PDA

View Full Version : Should the NBA allow players to play international ball?

spurschick
09-03-2006, 09:24 AM
I was just watching The Sports Reporters on ESPN and one of the panelists basically said that the United States shouldn't participate in international play with NBA players because it hurts the NBA brand when they lose. One of the other panelists disagreed with him, saying that the rest of the world has simply caught up with North American dominance of basketball.

Thoughts?

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-03-2006, 09:35 AM
Well now they have to play because if we quit playing the other countries are gonna think that we're sore losers because we quit and we haven't been winning anything. And then they'll be saying that USA sucks. So if we're gonna quit we have to win some golds.

boutons_
09-03-2006, 09:51 AM
We can't win so, we can't even compete, so we won't stoop to play.

Our Way, or (we hit) the Highway.

NBA Champions are parochial American champions, not World Champions.

Bruno
09-03-2006, 10:05 AM
Just a hint for this ESPN guy :
WC isn't like ASG, nba in europe and BB without borders : it's a competition and not a nba promotional operation.

spurschick
09-03-2006, 10:16 AM
Just a hint for this ESPN guy :
WC isn't like ASG, nba in europe and BB without borders : it's a competition and not a nba promotional operation.

Exactly. When I see Team USA, I don't think of the NBA. I think of them as players representing the US. Argentina has five guys that play in the NBA, so does their loss reflect badly on the NBA as well? I didn't hear him say anything about that.

angel_luv
09-03-2006, 10:28 AM
Exactly. When I see Team USA, I don't think of the NBA. I think of them as players representing the US. Argentina has five guys that play in the NBA, so does their loss reflect badly on the NBA as well? I didn't hear him say anything about that.

I has a similar thought.

With all the international players who also play in the NBA, there is a good chance that some NBA player, even if not an American one, will win the tournament.

Regardless of the nationality of that winner, I think it still reflects well on the NBA team that drafted him.

wildbill2u
09-03-2006, 11:14 AM
I was just watching The Sports Reporters on ESPN and one of the panelists basically said that the United States shouldn't participate in international play with NBA players because it hurts the NBA brand when they lose. One of the other panelists disagreed with him, saying that the rest of the world has simply caught up with American dominance of basketball.

Thoughts?
The fact is that the NBA 'brand' deserves to lose some luster if they don't compete well, even when using their superstars.

I haven't heard anyone say they got beat because of the refs, or they don't understand the rules. Or can't play by the FIBA rules.

Apparently, the team concept of basketball is beyond the comprehension of NBA American superstars when they are all stacked together.

bdubya
09-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Idiocy. Seems like the benefit of having names like Yao, Nowitzki, Ginobili, Parker, Gasol, etc. playing for their home teams has got to outweigh any tarnish from the US only getting the Bronze. "In spite of the massive international exposure we get, oOur brand just CAN'T take the humiliation of the US team placing third. Sure, the Chinese fans are a little annoyed that we won't let Yao play, but that won't hurt us in the long run nearly as much as those US bronzes do..." :rolleyes

Sway
09-03-2006, 11:55 AM
Yes, the WCs and Olympics are what sports are supposed to be about.

BgT
09-03-2006, 12:24 PM
United States shouldn't participate in international play with NBA players because it hurts the NBA brand when they lose.
:lol :lol :lmao :lmao
There are some good posts in this topic which are my opinion as well. It's good that Coach K doesn't see these competitions as NBA promotional material, so I think USA team can get only better in next years.

dbestpro
09-03-2006, 12:24 PM
The area that no one mentions were the international teams are better than the NBA is really coaching and players willing to be coached.

You or I can call for an isolation offense. That currently is the state of NBA coaching. The NBA changes where touch fouls were being called encouraged this type of offense. NBA changes need to focus on issues that cause teams to pass to the open man. So, before we start complaining about the players we need to send the coaches back to basketball 101 and then get the players who are team first guys.

I am still amazed that the coaching brain trust of team USA could not defend against a pick and role.

ponky
09-03-2006, 12:31 PM
:lol :lol :lmao :lmao
There are some good posts in this topic which are my opinion as well. It's good that Coach K doesn't see these competitions as NBA promotional material, so I think USA team can get only better in next years.

ditto and everything else posted, nice comments

gus
09-03-2006, 12:54 PM
NBA has a problem. Look if someone like Arenas or Iverson has less than 20 shots per game, the whinning is going to start for sure. Broadcasting, and everyone surrounding NBA favour the superstar isolation basketball. C'mmon this is Rucker Park not basketball. The only exception is maybe our beloved Spurs.

Anyway the best players are in NBA so Mr. Stern has nothing to worry about.

Gus

ChumpDumper
09-03-2006, 03:52 PM
I was just watching The Sports Reporters on ESPN and one of the panelists basically said that the United States shouldn't participate in international play with NBA players because it hurts the NBA brand when they lose.Then don't lose.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-03-2006, 04:04 PM
I actually thought the US played a lot better this time around. The individual style of play still dominates there, but its sinking in IMO. Its a shame the US sees the bronze as such a failure, because that only means they don't give enough credit to other great basketball nations such as Spain, Greece or even Argentina.

As for the NBA looking bad because of their placement, thats bullshit. First and foremost, if the US response to adversity was to just quit participating, it would directly affect the NBA image far more than placing third would. Second, Americans should really stop looking at bronze as a complete failure. Just accept that now, there are nations that can compete at their level and instead of regarding anything other than first place as a failure, support your team and be happy to have medalled at all. Yes, the US can win the gold, but that doesn't necesarilly mean its for sure.

I for one am proud of our Argentina team. They might not have been in the top three, but I can't complain at how much effort they put in.

spurschick
09-03-2006, 04:18 PM
I am proud that the US medaled and I really don't understand why they think that anything less than Gold is a complete failure. Argentina didn't medal at all, but they're still proud with how they played in the tournament. I think that the mentality of US athletes in competitions like this trickles down from the overall mentality of the country. If we're not completely kicking everyone's ass, we're failures. But that's a topic for the politcal forum.

MannyIsGod
09-03-2006, 05:46 PM
Bronze is a failure and there is no other way to look at it. The talent assembled should have completely run over the rest of the field. The world has gotten much better and there is no denying that, but the fact is that the US has also degenereated into an isolation style of basketball that is easily exploitable.

They did take a step in the right direction with this competition. We could have done much much better though. There are high standards in place for this team and there is a reason for that. When Brazil goes to the World Cup and they don't win it all, it is a failure. Why? Because of the way the culture of the sport is within that particular country. Basketball is ours, and we play it more than any other country in the world. Anything less than the best is a failure because this team should win the gold every time with the level of talent they have! Many other teams of the world play well, but none have the same capabilities that team USA had. No other country is able to reach a level of play that this country is capable of, but we failed.

The motivations that sprung from Athens and the previous WCs should have been more than enough to spur change and instill enough motivation to change the system into a winning one. It is very frustrating to see the same fundemental mistakes made in team mangement and coaching that were made in the previous Olympics. To watch the same isolation offense that results in charge after charge or to wait time and time again for a sign of a zone defense to combat the pic and roll and never see it is to witness the same errors in coaching that were made before.

So yes, if we aren't kicking everyone elses asses then this team failed. We don't play for the bronze in basketball. We play for the gold because when this team finally starts to play to its ceiling, thats what they will win each and every time.

Spurologist
09-03-2006, 05:46 PM
Basketball is basketball. Of course there are minor changes to international ball, but United States is still the grestest basketball nation. It's true that the rest of the world has gradually caught up, but USA would consistently beat any other team with their main stars playing. I want to see an international team beat the a healthy US team with US players wanting to play for pride.

PG LeBron
SG Kobe
SF Tracy
PF TD/KG
C Shaq

The time when the US could possibly send scrubs from the college level are DEAD and OVER. A lot of the Euro league are far superior to the college level.

This current US team that Calengelo assembled was certainly capable of winning gold, but you can sense that it wasn't going to be easy. This team has too many lapses and holes on the team for it to consistenly win without it playing with great effort. They can't simply BS their way through a game and win against teams like Argentina and Spain.

I think there will be a point in international basketball where the US team will need to bring their super-stars to succeed. This similar to the US and delveloping soccer, but basketball for the rest of the world is happening a lot faster.

MannyIsGod
09-03-2006, 05:48 PM
This team was more than capable of winning the gold with the personel. They were by far the most talented and deepest team.

If you give us the same coach the Greek's had, we win hands down. Chew on that.

spurschick
09-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Basketball is ours, and we play it more than any other country in the world.

What do you mean it's ours? And how do you know we play it more?

Spurologist
09-03-2006, 06:14 PM
This team was more than capable of winning the gold with the personel. They were by far the most talented and deepest team.

If you give us the same coach the Greek's had, we win hands down. Chew on that.

ooooooooooo kkkkk. I said they were capable of winning but they flat out sucked ass because...

1. Too many open threes. Give chances for scrubs to shine.

2. Lack of effort. D Wade misses a layup and instead of going back on D, he chats with the ref. That also leads to #1. Celebrating before the game by putting on a dunk display. Great stuff there. I am not taking about a dunk. Sarcasm. Where was coach K? Maybe he was coordinating the dunks. Nice.

3. Defense: Pick and Roll D and penetration. Arroyo burned US. Sarunus burned US. Scrubs from Greece burned US. History is funny. Yep is also leads to #1. Doesn't the US have the best basketball athletes in the world?

4. No post up offense. Where was the Elton Brand that we are all used to? What about Dwight Howard? Great rebouding the stats for him, but how about also feeding the man. Also Bosh never had a chance to use his superior quickness over every big man out there.

5. Offense. Offense in general sucked at times. US needed more demoralizing plays. James/Wade/somebody needs to be dunking on people with reckless abandon. When you're down, you don't try to bank a three pointer. You don't try to go ONE on FIVE. Work the ball around.

6. Pass the ball. In retrospect, I seriously wonder if they would have even sniffed the quarter-finals if it wasn't for Chris Paul. Can anyone else pass. LeBron? Not enough.

7. Coach K. Coaches that pull Flip Saunders in the fourth quarter in tight games should never coach the USA basketball team. It's not time to strain your neck and panic by making 100 subs in the fourth quarter. How about getting Howard in there late who was the low maintenance big man you made to begin with. Also a major reason for all of the above. All this coach K knows zone and defense was all hyped garbaged that turned to be over-rated bullshit and eventually led to his panic attack and clear inability to lead. Run-on-setennce. YES.

angel_luv
09-03-2006, 06:21 PM
I am proud that the US medaled and I really don't understand why they think that anything less than Gold is a complete failure. Argentina didn't medal at all, but they're still proud with how they played in the tournament. I think that the mentality of US athletes in competitions like this trickles down from the overall mentality of the country. If we're not completely kicking everyone's ass, we're failures. But that's a topic for the politcal forum.

I agree with you.

I think the U.S. team did well, even if they didn't win. As did Argentina. As did Slovenia. :)

Spurologist
09-03-2006, 06:24 PM

:tu Sentiments of the majority of US population

MaNuMaNiAc
09-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Bronze is a failure and there is no other way to look at it. The talent assembled should have completely run over the rest of the field. The world has gotten much better and there is no denying that, but the fact is that the US has also degenereated into an isolation style of basketball that is easily exploitable.

They did take a step in the right direction with this competition. We could have done much much better though. There are high standards in place for this team and there is a reason for that. When Brazil goes to the World Cup and they don't win it all, it is a failure. Why? Because of the way the culture of the sport is within that particular country. Basketball is ours, and we play it more than any other country in the world. Anything less than the best is a failure because this team should win the gold every time with the level of talent they have! Many other teams of the world play well, but none have the same capabilities that team USA had. No other country is able to reach a level of play that this country is capable of, but we failed.

The motivations that sprung from Athens and the previous WCs should have been more than enough to spur change and instill enough motivation to change the system into a winning one. It is very frustrating to see the same fundemental mistakes made in team mangement and coaching that were made in the previous Olympics. To watch the same isolation offense that results in charge after charge or to wait time and time again for a sign of a zone defense to combat the pic and roll and never see it is to witness the same errors in coaching that were made before.

So yes, if we aren't kicking everyone elses asses then this team failed. We don't play for the bronze in basketball. We play for the gold because when this team finally starts to play to its ceiling, thats what they will win each and every time.
wow... http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif still haven't learned I see. Its still "we lost, but we were the best and should have won" sort of thing huh? It couldn't have been that Greece played better as a TEAM... no, its we had more talent we should have won, anything else is failure. Yeah, that's a healthy way of looking at it

Bob Lanier
09-03-2006, 06:51 PM
In general terms, no, teams should not allow their players to compete on behalf of other organizations while they're under contract.

Ignorant Spurs fan
09-03-2006, 06:53 PM
im not sure what the deal is. just put Duncan on the team and they will never lose

MaNuMaNiAc
09-03-2006, 06:54 PM
When Brazil goes to the World Cup and they don't win it all, it is a failure. Why? Because of the way the culture of the sport is within that particular country.
bullshit! Yes Brasil would be dissapointed to not win the world cup, and so would the other 5 or so nations with very real chances of doing so. However, they would not consider a third place as embarrasing a failure as America seems to consider theirs. You see Brasil knows in the world of football there are a number of worthy opponents who can beat them any day of the week, just to name a few Germany, England, France, Netherlands, Italy, Argentina, etc...

You see Brasil is usually the best, they know this, but they are also willing to accept other teams are good enough to beat them, something you apparently are not willing to do. That's called ego.

spurschick
09-03-2006, 06:58 PM
However, they would not consider a third place as embarrasing a failure as America seems to consider theirs.

America or the United States? I actually made a clarification in my original post. Most people, including myself, refer to the United States as America. In actuality, America includes North, Central and South, making all of the residents Americans.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-03-2006, 07:02 PM
America or the United States? I actually made a clarification in my original post. Most people, including myself, refer to the United States as America. In actuality, America includes North, Central and South, making all of the residents Americans.
you're right, I usually make the distinction except when I'm talking to United Statians? http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif Since I usually call people from the US americans, I just call the US America since most people understand what I mean. Anyway, its just semantics

spurschick
09-03-2006, 07:04 PM
you're right, I usually make the distinction except when I'm talking to United Statians?

:lol I love it! I am officially a United Statian!

MaNuMaNiAc
09-03-2006, 07:05 PM
:lol I love it! I am officially a United Statian!
http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

Tim Duncan
09-03-2006, 07:10 PM
im not sure what the deal is. just put Duncan on the team and they will never lose

well thank you. i appreciate that comment. but that will never happen. Fiba sucks. i cant get the calls i normally do in the NBA

mavs>spurs2
09-03-2006, 07:16 PM
well thank you. i appreciate that comment. but that will never happen. Fiba sucks. i cant get the calls i normally do in the NBA

Lmao gotta be a mav troll.....

angel_luv
09-03-2006, 07:37 PM

laugh of the day- hehe

Welcome to the board " Tim" :)

Tim Duncan
09-03-2006, 07:42 PM
laugh of the day- hehe

Welcome to the board " Tim" :)

Thank you. this is funny. im really active in the community, but it took me so long to find this board

angel_luv
09-03-2006, 07:53 PM
Thank you. this is funny. im really active in the community, but it took me so long to find this board

You type like T-Park.

bendmz
09-03-2006, 08:35 PM
figure this...... since the concept of "TEAM" basketball basiclly kicked our butt, why not just send the NBA Champs to the tournement... all the basics are there and we would not have to tolerate all the temper tantrums from the dumbass whiners.......... just a thought :clap

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
09-03-2006, 09:07 PM
That's what we are, capitalists. It's about being the best, not some mamby-pamby communist ideal where 9th place is acceptable.

Bronze isn't a failure. But in competitions, if you have what it takes you go for the gold anything less is unacceptable. With our talented team this year, bronze might not be a failure, but it is a disappointment.

MannyIsGod
09-03-2006, 09:11 PM
wow... http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif still haven't learned I see. Its still "we lost, but we were the best and should have won" sort of thing huh? It couldn't have been that Greece played better as a TEAM... no, its we had more talent we should have won, anything else is failure. Yeah, that's a healthy way of looking at itHealthy? WTF?

The United States team has the most talent by far out of any team in the world. It isnt' even close. Are you going to debate that with me? Given the amount of talent, I view anything less than 1st place as a failure.

I'm not saying Greece didn't play better as a team. I think that is pretty damn obvious. I am lamenting that fact.

I don't understand why it offends you that my expectations for my team based on their talent are so high.

samikeyp
09-03-2006, 09:14 PM
figure this...... since the concept of "TEAM" basketball basiclly kicked our butt, why not just send the NBA Champs to the tournement... all the basics are there and we would not have to tolerate all the temper tantrums from the dumbass whiners.......... just a thought

The Spurs would be screwed with all the international players they have.

MannyIsGod
09-03-2006, 09:24 PM
bullshit! Yes Brasil would be dissapointed to not win the world cup, and so would the other 5 or so nations with very real chances of doing so. However, they would not consider a third place as embarrasing a failure as America seems to consider theirs. You see Brasil knows in the world of football there are a number of worthy opponents who can beat them any day of the week, just to name a few Germany, England, France, Netherlands, Italy, Argentina, etc...

You see Brasil is usually the best, they know this, but they are also willing to accept other teams are good enough to beat them, something you apparently are not willing to do. That's called ego.Is that what its called? :lol

I fully accept that Greece was a better team. However, if we do it right, no one can be a better team. Thats my point. When we do things right, no one can beat our team regardless of how far the rest of the world has come.

Ego? Yeah. But its also the truth.

spurs=bling
09-03-2006, 09:29 PM
Lmao gotta be a mav troll.....
yeah look at the profile......

MaNuMaNiAc
09-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Is that what its called? :lol

I fully accept that Greece was a better team. However, if we do it right, no one can be a better team. Thats my point. When we do things right, no one can beat our team regardless of how far the rest of the world has come.

Ego? Yeah. But its also the truth.
well thats what its all about isn't it? doing things right. It doesn't matter how much talent you have if you don't have the sense to use it properly. This is a team sport, and in FIBA its usually the best team that wins. Obviously if the US started playing a better team oriented style of basketball they would win every game. The point is since this is a team sport and the better team wins, why do you keep bringing up talent?

by the way "if we do it right, no one can be a better team. Thats my point. When we do things right, no one can beat our team", that applies to every team, not just the US.

dbestpro
09-03-2006, 09:41 PM
How about combining the eastern and western conference champions to form the USA team.

V-2
09-03-2006, 09:49 PM
The US will be fine. They will add some 3pt shooters, make sure they have good FT shooters on the floor when it counts, learn to defend the pick 'n' roll better and that's about it. Next time around they will have to play to qualify which means the team will gel and peak at the right time. I am glad Greece achieved the unachievable, but these performances cannot be sustained no matter what your team is called Spain, Argentina, or Greece.

MannyIsGod
09-03-2006, 09:53 PM
well thats what its all about isn't it? doing things right. It doesn't matter how much talent you have if you don't have the sense to use it properly. This is a team sport, and in FIBA its usually the best team that wins. Obviously if the US started playing a better team oriented style of basketball they would win every game. The point is since this is a team sport and the better team wins, why do you keep bringing up talent?

by the way "if we do it right, no one can be a better team. Thats my point. When we do things right, no one can beat our team", that applies to every team, not just the US.Ok, read what you said and go ahead ask me again why I think 3rd is a failure?

And no, it doesn't apply to every team. No other team inthe world can field this much talent.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-03-2006, 09:53 PM
I don't understand why it offends you that my expectations for my team based on their talent are so high.
Look Manny, I'm not "offended" because you think that your team could do better, I'm "offended" because you think they aught to be always first. That tells me that you don't properly respect the talent and ability of other great international teams, and that my friend is one of the main reasons the US isn't dominating right now.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Ok, read what you said and go ahead ask me again why I think 3rd is a failure?

And no, it doesn't apply to every team. No other team inthe world can field this much talent.
I wrote it Manny, I know what it says, and taken out of context yes it does suit your argument, doesn't it? Seeing as you obviously are STUCK on pimping the US talent and not willing to concede a thing, I'll just add one more thing.

The US lacks the team play, international teams lack the talent right? well so far one is apparently more important than the other, and in a scenario where team play rules all, until the US decides to work on that, they shouldn't consider themselves so far above other teams. You can play with the hypotheticals all you want, that right there is the bottom line.

MannyIsGod
09-03-2006, 10:15 PM
What do you want me to concede? I take nothing away from the teams that are obviously better teams than the United States team.

You need to go back and reread my first post in this thread. It a post doing nothing but being upset with the way our team is run and coached and has nothing to do with other teams in the world with the exception that I - and you for that matter - feel none of them have the individual talent the US does.

I'm obviously of the belief team play is important becuase it is what I want our program on. I don't get why you're even arguing with me.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-03-2006, 10:23 PM
What do you want me to concede? I take nothing away from the teams that are obviously better teams than the United States team.

You need to go back and reread my first post in this thread. It a post doing nothing but being upset with the way our team is run and coached and has nothing to do with other teams in the world with the exception that I - and you for that matter - feel none of them have the individual talent the US does.

I'm obviously of the belief team play is important becuase it is what I want our program on. I don't get why you're even arguing with me.
its just that considering the circumstances, and the fact that the US team lacks experience and therefore proper team play basics, and furthermore that they are competeing in a tournament where team play is everything, I don't see how one could be that dissapointed in third place, see where I'm coming from? You're right in that the US got to where it got on talent alone practically, but since we both agree team play is paramount in FIBA, how can you be that dissapointed in a third place?

MannyIsGod
09-03-2006, 10:28 PM
Because of the offense they ran. Because of the piss poor coaching and team selection. Because it doesn't take that much to impliment a better style of team play, and they should have learned their lesson in Athens.

They paid lip service to learning it, but they didn't.

ALVAREZ6
09-03-2006, 10:29 PM
I see where Manny is coming from and I agree with him.

If I were an American, I would feel the same was as Manny, expecting the team to come in first, nothing less, for the reasons that he stated.
Considering all the players they have to select from, and all the talent, it's almost a waste that the Americans can't find a way to play like a team, and that's where the embarassment plays in. You should be able to expect a country like the US in basketball to be able to raise a team that wins gold everytime, but they fail because they can't learn how to play like a team, and that's what you should be mad at.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Because of the offense they ran. Because of the piss poor coaching and team selection. Because it doesn't take that much to impliment a better style of team play, and they should have learned their lesson in Athens.

They paid lip service to learning it, but they didn't.
oh... nevermind, missundertanding then

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Who gives a fvck about the perception of the "NBA brand"? That commentator is seriously wacko if he thinks that for some reason corporate interests should rule the individual personal decisions of players in their own time.

Seriously, why, outside of activities directly related to their NBA contracts, should players, or anyone else, care about how Corporation NBA is percieved?

Corporations look after the profits of their shareholders and little else, so why should they have any say in this?

MannyIsGod
09-03-2006, 10:33 PM
What do you mean it's ours? And how do you know we play it more?Basketball is without a doubt played far more in this country than in any other country in the world.

ALVAREZ6
09-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Basketball is without a doubt played far more in this country than in any other country in the world.
+ the population of the US itself plays a huge role.

Think about it, roughly 300 million Americans.
50% roughly are male, so now we're down to 150.
Of those 150 million, I bet a large percentage of them played basketball in their youth, as it's one of the most popular sports here.

Argentina has roughly 40 million or so.
20 million males
Total basketball players???

Not many.

mavs>spurs2
09-03-2006, 10:37 PM
I agree with Manny. Basketball was invented and made popular in this country. While kids in other countries want to grow up to be the next great soccer player, kids in the U.S. are trying to be like Mike. Basketball is our sport and we still have the superior talent. We just need to find a better way to combine that talent with team play.

Lady M
09-03-2006, 11:39 PM
what can embarass the NBA?
- Team USA in the plane and noy on the podium
- NBA teams don't send internationnals players for international competitions

play with wade lebron and Melo together on the ground is the problem
coach K never chose a captain but 3
Lebron at 4 is stupid
respect the game and team USA can win other competitions

Kibic
09-04-2006, 01:02 AM

Of those 150 million, I bet a large percentage of them played basketball in their youth, as it's one of the most popular sports here.

20 million males

Not many.
Well...I was born in ex-Jugoslavia (Serbia, Monte Negro, Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia, Macedonia) All together 20 mio...10 mio males.
Not a large procent of us......we all play BB in school from let say 11-12 years old. Yes, there is a BB gym in every school. Every.
From 1970 NT win's 5 WC...... just 20 mio. For me it is much more suitable to compare NTeams with their best players under 18 years or under 20 years old. This is where man can see what are the products of sistematic work on a national level.

TOP_MODEL_M
09-04-2006, 06:23 AM
I agree with most of the posts. USA have always had the best talents in the world but they never seem to find a way to utilize their advantages, which is a pity. And while I've been a huge NBA and Spurs fan for more than 10 years, I found myself supporting other teams in the WC such as Argentina, Slovenia, Lithuania and Greece.I never saw that new perception of TEAM play that they were proclaiming, didn't notice much of a difference from Athens and Indi.And it was quite irritating watching LeBron, Wade and Melo shooting their lights out from the 3, playing little defence and not distributing the ball well on offense, just trying to beat the opponent with their individualities and talents ( which are undeniable ). It seemed like they haven't leant anything from their past mistakes and they seem bound to fail in the next Olympics too.
Coach K was outcoached most of the time.Team USA played a lot like Phoenix Suns rather than focussing on defence, and they found themselves hitting the wall of other teams zone defence,which was the only thing they should have avoided because they didn't have ( or actually didn't use ) their low post scorers, and in the same time didn't have enough pure shooters.
So basically I think this team wasn't built the right way.
Another thing I didn't like was the substitutions, they should have had a core of 6 or 7 players to play the majority of minutes and those constant subs didn't let them feel the float of the games.
They didn't exploit their biggest advantage - athleticism. They should have destroyed all other teams on rebounding had they played a legitimate center and a PF. I believe that had they played old school basketball and not shooting too much from the 3 point line but focusing on the low post they would have been unstoppable.

Having said this, I wouldn't want to offend any americans who love and supported their team.Seems like most of the people in this forum understand the conception of TEAM play better than the Team USA coaching staff.They never learnt from the past mistakes and if they don't change drastically I don't see the Olympics being a different story.

spurschick
09-04-2006, 08:45 AM
Personally, I think that not winning Gold was the best thing that could have happened to Team USA. Since this was touted as a "rebuilding" of sorts, winning the Gold may have given the team a false sense of complete success, causing them to slip back into complacency. I think that winning the Bronze gave them a little bit of reward for embracing the so-called "new" team philosophy, but is also, I hope, keeping them grounded in realizing that they still have more to work on.

Martin R
09-04-2006, 10:31 AM
Well...I was born in ex-Jugoslavia (Serbia, Monte Negro, Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia, Macedonia) All together 20 mio...10 mio males.
Not a large procent of us......we all play BB in school from let say 11-12 years old. Yes, there is a BB gym in every school. Every.
From 1970 NT win's 5 WC...... just 20 mio. For me it is much more suitable to compare NTeams with their best players under 18 years or under 20 years old. This is where man can see what are the products of sistematic work on a national level.

..but BB is your MAIN sport......not Argentina's which is soccer.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-04-2006, 10:48 AM
..but BB is your MAIN sport......not Argentina's which is soccer.what does Argentina have to do with anything? the point is wether or not the US is the nation in which basketball is played the most. He was just saying that in Slovenia a very high percentage of its population play basketball, more so than in Argentina

Kibic
09-04-2006, 12:20 PM
..but BB is your MAIN sport......not Argentina's which is soccer.

Wrong! There is no main sport in ex-yu countries. It realy is funny. Former Yugoslavia was WC or Olympic C. in basketball, handball, waterpolo..

sendman
09-04-2006, 03:14 PM
So, should the international allow players to play NBA ball? :spin

MaNuMaNiAc
09-04-2006, 03:47 PM
So, should the international allow players to play NBA ball? :spinhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif yeah, like that is going to make such an amazing difference http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

samikeyp
09-04-2006, 10:01 PM
If they want to play, yes.

Kori Ellis
09-04-2006, 11:32 PM
Personally, I think that not winning Gold was the best thing that could have happened to Team USA. Since this was touted as a "rebuilding" of sorts, winning the Gold may have given the team a false sense of complete success, causing them to slip back into complacency. I think that winning the Bronze gave them a little bit of reward for embracing the so-called "new" team philosophy, but is also, I hope, keeping them grounded in realizing that they still have more to work on.

I wonder if all the players on this team will want to come back again next summer and try, or if they are bitter and uninterested now.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Kobe, Amare, Marion are added to the mix.

As for the question initially asked, I cringe constantly watching it worrying that someone will get hurt. But I'm of the philosophy that if they are good basketball players, they play all summer anyway and can get hurt anytime/anywhere. So yeah, they should play if they want to do so.

THE SIXTH MAN
09-05-2006, 12:12 AM
But I'm of the philosophy that if they are good basketball players, they play all summer anyway and can get hurt anytime/anywhere. So yeah, they should play if they want to do so.
I think some people lose site of this. Ask anybody who has love for the game and they'll tell you that b-ball is year round. Id rather they play under a regulated game than street ball or any other way for that matter.

BeerIsGood!
09-05-2006, 01:04 AM

20 million males

Not many.

Girls and Women play basketball in America. A LOT of them do. Besides, how many people play the sport is irrelevant - Basketball was invented in America by an American. So it is an American sport.

Golf has pretty much been dominated by Americans for years and years (Tiger/Jack.... etc.) but the sport was invented and first played at St. Andrews in Scotland so it isn't an American sport. But we seem to love the hell out of it anyway.

Kori Ellis
09-05-2006, 01:07 AM
Girls and Women play basketball in America. A LOT of them do. Besides, how many people play the sport is irrelevant - Basketball was invented in America by an American. So it is an American sport.

Naismith was Canadian.

BeerIsGood!
09-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Naismith was Canadian.
Really? Wow, well I guess he was in Massachusetts at the time so we'll just overlook that... :lol

cheguevara
09-05-2006, 12:11 PM
I wonder if all the players on this team will want to come back again next summer and try, or if they are bitter and uninterested now.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Kobe, Amare, Marion are added to the mix.

Didn't those players Wade,Lebronze,Melo already commited to Team USA for years??? if they don't come back, they will forever be considered quitters in my book.

I beleive Marion will join them and help out. Amare will depend on how his recovery goes. But I will bet my money Kobe will never play for a team USA ever. He is all about himself, and if Team USA wants to have a shot at it, they need to play as a team. Now tell me Kobe will be a team player :lol Kobe will have a sudden "surgery" again

mabber
09-05-2006, 12:25 PM

As for the question initially asked, I cringe constantly watching it worrying that someone will get hurt. But I'm of the philosophy that if they are good basketball players, they play all summer anyway and can get hurt anytime/anywhere. So yeah, they should play if they want to do so.

I wonder this as well. No matter how interested in these world tournaments a lot of you are, there really isn't a lot of interest nationwide. Until the average fan actually cares about the results I don't see much changing. Yeah, the USA will make an effort to put together a decent team but I still don't see it being as important to our players as it is to the players of some of the other countries. Until USA fans demand a winner and voice their displeasure over not winning the gold, nothing is going to change IMO.

I visit several hoop forums and, for the most part, this is the only one still talking about this latest FIBA tournament.

Kibic
09-05-2006, 02:04 PM
I wonder this as well. No matter how interested in these world tournaments a lot of you are, there really isn't a lot of interest nationwide. Until the average fan actually cares about the results I don't see much changing. Yeah, the USA will make an effort to put together a decent team but I still don't see it being as important to our players as it is to the players of some of the other countries. Until USA fans demand a winner and voice their displeasure over not winning the gold, nothing is going to change IMO.

I visit several hoop forums and, for the most part, this is the only one still talking about this latest FIBA tournament.
Who give a S... on this WC. But whay all those tears in Carmelo's eyes!!

temujin
09-05-2006, 03:16 PM
What do you mean it's ours? And how do you know we play it more?

there aren't many Greek villages WITHOUT a basketball court.

temujin
09-05-2006, 03:19 PM
Didn't those players Wade,Lebronze,Melo already commited to Team USA for years??? if they don't come back, they will forever be considered quitters in my book.

I beleive Marion will join them and help out. Amare will depend on how his recovery goes. But I will bet my money Kobe will never play for a team USA ever. He is all about himself, and if Team USA wants to have a shot at it, they need to play as a team. Now tell me Kobe will be a team player :lol Kobe will have a sudden "surgery" again

Then, we should give back the passport to Kobe.

temujin
09-05-2006, 03:21 PM

So is baseball and "foot"ball.
Reassuring, competitionless harbours.

spurschick
09-05-2006, 03:26 PM
Basketball was invented in America by an American. So it is an American sport.

From about.com

James Naismith was the Canadian physical education instructor who invented basketball in 1891. James Naismith was born in Almonte, Ontario and educated at McGill University and Presbyterian Cllege in Montreal. He was the physical education teacher at McGill University (1887 to 1890) and at Springfield College in Springfield, Massachusetts (1890 to 1895). At Springfield College (which was then the Y.M.C.A. training school), James Naismith, under the direction of American phys-ed specialist Luther Halsey Gulick, invented the indoor sport of basketball.

The first formal rules were devised in 1892. Initially, players dribbled a soccer ball up and down a court of unspecified dimensions. Points were earned by landing the ball in a peach basket. Iron hoops and a hammock-style basket were introduced in 1893. Another decade passed, however, before the innovation of open-ended nets put an end to the practice of manually retrieving the ball from the basket each time a goal was scored.

In 1959, James Naismith was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame (called the Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame.)

temujin
09-05-2006, 03:28 PM
There are a few states in the EU whose team could be beating the hell out of any team made from SINGLE US states of comparable size.

Slovenia.
Serbia.
Croatia.
Lithania.
Greece.

Preciously little doubt about it.

temujin
09-05-2006, 03:44 PM
As for the NBA, their team loosing to Divac's Serbia or Manu's Argentina is less of a problem than to a bunch of Greeks.
The point is gathering together the best players in the world.

There is another perspective: now that the overall level in Europe is so manifestly high, why can't we keep most of the good players here and not ending up like the Brazil and Argentina of soccer?

Pero
09-05-2006, 04:22 PM
There is another perspective: now that the overall level in Europe is so manifestly high, why can't we keep most of the good players here and not ending up like the Brazil and Argentina of soccer?

One word: MONEY

Renu_
09-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Naismith was Canadian.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Renu_
09-08-2006, 10:30 AM

There is no such thing as sure win in sports. If you want sure win then join the US army.

p.s. hello to all vietnamese on these forum :lmao

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-08-2006, 10:52 AM
The only thing the NBA is concerned with is $$$, but if they are willing to look at this long term it makes good business sense. Anything that raises the fan base of basketball in general is good for the NBA. The better talent that gets sent to these international tourneys, the better the quality of the basketball, the more likely it is that the NBA can get new fans. Euros, yen, and pesos can buy a Lebron jersey just as easily as dollars can.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-08-2006, 05:47 PM

Naismith was Canadian

PWNED!

bdictjames
09-08-2006, 08:06 PM
PG LeBron
SG Kobe
SF Tracy
PF TD/KG
C Shaq

I think you better replace Shaq with Big Ben. KG will fill out the SF role and I'm sure we will win the gold if we play perfect teamball

diego
09-10-2006, 08:08 AM

you do realize brazil has only won 5 out of 18 world cups? (still 2 more than anyone else, though im not sure if italy has 4 now...)

ps: ive havent posted since arg lost to spain because of a little ski trip, work, and an anniversary, but in case anybody needed to hear it from me, congratulations to Spain, Greece, and USA for their good world cup. I still think had that nocioni 3 gone down we'd be champs, but we screwed up other possessions enough for it to come down to that. What is worrying is that Im becoming used to being eliminated by 1 fucking point! :madrun

oh and for my fellow argies, unfortunately i was right about prigioni and delfino, no le llegaron ni a los tobillos de Montechia y Sconochini. Prigioni lo entiendo mas por que es un jugador distinto, pero Delfino las tenia todas para romperla y en el partido mas importante se cago solo.

finally, i didnt see any threads on the general board, but i understand scola had a good game against the US till he fouled out?? I was on the mountain for that game, Ill have to download it now...