PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Tony Massenburg

spur219
10-25-2004, 10:33 PM
I saw this guy on Saturday vs the Sonics and all he did was commit fouls. The guy fouled out in not many minutes of play. I have never liked this guy and I don't think I ever will. He is an undersized center. Why in the world did the Spurs give up Kevin Willis for this guy. Kevin is a solid 7 foot center with above par defense and a good rebounder and not to mention his great leadership. He was the leading scorer in one of the Hawks preseason games. I think it was a big mistake to let go of Willis and get MASSENBURG. It's crazy when you think of the backup bigs that the Spurs have. Outside of Rose who else do you have Horry,Massenburg,and Marks. As weird as this might sound but Marks might be the best guy out of those 3. It just worries me that if Duncan gets the Spurs will hurt a lot on the front court. I just question why the Spurs let go of Willis for Massenburg. It just does not make sense.

Marcus Bryant
10-25-2004, 10:36 PM
Based on a couple preseason games the Spurs just blew $20 mil on a free agent bust and his name's not Tony Massenburg.

Relax. I'd be concerned if Mass wasn't picking up some fouls early on. The Spurs need to be more aggressive and physical inside.

timvp
10-25-2004, 10:38 PM
He's just a bruiser ... nothing more, nothing less. He'll give you six hard fouls.

I don't know what happened with Willis. That is one of the more interesting questions of the offseason.

spur219
10-25-2004, 10:47 PM
Are you talking about Brent Barry Marcus. Barry is looking much better and will provide for the Spurs. He is not bust he looked very good this past Saturday.

GoSpurs21
10-26-2004, 11:55 AM
i was at the game Saturday and I wish more of the Spurs bigs would be as aggressive as Tony. He is just what we need when the opposing teams big is getting baskets too easy. Tony will go in a wear them down. That's exactly what we need from him. I don't remember Willis making people pay as much last year as he did the year before.

FromWayDowntown
10-26-2004, 12:32 PM
I said to someone sitting near me on Saturday that I thought it was promising that the Spurs have a player who will put a hard foul on a penetrating player. I mumbled something about how refreshing it would be to see someone put Kobe Bryant on his ass every once in a while.

That said, the truth is that if the Spurs are relying on Massenburg for more than Willis-type minutes over any long stretches of the season, things will likely not be going well. 219 said expressed a concern for the Spurs front court if Duncan gets hurt. Well, here's a newsflash: if Duncan gets hurt, this team ain't going nowhere. The Spurs can survive for awhile without Rasho (some would say they'd be better) and they can survive with injuries to Rose or Horry, but if you get to a point where you're relying on Sean Marks or Tony Massenburg to give you more than 8-10 minutes on any regular basis (for more than say 5-10 consecutive games), you might want to aid the Spurs in locating that red chameleon.

xcoriate
10-26-2004, 07:06 PM
Have you seen Marks play?

ShoogarBear
10-26-2004, 10:10 PM
Have you seen Marks play?

Nobody has. He makes Beno look like Cal Ripken.

timvp
10-26-2004, 10:11 PM
Against the Mavs:

Massenburg with 12 points, 4 rebounds and 3 blocks in 19 minutes.

:hat

ChumpDumper
10-26-2004, 10:14 PM
The blocks are pretty surprising, but the guy can play. He's got decent enough range to make him useful.

boutons
10-26-2004, 10:19 PM
At 37 years, Massenburg has break out year with Spurs.

not that there's anything wrong with that. maybe he wants a ring real bad.

ShoogarBear
10-26-2004, 10:25 PM
Mass has an okay game around the basket. He's not especially consistent, but I remember more than one game where he hurt the Spurs with his post game.

There's a reason he's been in the league as long as he has.

Phenomanul
10-26-2004, 11:37 PM
Nothing against Mass....and maybe I have the economics wrong but I feel we should have gone stronger after Nocioni... and then elect to play Malik and Marks more.

Maybe.... just maybe the organization has already done the economics to get Scola next year....

ChumpDumper
10-26-2004, 11:48 PM
Nothing against Mass....and maybe I have the economics wrong but I feel we should have gone stronger after Nocioni.Unless you're saying don't sign Barry or Bowen, that's impossible. Mass plays for little more than a rookie in real money to the Spurs, and it didn't cut into the cap space.
Maybe.... just maybe the organization has already done the economics to get Scola next year....Of course they have.

TheWriter
10-27-2004, 12:08 AM
How the hell were we supposed to sign Manu, Bruce, Brent, Beno and Nocioni (not to mention his 3 million dollar buyout)?

timvp
10-27-2004, 12:12 AM
and maybe I have the economics wrong

Solid D
10-27-2004, 12:39 AM
Nobody has. He makes Beno look like Cal Ripken.

It's late, I'm tired...but that is too funny! :rollin

aka_USAPA
10-27-2004, 02:16 AM
Massenburg is a scrub and a journeyman at best.