PDA

View Full Version : Football: Cowboys fine Owens $9,500 for missing team meeting, rehab

Chris
08-28-2006, 07:17 AM
Source http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/football/nfl/cowboys/stories/MYSA082806.1D.Cowboys.2e3c99f.html

Web Posted: 08/27/2006 10:06 PM CDT

Tom Orsborn
Express-News Staff Writer

IRVING — Shortly after signing a three-year, $25 million contract with the Dallas Cowboys in March, Terrell Owens vowed at a news conference he would be a better man and a better teammate for his new team.
"I know what's expected of me," Owens said while facing owner Jerry Jones.

"I won't let you down."

On Friday, Owens broke his promise by missing a team meeting, a rehabilitation session and by being late to an offensive meeting.

Jones reacted quickly, fining Owens $9,500, the Dallas Morning News reported Sunday.

The incidents — the newspaper says there have been other missed rehab sessions that resulted in fines — are sure to increase speculation in the media and elsewhere that Owens' relationship with the club and coach Bill Parcells, in particular, is strained.

Terrell Owens by the numbers

It was probably only a matter of time before Terrell Owens was going to cause headaches for the Dallas Cowboys. But this soon?

31 practices the Cowboys have held since the beginning of training camp.

19 times Owens has missed practice and pedaled a stationary bicycle as part of his rehab for a hamstring injury.

12 practices in which Owens has worked out with his teammates.

3 exhibition games Owens has missed. Dallas has won them all and ends its preseason Thursday at home vs. Minnesota.

Timeline for T.O.
A look at Terrell Owens' training camp with the Cowboys:
July 26 — Drives from Los Angeles to greet team upon its arrival at Point Mugu Naval Air Station.

July 29 — Thrills opening-day crowd of 5,500 in Oxnard, Calif., by catching long touchdown pass from Tony Romo.

Aug. 2 — Reports a twinge in his left hamstring to team trainers and misses practice for the first time. Rides stationary bike instead.

Aug. 4 — MRI exam of hamstring shows no damage.

Aug. 5 —Sits out scrimmage.

Aug. 7 — Tell reporters he's flying his own training and medical teams to Oxnard along with his hyperbaric chamber.

Aug. 9 — Causes a stir at practice when, as a joke, he wears a Team Discovery cycling jersey, biking helmet and goggles while doing his rehab work on the stationary bike.

Aug. 12 — Misses preseason opener in Seattle, which the Cowboys won.

Aug. 16 — Returns to practice in Oxnard.

Aug. 21 — Watches in Dallas while team defeats Saints in Shreveport, La.

Aug. 22 — Says too many practice repetitions aggravated hamstring injury — misses practice.

Aug. 25 — Misses rehab session, team meeting and meeting for offense and is fined $9,500.

Aug. 26 — Sits out preseason victory against 49ers at Texas Stadium

Owens, one of the league's best receivers and most notorious personalities, has a long history of run-ins with his coaches and teammates. Philadelphia suspended and deactivated him at midseason last year for conduct detrimental to the team, an action that led the Eagles to release him in March.
Less than a week later, the Cowboys welcomed him with open arms and a $5 million signing bonus. But so far, the club has seen little from Owens to indicate there will be a return on its investment.

The Cowboys downed San Francisco 17-7 on Saturday to raise their preseason record to 3-0 for the first time since 1985. But Dallas' strong exhibition play has been overshadowed by the drama surrounding Owens, Parcells and Jones.

Owens hasn't played in any of the preseason games because of a strained left hamstring that also has led him to miss 19 of 31 practices since training camp started in late July.

Two MRI exams of Owens' hamstring have failed to show any damage. But Owens said he aggravated the injury after returning to practice two weeks ago for several days.

Now Owens insists he won't practice or play until he's 100 percent healed. Parcells, meanwhile, maintains he needs to see what Owens can do on the field, mainly because the Cowboys are the first NFL team Owens has played for that didn't run the West Coast offense.

"If (Parcells) wants to see something, he has 10 years of film to go back and look on," Owens said last week. "Like I said, I'm very confident, and that's not to discredit what he's saying."

Jones seems to side with Owens and insists all is well between himself, the receiver and Parcells. Jones noted Saturday that two other high-profile receivers, Carolina's Steve Smith and Pittsburgh's Hines Ward, also are battling hamstring problems. Jones also said he thinks Owens will be like former Cowboys cornerback Deion Sanders, who often missed practices because of injuries only to shine in games.

"I know this — when (Owens) is healthy, he's going to help us win these ballgames," Jones said.

Owens isn't the only injured Cowboy whose behavior is coming under scrutiny by the club. Kicker Mike Vanderjagt missed his second-straight game Saturday with a groin injury.

Vanderjagt said Parcells lectured him before the game.

"We didn't hug," Vanderjagt said. "He's frustrated, and he expressed his frustration with me. He's rather annoyed with me."

Vanderjagt, the most accurate kicker in NFL history, received a $2.5 million signing bonus as part of a three-year deal in March.

The Cowboys end their preseason schedule at home Thursday night against Minnesota. The regular-season opener is Sept. 10 at Jacksonville.

__________________________________________________ _______________

So is this just the beginning of something horrible or just another Deion Sanders? Personally, I think it's a bit hyped up considering it's T.O. but I can almost guarantee Parcells is a very unhappy camper right now.

johngateswhiteley
08-28-2006, 07:28 AM
...this is hilarious, imo. interesting to see how it plays out.

Obstructed_View
08-28-2006, 07:44 AM
It's a typical preseason in Dallas.

samikeyp
08-28-2006, 07:49 AM
I think it should have been more money. $9500 is pocket change for T.O.

Pre-season folks. This is T.O.'s way of getting out of preseason football and training camp. When the games matter, he will be there. You will see "sudden improvement" in T.O.'s hammy not too long after the last preseason game.

ALVAREZ6
08-28-2006, 09:41 AM
T.O. will have his problems on any team.

Good luck Dallas

j-6
08-28-2006, 10:24 AM
Owens fucked over three other teams - San Francisco, Baltimore, and Philadelphia, in the space of five years because he cannot act like a professional. What really makes anyone think Dallas is going to be any different?

Fillmoe
08-28-2006, 10:26 AM
TO FUCKED UP!wow what a shocker

METALMiKE
08-28-2006, 05:58 PM
Owens fucked over three other teams - San Francisco, Baltimore, and Philadelphia, in the space of five years because he cannot act like a professional. What really makes anyone think Dallas is going to be any different?
Baltimore??

samikeyp
08-28-2006, 06:14 PM
He was briefly traded to Baltimore from SF...his agent forgot to file the free agency papers so SF traded him to Baltimore. He wanted to play for Philly and refused to report to the Ravens so Baltimore, Philly and SF worked a three-way deal out and he got to go to the Eagles.