PDA

View Full Version : Harrington deal complete.

romsey31
08-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Indianapolis, Aug. 22, 2006 - The Indiana Pacers announced Tuesday they have acquired forward Al Harrington and center John Edwards from the Atlanta Hawks in exchange for a future first-round draft pick.
The sign-and-trade agreement brings two former Pacers back to the team. Harrington, the Pacers’ No. 1 pick (25th overall) in 1998, played six seasons for the Pacers, averaging 10.1 points per game. He was traded to Atlanta on July 15, 2004, for Stephen Jackson. In two seasons with the Hawks, the 6-9, 250-pound Harrington averaged 18.1 ppg including a career-best 18.6 ppg in the 2005-06 season. He also averaged 6.9 rpg in those two seasons.

“We’re very pleased to have Al back in Indiana,” said Pacers President of Basketball Operations Larry Bird, who coached Harrington his first two seasons with the Pacers. “We think he brings an added dimension to our team. We know what he can do and he’ll make us a deeper team and a better team. He’s also a very good guy. It’s a pleasure to have his personality back as well.”

“Al was a very good player for us for six years,” said Pacers CEO and President Donnie Walsh. “Going to Atlanta has expanded his game and he became one of the most prized free agents on the market. What makes this special is now Al fits perfectly into the team and style of play we’re trying to achieve. It’s a perfect time for him to come back. It’s also special because Al comes back to a place where he was one of our most popular players and a solid asset in the community. I think it’s a win-win situation for the team and Al.”

Edwards, a 7-foot, 275-pounder who was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Pacers in 2004, was signed as a free agent by the Hawks last summer. He played in 40 games with Atlanta, averaging 1.8 ppg and 1.2 rpg. He played in 25 games for the Pacers in the 2004-05 season, averaging 1.2 ppg.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-22-2006, 05:27 PM
Thank god this is over. Now there's only Bonzi....

romsey31
08-22-2006, 05:29 PM
Thank god this is over. Now there's only Bonzi....

Walsh blamed premature media reports for some of the misunderstandings regarding the negotiations for Harrington, which date to the start of the league's transaction period on July 1.
"I was reading the deal was imminent when I hadn't even talked with Arn Tellem yet," Walsh said.
"From my vantage point, there's been nothing different about the way this deal has gone than they normally go. They take time. They're not done until they're done. To comment on them before then goes nowhere."

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060822/SPORTS04/608220361/1088

ABDENOUR POWER
08-22-2006, 05:38 PM
Good, I'm sick of hearing about this junk.

shaggy17
08-22-2006, 05:40 PM
If Jermaine can stop being Grant Hill (injury wise) this could be a 2nd round team or so. Their pg's are still bleh (Tinsley is another Grant Hill who is overpaid and Jas got demoted to 3rd string I believe) but their wing players/front court is very solid.

Bruno
08-22-2006, 07:08 PM
Pacers are maybe my favorite EC team.
To me the key of their success is Tinsley.
I agree with Shaggy17, Daniels/Jax/Granger/Harrington/JO/Foster/Harrison is a great and verstile 7 men rotation at SG/SFPF/C.
Sarunas can be a quite good backup PG but Tinsley really need to be a reliable starting PG.

JLH Fans
08-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Pacers are maybe my favorite EC team.
I agree with Shaggy17, Daniels/Jax/Granger/Harrington/JO/Foster/Harrison is a great and verstile 7 men rotation at SG/SFPF/C.
Sarunas can be a quite good backup PG but Tinsley really need to be a reliable starting PG.
They need a relaible center and PG (tow most important post) but they haven't been either of them for years.

Bruno
08-22-2006, 07:29 PM
They need a relaible center and PG (tow most important post) but they haven't been either of them for years.

I find that they are fine at C with Harrisson/Foster/O'Neal.

ABDENOUR POWER
08-22-2006, 08:28 PM

Well that sucks for them, considering he's always injured half the season.

NuGGeTs-FaN
08-22-2006, 08:31 PM
DANG IT! I heard the Nuggets were very close to getting Maggette :drunk That would have been awesome. I blame Donald Sterling, its easy to blame him :lol

TDMVPDPOY
08-22-2006, 11:36 PM
problem is tinsley is he thinks his a postup player........his pretty good though

JamStone
08-22-2006, 11:41 PM
Pacers are a good team with or without Harrington, but he does make them better. But, as has already been intimated, the key to their success depends on the health of Jermaine O'Neal and Jamaal Tinsley.

kingsfan
08-23-2006, 12:17 AM
Bout dam time! This shit has gone on too long but the Hawks will fuck up their pick, as usual, so why even bother?

shaggy17
08-24-2006, 04:34 PM
I still expect Miami to win the East against next season. they have every key player back along with their coach. Pacers still have alot of question marks and a huge one they have is Jermaine staying healthy and maybe being a superstar this season.

mavs>spurs2
08-24-2006, 07:19 PM
Bulls may shock the Heat......just a hunch.