PDA

View Full Version : Muslim Faithful hanging tuff

BIG IRISH
08-24-2006, 01:19 AM
War-Torn Middle East Seeks Solace In Religion
August 23, 2006 |
JERUSALEM—As an uneasy truce between Israel and Hezbollah continues, millions of average men and women in the Holy Land are turning to the one simple comfort that has always seen them through the darkest days of their troubled history: the steadfast guidance of their religious faith.

Arabs and Israelis alike are embracing their faith as a way to make sense of the violence from which there seems to be no escape.
"I take solace in knowing that my faith is a sanctuary, an escape from the bloodshed and turmoil," said Haifa resident Yigal Taheri, who last week lost his wife and newborn daughter when a Fajr-3 long-range rocket launched by Lebanese militants struck the synagogue where his family was attending services. "YHWH, Elohim, whatever you wish to not call Him—His love comforts all those who are willing to open their hearts to Him. Praise be to G–d."

"Religion is the one thing that has never let us down," Taheri added over the low rumble of AK-47 fire emanating from the nearby home of a radical Israeli rabbi.

Taheri is not alone. In a time of seemingly unending conflict between Israelis and Arabs, a growing number of Middle Easterners are fervently embracing the unshakeable wisdom of Judaism and Islam.

Palestinian Omar Abdel-Malik, a resident of the Gaza Strip town of Khan Younis, credits his Islamic beliefs for preserving his sanity.

"The Israelis have fired missile upon missile on my neighborhood, but it has only made my trust in Allah that much stronger," Abdel-Malik said. "I cringe to think where the people of the Middle East would be right now if it weren't for our steadfast belief in one true, merciful, and loving Supreme Being."

Palestinian widow and mother of three Dareen Idriss agreed, citing the healing power of prayer as a way to cope with the relentless slaughter she and her family witness every day. "When the children cannot stop crying because of the bombs, we all gather our families in the rubble of the mosque to pray for justice," Idriss said. "During this calm meditation, we also pray for the annihilation of the Hebrew race."

An unidentified Palestinian man seeks a renewed resolve through prayer.
West Bank settler Ari Chayat, whose neighborhood has also been ravaged by violence, echoed this profound reliance on faith. "The world is so brutal and unfair," Chayat said. "Many days, my uncompromising belief in a vengeful creator is all that gets me out of bed in the morning."

"If it wasn't for my faith that the God of Abraham has given these lands to Jews and Jews alone by divine decree, I probably wouldn't even be here today," Chayat added.

Lebanese militant Jawad Hamid, who recently lost his best friend to an Israeli helicopter attack while the two men were on their way to pick up a Katyusha rocket, said his faith in Allah was the only way he could cope with the tragedy.

"Every time I want to give up hope, I just open the Quran to my favorite passage, Surah 2:194: 'Whoever acts aggressively against you, inflict injury on him,'" Hamid said. "Whenever I read those words, I am immediately filled with inspiration and a renewed sense of purpose."

Even political leaders have tapped into the public's reliance on religion and used it as a way to encourage them to never give up.

"In this time of strife, the only way to endure the unending suffering is through an unwavering, uncompromising faith in one's religious beliefs," Israeli hard-liner Benjamin Netanyahu said Monday. Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah went so far as to quote from the Quran in a speech delivered followers the same afternoon.

"It's always frightening to be reminded of your own mortality, as we all were this past Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday," Hezbollah commander Mahdi al-Zaidi said. "But rather than react irrationally, I looked deep within my faith, consulted the Quran, and by the mercy of Allah, I gained the resolve to oversee a massive airstrike against the enemy."

"We will get through this, so long as we have God on our side," he added.
credit The Onion, gotcha :lol

Phenomanul
08-24-2006, 08:41 AM
A far cry from JESUS's message of temperance, "If someone should smite your cheek, turn the other one."

Phenomanul
08-24-2006, 10:30 AM
a far cry from Not a waste of my time

Translation: I choose to be blissful

Phenomanul
08-24-2006, 10:44 AM
geesh i bet you weren't so careless with the articles you boned up on for your qualifying exam on intelligent design

oooooohhh you got me....

NOT.

Your comeback was irrelevant. I'd rather read something and assess it first (right, wrong or neutral) rather than remain ignorant and not have read it at all.

Besides, you really shouldn't be so paranoic at the instance someone says the name of JESUS.

Phenomanul
08-24-2006, 11:15 AM
anyway, my point is that big irish posted a joke article and you fell for it even though he said it was a joke..that's all the time today i'm going to take to teach you to read

Eerily similar passages exist in the Quran.... which happened to be the only part of the article I addressed. I thought is was weird when the reference was written as Surah instead of Sura....

But you're right, I didn't see the bottom part. What's with BIG IRISH posting 10+ threads on Islam anyway? Exaggeration-- perhaps; the question is still valid.

101A
08-24-2006, 11:16 AM
elPimp:

May be a joke article, but the quote from the Quran, along with the equal and opposite quote from Jesus Christ are not:

"Whoever then acts aggressively against you, inflict injury on him according to the injury he has inflicted on you" (2:194)

Your drive by posting style does not always serve you well.

BIG IRISH
08-24-2006, 11:35 PM
What's with BIG IRISH posting 10+ threads on Islam anyway? Exaggeration-- perhaps; the question is still valid.

Unfortunately, I work with about 840 liberals, 2 Republicans, 1 Manny-type, :angel and 1 Space Cadet. I had a rather bad day as I was tired of
Why can't "these people" in the ME get along"

I can't believe that 90% of these people have 4 year + college degrees.

BTW Business College = Producing the next generation of Designer-Tie wearing, ass kissing, incompetant managers that could not have made it through School without cliff notes. :lol

Phenomanul
08-24-2006, 11:37 PM
Unfortunately, I work with about 840 liberals, 2 Republicans, 1 Manny-type, :angel and 1 Space Cadet. I had a rather bad day as I was tired of
Why can't "these people" in the ME get along" rolleyes

I can't believe that 90% of these people have 4 year + college degrees.

BTW Business College = Producing the next generation of Designer-Tie wearing, ass kissing, incompetant managers that could not have made it through School without clift notes. :lol

Yeah, I know what you mean.... They're the ones making the decisions on things they don't even understand... and yet they get paid more.

E20
08-24-2006, 11:41 PM
Surah 2:194: 'Whoever acts aggressively against you, inflict injury on him,'"
Ehhhh More like:
[2:194] During the Sacred Months, aggression may be met by an equivalent response. If they attack you, you may retaliate by inflicting an equitable retribution. You shall observe GOD and know that GOD is with the righteous.

Phenomanul
08-24-2006, 11:45 PM
Ehhhh More like:
[2:194] During the Sacred Months, aggression may be met by an equivalent response. If they attack you, you may retaliate by inflicting an equitable retribution. You shall observe GOD and know that GOD is with the righteous.

Still an opposite message than that given by JESUS.

Nbadan
08-25-2006, 12:34 AM
Still an opposite message than that given by JESUS.

If you mean 'turn the other cheek', Jesus was talking about social and civil matters not matters of war.

Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

The context of this passage is found within specific instructions given to Moses by God concerning the manner in which the civil government should handle crimes committed against individuals. “An eye for an eye” was the judgment to be carried out by civil authorities. It was never to be used as license for individuals to retaliate for personal insults or injuries against themselves. This is the attitude Jesus was addressing in Matthew. He was dealing with the prevailing opinion that you should retaliate and seek vengeance for yourself. Personal vengeance was forbidden even under the Law.

Deuteronomy 32:35:

To me belongeth vengeance, and recompense; their foot shall slide in due time: for the day of their calamity is at hand, and the things that shall come upon them make haste.

It is interesting to note that Matthew 5:39 specifically states that if someone slaps you on the right cheek, you are to turn the other cheek also. As today, most people then were right-handed. If a right-handed person were to slap you, you would be hit on the left cheek. This verse is speaking of getting hit with a back hand across the right cheek rather than getting hit across the left cheek with full force.

Although getting backhanded was not as painful because it came with much less force than getting hit with the dominate hand, getting slapped backhanded was one of the biggest insults in Hebrew culture. Therefore, Jesus was really saying when someone insults us, we should not attempt to retaliate or get even, rather we should turn the other cheek.

Real Answers (http://www.realanswers.tv/answers/answers33.html)

BIG IRISH
08-25-2006, 04:15 AM
Yes Religion, but "WHO's GOD"
and was Jesus the son of god or only a prophet?

That should stir things up :rolleyes

Dan; Are you using the King James Version of the Bible?
What about the part in the Old Testment that goes
something like "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth?

The Muslim is a little more devout. They are blowing themselves up.

Now I've seen Monks setting themselves on Fire and some of the Jones followers drinking the kool-aid, and I've read about Masada, and I know the Catholics believe it is a sin to take your life, but why won't Jerry F, Pat R
and there followers blow themseleves up. :lol

Phenomanul
08-25-2006, 08:44 AM
If you mean 'turn the other cheek', Jesus was talking about social and civil matters not matters of war.

The context of this passage is found within specific instructions given to Moses by God concerning the manner in which the civil government should handle crimes committed against individuals. “An eye for an eye” was the judgment to be carried out by civil authorities. It was never to be used as license for individuals to retaliate for personal insults or injuries against themselves. This is the attitude Jesus was addressing in Matthew. He was dealing with the prevailing opinion that you should retaliate and seek vengeance for yourself. Personal vengeance was forbidden even under the Law.

Deuteronomy 32:35:

It is interesting to note that Matthew 5:39 specifically states that if someone slaps you on the right cheek, you are to turn the other cheek also. As today, most people then were right-handed. If a right-handed person were to slap you, you would be hit on the left cheek. This verse is speaking of getting hit with a back hand across the right cheek rather than getting hit across the left cheek with full force.

Although getting backhanded was not as painful because it came with much less force than getting hit with the dominate hand, getting slapped backhanded was one of the biggest insults in Hebrew culture. Therefore, Jesus was really saying when someone insults us, we should not attempt to retaliate or get even, rather we should turn the other cheek.

Real Answers (http://www.realanswers.tv/answers/answers33.html)

Nbadan attempting to lecture me on matters of Biblical interpretation. :lol :lol :lol

Is not the message of JESUS opposite to what was written in the Quran? Simple question really... in context or without it. The message of temperance is clear. I never mentioned 'wartime' or 'peacetime' qualifiers. I just exposed the attitute Christ wanted us to have.

But thanks for the 'extra' context anyway.... it ends up saying the same thing I had already noted...

cheguevara
08-25-2006, 08:48 AM
elPimp:

May be a joke article, but the quote from the Quran, along with the equal and opposite quote from Jesus Christ are not:

"Whoever then acts aggressively against you, inflict injury on him according to the injury he has inflicted on you" (2:194)

Your drive by posting style does not always serve you well.

So what?

The christian bible also says that gays and lesbians should be killed.

Lev 20:13 "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death."

It fucking makes me laugh when someone brings that argument against Muslims. ignorants

101A
08-25-2006, 10:07 AM
So what?

Lev 20:13 "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death."

It fucking makes me laugh when someone brings that argument against Muslims. ignorants

Jesus taught much which runs contrary to what can be found in the old testament. Otherwise Christian = Jew.

cheguevara
08-25-2006, 10:10 AM
Jesus taught much which runs contrary to what can be found in the old testament. Otherwise Christian = Jew.

Show me where Jesus said, it's not ok to kill gays.

Even then, you are saying Jews have the green light to kill all gays?????? That's US allies you are talking about.

Phenomanul
08-25-2006, 10:56 AM
So what?

Those were laws written for the Pact that GOD established with the Hebrew Nation.

We now live under a new Pact that was made possible by Christ's redeeeming sacrifice.

Is homosexuality still a sin? Most certainly, but the person is not 'put to death' immediately; he/she has a chance of being redeemed by Christ. If not, that person ultimately has dictated his/her own fate/destiny. The second question is: Do we judge them? No. Though hard not to do, that is not a right given to us by GOD -- we are not judges. We are instructed to love them and steer them to a life of redemption through Christ's atoning sacrifice. Anyway, just thought you'd want to know the context of that verse.

Spurminator
08-25-2006, 11:08 AM
Show me where Jesus said, it's not ok to kill gays.

Not about gays, but still applies....

And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto Him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, They say unto Him, "Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses in the Law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest Thou?"

This they said, tempting Him, that they might have to accuse Him.

But Jesus stooped down, and with His finger wrote on the ground, as though He heard them not. So when they continued asking Him, He lifted up Himself, and said unto them, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." And again He stooped down, and wrote on the ground.

And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

When Jesus had lifted up Himself, and saw none but the woman, He said unto her, "Woman, where are those thine accusers? Hath no man condemned thee?"

She said, "No man, Lord."

And Jesus said unto her, "Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more." (John 8:2-11 KJV)

cheguevara
08-25-2006, 11:09 AM
Those were laws written for the Pact that GOD established with the Hebrew Nation.

We now live under a new Pact that was made possible by Christ's redeeeming sacrifice.

Is homosexuality still a sin? Most certainly, but the person is not 'put to death' immediately; he/she has a chance of being redeemed by Christ. If not, that person ultimately has dictated his/her own fate/destiny. The second question is: Do we judge them? No. Though hard not to do, that is not a right given to us by GOD -- we are not judges. We are instructed to love them and steer them to a life of redemption through Christ's atoning sacrifice. Anyway, just thought you'd want to know the context of that verse.

I sortof knew that.

My point was that you cannot quote from a holy book and take it literally if you don't know the context. We don't know the context of the qran quote.

Phenomanul
08-25-2006, 11:31 AM
hegamboa backpedals quicker than tony parker caught on defense in a fast break

If I'm in error, I've never hidden in a corner about it... I'll admit it.

IF you call that backpedaling... eeeeh whatever suits your fancy.

Phenomanul
08-25-2006, 11:35 AM
I sortof knew that.

My point was that you cannot quote from a holy book and take it literally if you don't know the context. We don't know the context of the qran quote.

The context of Sura is quite clear. Have you even read the Quran?? Its message is still opposite from JESUS's. Don't side-step the issue in an attempt to dismiss the significance and obvious difference between the two.

cheguevara
08-25-2006, 01:47 PM
The context of Sura is quite clear. Have you even read the Quran?? Its message is still opposite from JESUS's. Don't side-step the issue in an attempt to dismiss the significance and obvious difference between the two.

you are still missing my point. Again, my point is that you cannot take the quotes from the qran or bible directly and literally. stay on topic

I am not comparing qran w/bible.

Phenomanul
08-25-2006, 02:23 PM
you are still missing my point. Again, my point is that you cannot take the quotes from the qran or bible directly and literally. stay on topic

I am not comparing qran w/bible.

But I was.

I'm trying to show an obvious difference for those that are always trying to lump the two together.

E20
08-27-2006, 12:40 AM
Eeeeeeeeh, I'll I'm trying to say is that the verse 2:195 is in other words Self-Defense.

Phenomanul
08-27-2006, 12:55 AM
Eeeeeeeeh, I'll I'm trying to say is that the verse 2:195 is in other words Self-Defense.

And what was Jesus' self defense??? He stood there and did nothing, not even open his mouth.

The message in the Quran sounds alot more like revenge to me. Self defense would have been more like, "and should someone threaten your life, and you have no choice but to retaliate do so to survive... but if you have other non-confrontational options use those instead." That would be self-defense -- not a message that says, "inflict injury."

E20
08-27-2006, 12:58 AM
And what was Jesus' self defense??? He stood there and did nothing, not even open his mouth.

The message in the Quran sounds alot more like revenge to me. Self defense would have been more like, "and should someone threaten your life, and you have no choice but to retaliate do so to survive... but if you have other non-confrontational options use those instead." That would be self-defense -- not a message that says, "inflict injury."
By today's standards in society that is self-defense. But you wouldn't know the context behind verse 2:195, would you?

Phenomanul
08-27-2006, 01:06 AM
By today's standards in society that is self-defense. But you wouldn't know the context behind verse 2:195, would you?

My dad borrowed my Quran... verse 194 or 195?

Anyways I'd have to look it up. I read that whole passage recently. But to give you a better answer I would have to read it again. Granted, I remember thinking the same thing when I read it the first time around {"wow, this is a completely opposite message from what JESUS taught"}...

Have you read the Hadiths of the life of Mohammed?

That guy was gory... one time he had a man dismembered simply because Mohammed 'thought' that he had been mocked. Again, opposite of JESUS who after being mocked, spit at, and physically punished by several people all He did was ask for forgiveness on their behalf...

E20
08-27-2006, 01:15 AM
My dad borrowed my Quran... verse 194 or 195?

Anyways I'd have to look it up. I read that whole passage recently. But to give you a better answer I would have to read it again. Granted, I remember thinking the same thing when I read it the first time around {"wow, this is a completely opposite message from what JESUS taught"}...

Have you read the Hadiths of the life of Mohammed?

That guy was gory... one time he had a man dismembered simply because Mohammed 'thought' that he had been mocked. Again, opposite of JESUS who after being mocked, spit at, and physically punished by several people all He did was ask for forgiveness on their behalf...
I didn't read that volume, you gotta let me borrow it or give me a link, I'd like to read it.

I'd like to give you the context, but I'm not, it's 11PM here and I have work tommorow at 8.