PDA

View Full Version : king greedy james says goal is to become first athlete in world to be billionaire

ducks
08-22-2006, 03:57 PM
Cavaliers star says goal is to become first athlete in world to be billionaire
By Brian Windhorst
Beacon Journal sportswriter

SAPPORO, JAPAN - Just inside room 748 at the Renaissance Hotel, two mannequins guarded the door and marble hallway like Nike sentinels.

Dressed head-to-toe in Team USA basketball garb -- a valuable association Nike has paid millions to exploit -- on their feet were LeBron James' two newest shoe designs. The walls were plastered with James photos, model action shots, studio shots and high-fashion glamour shots.

In front of gold curtains and a giant rack of Nike basketballs, the man himself lounged on a black leather couch, his back resting against a throw pillow with his picture on it. James listened intently to questions in broken English. His answers instantly were translated into a microphone and beamed to more than a dozen reporters' earphones as flashbulbs popped endlessly.

After a while, the Chinese media were halted and ushered out by bilingual Nike public relations staff members. James stepped into another room in the suite, past the black glass bar, to hang out with friend and teammate Chris Paul while Japanese journalists were hustled in for their face time.

It might seem routine or inconsequential, another bland press conference on a gloomy Monday afternoon, but this was billion-dollar business. James might indeed be in Asia to help Team USA win the 2006 FIBA World Championship without salary, but it is all part of a giant marketing scheme with massive stakes.

Whether he'll make it or not, James has set the goal of becoming the world's first athlete billionaire. Those ambitious plans go well beyond the saturated U.S. market.

They aim to tap the massive growth potential for basketball in all of Asia, where millions of teenagers are awakening to basketball in an exploding marketplace.

Athletic shoe and apparel retailers are growing in China. The two major shoe companies, Nike and the newly merged adidas-Reebok, are battling in the massive market, and James smells opportunity.

``I say all the time, and I tell my friends and teammates, that you have to go global,'' James said. ``In basketball and business.''

It is more than just talk.

James and his new company, LRMR Marketing, have made China and Japan huge targets. As they outlined at a seminar last month in Akron, James has a strategy to increase his exposure in Asia by Aug. 8, 2008, the opening of the Beijing Olympics.

That's why it was a lock that he would be playing for Team USA this summer in the world championship. Additionally, the Cavaliers are in talks to open the NBA season next year playing in China, and he's planning on being back in 2008 for the Olympics.

``It is only going to help my business,'' James said. ``Once I knew the world games were going to be in Japan, I knew I was going to be on board.''

There is serious competition, especially from Reebok pitchman and Chinese national hero Yao Ming and adidas' top endorser, Tracy McGrady. But James is working on it, even taking Mandarin Chinese lessons with the hope of being able to conduct interviews by 2008.

The interview session Monday came on an afternoon when Team USA was off and no media access was granted to players. Nike organized the James press conferences to make sure the large Asian media contingent could get exclusive access when there were no games or other interviews to distract them.

Nike's influence on Team USA is extensive and has been criticized. Some have dubbed Team USA as ``Team Nike'' because nine of the players have Nike ties. Some have suggested that head coach Mike Krzyzewski, who has a Nike contract at Duke, was part of the plot. Of course, when Reebok's Allen Iverson wasn't asked to join the team, the conspiracy theory only deepened.

Nike designed a new campaign for the world championship dubbed ``The Ambassadors,'' featuring James, Argentina's Manu Ginobili, Spain's Pau Gasol, France's Tony Parker, Germany's Dirk Nowitzki and the next potential Asian star, Yi Jianlian of China.

Other campaigns have been directed specifically to the Chinese, including an initial launch of just 1,000 pairs of a special edition James shoe last winter that had teenagers lining up at stores like American teens used to clamor for Michael Jordan's new signature designs.

Team USA's appearances in exhibition games this month in Guangzhou, China, and Seoul, South Korea, fueled the rapid interest.

``There is a craving (in Asia) for basketball. You can see it in people's eyes,'' Krzyzewski said. ``You get that atmosphere with that populous. I see this being the global sport eventually.''

Dre_7
08-22-2006, 04:06 PM
Why do you hate Lebron?

ShoogarBear
08-22-2006, 04:07 PM
:lmao @ the thought of the two richest men in the world being Bill Gates and LeBron.

ducks would shoot himself.

samikeyp
Why do you hate Lebron?

I have often wondered the same thing.

ducks
tiger woods is going to beat him!

Phenomanul
08-22-2006, 04:08 PM
Cavaliers star says goal is to become first athlete in world to be billionaire
By Brian Windhorst
Beacon Journal sportswriter

SAPPORO, JAPAN - Just inside room 748 at the Renaissance Hotel, two mannequins guarded the door and marble hallway like Nike sentinels.

Dressed head-to-toe in Team USA basketball garb -- a valuable association Nike has paid millions to exploit -- on their feet were LeBron James' two newest shoe designs. The walls were plastered with James photos, model action shots, studio shots and high-fashion glamour shots.

In front of gold curtains and a giant rack of Nike basketballs, the man himself lounged on a black leather couch, his back resting against a throw pillow with his picture on it. James listened intently to questions in broken English. His answers instantly were translated into a microphone and beamed to more than a dozen reporters' earphones as flashbulbs popped endlessly.

After a while, the Chinese media were halted and ushered out by bilingual Nike public relations staff members. James stepped into another room in the suite, past the black glass bar, to hang out with friend and teammate Chris Paul while Japanese journalists were hustled in for their face time.

It might seem routine or inconsequential, another bland press conference on a gloomy Monday afternoon, but this was billion-dollar business. James might indeed be in Asia to help Team USA win the 2006 FIBA World Championship without salary, but it is all part of a giant marketing scheme with massive stakes.

Whether he'll make it or not, James has set the goal of becoming the world's first athlete billionaire. Those ambitious plans go well beyond the saturated U.S. market.

They aim to tap the massive growth potential for basketball in all of Asia, where millions of teenagers are awakening to basketball in an exploding marketplace.

Athletic shoe and apparel retailers are growing in China. The two major shoe companies, Nike and the newly merged adidas-Reebok, are battling in the massive market, and James smells opportunity.

``I say all the time, and I tell my friends and teammates, that you have to go global,'' James said. ``In basketball and business.''

It is more than just talk.

James and his new company, LRMR Marketing, have made China and Japan huge targets. As they outlined at a seminar last month in Akron, James has a strategy to increase his exposure in Asia by Aug. 8, 2008, the opening of the Beijing Olympics.

That's why it was a lock that he would be playing for Team USA this summer in the world championship. Additionally, the Cavaliers are in talks to open the NBA season next year playing in China, and he's planning on being back in 2008 for the Olympics.

``It is only going to help my business,'' James said. ``Once I knew the world games were going to be in Japan, I knew I was going to be on board.''

There is serious competition, especially from Reebok pitchman and Chinese national hero Yao Ming and adidas' top endorser, Tracy McGrady. But James is working on it, even taking Mandarin Chinese lessons with the hope of being able to conduct interviews by 2008.

The interview session Monday came on an afternoon when Team USA was off and no media access was granted to players. Nike organized the James press conferences to make sure the large Asian media contingent could get exclusive access when there were no games or other interviews to distract them.

Nike's influence on Team USA is extensive and has been criticized. Some have dubbed Team USA as ``Team Nike'' because nine of the players have Nike ties. Some have suggested that head coach Mike Krzyzewski, who has a Nike contract at Duke, was part of the plot. Of course, when Reebok's Allen Iverson wasn't asked to join the team, the conspiracy theory only deepened.

Nike designed a new campaign for the world championship dubbed ``The Ambassadors,'' featuring James, Argentina's Manu Ginobili, Spain's Pau Gasol, France's Tony Parker, Germany's Dirk Nowitzki and the next potential Asian star, Yi Jianlian of China.

Other campaigns have been directed specifically to the Chinese, including an initial launch of just 1,000 pairs of a special edition James shoe last winter that had teenagers lining up at stores like American teens used to clamor for Michael Jordan's new signature designs.

Team USA's appearances in exhibition games this month in Guangzhou, China, and Seoul, South Korea, fueled the rapid interest.

``There is a craving (in Asia) for basketball. You can see it in people's eyes,'' Krzyzewski said. ``You get that atmosphere with that populous. I see this being the global sport eventually.''

:wow

ducks
08-22-2006, 04:13 PM
I wonder if that is why bowen was cut no nike contract

tlongII
08-22-2006, 04:15 PM
tiger woods is going to beat him!

I think you're right there. Tiger will be a billionaire before LeBron. They'll probably both get there though.

Dre_7
08-22-2006, 04:19 PM
ducks, you gonna answer my question?

I have always wondered why you hate him with such a passion.

ducks
08-22-2006, 04:37 PM
tiger made made 87 million last year

I will list my reasons later

I am working now maybe this evening

samikeyp
08-22-2006, 04:41 PM
I agree...Tiger will get there first.

Mixability
08-22-2006, 04:42 PM
I wonder if that is why bowen was cut no nike contract

he was featured in the Spurs Nike commercial, but yeah no big contract.

ALVAREZ6
08-22-2006, 05:40 PM
I want to see those Manu and Pau shoes.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-22-2006, 07:41 PM
Ducks are you some kind of communist?

Why any red blooded american who is a fan of free markets should completely understand James' motives.

Fillmoe
08-22-2006, 08:41 PM
How is MJ not a billionaire?

Exactly.... everyone rocks jordans... they are like 110 a piece..... he has to be a billionaire!

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-22-2006, 09:34 PM
How is MJ not a billionaire?

Gambling.

resistanze
08-22-2006, 10:15 PM
^^^lol.

kobe_bryant
08-23-2006, 12:26 AM
lebron better save his money, never know when you have to buy a 2 million dollar ring

Pero
08-23-2006, 12:34 PM

:rolleyes

But you are wrong Ducks in the title. Nowhere did I see that he said it himself that he wants to be the first athlete billionare. Unless I missed it?

Dre_7
08-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Ducks, why do you hate Lerbon so much?

NuGGeTs-FaN
08-23-2006, 04:00 PM
Ducks is just insecure and he searches for confidence by criticising others. As Kobe said 'i dont think he was hugged enough as a child" :smokin

just kidding ducks :lol

50 cent
08-23-2006, 04:22 PM
Tiger will beat him to the punch.

kskonn
08-23-2006, 04:34 PM
:rolleyes

But you are wrong Ducks in the title. Nowhere did I see that he said it himself that he wants to be the first athlete billionare. Unless I missed it?

"Whether he'll make it or not, James has set the goal of becoming the world's first athlete billionaire. Those ambitious plans go well beyond the saturated U.S. market."

emo serb
08-23-2006, 08:33 PM
lebron better save his money, never know when you have to buy a 2 million dollar ring
You paid 4 million for yours remember?

spurs=bling
08-23-2006, 10:00 PM
:rollin

East Coast Babe
08-23-2006, 11:31 PM

:lol Seeing that article about LeBron, he may be buying more than one!!! I give him credit for being a savvy businessman. But, I also see why I don't like him too. The guy is a jerk!

KFRebel
08-24-2006, 07:47 AM
Emo Serb, is it me or your pic in the SIG is disturbingly funny?

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
08-24-2006, 07:58 AM
Lebron won't make it, He's nowhere near Jordan's level in popularity

Pero
08-24-2006, 08:28 AM
"Whether he'll make it or not, James has set the goal of becoming the world's first athlete billionaire. Those ambitious plans go well beyond the saturated U.S. market."

Yes, I saw that. But James still doesn`t say these words here. He doesn`t say: "I want to be the first bilionare athlete in the world!".

boutons_
08-24-2006, 10:27 AM
"being a savvy businessman"

I bet LBJ knows fuck all about business or marketing or finance. The sporting goods companies will do all the marketing, and his financial/business advisors and lawyers will handle the details and contracts. LBJ is a passive pawn in this money making game.

Darrin
08-24-2006, 10:31 AM
He has the potential to do this. Remember, he is not of an age where Michael Jordan was playing in the NBA yet, and in a lot of ways, Jordan was a ground-breaker in the size of endorsement contracts. James has potentially 20 more years in the NBA. If I were Cleveland right now, I would be sweating. Extension or not, he could make that billion faster playing in a town like Chicago, New York, or Los Angeles.

East Coast Babe
08-25-2006, 01:41 AM
"being a savvy businessman"

I bet LBJ knows fuck all about business or marketing or finance. The sporting goods companies will do all the marketing, and his financial/business advisors and lawyers will handle the details and contracts. LBJ is a passive pawn in this money making game.

:lol :lol You are undoubtedly right about that! I gave him too much credit. Thanks for straightening me out!

emo serb
08-25-2006, 08:52 AM
Emo Serb, is it me or your pic in the SIG is disturbingly funny?
That's what I was going for.

jacobdrj
08-25-2006, 11:59 AM
Ehh, i suppose the sig is different, but it is kind of boring, honestly. Not the most creative. I suppose it just takes a little more to make me laugh.

polandprzem
08-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Gambling.

:lol: indeed

Well James is more like Mike then we thought. A buisiness all the way, the scale is different the times are different the market is different but same attitude.

The Great Fantastic
08-25-2006, 03:35 PM
I just wish that every professional athlete could be a billionaire. I'm also glad to hear that money was Lebron's motivating factor to play for Team USA instead of pride. Makes me melt inside!