PDA

View Full Version : Oswalt signs extension

leemajors
08-30-2006, 09:18 AM
5 years, 73 mill. thank goodness! :smokin

Spurminator
08-30-2006, 09:48 AM
I have to wonder if the intent all along was for him to be an Astro long term... Even if they traded him to Baltimore for Tejada for the 2nd half of this season.

Big Pimp_21
08-30-2006, 10:47 AM
I think Roy had the leverage to get a 5 year deal, which was against team policy for a pitcher, after the rumor of his trade availability was leaked. I'm just glad they broke team policy to lock up a good young pitcher to build the team around.

MajorMike
08-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Great. More money to sit at home in the fall.

leemajors
08-30-2006, 04:25 PM
Great. More money to sit at home in the fall.

still bitter?

Spurologist
08-30-2006, 07:18 PM
got angry that he was in trade talks and now he gets his money.

Ace is locked up

MajorMike
08-31-2006, 09:50 AM
still bitter?

I'm extremely bitter that we are going to the playoffs and the strobes aren't. I'm also extremely bitter that we ruined their closer's confidence and game.

leemajors
08-31-2006, 10:22 AM
I'm extremely bitter that we are going to the playoffs and the strobes aren't. I'm also extremely bitter that we ruined their closer's confidence and game.

bitter about losing to the stros last year, and bitter because you know the card aren't sniffing the series.

MajorMike
08-31-2006, 10:24 AM
I am quite secure in the fact I can still say, "Houston has STILL never won a World Series game."

So, how's Lidge working out for you?

leemajors
08-31-2006, 11:06 AM
I am quite secure in the fact I can still say, "Houston has STILL never won a World Series game."

So, how's Lidge working out for you?

isringhausen has blown more saves than lidge this year.

MajorMike
08-31-2006, 12:25 PM
Because the Cards have been in front more games than the strobes.

leemajors
08-31-2006, 12:36 PM
lidge 27 saves, 32 opps.
isringhausen 31 saves, 40 opps

not a huge difference, neither team has a great closer this year. if the best you can come up with is well, the stros have never won a world series game then it's kinda pointless to continue this thread.

MajorMike
08-31-2006, 12:59 PM
Ok, how bout 3.42 ERA for Izzy to over-the-Lidge's 5.19. Izzy's 23 runs allowed to Lidge's 37. Then their's the fact that the owner told the gm to trade him, along with the fact the one team interested - the Rangers, turned it down. Not to be overlooked is the fact the strobes have been so frustrated with him that Wheeler has gotten almost as many save chances in the past month.

leemajors
08-31-2006, 01:24 PM
Ok, how bout 3.42 ERA for Izzy to over-the-Lidge's 5.19. Izzy's 23 runs allowed to Lidge's 37. Then their's the fact that the owner told the gm to trade him, along with the fact the one team interested - the Rangers, turned it down. Not to be overlooked is the fact the strobes have been so frustrated with him that Wheeler has gotten almost as many save chances in the past month.

he's still blown 9 saves. he's having a bad year, just like lidge is. just not giving up as many runs. is there really a difference between giving up 5 runs and blowing a save or giving up just 1-2 and blowing a save? no, the save is still blown. thanks for derailing the topic though!

MajorMike
08-31-2006, 08:23 PM
You are correct on one thing - Izzy is having a bad year. Lidge is simplly screwed since Big Al got to him. Nice smoke screen try, tho.

leemajors
08-31-2006, 08:48 PM
no smoke screen needed or intended. lidge has pitched more innings and had more appearances, given up more runs and blown less saves. i just have no idea why you feel the need to make a wack, condescending comment every time someone talks about the astros like the cards are some vastly superior team when they are not. wow, the card won a world series ring 20 years go! they happen to hit better, and have an terrible pitching staff outside of carpenter and isringhausen.

leemajors
08-31-2006, 10:48 PM
sorry forgot looper, dude is having a great season.

johngateswhiteley
09-01-2006, 02:05 AM
beautiful! Oswalt is the man.

cap'n crunch-
...shut up about the Stro's, we are going to beat you AGAIN in the playoffs this year.

MajorMike
09-01-2006, 08:37 AM
no smoke screen needed or intended. lidge has pitched more innings and had more appearances, given up more runs and blown less saves. i.

COMPLETE misnomer there. Lidge has had more appearences because their pen is so horrid he doesn't just come in for save opps. He has more innings and less save opps. Skip has to have someone to go in when the team is down by 8 late and they have used their entire pen to include tomorrow's starter.

wow, the card won a world series ring 20 years go! they happen to hit better, and have an terrible pitching staff outside of carpenter and isringhausen.

Wait a minute, I thought Izzy was a loser! By the way, that one ring in the past 20 years is still one more than the strobes have. The Cards have lost more series since '85 (3) than the strobes will ever win.

Great, so you made it to a WS. Now you can join the ranks of the Padres, Brewers, SF Giants, Cleveland all as teams that have gone the last 20 some years and come home empty. Yea nobody cares about those teams either and all but Brewers went more than once. So basically Houston's history is as good as the Brewers. Good on ya. They had to change leagues even. As a fan, I just hate the strobes, I don't need to be bitter. Bitter is a blown call that cost us the '85 WS. Bitter is completely tanking against Atlanta in '96. Losing last year is just like losing in '02 to the Giants - we were a better team that got beat by a team that made the plays when they needed to while we didn't.

See... I have a history to fall back on; you have the past 2 years as motivation. Have fun sitting at home while I'm 'bitter' about last year.

leemajors
09-01-2006, 08:48 AM
COMPLETE misnomer there. Lidge has had more appearences because their pen is so horrid he doesn't just come in for save opps. He has more innings and less save opps. Skip has to have someone to go in when the team is down by 8 late and they have used their entire pen to include tomorrow's starter.

Wait a minute, I thought Izzy was a loser! By the way, that one ring in the past 20 years is still one more than the strobes have. The Cards have lost more series since '85 (3) than the strobes will ever win.

Great, so you made it to a WS. Now you can join the ranks of the Padres, Brewers, SF Giants, Cleveland all as teams that have gone the last 20 some years and come home empty. Yea nobody cares about those teams either and all but Brewers went more than once. So basically Houston's history is as good as the Brewers. Good on ya. They had to change leagues even. As a fan, I just hate the strobes, I don't need to be bitter. Bitter is a blown call that cost us the '85 WS. Bitter is completely tanking against Atlanta in '96. Losing last year is just like losing in '02 to the Giants - we were a better team that got beat by a team that made the plays when they needed to while we didn't.

See... I have a history to fall back on; you have the past 2 years as motivation. Have fun sitting at home while I'm 'bitter' about last year.

st. louis' bullpen is worse than houston's, i don't get your point. qualls and lidge have the most appearances in the league. i was also under the impression that the better team always won a seven game series. st. louis didn't have the pitching to get the job done, and they still don't. no NL fan save a mets fan has anything to be proud about this regular season. i never said isringhausen was a loser, and i have never said lidge was having anything remotely resembling a good season - just pointing out the card closer hasn't been so hot himself this year.

MajorMike
09-01-2006, 09:41 PM
st. louis' bullpen is worse than houston's, i don't get your point. qualls and lidge have the most appearances in the league. i was also under the impression that the better team always won a seven game series. st. louis didn't have the pitching to get the job done, and they still don't. no NL fan save a mets fan has anything to be proud about this regular season. i never said isringhausen was a loser, and i have never said lidge was having anything remotely resembling a good season - just pointing out the card closer hasn't been so hot himself this year.

Cards had a winning records vs atros last year, even after the NLCS.
Steve Kline for the Cards had 3 years in a row with most appearances in the league... and I doubt you would ever say he was all that great. strobes bullpen is not better than Cards. If so prove it.