PDA

View Full Version : Elliott Joins Spurs Broadcast Team

Kori Ellis
10-25-2004, 06:45 PM
Oct. 25, 2004
Elliott Joins Spurs Broadcast Team

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/elliott_broadcast_041025.html

The San Antonio Spurs have announced their new television broadcast team for the 2004-05 regular season. One of the names is familiar to fans already, but he is now calling San Antonio Spurs’ broadcasts his home. Former Spur Sean Elliott signed a contract that has him as exclusive color analyst for 60 of 72 Spurs broadcasts this season.

The Spurs play-by-play duties will split between veteran broadcasters Dick Stockton and Bill Land. Stockton and Land will be joined by a duo of color analysts that have been staples on Spurs broadcasts. Joining Elliott is Lance Blanks, the Spurs director of scouting. This is Blanks’ third season behind the mic. He will serve as an analyst for 12 games when he is not scouting other NBA teams. Elliott rejoins the broadcast team in a fuller capacity following two seasons as a color commentator with ESPN.

“The Spurs have given me a great opportunity and I am absolutely thrilled to be here in a larger capacity,” remarked Sean Elliott. “I’ve always enjoyed working the Spurs games and it’s a big plus to be able to stay at home to do most of my work.”

“We are proud to have an exclusive relationship with Sean Elliott,” said Lawrence Payne, senior vice president of broadcasting for Spurs Sports & Entertainment. “He has been an instrumental part of adding fun and flavor to our Spurs broadcasts for the past five years.”

Kori Ellis
10-25-2004, 06:47 PM
Spurs Announce Broadcast Schedule

The Spurs officially announced their 2004-05 broadcast schedule (http://www.nba.com/spurs/schedule/). For the past three seasons, the Spurs have had the top rated broadcasts in the NBA. Spurs fans will be able to see all 82 Spurs games on either the Spurs local broadcast network or one of the NBA’s national broadcast partners.

The Spurs local broadcast partners will split the schedule three ways, Fox Sports Net will televise 31 Spurs games this season highlighted by the Spurs - Mavericks matchup November 24. KRRT (WB 35) will have 30 Spurs games starting with the November 13 contest at Atlanta. KENS 5, the flagship TV station of the Spurs, will televise 11 Spurs regular season contests beginning with the Sacramento Kings on November 3.

timvp
10-25-2004, 06:47 PM
Stockton and Elliott will be awesome.

Lance Blanks, on the other hand, needs to stick to his day job.

boutons
10-25-2004, 06:49 PM
Cool. I've always found SE to be sincere, authentic, level-headed, now we have him as Spurs' official "homer of color"!!

Now, how can we rid NBA broadcasting of that noisy, banality-spouting idiot Doug Collins?

maxpower
10-25-2004, 06:57 PM
Great for us...I wonder if he left espn on amicable terms to stay home ....or were there politics involved.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-25-2004, 06:59 PM
I am kinda bummed for Sean not being a part of the ESPN broadcast team.

I am exstatic that he will be a part of the Spurs broadcast squad though!

timvp
10-25-2004, 07:06 PM
I've never heard what happened between Sean and ESPN. At one point I know that he didn't like the travel and wanted more time in San Antonio.

Also, there's talk of him becoming part owner of the Spurs with Robinson.

T Park
10-25-2004, 08:06 PM
Yeah I read that too, that was why he didnt buy into the Suns.

Sean being back on the color is great.

Easily the smartest, and funniest color guy the Spurs have ever had.

Too bad it isnt, Dave Barnett and Sean Elliott.

That would be worth taping just for those two.

SpursFanInAustin
10-25-2004, 08:07 PM
I heard rumors that ESPN wanted to let go of Elliott because he was too much of a Spurs homer on national telecasts.

Guru of Nothing
10-25-2004, 08:07 PM
I am kinda bummed for Sean not being a part of the ESPN broadcast team.

I am exstatic that he will be a part of the Spurs broadcast squad though!

I wonder, how many readers here misspell "ecstatic?"

TMTTRIO
10-25-2004, 08:11 PM
I'm glad Sean will be doing the games although I will some what miss Steve Kerr doing some games.

ShoogarBear
10-25-2004, 09:02 PM
I heard rumors that ESPN wanted to let go of Elliott because he was too much of a Spurs homer on national telecasts.

I hope you're joking.

ShoogarBear
10-25-2004, 09:16 PM

http://www.weboshawa.com/sports/tyson/tyson127.jpg

"I never would! It's my favorite word!"

Das Texan
10-25-2004, 09:44 PM
great news.

sean was too good for those fuckers at espn anyway.

Notorious H.O.P.
10-25-2004, 10:42 PM
I'm definitely hoping it was all Sean's call to step away from his ESPN gig (completely or is he still going to be there in a limited capacity?). He wasn't even an up and comer there, he had already arrived. I recall reading several articles where his peers (both within ESPN and out), called him one of the best color commentators around and an asset to basketball broadcasting. If home is where he wanted to be, good for him. I know I'll certainly enjoy watching Spurs games just a little bit more with him behind the mike. I don't want to say that Lance Blanks sucks but he's not very good to an amazing degree. OK, nevermind, the guy sucks. Sean wasn't looking to good when he first started but he picked it up quickly. Lance started off bad and never got any better. Congrats to the Spurs for bringing Sean back into the fold.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-25-2004, 11:40 PM

I know how to spell it, it was a Freudian slip towards a poster here.

maxpower
10-25-2004, 11:51 PM
Sean probably wasn't street enough for them....probably looking for the next rapping color commentator.

Guru of Nothing
10-26-2004, 12:03 AM
I know how to spell it, it was a Freudian slip towards a poster here.

Stop being redundant and go fix your fantasy basketball team.

AgSpursFan
10-26-2004, 11:28 AM
Hey i like Freudian Slip, they are pretty funny. Have you ever seen them?

GoSpurs21
10-26-2004, 01:24 PM
I said it before...new management over at ESPN is driving most of the good talent away. If you want more of whats happening over there listen to Dan Patrick on ESPN radio

Shelly
10-26-2004, 02:23 PM
I don't want to say that Lance Blanks sucks but he's not very good to an amazing degree. OK, nevermind, the guy sucks.

Phew...you had me worried there for a minute.

I just don't like Lance's voice. It's not a voice for broadcasting. He ranks up there with Marv for me. I can't stand his voice either. It's that typical 'annoucer' voice. Don't get me started on the bad toupee...

Topic? I'm soooooo glad Sean's back.

Useruser666
10-26-2004, 03:05 PM
Sean has great funny comments and actually knows what is going on in the game.