PDA

View Full Version : SI writer disses Bowen

Budkin
08-24-2006, 09:52 PM
Reading this article on SI.com I found this nice little dig at Bruce Bowen. This guy sounds pretty bitter. Wonder which of his favorite players has been Bowned?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/kelly_dwyer/08/24/usa.senegal/index.html

• It was a cute talking point in the days leading up to Team USA's exhibition play -- how the squad was going to miss the defense and outside shooting of Spurs forward Bruce Bowen. This was all laughable to NBAniks, of course, because Bowen is past his prime at age 35, and Shane Battier was a better defender than Bruce last season (to say nothing of his superior skills in other areas).

But Battier has struggled with his pick-and-roll defense, and 11 rebounds in 78 minutes of play won't cut it. Bowen certainly would not have been an improvement on Battier, especially in the rebounding department, but this doesn't mean Shane can't improve. Battier's help-side defense, predictably, has been superb.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-24-2006, 09:56 PM
What a dumbass.

ChumpDumper
08-24-2006, 10:28 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/.element/img/2.0/story/writers/new/topper_dwyer_in_nba.jpg

:lmao

BruceBowenFan
08-24-2006, 10:33 PM
man fuck sports illustrated thats y is was the only one on that team with championship rings

NorCal510
08-24-2006, 10:36 PM
hes speaking the truth, so what? you guys fall off a cliff everytime a writer says something negative about the spurs/players.

Obstructed_View
08-24-2006, 10:52 PM
hes speaking the truth, so what? you guys fall off a cliff everytime a writer says something negative about the spurs/players.
Battier was a better defender than Bowen last year? Okay.

slayermin
08-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Eddie Jones would guard Kobe when the Grizz played the Lakers, not Battier.

RON ARTEST
08-24-2006, 11:03 PM
battier is a better player than bowen, and so is everyone else that is on the team. whats the problem im not seeing here?

Kori Ellis
08-24-2006, 11:08 PM
Now we know the one guy who voted for Battier.

2005-06 NBA DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR RESULTS

Player, Team 1st 2nd 3rd Pts
Ben Wallace, Detroit 58 39 13 420
Bruce Bowen, San Antonio 38 33 19 308
Andrei Kirilenko, Utah 12 11 28 121
Ron Artest, Sacramento 6 7 14 65
Marcus Camby, Denver 3 9 13 55
Tim Duncan, San Antonio 3 7 6 42
Shawn Marion, Phoenix - 7 12 33
Alonzo Mourning, Miami 4 2 3 29
Gerald Wallace, Charlotte - 7 6 27
Shane Battier, Memphis - 1 - 3
Elton Brand, L.A. Clippers - 1 - 3
Andre Iguodala, Philadelphia - - 2 2
James Posey, Miami - - 1 1
Raja Bell, Phoenix - - 1 1
P.J. Brown, NOK - - 1 1
Rasheed Wallace, Detroit - - 1 1
Andres Nocioni, Chicago - - 1 1
Eddie Jones, Memphis - - 1 1
Kevin Garnett, Minnesota - - 1 1
Tayshaun Prince, Detroit - - 1 1

J.T.
08-24-2006, 11:09 PM
Manu Ginobili is going to light up Team USA like a christmas tree and Coach K is going to wonder wtf he was thinking when he cut Bowen.

Kori Ellis
08-24-2006, 11:09 PM
battier is a better player than bowen, and so is everyone else that is on the team. whats the problem im not seeing here?

Battier was a better defender than Bruce last season

stretch
08-24-2006, 11:11 PM
man fuck sports illustrated thats y is was the only one on that team with championship rings
actually, i recall someone on that team that won a ring and the finals MVP, and basically singlehandedly led his team in the finals this past year named Dwayne Wade? nice one, dipshit.

Kori Ellis
08-24-2006, 11:13 PM
He said rings. Wade only has one :)

Kori Ellis
08-24-2006, 11:15 PM
2005-06 NBA ALL-DEFENSIVE FIRST TEAM

Position Player, Team 1st 2nd Total Points
Guard Bruce Bowen, San Antonio 26 3 55
Center Ben Wallace, Detroit 26 2 54
Forward Andrei Kirilenko, Utah 19 6 44
Forward Ron Artest, Sacramento 11 8 30
Guard Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers 12 4 28
Guard Jason Kidd, New Jersey 9 10 28

2005-06 NBA ALL-DEFENSIVE SECOND TEAM
Forward Tim Duncan, San Antonio 7 9 23
Guard Chauncey Billups, Detroit 7 9 23
Forward Kevin Garnett, Minnesota 4 10 18
Center Marcus Camby, Denver 2 11 15
Forward Tayshaun Prince, Detroit 3 7 13

Other players receiving votes, with point totals (First Team votes in parentheses): Rasheed Wallace, Detroit, 12 (3); Gerald Wallace, Charlotte, 11 (3); Shawn Marion, Phoenix, 11 (1); Raja Bell, Phoenix, 9 (2); Dwyane Wade, Miami, 8 (3); Kirk Hinrich, Chicago, 7 (3); Alonzo Mourning, Miami, 7 (1); Shane Battier, Memphis, 6 (1); Gilbert Arenas, Washington, 4 (1); Andre Iguodala, Philadelphia, 4; P.J. Brown, New Orleans/Okla. City, 3; Manu Ginobili, San Antonio, 3; Dwight Howard, Orlando, 3; Josh Howard, Dallas, 3 (1); Brevin Knight, Charlotte, 3; Shaquille O’Neal, Miami, 3 (1); Elton Brand, L.A. Clippers, 2 (1); LeBron James, Cleveland, 2 (1); Tony Parker, San Antonio, 2 (1); Quinton Ross, L.A. Clippers, 2 (1); Allen Iverson, Philadelphia, 2; Eddie Jones, Memphis, 2; Jason Collins, New Jersey, 1; Boris Diaw, Phoenix, 1; Pau Gasol, Memphis, 1; Trenton Hassel, Minnesota, 1; Mike James, Toronto, 1; Richard Jefferson, New Jersey, 1; Ruben Patterson, Denver, 1; Chris Paul, New Orleans/Okla. City, 1; Jason Terry, Dallas, 1; Yao Ming, Houston, 1.

RON ARTEST
08-24-2006, 11:17 PM
when artest plays a full season all of this wont even matter because hes a better defender then battier and bowen.

NorCal510
08-24-2006, 11:18 PM
u dont get it. battier helps more than bowen would.

RON ARTEST
08-24-2006, 11:19 PM
alot more

RON ARTEST
08-24-2006, 11:20 PM
Manu Ginobili is going to light up Team USA like a christmas tree and Coach K is going to wonder wtf he was thinking when he cut Bowen.
i think coach k will get over it when usa wins the game. :rollin

stretch
08-25-2006, 12:32 AM
He said rings. Wade only has one :)
so does that make Bruce Bowen a better player than Wade because he has three rings? does that even put him remotely in a class close to Wade? not at all. he was a role player on 3 championship teams that happened to have one of the greatest centers of all time on two of them, and arguably the greatest PF of all time on all of them. Wade is the sole leader of the Heat, and singlehandedly tore the Mavericks apart.

now i know you were joking with me, but i think some people around here are taking this a little too hard, especially when they go to the extent that they root against their home country, just because a player on the Spurs is not on it. thats just plain dumb. while i dont agree that Battier is NEARLY as good of a man defender as Bowen, i do agree that he is a better and more well rounded basketball player, and was a better fit for this team than Bowen was, even though he hasnt been great so far. I dont think Bowen exactly lit it up much either. If he played well, he would have had more opportunity in the preliminary games. but airballing shots and being virtually non-existent wont get you many minutes on a team, period. there is no question he was among the bottom three players on the team, with Antawn Jamison, and Shane Battier (i would replace Jamison with Miller, but they needed another Center, and he IMO is a GREAT fit for this team). if i had to build a team, id take Jamison in a heartbeat, and depending on my needs, it would be a toss up between Battier and Bowen. if i needed some heavy defense, i would take Bowen. but if i needed a solid all-around contributer on both ends of the court, id take Battier.

Kori Ellis
08-25-2006, 01:53 AM

No, you don't get it.

People aren't arguing that.

They are arguing the writer's statement that Battier was a better defender than Bowen last year.

Kori Ellis
08-25-2006, 01:55 AM
so does that make Bruce Bowen a better player than Wade because he has three rings? does that even put him remotely in a class close to Wade? not at all. he was a role player on 3 championship teams that happened to have one of the greatest centers of all time on two of them, and arguably the greatest PF of all time on all of them. Wade is the sole leader of the Heat, and singlehandedly tore the Mavericks apart.

now i know you were joking with me

Yes I was joking with you. To me, Wade is the best player in the game right now.

And Bowen just has two rings:) He wasn't here yet in 1999.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
08-25-2006, 02:31 AM
when artest plays a full season all of this wont even matter because hes a better defender then battier and bowen.

:lol :lol :lol Artest playing a whole season :lol :lol :lol

What are you going to tell me next?? Peja is clutch?

cheguevara
08-25-2006, 08:31 AM
Yes I was joking with you. To me, Wade is the best player in the game right now.

by "game" you mean NBA? interesting. You mean better than TD/Kobe/Melo/Lebron?

he is such one-dimensional I don't think he's close to being better than any of them.

samikeyp
08-25-2006, 09:42 AM
While I don't think that Battier is a better defender than Bowen, I understand the move. (even though I didn't like it) USA basketball's plan is to build a team for now and the future instead of just throwing 12 guys in 2 months before a tournament. If this team was just solely for the WC then I would have kept Bowen. He is an excellent perimeter defender, has a good 3 point shot and is familiar with the FIBA style game. This team is for this year and 2008. Bruce is going to be 37 in 2008. I think his age was the deciding factor. I disagree with this writer that Battier is a better defender. IMO, he has been a tad bit overrated throughout his career but that is just me. I think Bowen is better and the last few years, the people who vote for post season awards would agree with me as does some guy named Kobe.

Drive Like Jehu
08-25-2006, 10:42 AM
Battier is a good player. I just don't think he has the defensive skill and flexibility to guard players like Billups, Bryant and Nowitski in the playoffs.

Tobias
08-25-2006, 10:58 AM
http://www.remembertheaba.com/OnlyintheABAMaterial/KenonGaleAfros.JPG
. ^
. |
Damn, Bowen is old :wow , no wonder his ass got cut. :lol

samikeyp
08-25-2006, 11:02 AM
:lmao

stretch
08-25-2006, 12:55 PM
:lol battier is like bowen except a worse defender and worse shooter who shoots more often
since when has bowen exactly been a good shooter??? as far as im concerned, for such a great defensive player, his offense is as bad as his defense is good. he cant shoot for shit, other than an occasional wide open corner three.

The Great Fantastic
08-25-2006, 03:54 PM
You're right. Bowen never led the league in 3-point field goal percentage. Especially not in 2003.

cheguevara
08-25-2006, 04:04 PM
You're right. Bowen never led the league in 3-point field goal percentage. Especially not in 2003.

exactly. the ignorant haters don't even know Bowen has been at the top of the league in 3pt % for years. To the point that it's insulting that he's never been invited to the Allstart 3pt shooting contest

stretch
08-25-2006, 04:47 PM
exactly. the ignorant haters don't even know Bowen has been at the top of the league in 3pt % for years. To the point that it's insulting that he's never been invited to the Allstart 3pt shooting contest
Josh Howard shot a higher 3pt% than Dirk and Terry. Dirk and Terry are considered 2 of the best shooters in the league. does that mean Howard is a great 3pt shooter? does that mean hes a great shooter period? Desagana Diop shot 50% this year. i guess that means hes a pretty damn good 3pt shooter as well. Shaq shot 50% one year as well. holy hell thats good. even Reggie Miller hasnt even shot 50% before. man, i never would have guessed that Shaq is a great 3pt shooter just because he shot 50% one year.

ChumpDumper
08-25-2006, 04:51 PM
Battier attempted 165 three ponters last season.

Bowen attempted 245.

Diop attempted 2.

stretch
08-25-2006, 05:48 PM
Battier attempted 165 three ponters last season.

Bowen attempted 245.

Diop attempted 2.
yes, and i wonder how many of Bowens shots were uncontested, wide open 3s that he made? i wonder how many 3s he made with a hand in his face? cuz i RARELY see him hit a 3 with a hand in his face. hitting open shots does not make you a great shooter, no matter what your percentages are. your SUPPOSED to hit the open shots. Bowen is a solid wide open corner 3 point shooter. but he cant hit anything other than the wide open corner 3. he cant shoot freethrows for shit. he cant hit straight on 3s. he cant hit midrange jumpers. im not sure how hes considered by some of these homers to be such a great shooter if he can only hit ONE kind of jumper.

ChumpDumper
08-25-2006, 05:51 PM
i wonder how many of Bowens shots were uncontested, wide open 3s that he made?How many of Battier's were?
i wonder how many 3s he made with a hand in his face? cuz i RARELY see him hit a 3 with a hand in his face.How often is a hand in Battier's face?
hitting open shots does not make you a great shooter, no matter what your percentages are. your SUPPOSED to hit the open shots.Battier is never open?
he cant hit midrange jumpers. im not sure how hes considered by some of these homers to be such a great shooter if he can only hit ONE kind of jumper.How many kinds does he NEED to hit to be a better three point shooter than Battier?

MarkCuban
08-25-2006, 05:51 PM

here's my top 5 defenders list in the league

1. Dirk
2. Keith Van Horn
3. Eric Dampier
4. Steve Nash
5. Jason Terry

:elephant

mavs>spurs2
08-25-2006, 06:04 PM
here's my top 5 defenders list in the league

1. Dirk
2. Keith Van Horn
3. Eric Dampier
4. Steve Nash
5. Jason Terry
:elephant

If you're trying to be sarcastic, Jason Terry is NOT one of the worst defenders in the league. He's not great but actually above average. Look at his steals per game over his career.

mavs>spurs2
08-25-2006, 06:05 PM
Now Dirk and Kieth Van Horn, that i'll believe.

~~Ice Man 2000~~
08-25-2006, 08:24 PM
2005-06 NBA ALL-DEFENSIVE FIRST TEAM

Guard Bruce Bowen, San Antonio 26 3 55
Center Ben Wallace, Detroit 26 2 54
Forward Andrei Kirilenko, Utah 19 6 44
Forward Ron Artest, Sacramento 11 8 30
Guard Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers 12 4 28
Guard Jason Kidd, New Jersey 9 10 28

2005-06 NBA ALL-DEFENSIVE SECOND TEAM
Forward Tim Duncan, San Antonio 7 9 23
Guard Chauncey Billups, Detroit 7 9 23
Forward Kevin Garnett, Minnesota 4 10 18
Center Marcus Camby, Denver 2 11 15
Forward Tayshaun Prince, Detroit 3 7 13

Other players receiving votes, with point totals (First Team votes in parentheses): Rasheed Wallace, Detroit, 12 (3); Gerald Wallace, Charlotte, 11 (3); Shawn Marion, Phoenix, 11 (1); Raja Bell, Phoenix, 9 (2); Dwyane Wade, Miami, 8 (3); Kirk Hinrich, Chicago, 7 (3); Alonzo Mourning, Miami, 7 (1); Shane Battier, Memphis, 6 (1); Gilbert Arenas, Washington, 4 (1); Andre Iguodala, Philadelphia, 4; P.J. Brown, New Orleans/Okla. City, 3; Manu Ginobili, San Antonio, 3; Dwight Howard, Orlando, 3; Josh Howard, Dallas, 3 (1); Brevin Knight, Charlotte, 3; Shaquille O’Neal, Miami, 3 (1); Elton Brand, L.A. Clippers, 2 (1); LeBron James, Cleveland, 2 (1); Tony Parker, San Antonio, 2 (1); Quinton Ross, L.A. Clippers, 2 (1); Allen Iverson, Philadelphia, 2; Eddie Jones, Memphis, 2; Jason Collins, New Jersey, 1; Boris Diaw, Phoenix, 1; Pau Gasol, Memphis, 1; Trenton Hassel, Minnesota, 1; Mike James, Toronto, 1; Richard Jefferson, New Jersey, 1; Ruben Patterson, Denver, 1; Chris Paul, New Orleans/Okla. City, 1; Jason Terry, Dallas, 1; Yao Ming, Houston, 1.Rofl doesbt that settle it?

stretch
08-25-2006, 11:26 PM
How many of Battier's were?How often is a hand in Battier's face?Battier is never open?How many kinds does he NEED to hit to be a better three point shooter than Battier?
im not sure where i said anything about Battier being a better shooter. you should really go back and read my posts a little more thoroughly. i simply said that Bruce Bowen is not a great shooter, or a 3pt contest level shooter like some people here profess.

oh, and I also think Battier is a better shooter than Bowen.