PDA

View Full Version : Duncan warned Parker playing about playing for France

TMTTRIO
08-22-2006, 10:36 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5892562

Tim Duncan kept warning his young San Antonio Spurs teammate Tony Parker that if he kept playing for France in the summers, eventually it would catch up to him. This time around, it's not burnout, as it has been in the past. Parker broke his right index finger last week and is out of the world championships.

What this really means: One of the more underrated reasons the San Antonio Spurs were tired last year and have struggled early seemingly every other season, has been the international players all playing in the summer. Duncan competed for the U.S. team every year until this year, while Parker played for France, Manu Ginobili for Argentina and the list goes on and on.

There were those who believed Parker could get through these games by playing with a splint and taping his fingers together. But if he did that, he could also dislocate it and be out at least three more months.

This is an ongoing issue with many of the international players in the NBA — the percentage is approaching 25 percent entering this season. What both the players and the owners are discovering is the amount of commitment it requires to play in the off-season detracts immensely from the NBA and the enormous contracts. That's why so many people keep discussing the internationalism of the NBA and future divisions in other countries. That way, everything would be NBA-oriented and there wouldn't be any divided commitments.

LaMarcus Bryant
08-22-2006, 10:45 PM
Fucking parker, go ddamn our international players. he just got set back 8 months with shot doctor chip i bet.

picnroll
08-22-2006, 10:52 PM
Good advice Duncan.

Not going to be a very popular opinion with our flag waving, anthem singing. jingoistic sports fans.

ducks
08-22-2006, 10:52 PM
start the trade rumors
or what manu did that to

spurschick
08-22-2006, 10:55 PM
Manu didn't play last summer for the first time in years and ended up having a shitty season. So much for the logic of being tired.

Kori Ellis
08-22-2006, 10:58 PM
Fucking parker, go ddamn our international players. he just got set back 8 months with shot doctor chip i bet.
He'll be out 4-6 weeks, how did he get set back 8 months?

Kori Ellis
08-22-2006, 10:58 PM
Manu didn't play last summer for the first time in years and ended up having a shitty season. So much for the logic of being tired.

That's what I was thinking.

ducks
08-22-2006, 10:59 PM
so why was manu tired
?
??
?

mavs>spurs2
08-22-2006, 11:01 PM

This isn't much of a worry with the younger players, such as Parker. They are young enough that their bodies will have time to rest before training camp, it can only help him get better. I'd be a little weary of Manu playing. As the years go by and he gets older, his chances of fatigue and injury greatly increase.

milkyway21
08-22-2006, 11:01 PM
3 months to heal?

I wonder if Tony Parker can play for the Spurs' scheduled game in France on Oct 8? that would be so disappointing for his fans there if he is not eligible to play :D

Kori Ellis
08-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Duncan competed for the U.S. team every year until this year

:wtf

Someone should fact check.

ducks
it will take 4 weeks
geez people

picnroll
so why was manu tired
?
??
?
Opponents figured out the best way to slow him down was to knee him in the thighs.

Kori Ellis
08-22-2006, 11:03 PM
3 months to heal?

I wonder if Tony Parker can play for the Spurs' scheduled game in France on Oct 8? that would be so disappointing for his fans there if he is not eligible to play :D

It doesn't say he'll be out 3 months. It says IF he were to play right now and dislocate it then he could be out 3 months.

mavs>spurs2
08-22-2006, 11:04 PM
Opponents figured out the best way to slow him down was to knee him in the thighs.

Thigh contusions suck, i've had my fair share. Bad ones hurt for weeks.

milkyway21
08-22-2006, 11:10 PM
It doesn't say he'll be out 3 months. It says IF he were to play right now and dislocate it then he could be out 3 months.yap i got it now Kori. :lol :lol :lol

spurschick
08-22-2006, 11:15 PM
I'd be a little weary of Manu playing. As the years go by and he gets older, his chances of fatigue and injury greatly increase.

Guess you haven't been watching the WCs...

mavs>spurs2
08-22-2006, 11:20 PM
Guess you haven't been watching the WCs...

Yes I have been watching. Although he isn't showing signs yet, it's common knowledge that as the years go by fatigue is a bigger factor. And players are most likely to sustain an injury while fatigued.

TDMVPDPOY
08-22-2006, 11:25 PM
TRADE PARKER!!!

for ................lets throw in eva for a few draft picks!!

ChumpDumper
08-22-2006, 11:27 PM
Yes I have been watching. Although he isn't showing signs yet, it's common knowledge that as the years go by fatigue is a bigger factor. And players are most likely to sustain an injury while fatigued.So you're "weary" of Dirk's playing too, right?

mavs>spurs2
08-22-2006, 11:31 PM
So you're "weary" of Dirk's playing too, right?

Yes and no. Although Dirk is a little younger than Manu, only 28, when he gets into his 30's I would rather he didn't play. But hey that's his choice not mine.

spurschick
08-22-2006, 11:31 PM
it's common knowledge that as the years go by fatigue is a bigger factor.

:lol And you think that only applies to athletes?

mavs>spurs2
08-22-2006, 11:34 PM
:lol And you think that only applies to athletes?

:lol Lmao of course not. Fortunately i'm no where near that age yet.

J.T.
08-22-2006, 11:38 PM
Thigh contusions suck, i've had my fair share. Bad ones hurt for weeks.

Ankle rolls hurt more. I had one earlier this year that did took about 3 and half months to completely go away.

mavs>spurs2
08-22-2006, 11:52 PM
Ankle rolls hurt more. I had one earlier this year that did took about 3 and half months to completely go away.

Last year, my junior year, I had a terrible ankle sprain that bothered me for at least 2 months. And since it was during district I didn't want coach to know that i was playing when I was supposed to be resting I just put an ankle brace on and played throught it. Even after it healed it stayed swollen for months and i can just now point my toe completely where before it was stiff. I've been through my share of injuries(sprained ankles, broken ribs, even a torn muscle) but in my experience a bad thigh contusion is, while not as serious, more painful.

spurschick
08-22-2006, 11:53 PM
:lol Lmao of course not. Fortunately i'm no where near that age yet.

And what age exactly are you referring too?

MannyIsGod
08-22-2006, 11:58 PM
Good advice Duncan.

Not going to be a very popular opinion with our flag waving, anthem singing. jingoistic sports fans.:lmao

How different are you? You simply value the Spurs more than the national team. When other people switch it around you act as if you're somehow above it and for whatever reason it is a good thing? Either way, its sports, so what does it matter which one is valued more?

MannyIsGod
08-22-2006, 11:59 PM
And I call bullshit on this article. Why aren't there any direct quotes? Why can't the author get his facts correct?

Louis
08-23-2006, 12:31 AM
Parker should be ready in a month or 2 at the most..

No excuses for your demise in the NBA season....

ChumpDumper
08-23-2006, 12:49 AM
What will your excuse be?

smeagol
08-23-2006, 01:02 AM
so why was manu tired
?
??
?
Manu was injured, not tired.

Kori Ellis
08-23-2006, 01:03 AM
Manu was injured, not tired.

Oh he was tired too. He mentioned being exhausted/worn out a lot throughout the season.

dav4463
08-23-2006, 01:08 AM
I think it varies by player. Some guys can play year round and stay sharp. Other guys need some rest during the off season. Of course there is a chance of injury, but that could happen anytime.

smeagol
08-23-2006, 01:13 AM
Yes and no. Although Dirk is a little younger than Manu, only 28, when he gets into his 30's I would rather he didn't play. But hey that's his choice not mine.
Manu is not 30 yet. He just turned 29.

Louis
08-23-2006, 01:44 AM
Season hasn't started yet..

Let the excuses begin.....

THE SIXTH MAN
08-23-2006, 02:07 AM

Don't you have school tomorrow?

Pero
08-23-2006, 02:18 AM
Don`t I remember that Manu didn`t play for Argentina last season???? And then he wasn`t himself in the NBA season this year....?

Pero
08-23-2006, 02:19 AM
Nevermind... jUst read the rest of the posts.

Pero
08-23-2006, 02:20 AM
And what age exactly are you referring too?

:lmao

mathbzh
08-23-2006, 02:55 AM
To protect Tim, Manu and Tony... I propose to miss the playoff this year
:elephant

Obstructed_View
08-23-2006, 04:23 AM

Go back to usenet, dumbass.

Parker 09
08-23-2006, 07:50 AM
I think Manu really needs the World Championships. This will help him play through the whole blaming himself for the spurs getting eliminated thing. Get his mind off 'The Foul'
and come back mentally ready for next season. He's a fit kid he'll be fine.

wildbill2u
08-23-2006, 12:04 PM
There is always risk in life. Atheletes are in a profession that not only causes the risk factor on injuries to go up, the injuries themselves can severely limit the value of a player to a team.

therefore , the NFL allows teams to limit the risk to star athletes in their contracts with clauses that penalize a player for getting injured on a motorcycle for instance. I don't know if the NBA does this.

You can't stop a player from engaging in all risky activities, but you can prevent him from collecting under his contract if he cannot perform due to his activities. He should make the choice--it's his paycheck.

Slinkyman
08-23-2006, 04:28 PM
I still don't understand how players get "tired" from playing basketball for a couple hours a day. I wish i could tell my boss on friday that after 5 straight back to backs that i was worn out and needed next week off. :lol Why does an NBA player need the entire summer to rest? Being an athlete means you're constantly keeping yourself at the highest level, resting for a long period would hurt more then help. ie Jerry Rice played into his 40's because he never rested and always kept himself in top shape.

sanman53
08-23-2006, 04:37 PM
Geez, international NBA divisions!

Imagine the Rodeo road trip then!

Oh, Gee!!
08-23-2006, 04:50 PM
We need Billups

SequSpur
08-23-2006, 05:38 PM
Duncan rested the whole year especially back to backs. Hopefully that doesn't carry over also.

LaMarcus Bryant
08-23-2006, 05:52 PM

That is 4-6 weeks without practicing a jump shot, what i meant is his jumpshot got set back at least 8 months

RON ARTEST
08-23-2006, 06:52 PM
4-6 weeks when the season starts?

v2freak
08-24-2006, 01:34 AM
To protect Tim, Manu and Tony... I propose to miss the playoff this year
:elephant

Tim advised them to rest during the summers so they'd be fresh for the upcoming season. The goal of an NBA season is to win an NBA championship via a good playoff run

fred33
08-24-2006, 02:57 AM
if tony don't play with the national team the summer . he will lose sponsor fan and respect team usa for timmy it's not the same thing they are lebron wade kobe carmelo

mathbzh
08-24-2006, 04:53 AM
Tim advised them to rest during the summers so they'd be fresh for the upcoming season. The goal of an NBA season is to win an NBA championship via a good playoff run

Did you take my post seriously?????

v2freak
08-24-2006, 09:18 AM
Fight sarcasm with sarcasm

cheguevara
08-24-2006, 09:25 AM
what part of "he could have had same exact injury on a gym over the summer" don't you guys get?

v2freak
08-24-2006, 09:39 AM
Do you not believe that a higher level of competition would yield a higher risk of injury? Games at the gym are probably far less paced and far less chaotic.

cheguevara
08-24-2006, 09:41 AM
Do you not believe that a higher level of competition would yield a higher risk of injury? Games at the gym are probably far less paced and far less chaotic.

you think so? you obviously never played in a gym before.

Pero
08-24-2006, 09:50 AM
Didn`t Duncan cut his foot at home by steping on his own glass or something?
Maybe he should be going home where he can injure himself. :rolleyes

v2freak
08-24-2006, 09:54 AM
you think so? you obviously never played in a gym before.

And what is your basis for comparison? Have you played in international basketball competitions before?

Pero - a tired argument..

cheguevara
08-24-2006, 09:55 AM
And what is your basis for comparison? Have you played in international basketball competitions before?

don't need to. I've SEEN international competitions.

Pero
08-24-2006, 09:55 AM

Oh the irony... :lol

v2freak
08-24-2006, 10:05 AM
don't need to. I've SEEN international competitions.

Seeing and feeling are very different things. I'd also like to venture this: how physically imposing are the people you're playing at the gym? Are they anything like the centers that play in leagues? 6'10" and above?

Pero - what's ironic?

cheguevara
08-24-2006, 10:07 AM
v2freak, any person with common sense can sense the intensity of games by watching them live. especially if we're basketball fans. come on :rolleyes

not only that but about 50% of injuries happen in PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!!

cheguevara
08-24-2006, 10:10 AM
furthermore, there is no evidence whatsoever that proves that INTENSITY affects the rate of injury in sports. NO EVIDENCE

Pero
08-24-2006, 10:12 AM
Pero - what's ironic?

The thing is that players can get injured in A LOT of ways. They can get just as easily injured at home as well as if they`re playing basketball.
Does that mean they should be locked in a padded white room when not playing? NO.
To me saying that my argument is a tired one, and not seeing that your own argument is the same, is ironic.

v2freak
08-24-2006, 10:24 AM
v2freak, any person with common sense can sense the intensity of games by watching them live. especially if we're basketball fans. come on :rolleyes

not only that but about 50% of injuries happen in PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!!

Are you serious? I cannot begin to describe the difference between seeing and doing

furthermore, there is no evidence whatsoever that proves that INTENSITY affects the rate of injury in sports. NO EVIDENCE

cheguevara, any person with common sense can deduce that an intense game with lots of slashers is more likely to inflict harm on someone than a lackadaisical game full of jumpshooters.

The thing is that players can get injured in A LOT of ways. They can get just as easily injured at home as well as if they`re playing basketball.
Does that mean they should be locked in a padded white room when not playing? NO.
To me saying that my argument is a tired one, and not seeing that your own argument is the same, is ironic.

Yes, let's stop the players from doing everything, because evidently, going to the bathroom in your home and playing a game that is notorious for wearing out the body (specifically the joints) are no different from one another.

picnroll
08-24-2006, 10:25 AM
Every player has said the off season is when they work on their game, improve it, rest up, do their conditioning. The off season is when Manu could be conditioning himself to withstand the bangs and bumps of the NBA season. The off season is when Parker be could working intensively with Engelland on his outside shot. Instead they're dicking around in Japan.

Pero
08-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Again, the off season that Manu didn`t play for Argentina, and how did he do in the NBA?

Anyways, it doesn`t matter what we think, players have the right to choose.
Have to go study now... :(

picnroll
08-24-2006, 10:35 AM
Again, the off season that Manu didn`t play for Argentina, and how did he do in the NBA?

Anyways, it doesn`t matter what we think, players have the right to choose.
Have to go study now... :(
The season he played in the WC and twisted his ankle, how did he play for the Spurs? You saying he was too rested last year and that's why he crapped out?

Maybe he'd have been even shittier last year had he played. Maybe he was just worn and one summer off wasn't enough.

cheguevara
08-24-2006, 10:36 AM
Are you serious? I cannot begin to describe the difference between seeing and doing

are you saying fans of basketball cannot appreciate the intensity of games?? gimme a fucking break. You can't see the difference in intensity between a regular season game vs. a playoff game vs. an allstar game?????

cheguevara, any person with common sense can deduce that an intense game with lots of slashers is more likely to inflict harm on someone than a lackadaisical game full of jumpshooters.

again, you must not understand the nature of Tony's injury. He injured his finger when trying to play defense. Noone was slashing, etc as you say. Not only that, he got injured in a tuneup game, not a real intense WC game

cheguevara
08-24-2006, 10:38 AM
Every player has said the off season is when they work on their game, improve it, rest up, do their conditioning. The off season is when Manu could be conditioning himself to withstand the bangs and bumps of the NBA season. The off season is when Parker be could working intensively with Engelland on his outside shot. Instead they're dicking around in Japan.

Sorry to dissapoint you but Manu is as conditioned for NBA season as he will ever be.

picnroll
08-24-2006, 10:46 AM
Sorry to dissapoint you but Manu is as conditioned for NBA season as he will ever be.
You the Spurs trainer?

cheguevara
08-24-2006, 10:49 AM
You the Spurs trainer?

no comment

picnroll
08-24-2006, 10:53 AM
no comment
You could have left off comment.

v2freak
08-24-2006, 11:07 AM
are you saying fans of basketball cannot appreciate the intensity of games?? gimme a fucking break. You can't see the difference in intensity between a regular season game vs. a playoff game vs. an allstar game?????

again, you must not understand the nature of Tony's injury. He injured his finger when trying to play defense. Noone was slashing, etc as you say. Not only that, he got injured in a tuneup game, not a real intense WC game

Unfortunately we do not see eye to eye on the intensity issue. Basketball fan or not, there is a huge difference between doing and seeing. I can't put it any other way or simplify it any more.

What player was he guarding, and what was the player doing when Tony got injured? My example was an example only, it was not directed at a specific incident. Just because no Spurs players have sustained concussions yet doesn't mean we should wait around for it to happen.

Lady M
08-25-2006, 08:43 PM
one of the best french handball player can't make a worldchampionship because he burned himself in his shower and France finish third.
i'm not a great athlete of course but one of my biggest sprain ankle was in my bedroom when i slided.
maybe you must put the player in the white room in the psychiatric hospitals maybe they can don't hurt.

BUMP
08-26-2006, 07:47 AM
:wow

you serious bro? i've rolled my ankle before and played through it and been fine the next day. they're nothing. your problem is that you might not be wearing a shoe with ankle support. i heard if you're wearing low tops than they can actually sideline you from a game but ive never had that happen to me. you dont need braces or any of that crap. just shoes with ankle support

wildbill2u
08-26-2006, 12:28 PM
That is 4-6 weeks without practicing a jump shot, what i meant is his jumpshot got set back at least 8 months
What jump shot? Tony has a jump shot? Could've fooled me.

td4mvp21
08-26-2006, 12:30 PM
Maybe he won't be able to jack up so many shots anymore. :angel

Obstructed_View
08-26-2006, 03:20 PM
Due to the change in mechanics, wasn't this the year that his jump shot was supposed to come together? With the time he loses due to the injury, that's out the door.

ShoogarBear
08-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Maybe the problem with his jump shot was that his finger was too straight.

Maybe now his shot becomes Ray Allenesque.

Bruno
08-26-2006, 03:54 PM
With the time he loses due to the injury, that's out the door.

He won't really loss time because of this injury.

If the diagnostic is good and if parker will be able to play 4/6 weeks after his injury, he will loss something like one week of practice with Engelland. The fact that Parker's injury will hurt his shooting training is higly overrated.

mavs>spurs2
08-26-2006, 06:30 PM
He won't really loss time because of this injury.

If the diagnostic is good and if parker will be able to play 4/6 weeks after his injury, he will loss something like one week of practice with Engelland. The fact that Parker's injury will hurt his shooting training is higly overrated.

Yea it won't hurt his shooting training, because he has already wasted most of the summer. If he ever wants to become more than just a good player he needs to develop a consistant outside shot.

Kori Ellis
08-26-2006, 06:32 PM
Yea it won't hurt his shooting training, because he has already wasted most of the summer. If he ever wants to become more than just a good player he needs to develop a consistant outside shot.

What makes you think he wasted most of them summer?

Parker has already improved a lot. He shot over 45% outside 16 feet from the All-Star break on. Don't think the Mavs series, where he had a badly pulled groin and bruised thighs so deep that he could barely walk, is any indicator of how good he is.

mavs>spurs2
08-26-2006, 06:46 PM
What makes you think he wasted most of them summer?

Parker has already improved a lot. He shot over 45% outside 16 feet from the All-Star break on. Don't think the Mavs series, where he had a badly pulled groin and bruised thighs so deep that he could barely walk, is any indicator of how good he is.

I know much more about Tony Parker than what was shown in the semifinals. He has games where he shoots a high % and games where he can't throw a rock into the ocean. His outside shot is still too streaky. You say he has improved his shot from outside of 16 feet, but what about from 23 feet? He is still a poor 3pt shooter. That's the main thing he should have been working on this summer, not FIBA.

Kori Ellis
08-26-2006, 06:50 PM
I know much more about Tony Parker than what was shown in the semifinals. He has games where he shoots a high % and games where he can't throw a rock into the ocean. His outside shot is still too streaky. You say he has improved his shot from outside of 16 feet, but what about from 23 feet? He is still a poor 3pt shooter. That's the main thing he should have been working on this summer, not FIBA.

He just got to "FIBA" in July. Spurs were out of the playoffs since May. So how do you know that he hasn't been working on his outside shooting?

mavs>spurs2
08-26-2006, 06:58 PM
He just got to "FIBA" in July. Spurs were out of the playoffs since May. So how do you know that he hasn't been working on his outside shooting?

Hopefully for his sake he has. But I just don't see him going straight from playoffs to FIBA without a rest. That doesn't leave him much time to have been working on his shot.

Kori Ellis
08-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Hopefully for his sake he has. But I just don't see him going straight from playoffs to FIBA without a rest. That doesn't leave him much time to have been working on his shot.

He went on vacation for 2 weeks after the playoffs to give time to heal his quads and he's been practicing ever since. Even if he's in L.A. with Eva or anywhere else, he's always practicing. Even when he was training with FIBA, he was still practicing his outside shooting. Last summer, Chip Engelland (shooting coach) even travelled with him to some places.

mavs>spurs2
08-26-2006, 07:05 PM
He went on vacation for 2 weeks after the playoffs to give time to heal his quads and he's been practicing ever since. Even if he's in L.A. with Eva or anywhere else, he's always practicing. Even when he was training with FIBA, he was still practicing his outside shooting. Last summer, Chip Engelland (shooting coach) even travelled with his to some places.

Hopefully for his sake he has been working and improved his outside shooting. Improving that shot is something he has to do in order to become more than just a "good" player. A conistant shot will help keep the defense honest, allowing him more options.

Kori Ellis
08-26-2006, 07:25 PM
Well last year, they just began fixing his mechanics. He didn't even have his thumb in the right position on the ball. So hopefully within the next year, his shot will really start to improve.

MannyIsGod
08-26-2006, 07:28 PM
People will continue to talk out of their asses.

mavs>spurs2
08-26-2006, 08:02 PM
People will continue to talk out of their asses.

I sure hope that comment wasn't directed at me. If you think that Tony Parker doesn't need to improve that shot of his then you don't know anything about basketball.

mavs>spurs2
08-26-2006, 08:02 PM
On the other hand, part of me just says just ignore it because the majority of the posters here say that you are an asshole.

smeagol
08-26-2006, 09:16 PM
On the other hand, part of me just says just ignore it because the majority of the posters here say that you are an asshole.
He is not an asshole. He can sometimes be an asshole, which is totally different. And most of the posters, inlcuding me, like Manny.

v2freak
08-26-2006, 09:30 PM
How has Parker been playing basketball for so long without a real jumpshot? He needs a coach to help him? Players should just do what works for them (Shawn Marion)

Bruno
08-27-2006, 06:05 AM
Yea it won't hurt his shooting training, because he has already wasted most of the summer.

I've said that it won't hurt his shooting training because his injury happen at the less worst moment. He injured his hand just before the WC (You played 9 games in 15 days when you're in the top8, not the best moment) and a 10 days trip in France just after the WC for his sponsors and a charity event (I doubt he would have praticed a lot during this trip). All in all he would have really re-work on his jumpshoot after September 16th that is to say one month after his injury.
And you can work on your jumpshoot even during the season, it's not like working on a drive or trying to gain muscles, sooting training isn't the most tiring training. Parker and Engelland work on Parker's shoot a lot during the regular season (shooting drills, practices, analyse of games...)

Bruno
08-27-2006, 06:11 AM
How has Parker been playing basketball for so long without a real jumpshot? He needs a coach to help him? Players should just do what works for them (Shawn Marion)

The trouble is that Shawn Marion isn't a good jumpshooter. 33% isn't really good (add to that that he is streaky) and Parker could have done that with his old technique. The goal for Parker is to be a realiable jumpshooter and you can't be reliable when your jumpshoot is flat like Parker's former one. Parker's goal is something like 40% for 3P and 80% for FT.