PDA

View Full Version : Maccabi Tel Aviv(Europe) Signs Buford;In Talks With Jumaine Jones and Dermarr Johnson

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-26-2006, 09:46 AM
Basketball / Maccabi TA eyes former Hawk DerMarr Johnson

By Yoav Borowitz

After signing Rodney Buford earlier this week, Maccabi Tel Aviv is in talks with DerMarr Johnson and Doron Perkins.

Johnson, 26, a 2.06-meter shooting guard, is a veteran of five years in the NBA, where he averaged 6.6 points and 2.4 rebounds. He was picked at No. 6 by the Atlanta Hawks in the 2000 NBA Draft after only one year at the University of Cincinnati.

After two seasons with Atlanta, Johnson was involved in a serious car accident that sidelined him for the entire 2002/3 season. He returned to the league with the New York Knicks, playing 21 games before joining the Denver Nuggets the following season. Johnson averaged 7.1 points in his first season at Denver and 6.1 points last season.

Perkins is a 23-year-old guard who played last season for Toyota Alvark in the Japan, where he was voted league MVP. Perkins starred at Santa Clara University alongside Steve Nash and averaged 15.4 points, 6 rebounds and 3.4 assists.

Perkins stood out with the Lost Angeles Lakers summer league team, where he filled in for American-Jewish star Jordan Farmer. However, his young age and lack of experience could tip the scales against him.

"Perkins was great in the summer league, but I wouldn't say he was the focus of our efforts right now, " said Maccabi coach Neven Spahija, who added that former Cleveland Cavalier Dajuan Wagner and former Indiana Pacer Travis Best were also not among the team's first choice targets.

Another player Maccabi is looking at is Jumaine Jones, a 27-year-old small forward who played last season for the Charlotte Bobcats, averaging 10.5 points and 4.9 rebounds.

"Jones is an talented athletic player who knows how to shoot and pass," Spahija said. "He could be very suited to Europe and a worthy replacement for Maceo Baston."

Budkin
08-26-2006, 12:13 PM
I still hope we can work something out for Jumaine Jones. I think he'd be a good fit with the Spurs.

Bob Lanier
08-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Both of them are better than Flip fucking Murray. :bang

PhxDog
08-26-2006, 03:28 PM
According to some Israeli kid on RealGM, Maccabi's coach said Jumaine Jones would sign with Phoenix.

Makes sense for the Suns if it's true, because they still need a 'big' to be their 10th man. I believe the Suns still have $1.6m left from their MLE.

Bruno
08-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Jumaine Jones is quite similar with james Jones, I don't see the point for Phoenix to sign him. If I were Suns' GM, I would sign Kandiman. Even if it's a gamble, he is a nice fit with Suns : big, good defender, quite athletic.