View Full Version : Jumaine Jones expected to sign with Phoenix

Kori Ellis
08-30-2006, 04:44 AM
Jones expected to sign

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 30, 2006 12:00 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0830suns0830.html

If you figured the Suns were just going about the business of filling out the bench in August, think again.

Veteran swingman Jumaine Jones, an unrestricted free agent, is expected to arrive in Phoenix today and have a guaranteed one-year contract with the Suns completed by Thursday.

Jones would be no seat filler. He'd be much more than the Suns roster's 13th player. He is coming off a career season with Charlotte, his fifth team in seven NBA seasons since leaving Georgia after his sophomore season. Jones, 27, had a career-high 42 starts last season for a 26-win Bobcats team, averaging 10.5 points (also a career best) and 4.9 rebounds in 27.5 minutes per game. advertisement

The Suns had Jones on their radar since the free-agent-contact window opened July 1.

Now, with Jones unexpectedly still available, Phoenix can have him for a price that keeps the team under the luxury-tax threshold.

Jones is a wing player who, at 6 feet 8 and 218 pounds, also likely would fit in also as a power forward in the Suns system.

He is a slasher and career 35 percent three-point shooter who plays the transition game well.

Also important for Phoenix, he adds another quality defender in addition to last month's prominent free-agent signing - backup point guard Marcus Banks.

The Suns likely will not sign any more players to guaranteed deals this summer. Phoenix leaves for training camp in Italy on Sept. 29.

Streakyshooter08
08-30-2006, 04:48 AM
:pctoss

Bruno
08-30-2006, 04:54 AM
:depressed I really wanted him as a Spur :depressed

BTW, bad choice for him : he won't get any playtime with Suns.
Suns get him at a bagain price but it's not at all what they need.

ChumpDumper
08-30-2006, 05:02 AM
Well, the Suns get their backup center....

The_Game
08-30-2006, 05:19 AM
:depressed I really wanted him as a Spur :depressed

BTW, bad choice for him : he won't get any playtime with Suns.
Suns get him at a bagain price but it's not at all what they need.

Jones is a very good defender, who can also play PF..so he is EXACTLY what they need. He also adds to their depth. He's a good shooter and who can score as well which helps

Bruno
08-30-2006, 05:41 AM
Jones is a very good defender, who can also play PF..so he is EXACTLY what they need. He also adds to their depth. He's a good shooter and who can score as well which helps

Never heard of James Jones, Shawn Marion and Boris Diaw ?

Suns need a shotblocker and a good post defender to play against players like Duncan. They only have Kurt Thomas who is undersized and 34 years old and Pat Burke who is a scrub to match up against post players. Jumaine Jones is a good player, he won't hurt Suns and he is a cheap but he won't really help them.

I have the feeling that he has signed with Suns because he hopes that he will get great stats with them and a big contract next year with another team but the truth is that he won't get PT if everybody is healthy.

The_Game
08-30-2006, 05:52 AM
Never heard of James Jones, Shawn Marion and Boris Diaw ?

Suns need a shotblocker and a good post defender to play against players like Duncan. They only have Kurt Thomas who is undersized and 34 years old and Pat Burke who is a scrub to match up against post players. Jumaine Jones is a good player, he won't hurt Suns and he is a cheap but he won't really help them.

I have the feeling that he has signed with Suns because he hopes that he will get great stats with them and a big contract next year with another team but the truth is that he won't get PT if everybody is healthy.

Ever heard of DEPTH? there are no post defenders or shot blocks available...kurt thomas is more than good enough post defender and amare has proved he can block shots....jones will be a good addition off their bench. you always need fresh bodies and jones adds to phoenix's good bench now..... anyone who can score, shoot and defend will always help any team

NBA Junkie
08-30-2006, 06:16 AM
He's Tim Thomas' replacement.

Did anyone really expect that role to go to Eric Piatkowski?

Bruno
08-30-2006, 06:24 AM
Ever heard of DEPTH?

You know you can't play BB with 6 or 7 players at the same time, Jumaine jones won't get any playtime (just do the minute breakdown and you will see that).
Depth is huge when it brings versatility and not redundancy, Jumaine Jones brings nothing more than what James Jones brings.
Jumaine Jones isn't a bad signing because he is cheap but he won't help Suns.

kurt thomas is more than good enough post defender and amare has proved he can block shots.

kurt Thomas is old and undersized, Stoudamire is a poor defender. Suns really lacks of a player like Steven Hunter.

anyone who can score, shoot and defend will always help any team

Cough... Earl Watson with Denver ... Cough

NBA Junkie
08-30-2006, 06:35 AM
Jumaine Jones isn't a bad signing because he is cheap but he won't help Suns.

I'm not so sure about that. I don't think anyone expected much out of Tim Thomas, but he more than lived up to expectations. Jones and TT are similiar players.

Jones could be even more of a factor if Amare or Kurt Thomas go down with injuries again.

Bruno
08-30-2006, 06:55 AM
Jones and TT are similiar players.

Kinda disagree, TT is way more talented than Jumaine Jones. Even if he has been an underachiver, he is a great talent and that's why he get one day a max contract. On the other hand Jumaine Jones is strictly a role player.

BTW, TT hasn't played way better with Suns than what he has done before.

NBA Junkie
08-30-2006, 07:01 AM
Yeah, Thomas is the much better player.

However, the role that Jones will play in Phoenix will be much like the one that Thomas played. Both aren't good defenders, but Jones is the better rebounder, but isn't as effective in terms of low post scoring.

Bruno
08-30-2006, 07:11 AM
^^ we will see but I really don't think he will get playtime.
Last year Stoudamire and Kurt Thomas were injured, James Jones wasn't at 100% after his injury and with Banks, Raja Bell will spend more time at SF this year.

TDMVPDPOY
08-30-2006, 08:41 AM
wtf has pop and rc been doin?

JMarkJohns
08-30-2006, 07:00 PM
I agree with Bruno. Save for injury or trade of Amare, Thomas, Marion, Diaw and Jones, I don't see Jumaine making a big impact. He's depth and cheap depth with nice, but still inconsistant shot. While he's a slightly better defender than what Phoenix is used to, he's not great and his rebounding is as hit or miss as his mid-range jumper.

Had him on my fantasy league last year for three weeks and was annoyed as hell with him and that was with consistant minutes, something I don't see much of this year, save for injury or trade as mentioned above...

Xylus
08-31-2006, 12:32 AM
Jumaine Jones is yet another solid addition to an already deep rotation. He's a great rebounder for his size, he's a decent defender, and likes to shoot from long range--all things that the Suns need. He may not get many minutes when everyone's healthy...but the Suns are likely going to have a couple of injuries throughout the season. Jumaine will fill in at the PF or SF position nicely when we need him to.

I can't wait to see how well he shoots with Nash running the point (or even Banks for that matter). Assuming we don't run into the injury bug next postseason, we'll have lost Tim Thomas, but gained Amare, Kurt Thomas, Marcus Banks, and Jumaine Jones. :)

Starters:
Steve Nash
Raja Bell
Matrix
Amare Stoudemire
Boris Diaw

Bench:
Marcus Banks
Leandro Barbosa
James Jones
Jumaine Jones
Kurt Thomas

Barring any serious Nash injury, 2006-2007 should be a sweet season for the Phoenix Suns. Now let's extend Boris Diaw's contract! :madrun

TDMVPDPOY
08-31-2006, 01:05 PM
so this guy basically turn down bigger offers from other teams, just to play with the suns on a minimum contract.....does he really think his tim thomas? goin to get a payrise after one season with the suns

if he does post up good numbers, the suns are goin to benifit from this shit, probaly trade him for draft picks when his contract is up....damn suns small ball system inflating stats

da_suns_fan__
08-31-2006, 01:27 PM
so this guy basically turn down bigger offers from other teams, just to play with the suns on a minimum contract.....does he really think his tim thomas?

- You mean the guy who was cut by the Chicago Bulls?