PDA

View Full Version : This place = South Park?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-25-2006, 01:32 AM
I was just thinking about pussyface's thread and how sharply divided the repugs (aka fascist right) and democrits (aka hippy left) are in here, and then comparing that with the media and the real world.

Most South Park episodes lead to the town sharply divided along lines much like this forum.

The West Wing usually does an excellent job of exposing the rational extremes of both sides of a debate, then usually concludes by agreeing with the humanist approach.

Conversely, in comparison to this place, our real life political systems usually lead to a lot of moderate positions, bad compromises that get us nowhere (although that has been thrown out the window by GW and our PM Howard recently, as both have gained control of both houses of parliament and gone hard toward the right, especially courting big business and the religious baby boomer demographic).

Comments?

Nbadan
08-25-2006, 01:43 AM
Conversely, in comparison to this place, our real life political systems usually lead to a lot of moderate positions, bad compromises that get us nowhere (although that has been thrown out the window by GW and our PM Howard recently, as both have gained control of both houses of parliament and gone hard toward the right, especially courting big business and the religious baby boomer demographic).

This is why it is important for the DEMs to get control of at least one of the houses in 06. Complete control by either party has proven to be a complete failure.

BIG IRISH
08-25-2006, 01:45 AM
I was just thinking about pussyface's thread and how sharply divided the repugs (aka fascist right) and democrits (aka hippy left) are in here, and then comparing that with the media and the real world.

Most South Park episodes lead to the town sharply divided along lines much like this forum.

The West Wing usually does an excellent job of exposing the rational extremes of both sides of a debate, then usually concludes by agreeing with the humanist approach.

Comments?

I'm wondering- Can Americans still iimmigrate there?
I know that we are not allowed in NZ.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-25-2006, 02:12 AM
No idea, although I'm reckon you can. I know plenty of Americans who have moved here and gone on to become Australian citizens. You can't emigrate to NZ? :lol

elp - I'm an Aussie. Things are a bit different here, not as sharply divided into two camps as the US. More like you have the right, then about 10 disorganised, much smaller camps to the left who could rule if only they could get together.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-25-2006, 02:13 AM
This is why it is important for the DEMs to get control of at least one of the houses in 06. Complete control by either party has proven to be a complete failure.

Same in Oz - at the very least, we need our Senate balance of power out of the govt's hands so they can't get away with the draconian sheeit they're pulling at the moment.

BIG IRISH
08-25-2006, 02:54 AM
Same in Oz - at the very least, we need our Senate balance of power out of the govt's hands so they can't get away with the draconian sheeit they're pulling at the moment.

OMG it appears that the 3 of us are in agreement

However, I remember that last time this happened there was one very big stalemate and a lot of bad compromises.

I have a friend that married a woman from NZ, He retired from the military
and was going to live on her farm.

He was not allowed, they have too many americans, They sold the farm
and are now living in Wyoming.

I edited this into another post, you may have missed it:

BTW- I was in Sidney in December 1968, however as a young GI on R&R
from Nam, I didn't get out of the Kings Cross Area, excpet for a Dinner
with a family from Philly that had settled there.

I was in a Bar and the Bartender told me my money was no good. I wasn't
allowed to buy drinks, they loaded me in a taxi and sent me to my hotel
somewhere around 4 in the morning. Good times :elephant

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-25-2006, 03:07 AM
Yeah, we all agree! Woah! :lol

Sydney in 1968, wow. My father was serving on the HMS Sydney, a converted aircraft carrier transporting troops to Vietnam around that time. That must have been wonderful, except that afterwards you had to go back to the jungle. :(

BIG IRISH
08-25-2006, 03:27 AM
Yeah, we all agree! Woah! :lol

Sydney in 1968, wow. My father was serving on the HMS Sydney, a converted aircraft carrier transporting troops to Vietnam around that time. That must have been wonderful, except that afterwards you had to go back to the jungle. :(

Not the jungle, but Nha Trang on Temorary duty. I was stationed at Cam Rahn Bay., but that is a different story for another time.

a very good post=http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48728

I would like for you to read the Pentagon Papers. This alone will show you how the American People are lied to and why some folks like Dan have a right to be cynical about the American Politicans.

On a personal note; There are three names on the wall from my graduating HS Class of just over 100.

There a a lot more than hillbillies in WVa.