PDA

View Full Version : MIddle School Teacher Burns Two US Flags in front of students

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-22-2006, 12:35 PM
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060822/NEWS01/608220378

No warning, no 'hey, if this is going to offend you, you might want to leave the room'.

Just walks up and sets fire to two flags in front of different classes, then hides behind freedom of speech.

If I were in his class I would have exercised my freedom of speech upside his head.

Extra Stout
08-22-2006, 12:42 PM
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060822/NEWS01/608220378

No warning, no 'hey, if this is going to offend you, you might want to leave the room'.

Just walks up and sets fire to two flags in front of different classes, then hides behind freedom of speech.

If I were in his class I would have exercised my freedom of speech upside his head.
According to the article, his actions did not appear to be politically motivated.

But I question the appropriateness of that display in a classroom environment.

Also, it's not a good idea to light things on fire in a school full of kids.

If I were in charge, I would reprimand, probably suspend, but not fire him.

velik_m
08-22-2006, 12:43 PM
McKim is a wierd surname.

i think burning the flag in our country mght be illegal. (just ours ofcourse)

08-22-2006, 12:43 PM
But "if a school is masking their objections to flag burning under the guise of safety, it raises questions about freedom of speech and academic freedom," she said. She said her group would monitor the case but did not plan to get involved at this point.

Cripes, now that's a reach.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-22-2006, 12:45 PM
Also, it's not a good idea to light things on fire in a school full of kids.

Great point, but looks like his defenders are already saying that's nothing but an excuse to trash the guy.

2centsworth
08-22-2006, 12:51 PM
Great point, but looks like his defenders are already saying that's nothing but an excuse to trash the guy.
for some it will be an excuse. Unfortunately politics will get in the way of doing what's right.

2centsworth
08-22-2006, 12:53 PM
So if a Kid goes and burns a house down by copying his teacher, does the teacher bear any responsibilty?

velik_m
08-22-2006, 12:56 PM
So if a Kid goes and burns a house down by copying his teacher, does the teacher bear any responsibilty?

not if kid's father is a smoker.

2centsworth
08-22-2006, 12:58 PM
not if kid's father is a smoker.
the father is just one more person to sue.

velik_m
08-22-2006, 12:59 PM
the father is just one more person to sue.

:lol

ChumpDumper
08-22-2006, 02:15 PM
Well, if burning it is a bad idea safety-wise, would you give him the same treatment if he stomped or spat on it?

2centsworth
08-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Well, if burning it is a bad idea safety-wise, would you give him the same treatment if he stomped or spat on it?
depends what you mean by same treatment. If he's not making any type of political statement and just trying to illustrate the meaning of free speech,so beit. No one should have a problem with that. If he's going political activist, and then no matter what he did his political views should be kept out of the classroom.

Oh, Gee!!
08-22-2006, 03:11 PM
They must let anybody teach in Klantucky:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34891

Yonivore
08-22-2006, 03:30 PM
If they were his flags and he didn't burn them in a reckless manner, didn't damage any property, or cause anyone any injury; who really gives a shit?

But, I'm with the earlier poster. Given the litigious nature of our society these days, all it would have taken was one asthmatic getting a whiff of smoke and this guy's out of a job and probably in court.

Nbadan
08-23-2006, 02:36 PM
Teacher reassigned after burning U.S. flags in class

A Stuart Middle School teacher has been removed from the classroom after he burned two American flags in class during a lesson on freedom of speech, Jefferson County Public Schools officials said.

Dan Holden, who teaches seventh-grade social studies, burned small flags in two different classes Friday and asked students to write an opinion paper about it, district spokeswoman Lauren Roberts said.

A teacher in the school district since 1979, Holden has been temporarily reassigned to non-instructional duties pending a district investigation. The district also alerted city fire officials, who are conducting their own investigation.

“Certainly we’re concerned about the safety aspect,” Roberts said, along with “the judgment of using that type of demonstration in a class.”

Courier Journal (http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060821/NEWS01/60821025)

I think it's a GREAT idea, in fact, burning the flag and then asking them to write a paper about their reaction is much more engaging than reading about burning a flag in a book. Sounds like an assignment given by a thoughtful teacher who cares about children thinking and learning.

The fear that he could have burned down the classroom/school seems really paranoid. It was a small flag. It just seems unlikely the school could burn down, and if we "what if....." everything to death our kids aren't going to ever get to experience anything first hand.

Spurminator
08-23-2006, 03:03 PM
The fear that he could have burned down the classroom/school seems really paranoid.

I don't think it's paranoid at all. I think it's a deliberate, convenient excuse so the decision-makers can finagle their way out of having to discuss the Freedom of Speech implications.

It's rare that teachers actually try to engage their students anymore. This is the kind of lesson that would be very memorable for the students and help shape their critical thinking at a time when they are ready to begin thinking in those terms (honestly, it's not like we're talking about Kindergarteners here).

I suppose some good will come of this as it will inspire constructive debate inside and outside of his classroom. Hopefully another district will give him the job he deserves.

spurster
08-23-2006, 03:11 PM
Burning anything in a classroom (except for appropriate science experiments) is pretty bad judgment. Otherwise, it's not a bad idea to make students think about the issue presuming that students can get a good grade if they write about why their teacher should be put in jail. The teacher could have videos of burning the flag safely outside to make the same point without trying to burn the school down.