PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Nelson to return to Warriors as coach

Solid D
08-29-2006, 11:08 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2565022

http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/wiretap/photos/2006/Nelson_Don_dal_051031.jpg

Updated: Aug. 29, 2006, 11:54 AM ET
Sources: Nelson to return to Warriors as coach
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Don Nelson will be named as the new coach of the Golden State Warriors this week after the Warriors agreed to terms on a buyout with Mike Montgomery.

Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that things are "all lined up" for Nelson, 66, to return to the Warriors, who haven't been to the playoffs since 1994 when Nelson was still their coach.

Montgomery had two seasons left on his contract worth an estimated $5 million.

Senior writer Marc Stein covers the NBA for ESPN.com.

greywheel
08-29-2006, 11:18 AM
I just wonder what this means for Donnie Nelson and his position with the Mavs.

boutons_
08-29-2006, 11:25 AM
"buyout with Mike Montgomery."

"Some" were questioning Mike's ability to adjust to/be effective in NBA after so long at Stanford U. but at least he got his multi $M payout.

CubanMustGo
08-29-2006, 11:33 AM
You have got to be fucking kidding me. Coach Gimmick is back in the league ???

mavs>spurs2
08-29-2006, 02:27 PM
I always wondered if Nelson was really ready to retire, or if it had something to do with his relationship with Cuban. I guess this explains it all.

ChumpDumper
08-29-2006, 02:30 PM
Damn, Chris Mullin knows how to waste money.

mavs>spurs2
08-29-2006, 02:36 PM
Damn, Chris Mullin knows how to waste money.

Nelson isn't a bad coach, he should do better than Montgomery. Baron Davis and Jason Richardson should fit into Nelson's run and gun style of play. I think they might actually make the playoffs this season.

ChumpDumper
08-29-2006, 02:38 PM
Baron will start the season fat and end it on the IR.

mavs>spurs2
08-29-2006, 02:40 PM
Well I still think that he's good enough to help them get the 7th or 8th seed. Assuming he stays healthy of course. They were on pace to make it last year untill injuries really hurt them.

Condemned 2 HelLA
08-29-2006, 03:06 PM
I always wondered if Nelson was really ready to retire, or if it had something to do with his relationship with Cuban. I guess this explains it all.

I always thought that Bozo the Nellie had some health issues like Rudy T. had which caused him to step aside from the Rockets job?

ponky
08-29-2006, 03:23 PM

I guess if you like simple pull-them-out-of-your-arse explanations. I don't totally discount your assumption but your statement as a complete explanation is ridiculous. Nelson probably won't coach for more than 2 years before retiring again, he's probably feeling very healthy right now, at least he looks that way ever since he resigned with the Mavs. Nothing against Nelson but he'll probably look and feel as weary as he was when he resigned from the Mavs and think about retiring again in about a year or two...it's not like this type of comeback for one last hurrah doesn't happen all the time with athletes/coaches who *retire* (rudy t, phil j, riles).

ShoogarBear
08-29-2006, 03:33 PM
In a related story, Shawn Bradley is unretiring! :elephant :elephant

Solid D
08-29-2006, 03:42 PM

Bwhahahaha!!! :lmao

mavs>spurs2
08-29-2006, 03:49 PM
I guess if you like simple pull-them-out-of-your-arse explanations. I don't totally discount your assumption but your statement as a complete explanation is ridiculous. Nelson probably won't coach for more than 2 years before retiring again, he's probably feeling very healthy right now, at least he looks that way ever since he resigned with the Mavs. Nothing against Nelson but he'll probably look and feel as weary as he was when he resigned from the Mavs and think about retiring again in about a year or two...it's not like this type of comeback for one last hurrah doesn't happen all the time with athletes/coaches who *retire* (rudy t, phil j, riles).

Say what you want, Cuban played a big part in Nelson "retiring." Why else would he be back so soon.

mavs>spurs2
08-29-2006, 03:50 PM
I always thought that Bozo the Nellie had some health issues like Rudy T. had which caused him to step aside from the Rockets job?

It wasn't just the health issues. That was just the perfect excuse for him to leave. He was on his way out regardless.

samikeyp
08-29-2006, 05:38 PM
Wonder how soon it will be until Nellie looks down the bench and utters..."wait a minute, what the hell....no Dirk?" :)

If he can get the Warriors in to the post-season...he deserves COY.

RogerIsEatingASandwich
08-29-2006, 07:17 PM
And now The Warriors are officially the worst defensive team in the NBA

Bob Lanier
08-29-2006, 08:31 PM
A Warriors-Pistons game in the 150s sounds plausible.

dirk4mvp
08-29-2006, 08:44 PM

Good shit! The average poster dunks-per-game has just risen by 4!

Obstructed_View
08-29-2006, 11:24 PM
So does that mean Mickael Pietrus is on the trading block?

mffl89
08-30-2006, 01:09 AM

Nellie said that he lost his desire to coach when Nash signed with the Suns. You could even see it in games where he just wasn't the old Nellie anymore. I guess he believes that he can do something with Baron Davis and Richardson.

J.T.
08-30-2006, 01:33 AM
Hopefully the "Teacher vs Student" coaching drama shifts from Pop/Avery to Nellie/Avery, cuz that shit is just a weak excuse by media to hype up Spurs vs Mavs.

baseline bum
08-30-2006, 01:56 AM
Looks like Chris Mullin need a drinking buddy.