He has to be among the top 10 NBA players that you'd trust with the ball in the last minute of a tight game."

And it isnt a quote from Lance Blanks. Its an opposing team's scout.

orhe
10-24-2004, 07:12 PM
that's a hell of a compliment

timvp
10-24-2004, 07:24 PM
Manu should have a big year. He should have all the confidence in the world after taking home the Gold. He has a starting spot and the green light from Pop to do whatever he wants.

Phenomanul
10-24-2004, 09:45 PM
Manu should have a big year. He should have all the confidence in the world after taking home the Gold. He has a starting spot and the green light from Pop to do whatever he wants.

That last sentence there is the clincher.... Last year Pop had Manu on a leash.... I think Manu has finally earned Pop's trust in letting him play the style that makes him most effective... even if it means a few turnovers (did it have anything to do with his dominance over team USA...maybe...)

One thing I would like to note, is that I can't remember a turnover by Manu ever costing us a game... (where he was to blame completely... cause I know there was one where TP couldn't hold on to one of his inbound passes).

timvp
10-24-2004, 10:00 PM
One thing I would like to note, is that I can't remember a turnover by Manu ever costing us a game

There was a stretch last season when Manu was struggling and he was making horrible decisions at the end of games. I'm not sure the exact games, but there were a few that he threw away.

But this year I think it'll be different. Manu gets in trouble when he's forcing the action while not in rhythm. If he can stay healthy and Pop lets him start, he'll be a major weapon ... especially in the second half of the year.

ShoogarBear
10-24-2004, 10:00 PM
One thing I would like to note, is that I can't remember a turnover by Manu ever costing us a game... (where he was to blame completely... cause I know there was one where TP couldn't hold on to one of his inbound passes).

Turnovers, no. But down the stretch he did make--not just one--but two of the stupidest steal attempts I've ever seen to cost us the Hornets game in SA last.

Just to bring a little reality into any discussions about The Diefied Manu.

timvp
10-24-2004, 10:05 PM
Turnovers, no. But down the stretch he did make--not just one--but two of the stupidest steal attempts I've ever seen to cost us the Hornets game in SA last.

Just to bring a little reality into any discussions about The Diefied Manu.

Ahhh, yes. That was horrible.

:pctoss

smeagol
10-24-2004, 10:05 PM

I remember the one against the Hornets. I insulted him in front of my TV in my bedroom for that one (even though Manu is, for obvious reasons, my favorite Spur).

adidas11
10-24-2004, 10:51 PM
Manu should have a solid year. An All-star birth? I'm not too sure about that, as competition for the guard position in the West is pretty tight. But Manu should have a good year nonetheless.

I'm seeing him average around 15 to 17 points a game, 4 to 5 rebounds, a few assists as well.

xcoriate
10-25-2004, 12:02 AM
Theres no way he makes the All star game on votes he may get in on coaches decision though.

Das Texan
10-25-2004, 12:11 AM
who gives a fuck about preseason really?

toosmallshoes
10-25-2004, 04:48 AM
you should ask that question to the fringe players who were fighting for a spot and got cut.

toosmallshoes
10-25-2004, 04:51 AM
manu>>>>>>>>>>>>>>sjax

Spurminator
10-25-2004, 09:35 AM
Hopefully, Manu's resting up from this summer. I wouldn't want him trying to score 30 points in a preseason game.

picnroll
10-25-2004, 09:53 AM
Manu will probably have 2 or 3 minutes of playing time nicked off of what he would have gotten if he hadn't put time in this summer given the Spurs abundance of capable swing players. That will hurt his stats a bit.

Duncan would be the same but with Malik, Horry and Massenburg to chose from as the third big I doubt the Spurs will have that luxury.

boutons
10-25-2004, 10:14 AM
Sat night vs SEA, Manu was running his skinny butt off chasing Ray around. Manu showed no lack of energy, no fatigue, no lack of O or D initiatives.

Both he and Tim are looking as fatigued as if they Sat on the beach all summer instead playing on Team USA. This could be the year for SPAO (Spurs peak after October).

Horry didn't play vs SEA, "saving him for the playoffs" again?

polandprzem
10-25-2004, 10:37 AM
Manu will average:

103.2 PPG
34.6 RPG
20.5 APG
16.8 SPG
11.5 BPG
FG% 89
3P% 75
FT% 99
TO 0.5