PDA

View Full Version : Another swingman off the market

SenorSpur
08-30-2006, 04:59 PM
Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 30, 2006 12:00 AM

If you figured the Suns were just going about the business of filling out the bench in August, think again.

Veteran swingman Jumaine Jones, an unrestricted free agent, is expected to arrive in Phoenix today and have a guaranteed one-year contract with the Suns completed by Thursday.

Jones would be no seat filler. He'd be much more than the Suns roster's 13th player. He is coming off a career season with Charlotte, his fifth team in seven NBA seasons since leaving Georgia after his sophomore season. Jones, 27, had a career-high 42 starts last season for a 26-win Bobcats team, averaging 10.5 points (also a career best) and 4.9 rebounds in 27.5 minutes per game.

The Suns had Jones on their radar since the free-agent-contact window opened July 1.

Now, with Jones unexpectedly still available, Phoenix can have him for a price that keeps the team under the luxury-tax threshold.

Jones is a wing player who, at 6 feet 8 and 218 pounds, also likely would fit in also as a power forward in the Suns system.

He is a slasher and career 35 percent three-point shooter who plays the transition game well.

Also important for Phoenix, he adds another quality defender in addition to last month's prominent free-agent signing - backup point guard Marcus Banks.

The Suns likely will not sign any more players to guaranteed deals this summer. Phoenix leaves for training camp in Italy on Sept. 29.

Buddy Holly
08-30-2006, 05:01 PM
We're doomed.

ChumpDumper
08-30-2006, 05:13 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49045

Solid D
08-30-2006, 05:27 PM
Replacement killer after the Tim Thomas exodus.

timvp
08-30-2006, 05:33 PM
This guy made a lot of sense for the Spurs. A guy who can rebound, shoot, defend and has playoff experience.

ChumpDumper
08-30-2006, 05:38 PM
Yeah, I'd be disappointed if we didn't even call him.

Solid D
08-30-2006, 05:50 PM
This guy made a lot of sense for the Spurs. A guy who can rebound, shoot, defend and has playoff experience.

Bout time you come up in here again.

Sway
08-30-2006, 06:03 PM

Yeah and he didnt cost too much. I was holding out hope that the Spurs would sign this guy. Oh well...

Bruno
08-30-2006, 06:07 PM
I find the situation very frustrating, no news at all for one month and there are so much questions without an answer :
- Are Spurs done for the offseason ?
- Are Spurs after SF FA or are they trying to get one with a trade ?
- Eric Williams ? No news of him at all but if he can play like he did 2 years ago with NJ, he can be the answer at SF for us.
- Brent Barry ? Are Spurs still trying to trade him and if they are, why is he still a Spur ? Nobody wants him and his contract or do Spurs haven't find a deal they like for him ?

I know that a FO work in secret but usually we have some news like we have known that Spurs were after Pryz, Mourning.. and that they wanted to trade Rasho but nobody wanted his contract.

ChumpDumper
08-30-2006, 06:10 PM
I'm sure we'll still try to trade Barry but we'll likely roll with what we've got until Februrary.

Bruno
08-30-2006, 06:16 PM
BTW, an extract from today's Buck harvey's article answer to some questions :
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA083106.buckharveymailbag.en.4f2ffbaf.html

As you said, Luis Scola is a great offensive player, and he can offer fire and energy off bench. But it seems the Spurs' front office doesn't like him. I heard that he and his agent have a bad relationship with the Spurs' front office. Did you hear anything about that? Does this mean he won't join the Spurs, although his contract with Tau will expire next summer?
— Marc, Shanghai, China

The Spurs like Scola, and they wouldn't let a relationship with an agent get in the way. The buy-out clause in his European contract stopped Scola from coming over last summer. Now, the Spurs wonder how Scola would fit on the roster.

My guess: The Spurs will eventually trade his rights.

Any more info on the possibility of Bonzi Wells becoming a Spur?
— Alfonso Beza, San Antonio

There wasn't much info to start with. The Spurs say they haven't talked to the Kings this summer.

They saw both Bonzi and his price as crazy. Besides that, the Spurs have no cap room to sign him now unless 1) Bonzi took the league minimum or, 2) the Kings would agree to a sign and trade (Brent Barry is about the only piece the Spurs would give in return, and Sacramento would likely want more).

This much is true: The Spurs need a Bonzi kind of player, someone who can play small but rebound with the big guys.

What year will the Spurs have significant cap room? And what free agents are going to be available?
— Frank, New York

The Spurs, as of now, will be paying only their big three by the summer of 2009 and little else. The free-agent lists will change dramatically before then. But even if someone valuable is out there — such as Dwight Howard — Ginobili, Parker and Tim Duncan will take up about $40 million of the cap room. It would be difficult, if not impossible, to add another huge contract.

Is it true the Spurs told Eric Williams not to show up to be introduced here? Doesn't sound too smart to me, or very nice either.
— Tom, Universal City

It's not true. Williams came to San Antonio after Matt Bonner did, and then Williams had his physical and met everyone.

The Spurs aren't sure what he has left, but they haven't given up on him. In a perfect-world scenario, they would like to put him on Dirk Nowitzki for stretches of games. Williams, not long ago, ranked among the league's better defenders.

Do you think the Spurs will make any additional moves to improve the roster? They still have not addressed the need for a young, athletic, wing player to groom behind Bruce Bowen.
— Jeff, Fircrest, Wa.

They are finished unless the phone rings and an unexpected offer is on the other end. They will bring in a few camp guys, but the most they could offer anyone now is the minimum salary.

Still, that shouldn't stop the Spurs from finding the next Bowen: He once played for the minimum.

Bruno
08-30-2006, 06:17 PM
It looks like Spurs are in wait and see mode.

Spurologist
08-30-2006, 07:06 PM
Jumaine Jones is a black man's Keith Van Horn

Budkin
08-30-2006, 09:01 PM
That sucks, I thought the Spurs would make a run at him. He would have fit in really well here. Oh well.

shaggy17
08-30-2006, 09:04 PM
No worries. Eric Williams will do at the backup slot. As long as Pop just doesnt do small ball again I am content with this teams chances.

dirk4mvp
08-30-2006, 09:06 PM
Jumaine Jones is a black man's Keith Van Horn

Nah, nothing is as horrible as KHV.

Rick Von Braun
08-30-2006, 10:00 PM

I have wanted this guy since forever. Considering his price and the players available in the market, I thought he was the perfect fit... I was absolutely convinced that the Spurs would not get him though. :depressed

SequSpur
08-30-2006, 10:11 PM
Unless your Duncan, Parker or Ginobili, Pop will ruin your career.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-30-2006, 11:06 PM
Now this is frustrating - a guy we could have had for a nothing 1-yr contract, and instead he goes to one of our chief rivals. The FO farked this one up.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-31-2006, 08:21 PM
Pop, Sam, RC, someone from the Spurs, please explain why we did not sign Jumaine Jones?

He's 27, can shoot the 3 and defend a bit, and he's athletic... what did we need? :depressed

ChumpDumper
08-31-2006, 08:38 PM
Because his new agent basically works for the Suns.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-31-2006, 09:53 PM
Thinking about it, the Suns makes sense for him - up tempo offence will suit his game and boost his stats so that he can sign a big contract next year. I bet that's what they're thinking.

Still annoys me though.

Buddy Holly
08-31-2006, 10:46 PM
Unless your Duncan, Parker or Ginobili, Pop will ruin your career.

Does he also shorten their heights?

SenorSpur
08-31-2006, 11:39 PM
To add further insult to existing injury, the Suns got him "on the cheap". He signed for the league minimum.

Jones Turns Down More Money To Sign With Phoenix
31st August, 2006 - 10:08 am

Arizona Republic - European power Maccabi Tel Aviv would have paid Jumaine Jones significantly more money to join them, as did several other NBA teams, but instead he will sign with the Phoenix Suns for the league minimum, which means $998,967 as a seven-year pro.

With the way Phoenix plays, there are certain players who are natural fits," Merle Scott, his agent said. "He's a shooter. He's a rebounder. He's looking to play for a contender, which was a priority for him. It's a great opportunity. He knows he's coming in to play a supporting role."

Scott expects a role for Jones similar to the one Tim Thomas, now with the Los Angeles Clippers , played at the end of last season.

"With the rotation and style of ball, the track record shows that guys are going to produce and get better," Scott said. "I know how happy Leandro is. I hope Jumaine feels as good about the family atmosphere.

"He's coming in to prove himself. The way they play, that's not too much to ask."