PDA

View Full Version : DVD Player on Computer Won't Work

Nikos
10-24-2004, 01:51 PM
Ever since I wipped out everything on my computer earlier this year I noticed my DVD player hasn't been working.

I am not sure if I deleted the neccesary drivers to play DVD's, a codec or....?

But I have been downloading some free shareware DVD players to test it, and it always starts the DVD for about 4-5 seconds then freezes the program.

Might I have deleted some drivers? I thought if you have a DVD player and a program to play them, that it would automatically play (and it shouldn't matter if you deleted the originally program that came with the computer that let you watch DVDs etc...).

Anyone know how I can find out why it won't let me play DVDs without freezing?

SequSpur
10-24-2004, 01:58 PM
User Error.

exstatic
10-24-2004, 03:22 PM
Nikos - You may have whacked the driver. What OS are you using? Have you checked in control panel/system/devices to see what the device status is?

ChumpDumper
10-24-2004, 03:23 PM
Does it play CDs?

Nikos
10-24-2004, 05:49 PM
I use XP.

Yes Cds work.

ChumpDumper
10-24-2004, 05:54 PM
Might have to shell out for some DVD software if you don't have it on you. The freeware might just not work with your drive.

I'd check the device manager to make sure that your computer sees it as a DVD and not just a CD-ROM.

I'd go to Windows Update and/or the drive manufacturer's site to make sure you have a good driver. The manufacturer likely has the latest.