PDA

View Full Version : Why is Team USA with coach K better than those of Gregg Popovich?

Louis
08-28-2006, 12:56 PM
I know you will say Popovich was an assistant but so what??

He was part of those horrible "defensive minded" teams that only embarrassed this great nation.

Even without a dominant Center, Team USA is beating the crap out of the world.

Coach K has made me a believer again.

cheguevara
08-28-2006, 12:59 PM
2 words, Larry Brown

and u're talking too soon. WC is not over yet.

ALVAREZ6
08-28-2006, 12:59 PM
The team was well thought out. They practiced.

ALVAREZ6
08-28-2006, 01:00 PM
:lmao

A believer of what???

Extra Stout
08-28-2006, 01:05 PM
It's amazing what a difference it can make when a national program is assembled with thought towards winning, rather than just marketing.

That said, Spain and Argentina still loom.

ALVAREZ6
08-28-2006, 01:16 PM
That said, Spain and Argentina still loom.
As an Argentina fan, I am scared of Spain. We haven't beaten Spain in who knows how long, and they look really good. Calderon is a stud on the national team, Toronto should be happy about having him on the team. They also have Garbajosa now, and Bargnani, so it should be interesting this year.

Louis
08-28-2006, 01:20 PM
As an Argentina fan, I am scared of Spain. We haven't beaten Spain in who knows how long, and they look really good. Calderon is a stud on the national team, Toronto should be happy about having him on the team. They also have Garbajosa now, and Bargnani, so it should be interesting this year.

And they also have Nesterovic :lol

Louis
08-28-2006, 01:20 PM
:lmao

A believer of what???

A believer of our national team.

tlongII
08-28-2006, 01:21 PM

It won't matter. Spain and Argentina are playing for 2nd place. Either team will get worked by the USA. One of the biggest differences with this USA team is that LeBron, D-Wade, and Melo have all had 3 years in the league now. They are vastly better than they were in 2004. CP3 is a great PG as well. This is a great team.

Louis
08-28-2006, 01:21 PM

Sounds to me like an excuse...

Louis
08-28-2006, 01:23 PM
It won't matter. Spain and Argentina are playing for 2nd place. Either team will get worked by the USA. One of the biggest differences with this USA team is that LeBron, D-Wade, and Melo have all had 3 years in the league now. They are vastly better than they were in 2004. CP3 is a great PG as well. This is a great team.

And they are getting plenty of PT

Brown and Popovich didn't allow it.

Trainwreck2100
08-28-2006, 01:24 PM

yeah because practice does not equal victory, just ask AI

Extra Stout
08-28-2006, 01:24 PM
Why would an Argentine be making excuses for the U.S. team?

Louis
08-28-2006, 01:26 PM

Why don't you ask him?

mrose31
08-28-2006, 01:27 PM

Trainwreck2100
08-28-2006, 01:28 PM

Because Rockets fans are really bored

Extra Stout
08-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you ask him?
Because it's plainly obvious to the most casual observer that an Argentine would have no motivation to make excuses for the U.S. team.

mrose31
08-28-2006, 01:32 PM

The USA got the easiest part of bracket luckily so I think they have a pretty good chance winning now but not sure. I think Spain is going to win it. They know each other better and are a talented team. USA is easily most talented team but their inexperinence with each other is going to hurt them. I think if they would have had to play argentina and Spain the would lose to 1 of them. I use to think if we took any nba team at the end of year to these championships we could win. Now I think we would have to take a team that makes the playoffs to win. Both Argentina and Spain look like they are slightly better than average NBA team.

gus
08-28-2006, 01:56 PM
This US squad is better because it plays with a more inteligent plan.
No one could run against US. I said that before ( in 2004 Olympics ) when the moron of Larry Brown wanted to play like that slow half court offense that it not suited for International Game.-

Besides coach K has Mike D'Antoni who knows the International game and knows the players..-

I repeat once again, US will beat Spain in the final. The only team who has a small chance against the US is Argentina, but the match is not gonna happen because Spain is going to beat us ( Due to Match ups.)

The Great Fantastic
08-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Louis is one of those rare posters that always makes such eloquent points. So much so, that people should get passionate about everything that he says, and not just ignore him completely. Louis is a flawless logician!

ChumpDumper
08-28-2006, 02:04 PM
Say, why are the Houston Rockets so horrible since Steve Clifford has become assistant coach compared to when Rudy T was head coach?

Solid D
08-28-2006, 02:05 PM
We don't know how Team USA will finish...but

let's talk coaches. Team USA is reversing things a bit this time. Instead of taking a successful NBA Head Coach and then adding assistants 1 Pro, 2 College, as Team USA has done the past several years - this time Team USA is taking the de Facto standard in US College Head Coaches with Coach K and as his top assistant, non other than Jim Boeheim. The same Boeheim of the classic 2-3 Matchup Zone who was brought in by Coach Pop two summers ago to try to teach it to his team. Coach K and Coach Boeheim don't take a back seat to George Karl, Larry Brown, or Phil Jackson and Pat Riley for that matter.

These two college legends are supported by Pro Coaches Mike D'Antoni (offense) and Nate McMillan (defense).

Now, I probably haven't said anything most of you didn't know, but I must say that the coaching staff is top shelf and probably an upgrade at the top 2 slots over what they have had in a long, long time.

polandprzem
08-28-2006, 02:14 PM
Love your post Solid D

Obstructed_View
08-28-2006, 02:17 PM
Is Pop the reason for all the bad calls in the olympics? Cool, something else to blame him for. Fucker.

samikeyp
08-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Brown and Popovich didn't allow it.

yeah because Pop set the rotations. :rolleyes

2004 was on Larry Brown, not Popovich.

V-2
08-28-2006, 02:24 PM
Spain is having a great tournament, but I think that other than the fact that they match up exceptionally well against Argentina, it hasn't proven anything yet. Their group was one of the 2 weakest, and winning against the Serbs is easy these days.
Spain is a very deep team and the chemistry is solid. Lithuania may be a great test for them and if they manage to win this game, their chances vs Argentina will be 50%.
Argentina is the only team that can win the final vs the US and this will be a tall order this time around. Argentina also had some of the weakest competition in the group phase, so having a good showing against Turkey will help their cause tremendously. Personally I think that they're declining, but getting to the finals is very doable.
TeamUSA is the favorite to win it all. Talent, preparation, organization, they did their homework far better than in previous tournaments. Best case scenario teamUSA faces the Spaniards in the final and they chew them up. Worst case scenario teamUSA plays Argentina in the final and this may end up to be a very close one.
The Americans need to bring their A game against Greece because there's another scenario and this will be hard to swallow. Greece played 5 mediocre games in the group phase and came back from behind to win all of them. Then the Greeks played two decent quarters against China winning the game by 31.
Greece is playing hard-nose defence and they get alot of steals resulting in fast break points (also a strength of the US team). There is no Gasol, Nocioni, Dirk, or Manu in the Greek national. They are deep, plenty of role players, well balanced, and they believe they can grab at least a medal. Greece had arguably toughest opponents in the group play, and they will face a motivated French team before they get to clash with the Americans. It should be interesting.

Extra Stout
08-28-2006, 02:54 PM
Louis is one of those rare posters that always makes such eloquent points. So much so, that people should get passionate about everything that he says, and not just ignore him completely. Louis is a flawless logician!
Assuming he lives in Houston, we should be kind. The daily realization upon waking, that one is still in the godforsaken blight upon the landscape, complete with the interminably oppressive climate that drove the original natives to cannibalism, that is Houston, can dull even the sharpest mind.

Did I too not live in Houston, I would long since have conquered all.

gus
08-28-2006, 02:56 PM
We don't know how Team USA will finish...but

The same Boeheim of the classic 2-3 Matchup Zone who was brought in by Coach Pop two summers ago to try to teach it to his team. Coach K and Coach Boeheim don't take a back seat to George Karl, Larry Brown, or Phil Jackson and Pat Riley for that matter.

I agree in all your post, but I think that U.S. did nothing extraordinary against zone but playing a little bit up tempo. With this scheme you do not have to be a 3 pts. shooter or run complicated screens and passes. I credit more D'Antoni who REALLY KNOWS the FIBA basketball.

Gus

Solid D
08-28-2006, 03:09 PM
I agree in all your post, but I think that U.S. did nothing extraordinary against zone but playing a little bit up tempo. With this scheme you do not have to be a 3 pts. shooter or run complicated screens and passes. I credit more D'Antoni who REALLY KNOWS the FIBA basketball.

Gus

As far as the Team USA playing style goes, I have noticed more effort at all times, regardless of the score.

On defense, USA is pressuring and doubling the ball in the half court much more than I can remember in past years. They are also doing a nice job of sagging and dropping their weakside down when the opposition tries to cut and penetrate.

On offense, Team USA is also doing something slightly different in their side screen-rolls. They run the 2-man game but they are sending a big from the FT line as a cutter down the middle as a third attack option off that...exactly the way Phoenix does (Amare, Diaw, or Marion). That tweak seems to work well against man or zone D. That may be a D'Antoni influence also.

my2sons
08-28-2006, 03:50 PM
team usa is still running alot of isolation and it will be interesting to see how they do in the medal rounds. I still believe team usa is the best team out there, I am not so sure i believed that under larry and pop. we'll see, argentina and spain are still very dangerous teams with a lot of experience. If we fall to the bronze game again which can still happen what will be said then.

mavs>spurs2
08-28-2006, 03:55 PM
2 words, Larry Brown

and u're talking too soon. WC is not over yet.

Yea, Larry Brown sucks. :rolleyes

tlongII
08-28-2006, 04:40 PM
IMO, people are giving too much credit to the coaching in this thread. I don't think the X's and O's matter that much at this level. What does matter is the attitude of the players on the team...at least the members of the USA Team anyway. We've got 2 guys, LeBron and CP3, who are looking to pass first even though they are tremendous scorers in their own right. When your best player (LeBron) is looking to pass first it can't help but infect the team with a "team first" attitude. Coach K is doing a good job, but without LeBron and CP3 promoting the "team first" attitude it wouldn't matter.

When you have the best talent in the world and the team is playing unselfishly you cannot be beat.

Sway
08-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Re: Why is Team USA with coach K better than those of Gregg Popovich?

Re: Why is Team USA with coach K better than those of Larry Brown?

Here I corrected it for you...

ggoose25
08-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Here I corrected it for you...

good call. it doesnt seem fair to blame an assistant coach like pop for a team losing. i read an article this weekend saying that each asst under K is responsible for something (D'Antoni, offense; Bonheim, zond d; etc...). they just work on developing ideas for a specific piece of the game plan. its up to K to decide whether to use it or not. he is ultimately the guy who is responsible for the strategery.

as close as larry brown and pop are, it was brown's team and he probably made the calls that sealed our fate in '04

Solid D
08-28-2006, 05:24 PM
The coaches don't play. Very early, the head coach sets the philosophy, system and approach. The players have to buy into it and put forth the effort. So far, the effort is very good.

nkdlunch
08-28-2006, 05:32 PM
Also let's stress the fact that out of Greece, Argentina, Spain and USA. USA has the easiest road to the finals.

Phenomanul
08-28-2006, 06:14 PM
IMO, people are giving too much credit to the coaching in this thread. I don't think the X's and O's matter that much at this level. What does matter is the attitude of the players on the team...at least the members of the USA Team anyway. We've got 2 guys, LeBron and CP3, who are looking to pass first even though they are tremendous scorers in their own right. When your best player (LeBron) is looking to pass first it can't help but infect the team with a "team first" attitude. Coach K is doing a good job, but without LeBron and CP3 promoting the "team first" attitude it wouldn't matter.

When you have the best talent in the world and the team is playing unselfishly you cannot be beat.

I agree with this take....

This year, the players want it more.
This year the roles are better fit to the squad.

Spurologist
08-28-2006, 06:18 PM
The coaches don't play. Very early, the head coach sets the philosophy, system and approach. The players have to buy into it and put forth the effort. So far, the effort is very good.

also the fact that they got their asses romped last time makes them more determined. They simply don't want to become the laughing stocks of the world.

Before one of USA's exhibition games, Magic Johnson even spoke to the team about how they need to get their domianance back because they are being ridiculed.

Coach this or coach that, reputation is a huge part of the US's success at the World Championship. They will win gold.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-28-2006, 06:35 PM
Louis it's just easier to call you stupid.

ShoogarBear
08-28-2006, 06:40 PM
Count . . . chickens . . . hatch.

Obstructed_View
08-28-2006, 09:52 PM
So Chuck Daly is the greatest coach of all time. He won a gold medal and never even called a time out.

angel_luv
08-28-2006, 10:08 PM
And they also have Nesterovic :lol

Which seals the deal. Toronto Rocks! :D

SequSpur
08-28-2006, 11:22 PM
Pop sucks.

Russ
08-29-2006, 12:49 AM
International ball is more like college ball than NBA ball. The 3 point line is closer, zone defense is allowed, play is more deliberate -- it's more of a coaches game than a players game like the NBA.

Therefore, a college coach is better than an NBA coach for international ball. Simple as that.

mathbzh
08-29-2006, 02:31 AM
I wait to see if USA team chemistry survive to a defensive close game.
Greeks should be a good test.
IMO US team show more respect to international players. That may explain why they are doing better now.

LEONARD
08-29-2006, 09:32 AM
Go Bowen Go!!!
Go Bowen Go!!!
Go Bowen Go!!!
Go Bowen Go!!!
Go Bowen Go!!!
Go Bowen Go!!!
Go Bowen Go!!!
Go Bowen Go!!!
Go Bowen Go!!!

:fro

George Gervin's Afro
08-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Go Bowen Go!!!
Go Bowen Go!!!
Go Bowen Go!!!
Go Bowen Go!!!
Go Bowen Go!!!
Go Bowen Go!!!
Go Bowen Go!!!
Go Bowen Go!!!
Go Bowen Go!!!

Mavs championship parade!!!
:lol :depressed :lol :lol

Louis
08-29-2006, 01:28 PM
Go Bowen Go!!!
Go Bowen Go!!!
Go Bowen Go!!!
Go Bowen Go!!!
Go Bowen Go!!!
Go Bowen Go!!!
Go Bowen Go!!!
Go Bowen Go!!!
Go Bowen Go!!!

:lol :lol :lol

Extra Stout
09-01-2006, 10:37 AM
Bump. :depressed

Obstructed_View
09-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Why does the forum page show dancing elephant boy posting in here but the posts don't show up?

Obstructed_View
09-01-2006, 10:51 AM
See, it happened again. Is he secretly banned and he doesnt' know it?

samikeyp
09-01-2006, 11:12 AM
Why is it that when Louis talks shit, then is wrong....he disappears like a little bitch? :lol

Obstructed_View
09-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Why is it that when Louis talks shit, then is wrong....he disappears like a little bitch? :lol
Prediction that goes completely wrong and backfires in his face? Yep, it's usenet Louis, all right.

ShoogarBear
09-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Count . . . chickens . . . hatch.

Bruno
09-01-2006, 11:17 AM

The goal of a troll is not to be right or wrong but to draw attention : 55 replies is a quite good score.

ShoogarBear
09-01-2006, 11:21 AM
I said at the beginning, no matter what happens not one word by the national sheep media will dare to criticize Saint K.

Obstructed_View
09-01-2006, 11:24 AM
I said at the beginning, no matter what happens not one word by the national sheep media will dare to criticize Saint K.
Yeah, I'm waiting for the same USA hatefest from Americans that we saw after the olympics.

Extra Stout
09-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Yeah, I'm waiting for the same USA hatefest from Americans that we saw after the olympics.
Perhaps understanding of the enduring consistency of our suckitude is seeping in.

ShoogarBear
09-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Perhaps understanding of the enduring consistency of our suckitude is seeping in.I bet if it was an NBA coach the howls would be deafening.

The party line is: everything about the NBA sucks, everything about college is cool. They just need to find a way to spin it in those terms.

bdictjames
09-01-2006, 12:04 PM
I hope we continue with a real dream team... not those underage brats Melo, James, and Wade leading the way. We need some realtime ballers like Duncan, KG, and Kobe.

Extra Stout
09-01-2006, 12:15 PM
I hope we continue with a real dream team... not those underage brats Melo, James, and Wade leading the way. We need some realtime ballers like Duncan, KG, and Kobe.
ShoogarBear, I see the same old excuses coming out.

'We're just not sending the right players. We would win easily if we sent [insert player names here.]"

Soon I predict they will turn on Coach K.

Phenomanul
09-01-2006, 12:25 PM
Somewhere out there.... Bowen is grinning.

austinfan
09-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Is there a chance the coaches could call Bowen back? Is he still in the pool of players available to Team USA? Until the coaching staff really gets the concept of building a team for international competition--not just throwing a bunch of stars together with a token role player or two--we're going to continue to struggle in 2008.

Louis
09-01-2006, 01:07 PM
This Team despite losing was way better than those in which Popovich was an assistant

ChumpDumper
09-01-2006, 01:51 PM
This Team despite losing was way better than those in which Popovich was an assistant:lmao You pretty much guaranteed they won't medal now, dumbass.

cheguevara
09-01-2006, 04:29 PM
I know you will say Popovich was an assistant but so what??

He was part of those horrible "defensive minded" teams that only embarrassed this great nation.

Even without a dominant Center, Team USA is beating the crap out of the world.

:lol

leemajors
09-01-2006, 04:36 PM
Somewhere out there.... Bowen is grinning.

nah. he's a bigger person than that.

Obstructed_View
09-01-2006, 05:41 PM
This Team despite losing was way better than those in which Popovich was an assistant
Translation:

Well my predictions are terrible, but I'm still a dick.

Cherry
09-01-2006, 06:38 PM
Is there a chance the coaches could call Bowen back? Is he still in the pool of players available to Team USA?

Too late :depressed

Until the coaching staff really gets the concept of building a team for international competition--not just throwing a bunch of stars together with a token role player or two--we're going to continue to struggle in 2008.

Team Argentina worked 52 years to get it. USA will have more luck in 2008, but they have to learn (some day) that selfish play is like poison in FIBA.

Go Spain (if you beat us, you can beat they!!!) :princess