PDA

View Full Version : One of the Best and Worst Days of My Life

desflood
08-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Yesterday our dog got out of the yard and bit somebody down the street. They're going to quarantine him for 10 days to watch for rabies and then we're going to have to have him put down. My family loves that dog, dammit. We've had him for six years, since the oldest kid was a baby and the dog was just a puppy :depressed

On a different note, we closed on the house last night! So, this weekend we're moving into the first home we've ever owned. I'll finally have a dishwasher and a bathroom I can walk more than two steps in :elephant

We're running the whole gamut of emotions this week.

tlongII
08-25-2006, 11:15 AM
What kind of dog? I didn't know that they killed dogs as soon as they bite a person!

ShoogarBear
08-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Really? For a single offense? Did anyone else witness it? How do you know he wasn't provoked?

(I'm not justifying him running loose, however.)

desflood
08-25-2006, 11:42 AM
There was a neighbor outside with one of her dogs in the yard (not sure if that dog was on a leash or not) and our dog went for it. She tried to step in the middle to get her dog (!) and her fingers were bitten. We know our dog doesn't like other dogs (that's why we don't have any), but he loves people and would never bite one that wasn't threatening the family in some way. The problem is that he's a very large german shepherd (over 100 lbs.) and people see him as a definite threat, especially now.

ShoogarBear
08-25-2006, 12:02 PM
I guess I still don't understand why your dog has to be put down.

Mixability
08-25-2006, 01:14 PM
There was a neighbor outside with one of her dogs in the yard (not sure if that dog was on a leash or not) and our dog went for it. She tried to step in the middle to get her dog (!) and her fingers were bitten. We know our dog doesn't like other dogs (that's why we don't have any), but he loves people and would never bite one that wasn't threatening the family in some way. The problem is that he's a very large german shepherd (over 100 lbs.) and people see him as a definite threat, especially now.

Ah, German Sheperd. You're lucky they gave him 10 days, if it were a pit bull, they probably would have shot the dog immediately. I hate when bad owners give certain breeds a bad name. That's all you ever hear on the news, Pit Bull attacks child, etc. :rolleyes Sorry to hear about your dog, you should fight it. :madrun

Spurminator
08-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Well, if you're moving, it shouldn't be a threat to your neighbors.

What if you positioned it that you're moving into a new home where you'll be more able to keep your dog in your yard?

mavs>spurs2
08-25-2006, 05:54 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news but you are liable for what happened. Your dog was lose, and the neighbor and their dog were on their own turf. Maybe if you are so concerned for the dog then you should be more careful about keeping him from running loose. By the way German Shepards are great dogs, just try to keep him in the yard next time. I can't see how they can put a dog down for a 1st offense, especially since he was going for the dog, not the owner. Accidents happen but you may have to pay a fine.

ALVAREZ6
08-25-2006, 05:57 PM
That sucks about the dog, bad luck I guess.

You should go Beethoven style and rescue your dog.

2Blonde
08-25-2006, 06:02 PM
Maybe Desflood is saying that they are going to have to put the dog down for reasons of safety, not because the law is making them. I know that my husband and I have always said that we love our german shepherds like children but if they ever bit someone then we would have them put to sleep. It not worth it to worry about someone's life being in danger from your pet. Additionally, there are many insurance company's that won't issue home-owner's policies to people with dogs that have ever bitten before or people who own dogs that are considered a high risk breed such as a german shepherd. We live in such a litigious society today.

desflood
08-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Maybe Desflood is saying that they are going to have to put the dog down for reasons of safety, not because the law is making them. I know that my husband and I have always said that we love our german shepherds like children but if they ever bit someone then we would have them put to sleep. It not worth it to worry about someone's life being in danger from your pet. Additionally, there are many insurance company's that won't issue home-owner's policies to people with dogs that have ever bitten before or people who own dogs that are considered a high risk breed such as a german shepherd. We live in such a litigious society today.
:tu

Buddy Holly
08-25-2006, 06:39 PM
I wouldn't put the dog down, just be more careful in the future. Ending a life for an accident isn't fair to the creature losing it.

Melmart1
08-25-2006, 06:42 PM
What the hell kind of idiot tries to put their hands inbetween two dogs snapping at each other? Sounds to me like the lady was asking for it. You pull them away by leashes, turn a hose on them, something. But you don't put a friggin limb between them.

ShoogarBear
08-25-2006, 06:45 PM
I would agree if the dog atacked someone spontaneously. The story as described, however, is a dog scrapping with another dog, and someone gets bitten trying to separate them. To me, that's a different situation.

DaSpurs#1
08-25-2006, 06:48 PM
that suck about having to put it down, it was an accident doesn't mean it'll happen again, i think they should let you keep your dog. and i think its the stooges fault who put their hand in front of them.

What the hell kind of idiot tries to put their hands inbetween two dogs snapping at each other? Sounds to me like the lady was asking for it. You pull them away by leashes, turn a hose on them, something. But you don't put a friggin limb between them.yep, that's just like running in front of a car and expecting it to stop just for you

ORION
08-25-2006, 07:27 PM
I remeber the old days when a dog bit your ass because you were too stupid to avoid it. Now they want to put them all down.

Spurminator
08-25-2006, 07:34 PM
I would agree if the dog atacked someone spontaneously. The story as described, however, is a dog scrapping with another dog, and someone gets bitten trying to separate them. To me, that's a different situation.

Yeah.

I mean, it's your choice, obviously, and I can't pretend to know all of the considerations you're making but putting your dog down for biting someone once in 6 years seems a little harsh to me. Just keep it fenced or tied up.

ShoogarBear
08-25-2006, 07:46 PM
I'm also not trying to say you're doing the wrong thing. Just that I'm surprised that it seems you have to do it.

TDMVPDPOY
08-26-2006, 03:40 AM
if your goin to put down ur dog, can i come by and pick it up for my asian restauraunt?

kris
08-26-2006, 04:13 AM
Your dog is getting a raw deal. I'm surprised you aren't trying something. There are a lot of other avenues besides death.

missmyzte
08-26-2006, 08:18 AM
I had a dog growing up that was half german shepherd, he was the sweetest dog in the world. Sorry to hear about your dog, I hope there's a way around having to put the dog down, as everyone above is saying.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-26-2006, 11:01 AM
Seriously, if its a legal issue then I'm sorry, but if this is you making the decision, I'd tell you to try and give it away first. Its not fair to kill the poor thing just because he accidentally bit a person and didn't know better.

mavs>spurs2
08-26-2006, 11:26 AM
The dog shouldn't be put down, any dog could accidently bite a dumbass who is dumb enough to jump in between a dog fight. It would be a different story if he just went after her but that's not the case. It seems that he had no intentions of hurting the lady and if this is his 1st offense he deserves a second chance.

angel_luv
08-26-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm sorry about your dog Desflood. I know this must be a hard time for you. I will say a prayer for you and your family.
:)

An Uncrowned Queen
08-26-2006, 10:07 PM
What the hell kind of idiot tries to put their hands inbetween two dogs snapping at each other? Sounds to me like the lady was asking for it. You pull them away by leashes, turn a hose on them, something. But you don't put a friggin limb between them.

True.

Kori Ellis
08-27-2006, 10:55 PM
If they aren't making you put the dog down why not give him/her away?

That was going to be my question. If you tell the new owner honestly what happened and they still want to take your dog, then you should let them.

I guess I'm not amazed at how many critical responses there are here saying she should have done better keeping her dog under wraps. This place is still full of pompous assholes. You people should know accidents happen all the time, I doubt she intended for the dog to escape. GS are smart dogs I'm sure he/she found a clever way out. I guess there are a few people here that are so perfect this would never happen. You people make me sick.

True, it's hard sometimes to keep dogs in. Deuce and Yogi have found ways to dig out of our yard a few times and we still don't have a permanent solution. We might try electric fence or something.

tlongII
08-28-2006, 01:16 PM
I am perfect and it would never happen to me!

Of course...I don't have a dog............

101A
08-28-2006, 01:34 PM
I was bit by a dog (infamous "Big Black Dog) back some 30 years ago in our neighborhood (Meadow Village near Marbach) - back in the day, as it were....

Anyway, mom called the police, cop showed up, asked me which house, walked over and shot the dog in the head. Sounds like the policy is still in effect, just a little less dramatic.

101A
08-28-2006, 01:36 PM
That was going to be my question. If you tell the new owner honestly what happened and they still want to take your dog, then you should let them.

True, it's hard sometimes to keep dogs in. Deuce and Yogi have found ways to dig out of our yard a few times and we still don't have a permanent solution. We might try electric fence or something.

Invisible Fence.

We just moved up north - and almost nobody up here as any "real" fences; the yards just blend together. Anyway, they put the wires under the ground, and a collar that "teaches" the dog not to cross the wire. Works ABSOLUTELY; two pops and our dog NEVER tests it; with no physical barrier whatsoever - they even lay the wire accross the driveway; dog has full access to our entire lot.