PDA

View Full Version : Could Alex Garcia Be Coming Back?

timvp
10-25-2004, 08:02 PM
The Spurs were sad when they lost him to the Hornets. They didn't expect that it would happen and Pop even said something like, "we'll try to find a way to get him back here."

Well, it looks like Garcia isn't going to make the cut with the Hornets. He isn't playing too well in preseason (30% from the floor and 5-16 on threes) and the Hornets already have Baron Davis, Darrell Armstrong and Junior Harrington playing well at the point. The third point guard spot on that team was probably Harrington vs. Garcia, and Harrington has played better during preseason.

If it comes down to it, I think the Spurs would pick Garcia over Marque Perry. They like Perry, but Garcia has the athleticism and is getting better as a shooter. The Hornets might be the worst organization in the NBA, which probably has to do with Garcia's lack of development over the summer. From what I saw, they didn't even put him on the summer league team.

Hopefully the Hornets make a move soon if they are going to cut Garcia. That way the Spurs can bring him in and let him play in a couple preseason games to see what they have.

timvp
10-25-2004, 08:09 PM
Veterans' injuries let free agents get a look
Nailon, Garcia make most of opportunity in preseason games
Monday, October 18, 2004
By Benjamin Hochman

Although the Hornets' roster cutting has been put on hold because of injuries, to famously quote West Virginia's infamously incarcerated billionaire Martha Stewart -- "It's a good thing."

It's a good thing because coaches are getting to see more of their six remaining free agents in practice and in preseason games.

"They get a little bit of a longer look," Hornets general manager Allan Bristow said. "I always feel like the longer those guys get a chance to prove themselves, the better off they are."

The contending six are guards Alex Garcia and Junior Harrington and forwards Lee Nailon, Tremaine Fowlkes, Britton Johnsen and Nate Williams, all of whom have seen plenty of action in the first three preseason games. While teams historically don't have 18 players deep into training camp, the Hornets can afford to keep these guys around because of their slew of injuries.

Guard David Wesley (right hamstring), forward Rodney Rogers (right hamstring) and post players Jamaal Magloire (left ankle) and Chris Andersen (back spasms) are sidelined, so suddenly there is little rush to trim the roster. New Orleans has until 6 p.m. on Nov. 1 to set its roster to 12 active players, with up to three additional players on the injured list. Eleven Hornets, including the erstwhile All-Star Jamal Mashburn, have guaranteed contracts.

"I think that we're pushing it back more then trying to force the issue early, mainly because of the injuries," Bristow said. "Right now, everything's sort of put on hold."

A wrench in the preseason has been the slow progress of Rogers, who has spent more time on a stationary bike than on the court. While coaches and brass hoped to watch Rodgers assimilate into the Hornets' scheme during the preseason, his void at small forward -- playing behind starter George Lynch -- has given the free agent forwards an enticing opportunity. Namely Nailon.

Nailon, 6 feet 8, has played in two games and is second on the Hornets in points per game (15.0) and minutes per game (26.5). He showed some silky-smooth jump shooting late in the Dallas game with the score close, and his hustle and defense have drawn attention.

Nailon has made 14 of 22 field-goal attempts for 63.6 percent shooting, third on New Orleans. His versatility -- if necessary, he can be placed at shooting guard or power forward -- makes Nailon, 29, an intriguing possibility.

"I think I'm a lot more mature," said Nailon, who was drafted by the Hornets in the second round (43rd pick overall) of the 1999 NBA draft and played two seasons in Charlotte and the preseason in New Orleans in 2002. "When I was first on the team, I was fresh out of college. I had a lot of room to improve, as well as now. With the new coaching staff and the style of play that I like, I'll just continue to go with this team and have a great season."

The other forwards vying for roster spots include Johnsen, who has showed flashes of being a hustling rebounder and scored 11 points in 34 minutes at Chicago. Nate Williams, a rookie out of Georgia State, played in the second and third preseason games, with scoring totals of six and nine points. Fowlkes has been battling a left thigh bruise, limiting him in the first three preseason games.

"I hate to put one in front of the other," said Bristow, whose team has five remaining preseason games. "As we go down the stretch here, without having seen Rodney fit in because he hasn't played, it leaves the door open for players at that position."

Alex Garcia has shot 4-of-15 but has yet to turn the ball over in 31 minutes, and he has been making strides at point guard, Bristow said.

"Looking at (Nailon and Garcia), it looks like every time they continue to get on the floor, they don't make the mistakes they made previously," Bristow said. "Those two guys have been good, along with the other ones."

And so the Hornets will continue to evaluate their free agents, while keeping a close eye on their injured players.

The Hornets did not practice Sunday following three preseason games in four days, but injured players such as Andersen and Rogers spent time with team trainers at the Alario Center. The Hornets will return to practice this afternoon and then host Philadelphia on Tuesday in a preseason matchup at 7 p.m.

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-14/109808257210170.xml

timvp
10-25-2004, 08:12 PM
Hornets stumble again on defense
New Orleans can't hold off Clippers, loses third in row
Monday, October 25, 2004
By John Reid

LOS ANGELES -- The Hornets have looked the most vulnerable in the fourth quarter in the preseason.

They have been slow to challenge shooters and stop passes from entering the middle of the lane. Those deficiencies caused the Hornets to lose sizable second-half leads in consecutive losses to the Orlando Magic and Sacramento Kings.

On Sunday night, the Hornets didn't wait until the fourth quarter to begin having defensive problems. They started in the second quarter and remained until New Orleans left the Staples Center with a 97-93 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers.

The Hornets lost their third consecutive game. In Saturday's 92-87 loss at Sacramento, the Hornets were outscored 26-15 in the fourth quarter. In last week's loss to Orlando in Biloxi, Miss., the Hornets blew an 11-point lead.

On Sunday, the Hornets allowed forward Bobby Simmons to seal the Clippers' victory when he made a baseline jumper and a driving shot in the final 37.5 seconds after New Orleans had closed to 93-91.

It was the second time in eight days that the Hornets played the Clippers. The Hornets won the first meeting 105-95 in Lafayette.

Starting point guard Baron Davis missed his second consecutive game because of a strained left ankle. Junior Harrington, who is trying to earn a roster spot, started in place of Davis and scored 14 points in 29 minutes.

Meanwhile, backup point guard Alex Garcia didn't make the offensive impact that Coach Byron Scott was seeking. Garcia made two of 11 shots and scored nine points.

Starting center Jamaal Magloire made six of seven shots to score a team-high 21 points.

Backup guard Darrell Armstrong came off the bench and gave the Hornets a lift with 13 points. Armstrong had made three of 16 from the field in the past two games.

The Hornets started strong defensively but could not keep it going. They were slow to rotate and help one another to stop baseline drives. The Clippers got the majority of shots they wanted, especially in the post. Los Angeles led 45-44 at halftime.

The teams combined to take 108 free throws.

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-14/1098704758316680.xml

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-25-2004, 08:16 PM
Alex Garcia deserves better than Byron Scott.

SequSpur
10-25-2004, 08:45 PM
You can't be serious..

xcoriate
10-25-2004, 08:51 PM
Yeah I can't say i'd be thrilled to have him back...

E20
10-25-2004, 08:52 PM
Alex looks like Manu.

Kori Ellis
10-25-2004, 08:56 PM
Yeah I can't say i'd be thrilled to have him back...

Why? Did you ever see him play?

timvp
10-25-2004, 10:31 PM
He's pretty much an unknown right now. The Spurs should have a good idea as to who is better, Garcia or Perry.

All I know is the Spurs were dissapointed when Garcia was "stolen". They can right that wrong if the Hornets waive him.

Solid D
10-25-2004, 10:33 PM
It's all arranged as planned. Shoot 2-11...Byron will be unimpressed...RC picks you up at the airport...welcome back.

timvp
10-25-2004, 10:34 PM
It's all arranged as planned. Shoot 2-11...Byron will be unimpressed...RC picks you up at the airport...welcome back.

:lmao

P.S.

Wait ... were you joking? :smokin

Notorious H.O.P.
10-25-2004, 11:14 PM
If the Spurs get a shot to get Alex back, I think they definitely will. I don't think the Spurs whould have invested the time and money they did on him if they didn't think he could fit in our system. Seeing the lack of quality bigs still available in free agency and our glut of swingmen, I can see the Spurs keeping Alex as our emergency point guard. He's quick and athletic and he is stronger than both Parker and Udrih. Assuming he could get into a game, he could help body up some of the stronger point guards in the league and would still have the quickness to stay in front of them if the situation warranted. Plus, after spending a year on the bench, he should have some type of grasp of the Spurs system. Considering we didn't see much of him, what's the word on his defense?

timvp
10-26-2004, 12:53 AM
He's a very physical defender. The Spurs thought that he could grow into their answer for players like Marbury and Billups defensively.

Nice post, Notorious H.O.P.

Stick around.

whottt
10-26-2004, 02:36 AM
0 Turnovers? Not Spurs material.

We are already breaking the mold with Barry's FT shooting, let's not over-do it and forget who we are.

spurster
10-26-2004, 09:18 AM
I didn't think Garcia was a point guard, hence the lack of excitement. We already have plenty of shooting guards.

Kori Ellis
10-26-2004, 09:45 AM
He was being groomed as a backup point guard by the Spurs. He's only 6'2, so he wouldn' t be playing shooting guard.

Brodels
10-26-2004, 10:13 AM
He's got the body and athleticism to succeed. You can't teach those things, so he's certainly worth another look. If he can become a better shooter and floor general, he could certainly succeed in the N.B.A.

It will take some time though. Will the Spurs be willing to invest two to four years in him? It's possible that it could take that long before he becomes a quality backup, if he even pans out at all.

I think he needs to be a long-term investment if the Spurs decide to take him back. You can't pick him up for this year and expect him to do big things.

samikeyp
10-26-2004, 10:41 AM
The one thing that stands out for me about Garcia was in his first game back after being injured (I think it was the first game) he went up for a follow jam...the ball went off the back of the rim but the way he got up so high so quickly was amazing. Bring the kid back.

timvp
10-26-2004, 01:27 PM
The one thing that stands out for me about Garcia was in his first game back after being injured (I think it was the first game) he went up for a follow jam...the ball went off the back of the rim but the way he got up so high so quickly was amazing. Bring the kid back.

Yeah, this kid is an awesome athlete. He's built like a linebacker and can jump out of the gym.

The Spurs were trying to work him and turn him into a Speedy Claxton score-first type point guard. He can shoot the three right now, but the Spurs were helping him on his form. The last I saw of him, he had an ugly looking shot.

But I think this is a gamble well worth taking.

FromWayDowntown
10-26-2004, 06:17 PM
But I think this is a gamble well worth taking.

Assuming that he actually comes available. From just reading the articles and knowing very little else about the Hornets' preseason, it sounds like there's a difference of opinion within the organization about what Garcia has done this preseason. Scott doesn't seem to be that impressed, but Bristow comes off as very positive about Alex's performances so far. His quotes don't make it sound like he intends to let Garcia go. I guess it comes down to who's wearing the pants in New Orleans. I'd guess that Bristow will win personnel battles.

If Garcia is available, I think the Spurs have to make an effort to pick him up. I agree with the concerns about our smallish (and brittle) point guards, so I think you have to have a 3rd PG on the roster (not counting Barry). I guess acquiring Garcia would come down to any differences between his game and Perry's and the availability of any other points who might have a bit more experience or some other quality. After last season's early abomination at the point and the mad scramble to find two warm bodies to fill in, knowing that Parker isn't exactly an ironman, and realizing that Beno is proving by the day to be susceptible to injury, it's imperative that the Spurs have another, serviceable point who can step in immediately.

ChumpDumper
10-26-2004, 06:43 PM
I'd like to see him back, but I fear some other team would take him off waivers before us. Another unfortunate cap casualty -- one I thought unnecessary.

SequSpur
10-26-2004, 07:33 PM
You all have to be drug users. Garcia sucks. Not only did he suck on the Spurs, he is sucking where he is now. What does he have 9 lives? LMAO. The Spurs have lowered fan expectations so much that they go into the backwoods and sign no name point guards. You all are high.

Kori Ellis
10-26-2004, 07:44 PM
Not only did he suck on the Spurs

He played six minutes on the Spurs, so how would you know? He's the same guy you loved when we were watching that preseason game at Fatso's last season.

We are talking about a THIRD STRING POINT GUARD to sit on IR in case someone gets hurt. We aren't talking about someone to contribute regularly.

ChumpDumper
10-26-2004, 07:54 PM
If Beno is going to be in and out, we need a vet who has run the point in the NBA at least a little. Some of these guys are available or on the bubble somewhere in the league and could be gotten:

Doug Overton
Goldie
Darrick Martin
Janero Pargo
Frank Williams
Moochie Norris

A bit of a rogues gallery, but this is for insurance -- don't need another project.

timvp
10-26-2004, 07:58 PM
Of that list, I'd pick Pargo. He was nails in summer league.

ChumpDumper
10-26-2004, 08:02 PM
I was just thinking Pargo mught actually compete for backup. He's caught in a numbers game in Chitown -- I think Paxson is really trying to work a trade involving one of them before he has to waive anyone else.

Jimcs50
10-26-2004, 08:11 PM
He blows

ChumpDumper
10-26-2004, 08:14 PM
He's currently shooting better than any Spur guard not named Parker....

Jimcs50
10-26-2004, 08:50 PM
He's currently shooting better than any Spur guard not named Parker....

Can you say preseason?

:)

ChumpDumper
10-26-2004, 09:06 PM
Sure, but there it is....

Ignite
10-26-2004, 10:04 PM
Isn't Alex Garcia a Weather guy?