PDA

View Full Version : Arenas Says He Got a Foul Call

sa_butta
08-31-2006, 12:28 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/30/AR2006083003244.html (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/30/AR2006083003244.html)

Wizards Guard Frustrated by Results of USA National Team Tryouts

By Ivan Carter (http://projects.washingtonpost.com/staff/email/ivan+carter/)
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, August 31, 2006; Page E01

Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas is frustrated about not being on the U.S. national team playing in the FIBA World Championship and said he believes he was not given a fair tryout.

When Arenas left the squad on Aug. 14, national team managing director Jerry Colangelo said it was because Arenas had an injured groin. But in his first comments since then, Arenas, the Wizards' leading scorer and a two-time all-star, said he didn't think he was going to make the 12-man roster and that the injury became an excuse to part ways.

"They already knew what they wanted. They said it was a tryout, but they already had their team selected," he said after playing in a Goodman Summer League game at Barry Farms Park in Southeast Washington on Tuesday night and showing no signs of the injury.

Arenas emphasized that he hopes to remain part of the national program and play in the Beijing Olympics in 2008.

In four pre-tournament tune-up games, Arenas made one start and averaged 3.8 points, 2.3 rebounds and 11 minutes. He was fighting for playing time in a crowded back court that includes Chris Paul, Shane Battier, Kirk Hinrich and Joe Johnson. Paul and Hinrich played the majority of minutes at point guard, and the team is loaded with perimeter scorers such as Johnson, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Carmelo Anthony.

"No joke, I felt like I was the 16th man on a 15-man roster," Arenas said. "You are there to support your team and support your country and be happy to play but you know, I did everything they wanted me to do; but if I did everything they wanted me to do, why am I on the bubble of getting cut? I sacrificed. You've got LeBron being LeBron. You've got Carmelo being Carmelo. You've got D-Wade being D-Wade. Why can't I be me? Why do I have to transform? I did that and now you are going to cut me?"

Colangelo could not be reached for comment.

Arenas and San Antonio Spurs guard Bruce Bowen were the two players trimmed from the roster on Aug. 18. Arenas, Bowen and other national team players who are not participating in the world championship, including Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant, are still eligible for future international competitions.

Arenas, who averaged a career-high 29.4 points a game last season , said he tried to blend in by playing off the ball at shooting guard, by carefully picking his spots on offense and by hustling on defense but said he sensed that he was not a part of Coach Mike Krzyzewski's plans, saying, "I think I was the only person he didn't talk to the whole time we were out there."

Krzyzewski, who will lead the national team through the Beijing Olympics, said he faced a difficult choice in reducing the roster from 14 to 12 . Arenas and Bowen wound up being the odd men out while Wizards forward Antawn Jamison and Sacramento Kings center Brad Miller were kept.

"We had two point guards and the four main players on the perimeter for us are Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony, LeBron James and Joe Johnson," Krzyzewski said on Aug. 18. "We just felt that with the playing time they're going to get we needed support in the back line. When we played Brazil and Lithuania we needed depth there."

Arenas said he made up his mind to return home on Aug. 14 after he strained his groin while going up for a dunk attempt during practice. In a conversation with Colangelo that day, Arenas said it became obvious to him that he was going to get trimmed from the roster.

TDMVPDPOY
08-31-2006, 12:35 PM
with or without dilbert, team usa is still going to win what they are targeting, bronze medal so carmelo can go throw it in the river again.

ShoogarBear
08-31-2006, 02:31 PM
I told you Arenas was as selfish as they come.

His performance sucked, but he can't accept that. So instead of taking getting cut like a man he first a) has to have a phony excuse and then b) now has to blame others for the fact that he sucked.

Where are all those people who thought he deserved to be invited?

Bob Lanier
08-31-2006, 02:48 PM
:lol Gilbert Arenas bitching to reporters is as predictable as Lebron James whining to the refs.

Marklar MM
08-31-2006, 02:55 PM
He bitched about not being in the All-Star game, so they put him in. He sucked balls. He has one of the biggest egos in the NBA, and thinks to highly of himself.

ChumpDumper
08-31-2006, 04:03 PM
He wears adidas shoes. He never had a chance anyway.

SirChaz
08-31-2006, 05:17 PM
Gilbert's problem has always been maturity all the way back to college.

With his statements he just demonstrated why he didn't make the team.

Bruno
08-31-2006, 05:40 PM
It seems that they have changed this article since this morning.

The first version contained some interesting quotes like this one :

I’m going to be the silent assassin this year. I can’t wait to play the Suns and Portland. Against Portland, Nate McMillan, I’m going to try to score 100 in two games and against D’Antoni, I’m going to score 100 in two games. I’m going to try.”

BTW, I like this kind of player who says "I will take my revenge on the court".

ShoogarBear
08-31-2006, 06:18 PM
Yeah, great, Gilbert. :rolleyes

That's his whole problem. He's looking for his stats first, not the win.

BUMP
08-31-2006, 06:20 PM
:wow

i cant believe my eyes. couple weeks ago Bruce Bowen did the exact same thing. bitched, refused to attend any games, and said that he really had no chance or was given a fair tryout, and you guys were in tears over it.

saying Bruce deserves more, Bruce always is unappreciated, what a classy guy, team USA hates Bruce only.

unbelievable. Bruce was mad because he didnt make the team. who wouldnt be? Arenas is just mad as well. so why do you guys get on him so much?

Pero
08-31-2006, 06:28 PM
bronze medal so carmelo can go throw it in the river again.

Carmelo did what?!?

ChumpDumper
08-31-2006, 06:43 PM
:wow

i cant believe my eyes. couple weeks ago Bruce Bowen did the exact same thing. bitched, refused to attend any games, and said that he really had no chance or was given a fair tryout, and you guys were in tears over it.

saying Bruce deserves more, Bruce always is unappreciated, what a classy guy, team USA hates Bruce only.

unbelievable. Bruce was mad because he didnt make the team. who wouldnt be? Arenas is just mad as well. so why do you guys get on him so much?
I'm not bitter or mad at anyone. I just wish I would have gotten a better opportunity to show I could be on the team.Yeah, that's vicious stuff.

DarkReign
08-31-2006, 08:45 PM
Where are all those people who thought he deserved to be invited?

Me. And I was obviously, completely fucking wrong.

KFRebel
08-31-2006, 11:52 PM
When Gilbert A. becomes a coach, he'll sound just like Eddie Jordan.

ShoogarBear
09-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Book it: there will be a comment from Arenas sometime in the upcoming days/weeks/months about how either a) the USA wouldn't have lost with him or b) he's glad they lost.

Rip-Hamilton32
09-01-2006, 04:23 PM
He bitched about not being in the All-Star game, so they put him in. He sucked balls. He has one of the biggest egos in the NBA, and thinks to highly of himself.

yeah he has the right to but he wasn't always like that he wore the number 0 because thats how many minutes he thought he was gonna play all season

SirChaz
09-19-2006, 04:24 PM
Question to Phoenix Suns coach Mike D'Antoni.

Q: Gilbert Arenas is mad at you. He said he's going to score 100 points in two games against the Suns this year.

A: "I saw that. I can see why he's a little upset that he didn't make the team. He shouldn't be. It's an honor to be among the top 25. But also, I'm an assistant coach. He has to understand that. But the only guy he can take it out on is me and (Portland coach) Nate McMillan. And you know what? With our defense, he has a chance to get 100. God love him. I hope he can do it. But all I can say is 100 might not be enough."

Classic D'Antoni :lol

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-19-2006, 04:50 PM
If you can hurt yourself practicing your dunks you don't deserve to represent your country.