PDA

View Full Version : A Bottle of Rock & Hammer To-Go, Please!

Solid D
08-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Not exactly "new" news but there are few new details here:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/columnists/etijerina/stories/MYSA082406.03B.Around_Town.2cfb5eb.html

Edmund Tijerina: Popovich partners with winery to produce his own private label

Web Posted: 08/23/2006 11:30 PM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

San Antonio's newest winemaker: noted oenophile Gregg Popovich.
The Sept. 30 issue of Wine Spectator includes an item that Popovich has signed on as a partner in A to Z Wineworks, a winemaker in Oregon that specializes in Pinot Noir priced under $20.

As part of the deal, the winery will bottle a limited-release 2004 Pinot Noir called Rock & Hammer — exclusive to the Spurs coach.

The magazine said he plans to share his private label wine with basketball friends and donate some bottles to charity.

Rock and what?

The name for Pop's wine comes from a quote by Jacob Riis, the writer, photographer and social reformer in early 20th-century New York City.
From Riis: "When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it but all that had gone before."

Sounds like a good coaching philosophy, too.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-24-2006, 02:57 PM
It's a great coaching philosophy, but as a wine label it makes me think:

1. Arm and Hammer, who I trust with keeping my refrigerator smelling spring time fresh, but not to stock my wine cellar.

or

2. Sickle and Hammer-which kind of makes sense since Pop majored in Soviet Studies, IIRC, however I don't see a Communist sympathizing wine company selling well.

RC's Boss
08-24-2006, 11:05 PM
May as well name it Crack n Baking soda

TDMVPDPOY
08-24-2006, 11:13 PM
i thought it was rock/paper/scissors game

drinkn that would it make you go serb like pop?

ace3g
03-09-2013, 07:16 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BEwkxc7CQAAnbSx.jpg:large

Strategic
03-09-2013, 08:36 PM
^^^^^^^Someone a little bored tonight?

ace3g
03-09-2013, 08:52 PM
That was a tweet from the Tux N Tennies event tonight: Beadle and Elliott are hosting