PDA

View Full Version : First Annual Cotton Fitzsimmons Memorial Basketball Clinic

Kori Ellis
08-31-2006, 04:40 PM
TOP NBA COACHES TO GATHER IN CHICAGO IN SEPTEMBER TO LAUNCH FIRST ANNUAL "COTTON" FITZSIMMONS MEMORIAL BASKETBALL CLINIC

New York, August 24, 2006: A group of the NBA's most savvy and successful Coaches will gather in the heart of Chicago on September 15th and 16th at the renowned athletic facility of the Moody Bible Institute to participate in a basketball clinic directed to college, high school and junior high school coaches. The clinic will honor their late, cherished coaching colleague, the legendary Lowell "Cotton" Fitzsimmons.

Fitzsimmons, a long time NBA Coach with the Phoenix Suns, Atlanta Hawks, among others and a TV analyst for the Phoenix Suns passed away in July 2004. A larger than life personality and one of the founders of the NBA Coaches Association, Cotton was beloved by all of his fellow NBA Coaches.

In order to commemorate and preserve the memory of this special friend, the NBA Coaches Association in conjunction with Championship Basketball Clinics (America's leading basketball clinic organizer), his wife JoAnn Fitzsimmons and the Phoenix Suns have joined forces to launch this, the first annual Cotton Fitzsimmons Memorial Basketball Clinic this September.

Presenters at the clinic will include the Spurs Gregg Popovich, Mavericks Avery Johnson, Pistons Flip Saunders, Grizzlies Mike Fratello, Rockets Jeff Van Gundy, Nets Lawrence Frank, former Celtic Assistant Kevin Eastman and Hall of Fame Coach Hubie Brown. A full schedule over the two days will incorporate a wide variety of key topics essential to any coach who wishes to learn from the best of the NBA.

"With his passion for NBA basketball and his long involvement in it, Cotton Fitzsimmons was at heart a teacher of the game. What more fitting way to salute this great NBA personality and friend to so many than to have his fellow Coaches carry on his work by participating in an annual Coaches clinic in his honor" said Hall of Fame Coach Hubie Brown.

A portion of the proceeds generated from the clinic will be donated to the "Cotton Club" a youth basketball program established by the Phoenix Suns.

For further information about the Cotton Fitzsimmons Memorial Basketball Clinic, registration information, travel and hotel accommodations, please go to www.cbbconline.com or call Championship Basketball Clinics 503-671-3041.

Kori Ellis
08-31-2006, 04:52 PM
I don't know if you guys looked at the schedule for the coaching clinic, but Pop is teaching motion offense (that should piss off Aggie Hoopsfan).

8:30 pm - 9:30 pm “My Favorite Individual and Team Drills” - Gregg Popovich, San Antonio Spurs
9:30 pm - 9:40 pm Break
9:40 pm - 10:30 pm “Offensive Concepts and the Motion Offense” - Gregg Popovich, San Antonio Spurs

ShoogarBear
08-31-2006, 04:59 PM
They didn't invite Gervin?

Kori Ellis
08-31-2006, 05:03 PM
They didn't invite Gervin?

Is he a coach?

It's coaches teaching coaches.

ShoogarBear
08-31-2006, 05:06 PM
It was a joke.

Gervin and Cotton didn't exactly get along, and it was Cotton who engineered his trade to Chicago.

But yes, Gervin is a former coach. :spin

Kori Ellis
08-31-2006, 05:07 PM
It was a joke.

Gervin and Cotton didn't exactly get along, and it was Cotton who engineered his trade to Chicago.

But yes, Gervin is a former coach. :spin

I got the joke (sort of) but just didn't think he ever was a coach, so didn't think it was funny. :spin

ShoogarBear
08-31-2006, 05:09 PM
Gervin was an assistant with John Lucas. He was also head coach for the Detroit team in one of the minor leagues. Not the CBA, but I forget which one.

Kori Ellis
08-31-2006, 05:13 PM
Gervin was an assistant with John Lucas.

I didn't know that.

I disliked the Spurs during that era.

I began bandwagoning in 2000-01.