PDA

View Full Version : Racial "Survivor"

RandomGuy
08-23-2006, 12:51 PM
I liked the first survivor, but the rash of sequels and me-toos was dumb.

I thought it couldn't get any worse, but then saw this:

New 'Survivor' divides groups by race

47 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - Get ready for a segregated "Survivor." Race will matter on the upcoming season of the CBS show as contestants will be divided into four tribes by ethnicity. That means blacks, whites, Latinos and Asians in separate groups.

The announcement was made on CBS' Early Show. Host Jeff Probst says the idea "actually came from the criticism that 'Survivor' was not ethnically diverse enough." He says the twist fits in perfectly with what "Survivor" does, saying the show is "a social experiment. And this is adding another layer to that experiment." Probst says contestants had mixed reactions to the racial divisions.

This time the new Survivors are stranded on the Cook Islands in the South Pacific. The castaways include a police officer, a heavy metal guitarist, an attorney and a nail salon manager. The new season of Survivor debuts September 14th

Make of this what you will. I can only hope it is going to help the national dialogue. (sighs heavily)

(edited a typo)

velik_m
08-23-2006, 01:02 PM
the ######...er...the blacks will win!

Yonivore
08-23-2006, 01:05 PM
the ######...er...the blacks will win!
Nah, they're too lazy.

sa_butta
08-23-2006, 01:22 PM
Asians will outsmart all.

midgetonadonkey
08-23-2006, 01:43 PM
The mexicans will steal everything from the other tribes and then take the shit to the island pawn shop.

sa_butta
08-23-2006, 01:59 PM
The blacks will probably shoot each other.

Spurminator
08-23-2006, 02:11 PM
LOS ANGELES - Get ready for a segregated "Survivor." Race will matter on the upcoming season of the CBS show as contestants will be divided into four tribes by ethnicity. That means blacks, whites, Latinos and Asians in separate groups.

Fitting this announcement would come out of Los Angeles... Sounds just like LA.

Spurminator
08-23-2006, 02:13 PM
I heard during the taping of the show, they had to hunt down the white tribe every day for taping because they kept moving further and further away from the blacks and Mexicans.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-23-2006, 02:39 PM
Each team has certain advantages and disadvantages. The Mexicans can all sleep comfortably in a 3ft by 3ft hut, but will face starvation because if they find any fruit they will then go looking for a freeway overpass to sell it at. Meanwhile the black team will have the fire first because they can't barbecue without it, but may have dehydration issues because of a lack of Koolaid on the island. The Asians have the good fortune that the competition is in the wilderness so there won't be any automobiles involved, although there is always a rowing event on that show. With out a left lane to go slowly down they may get lost and never reach the "i-rand". And the honkeys will be the first team to fall apart when they realize that all the Mexicans, blacks, and Asians that do all the work are on the other teams.

Yeah, I'm going to hell.

cheguevara
08-23-2006, 03:25 PM
wow that sounds like a really bad idea. like we needed more racism

the worst thing is that they will probably pick some damn mexicans to misrepresent all latinos.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-23-2006, 03:39 PM
Knowing how PC networks have to be lest they offend some group or another and risk a boycott my bet is the only group that will come across as stereotypical will be members of the white guys. I'll lay down money that there will be at least one "good ol' boy" in there, but by the end of the show the producers will at the very least piece together some sound bites saying that he's really learned an important lesson about himself and others by being on the show. And we will all love CBS for their bold programming that has ended racism in the entire world.

Yonivore
08-23-2006, 03:59 PM
Next season on Survivor -- Christians, Druze, Jews, and Muslims square off in "SURVIVOR: BEIRUT!"

Oh, wait, no, that's just the news.

DarkReign
08-23-2006, 04:03 PM
I heard during the taping of the show, they had to hunt down the white tribe every day for taping because they kept moving further and further away from the blacks and Mexicans.

I seriously, seriously laughed my fucking ass off.

:lmao

DarkReign
08-23-2006, 04:05 PM
Knowing how PC networks have to be lest they offend some group or another and risk a boycott my bet is the only group that will come across as stereotypical will be members of the white guys. I'll lay down money that there will be at least one "good ol' boy" in there, but by the end of the show the producers will at the very least piece together some sound bites saying that he's really learned an important lesson about himself and others by being on the show. And we will all love CBS for their bold programming that has ended racism in the entire world.

Yup. The only sure thing is that white people will look very stupid, unathletic and unintelligent. That way minorities can be happy that white *GASP* even laugh at themselves.

A redneck is funny, I dont care what ethnicity you are. Theyre just dumb. Dumb = funny. Check my sig for proof.

Crookshanks
08-23-2006, 04:39 PM
While some of the above comments were definately un-PC, they were nontheless extremely hilarious and they cracked me up! :blah What's really funny is that those comments are probably what most people will be thinking - they just won't say it out loud! :oops

The comment about the white tribe moving further and further from the Mexicans and blacks was priceless!!!

RandomGuy
08-23-2006, 05:43 PM
Next season on Survivor -- Christians, Druze, Jews, and Muslims square off in "SURVIVOR: BEIRUT!"

Oh, wait, no, that's just the news.
:lol

jochhejaam
08-25-2006, 06:27 AM
New Yorkers seeking censorship? How righteous. :rolleyes What's the big deal here? IMO most people that watch Survivor (I don't,) would pull for the team that was most representative of their ethnicity. I don't think this show will be a breeding ground for bigotry or a catalyst for race riots.

We used to have a local African American columnist who was published in the Toledo Blade (William Brower). He once stated that when he watched a football game he would root for the team that had the most African Americans players.

NYC Officials Want New 'Survivor' Pulled

Aug 24, 9:54 PM (ET)

By SARA KUGLER

NEW YORK (AP) - As CBS prepares to launch a new season of the hit reality show "Survivor," this time featuring teams divided by race, enraged city officials are saying it promotes divisiveness and are calling for the network to reconsider.

"The idea of having a battle of the races is preposterous," City Councilman John Liu said Thursday. "How could anybody be so desperate for ratings?"

For the first portion of the 13th season of "Survivor," which premieres Sept. 14, the contestants competing for the $1 million prize while stranded on the Cook Islands in the South Pacific will be divided into four teams - blacks, Asians, Latinos and whites.

Liu, who is Asian-American, said he was launching a campaign urging CBS to pull the show because it could encourage racial division and promote negative typecasts. He and a coalition of officials, including the council's black, Latino and Asian caucus, planned to rally at City Hall on Friday.

In a statement, CBS Entertainment, which is part of New York-based CBS Corp. (CBS), defended the ethnic twist, saying it follows the show's tradition of introducing new creative elements and casting structures that reflect cultural and social issues.

"CBS fully recognizes the controversial nature of this format but has full confidence in the producers and their ability to produce the program in a responsible manner," the statement said. "'Survivor' is a program that is no stranger to controversy and has always answered its critics on the screen."

Last season, the show divided contestants into groups of older men, younger men, older women and younger women.

The show's host, Jeff Probst, said the network was aware this season's race ploy might offend viewers.

"It's very risky because you're bringing up a topic that is a hot button," he told asap, The Associated Press service for younger readers. "There's a history of segregation you can't ignore. It is part of our history.

"For that, it's much safer to say, 'No, let's just stick with things the way they are. Let's don't be the network to rock the boat. Let's not have "Survivor" try something new,'" he said. "But the biases from home can't affect you. This is an equal opportunity game."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060825/D8JN5GH01.html