PDA

View Full Version : Help me out here.....

CharlieMac
08-23-2006, 11:01 PM
I am taking one of those online intelligence tests to verify and prove that I am a genius like my mom always said I was and I have hit a slight bump in the road. I cant figure out what these things mean.

The S R of -1 is an I N

4 C in the H H

2 L in a S P of G

12 D of J

2 P in a D

4 S in a D of C

2 S of a C

150 P in the B

E S H M P N S with 555 (I'mfairly certain thiss one has to do with "Every _____ hollywood movie phone number starts with 555)

42 is the A to L, the U, and E

3 M T S - C, F and K

I did manage to figure out a few of them though.....

24 H in a D

1024 B in a K

666 is the N of the B

12 N on a C

40 D of L

99 B of B on the W

S W and the 7 D

8 H in a R W D

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=18364

jaffies
08-23-2006, 11:48 PM
The S R of -1 is an I N
The square root of -1 is an imaginary number

4 C in the H H
4 chambers in the human heart

2 L in a S P of G
2 lenses in a single/standard pair of glasses

12 D of J
12 disciples of Jesus

2 P in a D
2 people in a duo
2 parts in a duet
2 players in a duet

4 S in a D of C
4 suits in a deck of cards

2 S of a C
2 sides of a coin??

150 P in the B
150 psalms in the bible

E S H M P N S with 555 (I'mfairly certain thiss one has to do with "Every _____ hollywood movie phone number starts with 555)
every single/stupid hollywood movie phone number begins with 555

42 is the A to L, the U, and E
42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything

3 M T S - C, F and K
3 major temperature scales - celsius, fahrenheit and kelvin

I am taking one of those online intelligence tests to verify and prove that I am a genius like my mom always said I was and I have hit a slight bump in the road. I cant figure out what these things mean.

fuck that..
you don't need a damn test to tell if you're a genius..
a real genius can get these answers through google

Darrin
08-24-2006, 03:10 AM
This board has an obsession with bashing people who research. I know that cheating on an intelligence test is one thing, but isn't the flow of information from the internet (while 90% bullshit) actually a good thing?

For instance, I recently found 3 or 4 essays by Thoreau that I'm reading without going to a public library to find them. I've read John Donne's Meditation XVII without cracking a book, and the Decameron. A television show makes a reference I don't understand, I can't research what it means? John Masefield's Sea Fever, for instance, was a recent search. www.m-w.com is a lifesaver for proofreading. I've been able to interpret a single phrase into gaelic, a tool I have only used once, and am not currently storing on a bookshelf somewhere. That's just in the past month or so.

What's so bad about Google? Do I learn more holding a book in my hand that staring at a computer screen?

Melmart1
08-24-2006, 03:21 AM
I think most of these are in past threads that we have already hashed out. Just do a search in The Club and you will find it.

Darrin
08-24-2006, 03:43 AM
I think most of these are in past threads that we have already hashed out. Just do a search in The Club and you will find it.

In essence, I need to use 'The Club' google?

Melmart1
08-24-2006, 04:05 AM
In essence, I need to use 'The Club' google?
Don't go there. :rolleyes I am NOT a google hater.

leemajors
08-24-2006, 07:53 AM
This board has an obsession with bashing people who research. I know that cheating on an intelligence test is one thing, but isn't the flow of information from the internet (while 90% bullshit) actually a good thing?

For instance, I recently found 3 or 4 essays by Thoreau that I'm reading without going to a public library to find them. I've read John Donne's Meditation XVII without cracking a book, and the Decameron. A television show makes a reference I don't understand, I can't research what it means? John Masefield's Sea Fever, for instance, was a recent search. www.m-w.com is a lifesaver for proofreading. I've been able to interpret a single phrase into gaelic, a tool I have only used once, and am not currently storing on a bookshelf somewhere. That's just in the past month or so.

What's so bad about Google? Do I learn more holding a book in my hand that staring at a computer screen?

you found the decameron online? that's a hefty text - i think i would rather read it in print for my eyes' sake...

CharlieMac
08-24-2006, 08:09 AM

I don't have a problem with people that Google an argument in the Political Forum, I have a problem with people who won't admit to it. Everyone has been an expert on Hezbollah all along? Yeah, right.

Darrin
08-24-2006, 10:24 AM
you found the decameron online? that's a hefty text - i think i would rather read it in print for my eyes' sake...

It is impossible to find a complete text online. At least, I haven't found one yet. Here's what I did find: http://www.stg.brown.edu/projects/decameron/engDecShowText.php?myID=d01intro&expand=day01

Darrin
08-24-2006, 10:55 AM
www.gutenberg.org or www.gutenberg.cc

I can now abandon my use of google.

End of rant.

Jekka
08-24-2006, 11:06 AM

Project Gutenberg (http://www.gutenberg.org/) - the most amazing site on the internet for anyone who doesn't want to pay for classical literature/philosophy (with the added bonus of being able to cut and paste quotes into papers). I've got a bunch of sites in my bookmarks like this that have been beyond useful while getting my degree.

Edit: Dammit, elpimpo beat me to it.

Also, this site was invaluable to me while getting through my senior thesis - http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbook2.html - that's the Medieval Sourcebook's Full Texts page - lots of interesting stuff on there written by the early Christian saints, political leaders, etc.