PDA

View Full Version : THE University of Texas names McCoy Starter for Sept. 2nd

BeerIsGood!
08-28-2006, 11:39 AM
AUSTIN, Texas -- Redshirt freshman Colt McCoy (Tuscola, Texas/Jim Ned HS) has been named the Longhorns starting quarterback, head coach Mack Brown announced on Monday. McCoy will become the fourth freshman quarterback to start a game since Mack Brown arrived at Texas in 1998. He’ll be the first Longhorn freshman quarterback to start the season opener since redshirt freshman Shea Morenz in 1993.

The previous three freshmen that started a game during the Mack Brown era, redshirt freshman Major Applewhite (1998), true freshman Chris Simms (1999) and redshirt freshman Vince Young (2003), combined to post a starting record of 14-4 in their first seasons. Applewhite and Young both rank among the top five on several UT freshman statistical lists and earned Big 12 Freshman of the Year honors.

“Greg Davis is the best there is at developing quarterbacks, and we’ve had a great deal of success when we’ve had to play freshmen here,” Brown said. “He has Colt really prepared as we head into the season, and I think he’ll put him in a position for our offense to continue the success we’ve had the last several years.”

“I’m really excited about where we are at the quarterback position. All four of our quarterbacks — Colt, Jevan (Snead), Matt (McCoy) and Sherrod (Harris) — have worked really hard and are doing a great job for us. Colt and Jevan competed hard for the starting job, performed well and really helped each other out in the spring and throughout camp. I think we’re at as good of a spot as we could expect at the position. All they need now is to get some game experience.”

The 6-foot-3, 205-pound McCoy was 34-2 as a prep starter and a two-time Texas 2A Associated Press Offensive MVP. His 9,344 passing yards are tops in Texas 2A history and fourth overall in Lone Star State high school annals. McCoy led Jim Ned to the state 2A finals as a junior. He completed 536-of-849 passes (63.1%) for 9,344 yards and 116 TDs in his career and also rushed 206 times for 1,575 yards and 21 TDs. McCoy, who spent the 2005 season redshirting and learning from Davis and Davey O’Brien Award winner (nation’s top QB) Vince Young, registered 10,919 yards of total offense as a prepster. He also has earned a spot on UT’s Athletics Director’s Honor Roll (3.0 GPA) in each of his two semesters on campus.

“Colt gained a great deal of experience during his redshirt year and has worked really hard to build on that during the spring and summer,” Brown said. “He had a terrific camp and was at his best during our scrimmages. We’re really excited about his progress and looking forward to seeing him in game action this week against North Texas.”

Texas’ freshman quarterback will benefit from the return of seven starters and several other key contributors from a record-setting offense that led the nation in scoring (50.2 ppg) and pass efficiency (160.94), ranked second in rushing (274.9 ypg) and finished third in total offense (512.1 ypg) in 2005. The Longhorns set an NCAA record for points (652) in a season and became only the fifth team in NCAA history to register more than 50 points and 500 yards per game en route to the National Championship.

“Our offense has a chance to once again be one of the best in the country,” Brown said. “There has been a lot of talk about the quarterback, but we know what the rest of those guys gave us all of last year. We have some places where we’ll need to step up, but we’re excited about our experience we return, particularly on the offensive line, at receiver and in the running game.”

McCoy will be backed up by 6-foot-3, 215-pound true freshman Jevan Snead (Stephenville, Texas/Stephenville HS), who graduated high school early and enrolled at UT last spring. A Parade All-American who was 23-2 as a prep starter, Snead threw for 7,955 yards and 100 TDs in his final two high school seasons. He completed 230-of-370 passes for 3,546 yards and 38 TDs in leading Stephenville to the state 4A semifinals as a senior. Snead also ran for 766 yards and 23 TDs that year. A two-time All-State selection, He completed 411-of-674 passes (61.0%) and added 1,384 yards and 33 TDs rushing during his final two prep seasons. Snead tallied 9,339 yards of total offense as a prepster.

“The progress Jevan has made being less than a year separated from his senior year in high school has been pretty unbelievable,” Brown added. “He picked up on things quickly in the spring, came into camp in great shape and showed some great progress. We’re really excited about what he can bring to our team. We’ll continue to develop a plan get him some playing time.”

McCoy will become UT’s sixth freshman QB to start since Morenz in 1993. He follows Young (2003), Simms (1999), Applewhite (1998), redshirt freshman James Brown (1994) and Morenz (1993) as freshman quarterbacks who have started at UT in the last 14 years. Three other freshmen have started at Texas since freshmen became eligible to play in 1972. They are redshirt freshman Peter Gardere (1989), redshirt freshman Mark Murdock (1988) and true freshman Mark McBath (1976).

Texas opens the season on Saturday, Sept. 2, at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium against North Texas (11 a.m./Central/FSN). The Longhorns are riding a 20-game winning streak (best in nation/second-best in school history) and a 15-game home winning streak (second-best in nation/fourth-best in school history).

Not a big surprise to me... I figured McCoy's redshirt year would give him the edge here. Now he has the keys to the high powered machine - let's see how he drives it.

scott
08-28-2006, 08:41 PM
I think I'll be taking Texas -41 in my pool at work this week...

LaMarcus Bryant
08-28-2006, 08:55 PM
yeeesh

texas is so fucked this year its not even funny

Holmes_Fans
08-28-2006, 09:25 PM
I think I'll be taking Texas -41 in my pool at work this week...
I would love to bet you on that spread.

mookie2001
08-28-2006, 09:27 PM
lol remember when the truth bet the house on colorado to cover in the big12 titlegame?

scott
08-28-2006, 09:34 PM
I would love to bet you on that spread.

You don't think UT will cover? I can't imagine N Tx scoring, and 41 doesn't seem like too big of a number.

Ballcox
08-29-2006, 10:32 AM
I think the only thing that would prevent us from covering the 41 points is the probability that we'll have a number of 2nd team guys playing in the second half, although I think our 2nd team could beat a number of other schools straight up.

degenerate_gambler
08-29-2006, 02:07 PM
You don't think UT will cover? I can't imagine N Tx scoring, and 41 doesn't seem like too big of a number.

I need to dig up the stats because laying that much chalk is more often than not a loser.

Mr Dio
08-29-2006, 03:00 PM
Even though I shouldn't I still like to tease games.
On a 3tm-10pt teaser.

ND -7 ----------------> +3
Ohio St -17 -----------> -7
Penn St -15.5 ---------> -5.5

I still do like Ohio St -17 & ND -7.
What I actually take is to be seen.

degenerate_gambler
08-29-2006, 03:51 PM
I wish you luck Mr. Dio...teasing CFB games is a scary proposition.

I'm thinking GTech is a live dog.

Mr Dio
08-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Yeah, college has given me an ulcer every now & then.

LB7
08-29-2006, 06:43 PM
yeeesh

Um why is this?

mookie2001
08-29-2006, 06:45 PM
classic late august cbf

LaMarcus Bryant
08-29-2006, 07:02 PM
texas can't even depend on the most important player in the entire game--the QB. Our tenth year senior running back has had one good year his entire career, and that was as a backup. Selvin actually LOST weight this summer, says its helping him. Yeah right. Texas is so fucked if Jamaal Charles gets hurt, bottom line. And he's already going to get bloated by every team's linebackers unless our McGee-esque QB's can get the job done.

BTW, did I mention how Brown explicitely told reporters that Snead would see ample playing time against NT? Yes, thats right, QB controversy at Texas. It's fucking inevitable. Texas is fucked.

LB7
08-29-2006, 07:47 PM
texas can't even depend on the most important player in the entire game--the QB. Our tenth year senior running back has had one good year his entire career, and that was as a backup. Selvin actually LOST weight this summer, says its helping him. Yeah right. Texas is so fucked if Jamaal Charles gets hurt, bottom line. And he's already going to get bloated by every team's linebackers unless our McGee-esque QB's can get the job done.

BTW, did I mention how Brown explicitely told reporters that Snead would see ample playing time against NT? Yes, thats right, QB controversy at Texas. It's fucking inevitable. Texas is fucked.
Still not seeing how they are f*cked...but whatever you say.

BeerIsGood!
08-30-2006, 09:57 AM

How do you know they can't? Granted neither of these guys is going to pull off Vince Young like scrambles, but behind that offensive line and with those weapons they shouldn't have to. McCoy has a good, accurate arm. He should be able to find his weapons and distribute the ball when the RB aren't eating up 7 yards a carry. He's been in the system for one full season plus an offseason now, and with the defense the 'Horns have he won't have the pressure of having to put up huge offensive numbers.

LaMarcus Bryant
08-30-2006, 06:30 PM
People have been saying texas has a 'good offensive line' for years now, and we still needed young's scrambling to bring us back from Kansas University in 2004, and Oklahoma State + USC in 2005/2006, among others. Being 'in the system' compared to actually playing in a game is tantamount to jacking off and having sex.
Also, our defense was already top 5 last year and still we needed young's legs. We lost a Thorpe winner (not to mention we're still severely missing our Geiggar) and instead of a true coverage safety we have a hard hitter....
The only plus side to this year's defense is that we hope those Finger pushups at practice will help the D catch more interceptions this season. If we do that, then we will in fact, have no need to catch up. But we blew a shitload of interceptions last season. 22.

LaMarcus Bryant
08-30-2006, 08:04 PM
I dont know shit about football:elephant

BeerIsGood!
08-31-2006, 02:42 AM
People have been saying texas has a 'good offensive line' for years now, and we still needed young's scrambling to bring us back from Kansas University in 2004, and Oklahoma State + USC in 2005/2006, among others. Being 'in the system' compared to actually playing in a game is tantamount to jacking off and having sex.
Also, our defense was already top 5 last year and still we needed young's legs. We lost a Thorpe winner (not to mention we're still severely missing our Geiggar) and instead of a true coverage safety we have a hard hitter....
The only plus side to this year's defense is that we hope those Finger pushups at practice will help the D catch more interceptions this season. If we do that, then we will in fact, have no need to catch up. But we blew a shitload of interceptions last season. 22.

Except for Ohio State (who had one of the best defenses in the country last season) and USC (who had two heisman winners and was being considered the best team of all time) the 'Horns blasted people all season and had the vast majority of the games won by halftime. I watched all of them, and for the first time I started feeling sorry for teams that were getting beaten down by 35 or more at the half. Vince's arm and coolness helped in the Ohio State game, but the defense won that game. Vince's arm and legs won the USC game. Other than that, Vince was on the sideline after one or two series in the 3rd quarter. I think there is enough coming back to win the majority of games by a comfortable margin again this year. The trap games are Ohio State, OU, and NEB on the road. If they can win those this should be another great season. UT has Tech's gadget offense figured out and the Yosemite Sam rip offs haven't mustered any sort of a challenge in over three years.

monosylab1k
08-31-2006, 08:18 AM
Were it not for Vince Young, people in Texas would still be bitching about what a piece of shit coach Mack Brown is. Vince Young saved him from losing his gig at UT. Now that Young's gone, we'll all go back to seeing what a tremendous recruiter/godawful coach this guy has always been and always will be.

He totally bungled the Applewhite/Simms situation, and there's no doubt in my mind he'll do the same thing here.

BeerIsGood!
08-31-2006, 09:55 AM
Were it not for Vince Young, people in Texas would still be bitching about what a piece of shit coach Mack Brown is. Vince Young saved him from losing his gig at UT. Now that Young's gone, we'll all go back to seeing what a tremendous recruiter/godawful coach this guy has always been and always will be.

He totally bungled the Applewhite/Simms situation, and there's no doubt in my mind he'll do the same thing here.
One difference - Assistant coaches. With Gene Chizik and Duane Akina the defense is better than ever, and Greg Davis has learned from the Sims situation. Texas may have already had a national champ. if it were not for Sims' folding like a tent under pressure in the Big XII Champ. game.

And fuck you too. :spin

Mr Dio
08-31-2006, 12:26 PM
I dont know shit about football:elephant

Damn, Mook strikes!

Anyone talk to CBF & make sure he was going to be in Austin next wkend?
NO EXCUSES!

Mr Dio
08-31-2006, 12:29 PM
Were it not for Vince Young, people in Texas would still be bitching about what a piece of shit coach Mack Brown is. Vince Young saved him from losing his gig at UT. Now that Young's gone, we'll all go back to seeing what a tremendous recruiter/godawful NATIONAL CHAMPION coach this guy has always been and always will be except for the past 2 yrs running INCLUDING the UNDISPUTED NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

There, the stmnt above is now a little more accurate. :lol

LaMarcus Bryant
08-31-2006, 05:36 PM
mookie you are such a fucking baby
if you were a longhorn you'd be jordan shipley, except more useless

It's not THAT obvious me saying we haven't ruled out double TE sets, first of all, they were not as useful as we hoped when we had thomas and SCAIFE--we hardly ran them towards the end of the season, second of all, both thomas and scaife were better blocking TE tandem than our current TE's, and most importantly, the double TE set did not work very well against teams with fast linebackers.

So suck it

You can't be too overconfident about our team this year.

We had more peices in place for a title run in 2003 and 2004, and mookie predicted undefeated seasons both of those years--yet in 2004 he still violently threw an entire bowl of pigs in a blanket at me when OU was beating the shit out of us.

BeerIsGood!
09-01-2006, 12:40 PM
mookie you are such a fucking baby
if you were a longhorn you'd be jordan shipley, except more useless

It's not THAT obvious me saying we haven't ruled out double TE sets, first of all, they were not as useful as we hoped when we had thomas and SCAIFE--we hardly ran them towards the end of the season, second of all, both thomas and scaife were better blocking TE tandem than our current TE's, and most importantly, the double TE set did not work very well against teams with fast linebackers.

So suck it

You can't be too overconfident about our team this year.

We had more peices in place for a title run in 2003 and 2004, and mookie predicted undefeated seasons both of those years--yet in 2004 he still violently threw an entire bowl of pigs in a blanket at me when OU was beating the shit out of us.

There lies the difference. OU is a shadow of its former self from those years. The D is there, but they have no QB and a very weak offense compared to the ones they had those years. The good thing about this season is that there is no big USC "best of all time" bullshit team or any really dominant team out there. The door is wide open for about 8 different teams to walk through, and if the QBs can pick people apart with the loads of time they'll have behind the best OLine in the nation then UT could very well walk through to a N.T. I am not saying it's a given, but very possible.

Mr Dio
09-01-2006, 12:58 PM
ouSLESS has PT @ QB which = 3 losses minimum with the bowl loss.

BeerIsGood!
09-01-2006, 05:31 PM
I looked at the scores from last year's Championship team and I noticed that UT only had two games that they won by less than 10 and four games that they won by less than 20 (including a 19 pt over Ok.St.). That's domination, and that can't all be Vince Young. Other than Ohio St. and Neb in Lincoln I don't see much trouble on this year's schedule. OU may get another 45-12 layed on them.

Mr Dio
09-01-2006, 05:52 PM
I looked at the scores from last year's Championship team and I noticed that UT only had two games that they won by less than 10 and four games that they won by less than 20 (including a 19 pt over Ok.St.). That's domination, and that can't all be Vince Young. Other than Ohio St. and Neb in Lincoln I don't see much trouble on this year's schedule. OU may get another 45-12 layed on them.

Indeed.
VY did win apprx 3 games with his heroics but VY didn't play Special Teams or Defense & GC's D will be better this yr.

BeerIsGood!
09-01-2006, 06:15 PM
Indeed.
VY did win apprx 3 games with his heroics but VY didn't play Special Teams or Defense & GC's D will be better this yr.
All we need is McCoy to make the right reads and get the ball to his receivers accurately. That line will give him time, and from watching him play a couple of times at Jim Ned (I have lived in Abilene for the last 3 years and Jim Ned School is in Tuscola about 10 miles away) he seemed to have a good, accurate arm. Of course, that was Texas HS 2A ball.

BeerIsGood!
09-04-2006, 01:33 PM
McCoy looked like the right choice to play QB this season. Accurate arm and nice plays... was even able to utilize the hard count effectively. If this game is any indicator - he should be the QB the rest of the year.

BeerIsGood!
11-04-2006, 10:30 PM
BIG Time fucking BUMP here... the boy McCoy just set the all time Texas touchdown record with only 4 ints... he's officially a beast.

Granted neither of these guys is going to pull off Vince Young like scrambles, but behind that offensive line and with those weapons they shouldn't have to. McCoy has a good, accurate arm. He should be able to find his weapons and distribute the ball when the RB aren't eating up 7 yards a carry. He's been in the system for one full season plus an offseason now, and with the defense the 'Horns have he won't have the pressure of having to put up huge offensive numbers.

McCoy looked like the right choice to play QB this season. Accurate arm and nice plays... was even able to utilize the hard count effectively. If this game is any indicator - he should be the QB the rest of the year.

Damn, this guy knew what he was talking about.

samikeyp
11-04-2006, 11:53 PM
Most TD passes in a single Horn season and two away from tying most TD passes by a Freshman in NCAA history.

Not bad for a kid from Tuscola. :toast

makedamnsure
11-05-2006, 01:06 AM
Wooo where's the love for Colt?

cecil collins
11-05-2006, 11:57 AM
He was the reason we lost to Ohio state with his jittery footwork and off target throws on the slant. He just couldn't keep the drives going. That was when the running game was actually a lot better. I don't blame him since it was his second start ever, and he's definitely a different guy now, accurate as hell. I think Ohio state would have to score more than 24 to win in a rematch. Colt has become exactly what this offense needs. He spreads the ball with precision, and gets some tough yards with his legs. All being said, I'm scared of the thought of him being the guy for his entire career. I think Chiles or Brantley would be a better choice. Colt's good, but I see him as having a cap on how good he can be against the great teams, I hope I'm wrong.

BeerIsGood!
11-05-2006, 01:22 PM
Chiles and Brantley have the talent - but do they have the heart? Without the heart they will be another Chris Simms. Only time will tell. Either way, it's a good problem to have - should I go with this great QB or that great QB?? As long as they keep getting choice talent all over the field, they will continue to dominate.

cecil collins
11-05-2006, 06:45 PM
Chiles and Brantley have the talent - but do they have the heart? Without the heart they will be another Chris Simms. Only time will tell. Either way, it's a good problem to have - should I go with this great QB or that great QB?? As long as they keep getting choice talent all over the field, they will continue to dominate.
Mccoy is a warrior. I can't believe he tried to run that guy over.

BeerIsGood!
11-05-2006, 07:03 PM
He also threw that block on the LB during the reverse that damn near de-cleated the LB. The farm boy is one tough, rugged SOB - that's for sure.

Horry For 3!
11-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Most TD passes in a single Horn season and two away from tying most TD passes by a Freshman in NCAA history.

Not bad for a kid from Tuscola. :toast
He'll get more than 2 TDs against Kansas State and A&M.

samikeyp
11-05-2006, 09:42 PM
He'll get more than 2 TDs against Kansas State and A&M.

Yes he will!

timvp
01-09-2007, 06:42 PM
yeeesh

texas can't even depend on the most important player in the entire game--the QB. Yes, thats right, QB controversy at Texas. It's fucking inevitable. Texas is fucked.

I knew that neocon would get it done :clap :clap :clap

LaMarcus Bryant
01-09-2007, 06:58 PM
timvp im the most pessimistic poster on this entire forum, i have to be cuz i jinx my teams when im an optimist
UT did fuckin blow it too, mookie and i were present at the near collapse of our entire program at the alamodome

KB24
01-09-2007, 07:22 PM
timvp im the most pessimistic poster on this entire forum, i have to be cuz i jinx my teams when im an optimist
UT did fuckin blow it too, mookie and i were present at the near collapse of our entire program at the alamodome

ALAMO BOWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

LaMarcus Bryant
01-09-2007, 08:23 PM
It was a good game, michael 'the suckass' griffin had a clutch sack.

timvp
01-09-2007, 10:54 PM

Usually you're good for a better excuse than that.

Willinsa
01-09-2007, 10:56 PM
What's funny is that for Texas a 3 loss season is disappointing, for Aggy it's a major accomplishment.

Mr Dio
01-10-2007, 03:11 PM
What's funny is that for Texas a 3 loss season is disappointing, for Aggy it's a major accomplishment.

That is freakin' hilarious BUT sooo true. :lol :lol

BeerIsGood!
08-08-2007, 07:36 PM
This just in...

Colt McCoy is the starter for the season opener on September 1st.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-09-2007, 12:13 AM
I jack off thinking how much greater that black A&M QB noone remembers is greater than Vince Young :elephant

Thunder Dan
08-09-2007, 08:23 AM
I love how everyone now says "The" before their school now after Ohio State started it; but actually Ohio State is the only one who has it in their official name.

BeerIsGood!
08-09-2007, 09:34 AM
I love how everyone now says "The" before their school now after Ohio State started it; but actually Ohio State is the only one who has it in their official name.

Yeah, it was a joke. A year ago. And had nothing to do with Ohio State.

leemajors
08-09-2007, 09:51 AM
it was a poke at jgw.

Thunder Dan
08-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Yeah, it was a joke. A year ago. And had nothing to do with Ohio State.

I was just making an observation in general, it had nothing to do with Texas