PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Preseason Report Card

Kori Ellis
10-25-2004, 01:30 AM
Spurs Preseason Report Card

http://www.woai.com/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=D14F1835-C147-4D5A-98D9-2AFF33DDBA5A

By LJ Ellis
FullSportPress.com

STARTERS

Tim Duncan
Duncan has had an amazing preseason so far. Usually he doesn’t find his rhythm for a couple of months, but this season he’s come out of the gates on fire. If you’d extrapolate his per minute averages in the preseason to the usual 38 minutes per game he sees during the regular season, he’d be averaging 32.6 points, 12.2 rebounds, 3.67 blocks and 2.45 steals. His shooting percentages are just as astronomical: 72.1% from the field, 77.3% from the line and a perfect 1-for-1 from beyond the three-point line. Could it be possible that Duncan has gotten even better? Let’s hope so. GRADE: A+

Bruce Bowen
So far in the preseason, Bowen hasn’t really stood out on the court. That is mainly due to the fact that Pop hasn’t put him on the other team’s best player yet, so his defense hasn’t been put on display. His offense, on the other hand, has been below average. It seems as if he’s forcing his penetrations too much, when he should settle for the perimeter shot. His best asset in the preseason has been his obvious leadership role on the court. GRADE: C

Rasho Nesterovic
After working out feverishly during the summer to get stronger to be better equipped to hold his space in the lane, Nesterovic has made notable strides during preseason play. His added strength, along with a newfound offensive confidence, has allowed him to be more effective around the basket. He’s hitting 56.7% of his shots that include a handful of dunks. His defensive rotations have been good but the Spurs will need him to rebound more. Hopefully his preseason play translates into regular season and postseason success. GRADE: B+

Manu Ginobili
You can sense the confidence that Ginobili brings to the court now that he’s in his third year in the league. His Olympic gold medal and his starting spot in the rotation have made him a notably more self-assured player. Ginobili’s aggressiveness on both ends of the court will be big for the Spurs this season. He’s attacking both offensively and defensively, which is when he’s at his best. Although he’s struggling some with his perimeter shooting (36.4%), Ginobili has otherwise been on top of his game. GRADE: B+

Tony Parker
Working on his shot over the summer has apparently paid off. During preseason play, Parker is shooting 61.1% from the field and 50.0% from three-point range. He’s been assertive offensively and has ran the offense well. As the Spurs and his agent work to finalize a contract extension, his preseason play should illustrate how important Parker is to the future of the franchise. As the season rolls around, it would be great to see Parker raise his assist numbers to become a well-rounded point guard. GRADE: B+

BENCH

Devin Brown
Brown has been the Spurs’ second leading scorer in the preseason, averaging 10.5 points per game. He’s been a real spark and his play could earn him big minutes in the regular season. Though it is improbable that he would be able to unseat Bowen in the starting rotation, he’s been able to keep the pressure on for additional playing time. His defense has been solid and his rebounding (5.3 in 23.3 minutes per game) has been spectacular. If the minutes are there, this could be a breakout season for Brown. GRADE: A

Malik Rose
After a frustrating campaign where he spent more time on the pine than on the court, Rose has been the first player off the bench for the Spurs in preseason. He’s responded with great energy and a relentlessness that only he brings to the floor. He is also noticeably trimmer than last season, which has allowed him to be more explosive around the basket. The downside to his preseason play has been his shooting. He’ll need to drastically improve upon his current 27.8% clip to stay out of Pop’s doghouse. GRADE: B-

Brent Barry
Barry has had a rough go of it from the perimeter so far in preseason. He’s hitting only 25.8% from the field and 18.8% from beyond the arc. His defense has also been atrocious at times as he adjusts to the Spurs’ philosophy. Aside from his shooting and defense, it has been obvious how Barry is going to help the Spurs. He can help lead the fast break and he provides an additional ballhandler on the court. Being the keen passer and smart player that he is, he’ll make everyone around him better. GRADE: C+

Beno Udrih
In the first four preseason games, Udrih has been impressive. His composure and knowledge of how to run an NBA offense has been off the charts for a rookie point guard. He understands where to be on the court and how to attack the opposition’s defense. While his shooting hasn't been as great as he’d hope, it’s nice to see that he has NBA range on his shot. Hopefully he can stay healthy and continue to be a solid backup for Parker. GRADE: B+

Robert Horry
Big Shot Rob has been shooting well so far since last May’s disaster. He has hit 50.0% from the field and 2-for-3 from downtown. His rebounding numbers could be a little better but other than that, it’s the same ol’ Robert Horry. GRADE: B

Tony Massenburg
Hardnosed and tough are two words that describe Massenburg. He utilizes his brute strength to pummel opponents. The same ruggedness that Kevin Willis brought to the court the last couple seasons can be duplicated by Massenburg. GRADE: B

Romain Sato
The Spurs’ second round draft pick has been a workhorse in the exhibition games. With his amazing wingspan, he can rebound and defend at a high level. To make the Spurs, he’ll have to prove to the coaches that he has enough offense to survive. His shot has been off so far in preseason but he’s getting to the line. He’s the type of player the Spurs could stash on the injured list and hope that he develops during practice. GRADE: B-

Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje
Though it is unlikely that he’ll make the final roster, Boumtje-Boumtje has played well in spots. His rebounding is very good and his defensive rotations have been respectable. Where he struggles is offensively. He’s not a player that you can have on the court in a tight regular season game due to his total lack of offensive skill. GRADE: C+

Marque Perry
Played for both of the Spurs’ summer league teams and has played well in spurts in preseason. His game isn’t NBA ready at the moment, but he could develop into a backup. If he’s kept this season, it will be to serve as the emergency third point guard. GRADE: C+

James Thomas
Looks lost on the court and doesn’t seem to possess the athletic ability to play the power forward position in the NBA. He’s supposed to be a great rebounder but hasn’t really shown much on the boards. He dives on the court for loose balls and is trying hard, but don’t look for him to make the final cut. Word is he’ll be cut on Monday. GRADE: D

smeagol
10-25-2004, 09:11 AM
Nice report, Thanks.

I'm particularly happy with what I hear ('cuase I only saw the first game against NY) about Beno and Malik's game.

Beno, because I did not know what to expect.

Malik, because his game seems to be on its way up (probably the only way to go given the way he played last year).

tlongII
10-25-2004, 11:22 AM
Pretty high grades for a team that is 1 and 3 in the pre-season. :rolleyes

ChumpDumper
10-25-2004, 11:26 AM
Spoken like a man completely ignorant of the Spurs' preseason rotations.

Marcus Bryant
10-25-2004, 11:33 AM
Written like a man who gets off on offending "homer" Spurs fans and generating huffy responses from them. Looks like he succeeded.

Marcus Bryant
10-25-2004, 11:41 AM

ChumpDumper
10-25-2004, 11:47 AM
Keep trying, cupcake. You'll get it right....

Marcus Bryant
10-25-2004, 11:48 AM
'tis better to hit the wrong button, than to take tlong seriously. Sooner or later, butch, you'll figure it out.

ChumpDumper
10-25-2004, 11:54 AM
Never have taken him seriously.
butchStill haven't figured that one out, have you? Talk about ignorance....

Marcus Bryant
10-25-2004, 11:57 AM
Apparently you missed the memo in regards to tlong.

As for that "one", I think it's rather clear.

timvp
10-25-2004, 01:15 PM
Malik, because his game seems to be on its way up (probably the only way to go given the way he played last year).

True.

Probably the best news regarding him is that Pop is playing him as the 6th man.

Now if Malik can start hitting for a higher percentage, all will be right in Spursdom.

Medvedenko
10-25-2004, 02:09 PM
Not looking to cohesive for the Spurs at the moment. I have faith they'll put a good season together. They alwasy seem to start this way. My Lakers are starting off really good, considering they're make shift line-ups there putting out. Still, it's early.....

Duff McCartney
10-25-2004, 02:16 PM
Still, it's early.....

Way too early to say it's early..shouldn't even say anything about it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-25-2004, 02:22 PM
Not looking to cohesive for the Spurs at the moment.

Yeah, it's shocking we're not looking too hot considering the minutes for our bench players have outnumbered the starters 2 to 1... it's called seeing what you got, we already know about our starting five.

. My Lakers are starting off really good, considering they're make shift line-ups there putting out.

I'd imagine any team would look good if they played their franchise player 40 minutes a game in preseason.

tlongII
10-25-2004, 02:44 PM
That is supposed to be a PRE-SEASON report card, yet the Spurs are 1 and 3 in the pre-season! How can they get an average grade of B+ with a 1 and 3 record??? They should be at C- or D+. What a HORRIBLE article!

ChumpDumper
10-25-2004, 02:44 PM
Tell that to LJ's face.

timvp
10-25-2004, 02:46 PM
That is supposed to be a PRE-SEASON report card, yet the Spurs are 1 and 3 in the pre-season! How can they get an average grade of B+ with a 1 and 3 record??? They should be at C- or D+. What a HORRIBLE article!

I give this an F.

:flipoff

tlongII
10-25-2004, 02:52 PM
You must be grading on a curve... :rolleyes

smeagol
10-25-2004, 03:06 PM
They should be at C- or D+.

And you know this because you saw the games . . . :rolleyes

STFU!

tlongII
10-25-2004, 03:12 PM
And you know this because you saw the games . . . :rolleyes

STFU!

I know this because I can read the paper.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-25-2004, 03:16 PM
tbong,

Only a tard would get his panties in a wad over a fan site for some other team and how they graded the preseason.

tlongII
10-25-2004, 03:28 PM
tbong,

Only a tard would get his panties in a wad over a fan site for some other team and how they graded the preseason.

With the season opener only a week away it is time to get into regular season form. My in-depth analysis and quick-witted insight clearly show that I am ready.

Medvedenko
10-25-2004, 03:57 PM
Yeah..kobe's playing 40mintues a game...please look at the box stats before you make such a useless arguement. I never once said the Lakers will do better than the Spurs....did I. I am just stating the obvious....the spurs have sucked so far this preseason, even with Duncan playing great, granted limited minutues. Last night Lakers won with Bgrant dropping 22 and 11 while kobe barely cracked 10 points.

ducks
10-25-2004, 04:01 PM
I want a report thong about the blazers similiar's to timvp's report.

tlongII
10-25-2004, 04:01 PM
Yeah..kobe's playing 40mintues a game...please look at the box stats before you make such a useless arguement. I never once said the Lakers will do better than the Spurs....did I. I am just stating the obvious....the spurs have sucked so far this preseason, even with Duncan playing great, granted limited minutues. Last night Lakers won with Bgrant dropping 22 and 11 while kobe barely cracked 10 points.

Excellent post....except for the Lakers stuff. The Lakers will suck this year. Lamar Odom at power forward? Give me a friggin' break!

tlongII
10-25-2004, 04:03 PM
I want a report thong about the blazers similiar's to timvp's report.

I am not a sportswriter so you won't get one from me. If I can find one I will copy and paste it for you.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-25-2004, 04:08 PM
So the league is supposed to cower in fear from Brian Grant?

Only a troll would rag on the Spurs for not peaking in the preseason. No one wins an NBA title in the preseason, but they sure can lose it there if someone gets hurt.

Why do you think Dallas always ran out of gas in the playoffs? It's because they had Nash, Dirk, etc. playing 40 a night in the preseason and in October.

Medvedenko
10-25-2004, 04:10 PM
Did you read my post...I'm not ragging, just stating the obvious. Or are you too much of a homer to see it. Yes, I realize it's the preseason, the Lakers are working on Chemistry and Kobe needs to play with the new teamates. He is not playing 40 per night....Like I said earlier, the spurs will be fine. They just suck donkey ass right now.

Medvedenko
10-25-2004, 04:13 PM
tlong...Blazer fan....I'm surprised you can even comment on winning teams such as the Spurs or the Lakers.....Bill Walton is a commentator now....remembering won't bring him back. You make me laugh.

picnroll
10-25-2004, 04:17 PM
Shareef Abdur-Rahim - looking to get out of Portland
Derek Anderson - waitng to be placed on IR
Viktor Khryapa - on IR
Travis Outlaw - who?
Ruben Patterson - serving probation
Zach Randolph - between hearings
Theo Ratliff - awaiting IR
Damon Stoudamire - looking to score (not the basket)
Sebastian Telfair - wondering if since he got drafted by Portland does that mean he has criminal tendencies
Nick Van Exel - awaiting knee replacement surgery
Quintell Woods - serving time

Sportcamper
10-25-2004, 04:19 PM
There is a guy on this forum (I forget his name, Cosmic something or other) Anyway he pointed out a long time ago that Chris Mihm was a pretty tough competitor And that Rudy T would be running a fast break Lakers offense this year...

That’s what I have been seeing...Just a bunch of tall skinny guys grabbing rebounds & running down the court as fast as they can...It was weird seeing the Lakers wear down the Kings last week...

Chris Webber & Mike Bibby, (who I hear are pretty good) double teaming some Lakers teenager named Sasha? What’s up with that noise?

2pac
10-25-2004, 04:23 PM
I am not a sportswriter so you won't get one from me. If I can find one I will copy and paste it for you.

Cop out.

You list yourself as:

Dominant Center: You know that the team and the forum revolve around you. You rack up the points, posts, rebounds, threads and blocks. If anyone gets in you and your ego's way, you aren’t afraid to run them over. You throw it down around the basket, hang on the rim and let your opinions be heard loud and clear.

Rack up something meaningful. You write posts about sports every day on here and probably elsewhere.

If you call someone else out, why dont you sack up and produce?

tlongII
10-25-2004, 04:24 PM
There is a guy on this forum (I forget his name, Cosmic something or other) Anyway he pointed out a long time ago that Chris Mihm was a pretty tough competitor And that Rudy T would be running a fast break Lakers offense this year...

That’s what I have been seeing...Just a bunch of tall skinny guys grabbing rebounds & running down the court as fast as they can...It was weird seeing the Lakers wear down the Kings last week...

Chris Webber & Mike Bibby, (who I hear are pretty good) double teaming some Lakers teenager named Sasha? What’s up with that noise?

Camper, the preseason means nothing (unless you're the 1 and 3 Spurs). When the regular season starts the Lakers will be making turnovers like nobody's business. Can you spell L-O-T-T-E-R-Y?

tlongII
10-25-2004, 04:26 PM
Cop out.

You list yourself as:

Rack up something meaningful. You write posts about sports every day on here and probably elsewhere.

If you call someone else out, why dont you sack up and produce?

Duhhh. It's too much work!

Medvedenko
10-25-2004, 04:26 PM
The Lakers are playing well....beating the Suns by outscoring them the way they did and Kobe played only 24 minutes. I guess the preseason will be over this week and tomorrow and we'll see what the fuck is going on for the reg.

Medvedenko
10-25-2004, 04:27 PM
Oh Tlong..grow a pair.

2pac
10-25-2004, 04:28 PM
Lottery - thats where the Blazers got Telfair last year, right?

Sportcamper
10-25-2004, 04:56 PM
Tlong...I think the Lakers team looks kind of neat...and they have a swell group of guys, that all get along...and the run real fast and pass a lot...I don’t know but these guys kind of look like they are going to come in 1st place... :elephant

tlongII
10-25-2004, 04:57 PM
Lottery - thats where the Blazers got Telfair last year, right?

Yep. We had to go through a down season last year and we came up with a gem in the lottery. We are on our way BACK baby! The Blazers are a team that is getting better. The Spurs and Lakers are teams that are getting worse.

tlongII
10-25-2004, 05:00 PM
Tlong...I think the Lakers team looks kind of neat...and they have a swell group of guys, that all get along...and the run real fast and pass a lot...I don’t know but these guys kind of look like they are going to come in 1st place... :elephant

Actually Camper when I look at your competition in the Southwest division it is entirely possible that you will finish in 1st place. That is the worst division I have ever seen! The Lakers still suck though. If by some miracle they make the playoffs they will be swept in the 1st round!....except if they play the Spurs in which case neither team will advance.

2pac
10-25-2004, 05:04 PM
Yep. We had to go through a down season last year and we came up with a gem in the lottery. We are on our way BACK baby! The Blazers are a team that is getting better. The Spurs and Lakers are teams that are getting worse.

How are the Spurs getting worse? We have pretty much the same team as last year, with no aging stars. We dropped our inconsistant Hedo for a very consistant and better shooting Barry. We have a new rookie PG who has done nothing but impress everyone so far. Young talented players Parker, Manu and Brown all have another year of experience.

How are the JailBlazers getting better? By trading away their inside presence for an aging, injury-prone backup guard? By having some of their most accomplished players whining to be traded out? By having their former 1st round draft pick serve time?

2pac
10-25-2004, 05:08 PM
Actually Camper when I look at your competition in the Southwest division it is entirely possible that you will finish in 1st place. That is the worst division I have ever seen! The Lakers still suck though. If by some miracle they make the playoffs they will be swept in the 1st round!....except if they play the Spurs in which case neither team will advance.

The 5 teams in the Spurs division all made the playoffs last year. I guess you are just trying to prove how little you know about the NBA and basketball in general.

tlongII
10-25-2004, 05:11 PM
How are the Spurs getting worse? We have pretty much the same team as last year, with no aging stars. We dropped our inconsistant Hedo for a very consistant and better shooting Barry. We have a new rookie PG who has done nothing but impress everyone so far. Young talented players Parker, Manu and Brown all have another year of experience.

How are the JailBlazers getting better? By trading away their inside presence for an aging, injury-prone backup guard? By having some of their most accomplished players whining to be traded out? By having their former 1st round draft pick serve time?

Barry has looked very consistent so far in pre-season hasn't he? :lol

The Blazers have worked Reef into their starting lineup and signed D-Miles to an extension. Przybilla was an excellent signing as well to back up Theo at the center spot. Our achille's heal is outside shooting which will take another year to solve. We are still going to be in the 2nd round of the playoffs this year before getting knocked out. Next season we'll be in the WCF.

tlongII
10-25-2004, 05:13 PM
The 5 teams in the Spurs division all made the playoffs last year. I guess you are just trying to prove how little you know about the NBA and basketball in general.

If you read my post you would realize I am referring to the Lakers division, not the Spurs'. I meant to say Pacific, not Southwest. Phoenix and L.A. are southwest to me.

SequSpur
10-25-2004, 05:25 PM
I see this topic has gotten out of control.

I give the Spurs an F.

mattyc
10-26-2004, 01:44 AM
I know this because I can read the paper.
I forgot the paper was the be all and end all of Sports Journalism.

smeagol
10-26-2004, 09:29 AM
I give the Spurs an F.

Not suprisingly . . .

QueenAssata
10-26-2004, 02:29 PM
Upon further review, I agree that James Thomas looks lost and should be cut. If I were to cut some other players, I would look at Massenburg (who is always getting in foul trouble) and Horry (who seems to be slowing down). Boumtje-Boumtje has only played limited minutes, but he saved the game on we won against Seattle. Lucky for us that Seattle played so bad. Showboating and foul trouble caused a 20 point lead to dissipate. Marque Perry is similar to Avery Johnson...he is the "Littlest General." Brent Barry has to play a little bit longer. Beno is like a young Tony Parker....running without the ball.

Without Thomas, Horry, and Massenburg we have an excellent team. Let youth be served. It is time for Horry and Massenburg to retire. I love the Spurs, but I also like to see some excitement not cardiac arrest.

I give the the Spurs an overall grade of "C", with Thomas and Massenburg getting a "F" and Horry a "C-".