PDA

View Full Version : Steve Irwin dead

NASpurs
09-03-2006, 11:46 PM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20349888-2,00.html

He was killed in a freak accident in Cairns, police sources said. It is understood he was killed by a sting-ray barb that went through his chest.

He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary and that's when it occured.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality this morning at Batt Reef off Port Douglas.

http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5234736,00.jpg

dirk4mvp
09-03-2006, 11:50 PM
A sad day, Steve has died. :depressed

The Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, has died after he was stung by a stingray off the far north Queensland coast. The ambulance service says he was diving near Low Isles off Port Douglas when the incident happened around 11am AEST.
A helicopter carrying paramedics flew to the island, but he died from a stingray barb to the heart.
His next off kin are being flown from Brisbane to Cairns this afternoon.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200609/s1732439.htm

ZStomp
09-03-2006, 11:54 PM
Wow.

RashoFan
09-04-2006, 12:02 AM
Wow...He was stung through the heart by a damn stingray???? WTF???? Is this story legit or BS?

Sense
09-04-2006, 12:03 AM
RIP Crocodile Hunter..

Douche
09-04-2006, 12:03 AM
g'day, mate! oh, and crikey.

NASpurs
09-04-2006, 12:04 AM
His wiki has been updated as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Irwin

dirk4mvp
09-04-2006, 12:07 AM
This is some sad stuff. He loved animals and nature and this is how he gets payed.

katyon6th
09-04-2006, 12:07 AM
Shit, if you're gonna go out, go out big.

RIP.

dirk4mvp
09-04-2006, 12:08 AM
And I'm sorry for making the same thread. I didn't know it was made yet.

EDIT: It's been merged. :)

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-04-2006, 12:13 AM
I always liked Steve Irwin. RIP.

"Shot through the heart, and you're to blame..."

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-04-2006, 12:14 AM
Also the star of my favorite ESPN Sportscenter commericial.

RashoFan
09-04-2006, 12:15 AM
Joe, you give love a bad name....

mookie2001
09-04-2006, 12:16 AM
stingrays really hate it when you put your finger in their bunghole, like this...

dirk4mvp
09-04-2006, 12:16 AM
Also the star of my favorite ESPN Sportscenter commericial.

:tu

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-04-2006, 12:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqnVZwXQbQk&mode=related&search=

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-04-2006, 12:18 AM
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Art/COVER/060903/pic_060903_cvr_irwin2_10p.tsm368x178.jpg

"This is the most dangerous creature known to man...I'm gonna put my finger in his asshole."

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-04-2006, 12:19 AM
Damnit, Steve Irwin...why'd you have to die?

Seriously, I always liked watching his show whenever I came across it.

dirk4mvp
09-04-2006, 12:23 AM
Damnit, Steve Irwin...why'd you have to die?

Seriously, I always liked watching his show whenever I came across it.

This wouldn't mean they'd stop showing his show would it?

Party troll
09-04-2006, 12:26 AM
I'll tip my 40 to his memory

Zombie
09-04-2006, 12:33 AM
Man, what a sad day for animal lovers everywhere.
His daughter is gonna be devistated.

RashoFan
09-04-2006, 12:34 AM
This is the morbid side of being a Paramedic...I wonder if they will show the footage of the stingray hitting him and the barb penetrating his chest....That is an unbelievable way to go out. I feel bad for his family.

Zombie
09-04-2006, 12:39 AM
This is the morbid side of being a Paramedic...I wonder if they will show the footage of the stingray hitting him and the barb penetrating his chest....That is an unbelievable way to go out. I feel bad for his family.
I'm not trying to disrespect his death but I sure hope it was a BIG Stingray!
I always expected him to be killed by a super croc not a stingray!
I have been floundering and have stepped on a lot of stingrays.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-04-2006, 12:43 AM
David Williams
September 4, 2006 - 3:35PM

Television personality and environmentalist Steve Irwin has died after being stung by a stingray while filming off north Queensland.

Known worldwide as the Crocodile Hunter, the 44-year-old was famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!''.

The Queensland Police Service issued a statement saying Mr Irwin collapsed after being stung at Batt Reef, Low Isles off Port Douglas about 11am. He had been filming a documentary.

"Steve was hit by a stingray in the chest,'' said local diving operator Steve Edmondson, whose Poseidon boats were out on the Great Barrier Reef when the accident occured.

"He probably died from a cardiac arrest from the injury,'' he said.

Police said after he stingray attack, Irwin's crew called for medical treatment at 11am and the Queensland Rescue Helicopter responded with a doctor and paramedic on board.

Puncture wound

Mr Irwin had a puncture wound to the left side of his chest and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police said Mr Irwin's family has been advised and Irwin's body was being flown to Cairns.

It is believed his American-born wife Terri was trekking on Cradle Mountain in Tasmania when the incident happened.

The Irwins have two children, an eight-year-old a daughter, Bindi Sue, and a three-year-old son, Robert Clarence, usually known as Bob.

When asked if he had ever heard of anyone dying from a stingray barb Matthew Hurley, general manager of Quicksilver Group, whose company has taken tours to Low Isles for 26 years, said: "No, definitely not."

"We've never heard of or been involved with anything like that."

Ross Coleman, acting director at at University of Sydney Institute of Marine Science, told smh.com.au it was "quite rare" for someone to die from contact with a stingray and he couldn't recall hearing of another incident.

Stingrays were "dangerous if provoked", he said.

"As a recreational diving instructor you hear of people getting injured by standing on them ... but they rarely die."

Trouble over croc feeding with son

Irwin won a global following for his daredevil antics but also triggered outrage in 2004 by holding his then one-month-old baby while feeding a snapping crocodile at his Australian zoo.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, who used a photograph of his family at Australia Zoo for his official Christmas card last year, hailed Mr Irwin for his work in promoting Australia.

Mr Irwin was heavily involved in last year's "G'Day LA'' campaign.

"The minister knew him, was fond of him and was very, very appreciative of all the work he'd done to promote Australia overseas,'' a spokesman said.

The Crocodile Hunter program was first broadcast in 1992 and has been shown around the world on cable network Discovery.

Irwin came 20th last year in BRW magazine's top 50 entertainers.

The magazine said the hugely popular Crocodile Hunter spent most of 2005 filming and launching his new television series, New Breed Vets, to appear on the pay-TV channel Animal Planet.

In February, Irwin received an award for his contribution to tourism from Tourism Australia.

Over the last 12 months, he has also expanded his Australia Zoo wildlife park on the Sunshine Coast.

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/09/04/irwin1_gallery__261x400.jpg

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/09/04/irwin5_gallery__274x400.jpg

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/09/04/irwin7_gallery__277x400.jpg

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/09/04/irwin2_gallery__470x297.jpg

You know, you had to love that man's passion for animals and the environment.

mookie2001
09-04-2006, 12:48 AM
as far as deaths go, this wasnt that bad, its like a nascar driver dying in a race, he was PAID out, he died doing what he loved and he should have probably died 10 times by now

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-04-2006, 12:54 AM
sad day for his family and Australia.

Steve was a top aussie bloke and he will be missed

willie
09-04-2006, 12:56 AM
time to pour out a little fosters or penfolds

Spurminator
09-04-2006, 12:57 AM
God plays another cruel joke on us all... Steve Irwin dies, and those douchebags on "Jackass" get to keep on living.

RashoFan
09-04-2006, 12:57 AM
The way that story presents, perhaps the sudden cardiac arrest was due to the impact of the stingray... the is a "small window" if you are hit in the chest during the relative refractory period of the cardiac cycle, that can R-on-T phenomenon which leads to a lethal arrhythmia.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/RashoFan/paraarp.gif
Non-refractory Period - The time when a stimuli can depolarize myocardial tissue.

Absoulte refractory Period - The time when myocardium is unresponsive to any stimuli.

Relative Refractory Period - The time when a stimuli might induce a depolarization

RashoFan
09-04-2006, 01:00 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/09/04/irwin2_gallery__470x297.jpg

You know, you had to love that man's passion for animals and the environment.
I agree, gotta admire when someone is passionate about something they truely care for/ believe in...

Zombie
09-04-2006, 01:01 AM
as far as deaths go, this wasnt that bad, its like a nascar driver dying in a race, he was PAID out, he died doing what he loved and he should have probably died 10 times by now
Stupid comment!
A stingray death is so unusual! How many people die from stingrays in a year? My guess would be in the single digits. This is a freak accident.

dirk4mvp
09-04-2006, 01:05 AM
Something was on CNN about it.......

mookie2001
09-04-2006, 01:17 AM
Stupid comment!
A stingray death is so unusual! How many people die from stingrays in a year? My guess would be in the single digits. This is a freak accident.how many people die from crashing their nascars in a year?

Zombie
09-04-2006, 01:19 AM
how many people die from crashing their nascars in a year?
last one was 5 years ago! :rolleyes

mookie2001
09-04-2006, 01:20 AM
yeah so its a freak accident right?

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-04-2006, 01:21 AM
yeah so its a freak accident right?

You'll have to forgive Zombie. He's an idiot.

Zombie
09-04-2006, 01:25 AM
You'll have to forgive Zombie. He's an idiot. Position: Volatile Forward
Team: San Antonio Spurs
Battle Blog Record: 0-2
vBookie Cash: $25
learn how to win a battle Bro! :lol

willie
09-04-2006, 01:27 AM
his claim to fame was taped close encounters with deadly animals. so he paid the ultimate price for what gave him his fame. sad news but not that shocking, yknow?

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-04-2006, 01:29 AM
:rolleyes

You're right, I'm sorry.

What I meant to say was "stupid motherfucker."

Zombie
09-04-2006, 01:30 AM
You're right, I'm sorry.

What I meant to say was "stupid motherfucker."
0-2 on battle blog makes you a LOSER! :lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-04-2006, 01:40 AM
0-2 on battle blog makes you a LOSER! :lol

Wow...Battle Blog smack.

You, sir, are a king among men.

timvp
09-04-2006, 02:12 AM
He should have been killed be an alligator. Him getting downed by an eel or whatever is just wrong.

That'd be like if the Grizzly Man died at the hands of one of those foxes.

THE SIXTH MAN
09-04-2006, 02:40 AM
Cant say I didn't see this coming. This guy flirted with death all the time. But to go out like that with a stingray, damn at least he died doing what he likes to do with animals.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
09-04-2006, 02:41 AM
I wonder if his last word was "Crikey"

THE SIXTH MAN
09-04-2006, 02:42 AM
I wonder if his last word was "Crikey"
:lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-04-2006, 02:45 AM
Man that story is weird. Did the sting ray get a lucky as fuck shot in and put the barb into his heart, or was it just something that happened to his cardiovascular system due to the sting?

What a weird ass way to go too. I always figured it'd be a snake or croc or one of Australia's poisonous spiders.

At any rate, this sucks. He did a lot to bring awareness to nature worldwide. We'll miss ya Steve.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-04-2006, 02:50 AM
Huh. After a quick google, it sounds as though sting ray barbs to the abdominal cavity are usually fatal - all but one reported in the world have been fatal.

http://www.nswseakayaker.asn.au/mag/47/stingrays.html

Damn, I've played with sting rays several times while diving, time to nix that idea...

NZ Spurs
09-04-2006, 02:56 AM
Sharks, Jellyfish, Stingrays, Crocodiles, Spiders, Snakes.... Fuck living in Australia.

TDMVPDPOY
09-04-2006, 03:16 AM
A very sad day indeed, for his family. And it was fathers day the day b4 it also :(:( RIP steve, and god bless ur family they will strongly overcome this tragic accident.

DieMrBond
09-04-2006, 03:33 AM
He should have been killed be an alligator. Him getting downed by an eel or whatever is just wrong.

Actually, it should more likely of been a crocodile. They are bigger, and found in Australia. And the sting rays over here get freaking big.

There are so many dangerous animals over here... its a good thing hardly any of them are in the highly populated areas!

Its strange that he is so famous in America etc, hes an afterthought in Australia. Most people here are severely embarrassed by him.

But heck, you never like to see anyone go out, especially like that. RIP

But the big huh? for me is ... he has 2 kids?!? And he still kept doing that stuff...

dougp
09-04-2006, 04:49 AM
Actually, it should more likely of been a crocodile. They are bigger, and found in Australia. And the sting rays over here get freaking big.

There are so many dangerous animals over here... its a good thing hardly any of them are in the highly populated areas!

Its strange that he is so famous in America etc, hes an afterthought in Australia. Most people here are severely embarrassed by him.

But heck, you never like to see anyone go out, especially like that. RIP

But the big huh? for me is ... he has 2 kids?!? And he still kept doing that stuff...
Guess you don't remember when he took one of his kids recently into one of the croc pens there and dangled it ...

Though this is sad, you guys aware of how rare it is for this to happen? You have to wonder if the barb was thrust up and into the heart, because to pierce the bone surrounding it would have to get some nice momentum.

Solid D
09-04-2006, 06:20 AM
Guess you don't remember when he took one of his kids recently into one of the croc pens there and dangled it ...

Though this is sad, you guys aware of how rare it is for this to happen? You have to wonder if the barb was thrust up and into the heart, because to pierce the bone surrounding it would have to get some nice momentum.

That was crazy indeed but he didn't really dangle his kid. You mixed up the facts a bit. He dangled a dead chicken to feed the croc while holding his 1-month old son in the other arm. It was dumb, no doubt.

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/01/02/crocodile.baby.ap/story.1.feed.jpg

Solid D
09-04-2006, 06:27 AM
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002853.htm

He is something from the National Institutes of Health "MedicinePlus" site on Stingray sting.

Definition

This article describes the effects of a stingray sting.

Poisonous Ingredient

stingray venom
Where Found

stingrays
related species
Symptoms

body as a whole
pain and swelling of the lymph nodes in the area of the bite
bleeding
sweating
severe pain at site of sting
swelling
weakness
generalized cramps
headache
respiratory
difficulty breathing
gastrointestinal
nausea
vomiting
diarrhea
heart and blood vessels
low blood pressure
nervous system
fainting
paralysis
Home Treatment

Wash the area with salt water. Remove any foreign material at the wound site. Contact an emergency room. Soak the wound in the hottest water the patient can tolerate for 30-90 minutes, if instructed to do so.

Before Calling Emergency

Determine the following:

the patient's age, weight, and condition
the name of the marine animal
the time of the sting
the area of the body affected
Poison Control, or a local emergency number

They will instruct you if it is necessary to take the patient to the hospital, and any appropriate first aid that can be administered prior to arrival.

What to expect at the emergency room

Some or all of the following procedures may be performed:

Wash the area
Remove any foreign material possible
Soak the wound
Give anti-tetanus if necessary
Give antibiotic if necessary
Treat the symptoms
Expectations (prognosis)

Recovery usually takes about 24-48 hours. Death has occurred when the patient's chest or abdomen was punctured.

Update Date: 2/13/2006

Updated by: Eric Perez, M.D., Department of Emergency Medicine, St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.

ElMuerto
09-04-2006, 07:05 AM
Flirtin' with disaster is what he loved to do.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-04-2006, 07:08 AM
are you serious??? Steve Irwin is dead?? wow...

angel_luv
09-04-2006, 08:07 AM
Wow that is shocking and upsetting. Condolences to his family.

JoeChalupa
09-04-2006, 08:12 AM
It was very sad to hear indeed. I'm throwing another shrimp on the barbie in his memory.

Zunni
09-04-2006, 08:40 AM
Condolences to his family. I'm with the "It was only a matter of time.." crowd, though. The previous comparison to MTV's Jackass is not unwarranted. The Crocodile Hunter show WAS Jackass for the Aussie-phile crowd. He took extremely foolish chances with wild animals, IMO, and his family must now pay the price. RIP Steve.

Sonia_TX
09-04-2006, 09:36 AM
This makes me very sad. I loved him and his accent (I have a thing for Australian accents...haha). :(

R.I.P. Steve.

ObiwanGinobili
09-04-2006, 09:39 AM
wow.
that is awfull! man i feel so sorry for his family. Littel Bindi is going to be heartbroken - and Bob is only 3! He will hardly remember his dad! :cry :cry

mna this sucks - I loved me some crocodile hunter.
He made me want to take a god awful 26 hour flight to australia.

leemajors
09-04-2006, 10:08 AM

it did go up and under his ribcage.

AlamoSpursFan
09-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Condolences to his family. I'm with the "It was only a matter of time.." crowd, though. The previous comparison to MTV's Jackass is not unwarranted. The Crocodile Hunter show WAS Jackass for the Aussie-phile crowd. He took extremely foolish chances with wild animals, IMO, and his family must now pay the price. RIP Steve.

On the other hand, had he NOT taken those foolish chances of which you speak, he wouldn't be famous...we wouldn't be discussing his assuming of room temperature...and his family wouldn't be as rich as they no doubt are today.

Just playing a wee bit of Devil's Advocate there...

dougp
09-04-2006, 10:47 AM
it did go up and under his ribcage.
Alright, makes sense too, if he was petting it or handling it off the floor.

To the guy who said that he didn't dangle the baby, I had seen the video and while he wasn't "dangling," I thought he had put it closer than that ... if not, my mistake!

Also, to the people who said it was a matter of time because of what he did ... seriously, if it wasn't for people like him and his crew, we wouldn't know what we do today about these animals. The man deserves much gratitude for the work he's done, and what this will provide for the Zoo & his conservation & rescue groups. Let's just hope people don't go all nuts about how we'll all be killed by stingrays taking over the world!

ashbeeigh
09-04-2006, 10:54 AM
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/RashoFan/paraarp.gif
Non-refractory Period - The time when a stimuli can depolarize myocardial tissue.

Oh I love you, with that picture. :D The whople cycle takes like 5 miliseconds in one neuron so it would have had to been a quick death and he wouldn't have suffered at all.

Anyway, all I thought when i heard about this this morning was "Oh shit."

Spam
09-04-2006, 11:04 AM
he could have used these
http://www.jerrylabella.com/stingray.html#light

http://local.aaca.org/siraaca/images/1976_CORVETTE_STINGRAY.jpg

you have to admit stingrays are badass.

His was no road kill.

Duncan21
09-04-2006, 11:05 AM
when i found out a tear ran down my eye, i was in shock this guy was a hero and a legend. i don't know how he didn't die a Sir Steve Irwin

Duff McCartney
09-04-2006, 11:06 AM
I don't buy that it was only a matter of time crap or he had it coming.

That's like saying a firefighter or a cop who gets killed in the line of duty had it coming. His passion in life was animals and to educate others, and I'm pretty sure he knew the risks.

Zunni
09-04-2006, 11:19 AM
He DID take foolish chances. You can educate people about wild animals without jumping on their backs and riding them or otherwise pissing them off in general. The comparison to Emergency personnel is not valid. Most of them are VERY careful in their jobs and take no unnecessary risks. The jobs themselves are dangerous. Irwin MADE his job dangerous. There are plenty of animal educators on TV who don't take ridiculous chances and pull stupid stunts.

RashoFan
09-04-2006, 11:27 AM
He DID take foolish chances. You can educate people about wild animals without jumping on their backs and riding them or otherwise pissing them off in general. The comparison to Emergency personnel is not valid. Most of them are VERY careful in their jobs and take no unnecessary risks. The jobs themselves are dangerous. Irwin MADE his job dangerous. There are plenty of animal educators on TV who don't take ridiculous chances and pull stupid stunts.
MOST OF US ARE CAREFUL, THERE ARE THOSE WHO ARE "WHOO-WHOO" AND DO STUPID STUFF AND HURT THEMSELVES OR THEIR PARTNER.... sorry to hijack this thread.

Big P
09-04-2006, 11:27 AM
CNN said he was above the stingray & the barb went at a weird angle under his ribcage & punctured his heart.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-04-2006, 11:38 AM
He took extremely foolish chances with wild animals, IMO, and his family must now pay the price. RIP Steve.

I don't think you can call it foolish. His dad did the same thing and taught him how to work with these animals, and he had worked with them all his life.

While it may seem absolutely insane watching him do what he did to you or me, many that work with those types of animals every day do the same thing.

He just had the flair and charisma to bring it to the television and educate the world on what most of us would just as soon see dead the moment we are within any proximity of them.

To give his death perspective, you can go to places like the Cayman Islands, Cancun, Cozumel, Belize, and the Bahamas and dive in a school of stingrays.

No one's ever been hurt in these ventures, and you're talking about having 20 sting rays swarming and swimming around a group of 20-30 divers multiple times a day.

http://www.advanceassociates.us/db4/00301/advanceassociates.us/_uimages/StingRayAlleyGrandCayman.jpg

whottt
09-04-2006, 11:58 AM
A Stingray Barb:

http://files.tellmewhereonearth.com/Photos%20Fossils/stingray%20barb-australia.JPG

I can see how getting one of those driven into your chest could be fatal.

Aggie, I've been to Stingray City in Jamaica and, I believe, Cancun...that picture brings back some fun memories.

It's really fun and those animals are not hostile towards man at all...they'll swim right up to you and touch you with their wings/fins....and when you feed them they are like vacum cleaners, they just suck the food out of your hand. Really friendly animals.

I imagine one of those killing him was probably the last thing on Irwin's mind...and his documentary was probably going to be about how friendly and tame they are.

whottt
09-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Oh and RIP...he was a really likeable guy and his shows were a lot of fun to watch.

Solid D
09-04-2006, 12:08 PM
That's a really long barb, whottt. I found a couple of other pics. The barb here is smaller but you can see what kind of hole it can make.

http://www.jerrylabella.com/stingray/barb.jpg

http://www.jerrylabella.com/stingray/sting1.jpg

SpursWoman
09-04-2006, 12:11 PM
That is so, so awful. :( :depressed

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-04-2006, 12:15 PM
I imagine one of those killing him was probably the last thing on Irwin's mind...and his documentary was probably going to be about how friendly and tame they are.

Yeah, here's the heartbreaker on this one. I read a story online from one of the Australian papers that said he was filming an episode that was going to focus on his eight year old daughter and about the gentle creatures that children could interact with, and one of them was supposed to be the sting ray.

Sad.

I agree about the ray alley stuff, I've had them slide over my face and mask before on one of those dives in Belize. I admit that I thought about the stinger on it's back, but they are so used to be people it wasn't a big deal and I never felt scared.

NASpurs
09-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Here's a pic of one of those barbs taken out of a turtle. That's some serious damage right there.

http://www.seaturtlehospital.org/raybarb1.jpg

NASpurs
09-04-2006, 12:25 PM
10 minute Australian news reel talking about his life and what happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8h6yXREbV0

J.T.
09-04-2006, 12:26 PM
Son of a bitch! I was just impersonating him on the phone yesterday...talk about bad timing. I loved his shows so much. This is a fucking terrible day.

Zunni
09-04-2006, 12:39 PM
We're just not going to agree on this, AH. I don't buy that because his dad did it that was safe or sane behavior, and this sad incident backs me up. I also don't see many people doing the same things he did for public consumption. Any copycats who might be will be given pause by this tragedy.

I don't see him as some great animal scientist, although he might have been. What he did on TV was irritate the animals until he provoked one of their attack/predatory/defensive responses. That ultimately cost him his life.

ALVAREZ6
09-04-2006, 12:42 PM
That sucks.

But it was bound to happen, this guy was always with the most dangerous creatures in the world. He used to dive into rivers at night with no visibility trying to catch crocs/gators, he handled I don't know how many different venomous snakes that easily have enough venom in one bite to kill him, so considering all the crap he's done, he made it pretty far.

That sucks though, I was a Crocodile Hunter fan.

RIP Steve Irwin

Melmart1
09-04-2006, 12:43 PM
How did irritating a sting ray cause him his life? It sounds like a freak accident to me. Nowhere does it say that he was provoking the animals in any way.

Though I can see the point of those who say 'he had it coming' (though I do not agree at all), right now is not the time to say that. Someone who meant a lot to a whole lot of people is DEAD and perhaps your little taunts are better left for later or perhaps they should just be kept to yourself.

I am willing to bet he has saved dozens of lives of people who used info they learned from his various shows to save thier own lives or the lives of others. Perhaps a little reverence is due for this reason alone, not to mention that fact that a father, husband and son who led a good life is dead.

Duncan21
09-04-2006, 12:52 PM
We're just not going to agree on this, AH. I don't buy that because his dad did it that was safe or sane behavior, and this sad incident backs me up. I also don't see many people doing the same things he did for public consumption. Any copycats who might be will be given pause by this tragedy.

I don't see him as some great animal scientist, although he might have been. What he did on TV was irritate the animals until he provoked one of their attack/predatory/defensive responses. That ultimately cost him his life.

you don't know what you are talking about so shut up, he was a great man that educated people and did amazing things for animals and the enviroment. stop messing up this thread, and just let people pay their respects to an amazing human being!

ALVAREZ6
09-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Though I can see the point of those who say 'he had it coming' (though I do not agree at all), right now is not the time to say that. Someone who meant a lot to a whole lot of people is DEAD and perhaps your little taunts are better left for later or perhaps they should just be kept to yourself.

It's true though, what I said is nothing close to an attack at him, I was a fan of his show. All I simply said was that it was bound to happen because of the lethal animals he was always dealing with.

But that isn't taking anything away from what I think of him.

Zunni
09-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Nowhere does it say that he was provoking the animals in any way.
Mel, I'm going by what I see on his shows. He DOES provoke animals. He grabs them, jumps on them, and is a general irritant, or was.

This was not a ray from a feeding area, used to human contact. They said he was swimming above it. Perhaps it interpreted him as a predator on the attack, and acted on that. I'm sad for his family, but he took the risks and paid the price. Now his little boy will grow up without a dad. You see it as sad. I see it as sad and totally unnecessary, a waste. Plenty of people educate the public about animals without putting them into a headlock.

Melmart1
09-04-2006, 12:57 PM
It's true though, what I said is nothing close to an attack at him, I was a fan of his show. All I simply said was that it was bound to happen because of the lethal animals he was always dealing with.

But that isn't taking anything away from what I think of him.
Actually, I wasn't referring to you, Alvarez :lol It is obvious you have some reverence for him. I was speaking of those who give the impression of pissing on his memory, which you clearly are not.

Duncan21
09-04-2006, 01:01 PM
Mel, I'm going by what I see on his shows. He DOES provoke animals. He grabs them, jumps on them, and is a general irritant, or was.

This was not a ray from a feeding area, used to human contact. They said he was swimming above it. Perhaps it interpreted him as a predator on the attack, and acted on that. I'm sad for his family, but he took the risks and paid the price. Now his little boy will grow up without a dad. You see it as sad. I see it as sad and totally unnecessary, a waste. Plenty of people educate the public about animals without putting them into a headlock.

doing what he did was his life, why would he stop doing something that made him who he is, he was doing this at a very young age, this is what he loved to do.

their is alway one idiot in a thread

LaMarcus Bryant
09-04-2006, 01:04 PM
"You can only dodge a bullet for so long"

--pimpo, e.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-04-2006, 01:04 PM

There's God knows how many copy cats with shows on Discover and Animal Planet.

He also did a lot of animal relocation, to take big crocs/snakes and move them away from population centers where they could have killed or injured people, and probably been killed themselves (the animals), a win-win situation for both man and animal.

He also had the premier croc rehabilitation clinic in the world. But yeah, I can see how someone who probably only knows him from the jokes people used to make about his shows would draw the conclusions you have :rolleyes

Further, I haven't seen a report yet that said he was interacting with it. Actually, I just found this on CNN:

"He came over the top of a stingray that was buried in the sand, and the barb came up and hit him in the chest," Irwin's manager John Stainton said.

As a diver, I generally like to kick along maybe 1-2 feet off the bottom, you get to see more stuff that way and you catch the little things that most people miss. It may very well be that he never saw what hit him, sting rays are experts at camoflaging themselves in the sand.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-04-2006, 01:07 PM
He was hit by a bull ray, for some perspective:

http://www.julianrocks.net/sharks/elasmopics/raypics/bullRay.jpg

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Steve Irwin jumping on alligator (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqnVZwXQbQk&mode=related&search=)

I still miss that man and all my family was shocked at the news when they found out.

ashbeeigh
09-04-2006, 01:09 PM
10 minute Australian news reel talking about his life and what happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8h6yXREbV0

Did y'all hear that little bit towards the end that mentioned it was a day after Father's Day over there? Oh my gosh. That was a really good youtube.

Zunni
09-04-2006, 01:18 PM
"You can only dodge a bullet for so long"

--pimpo, e.
I guess that's my point, in a nutshell.

their is alway one idiot in a thread
I think you've been spotted.

IceColdBrewski
09-04-2006, 01:19 PM
I always thought he'd die from a snake bite. Dude would aggitate, and toy with deadly snakes like it was some sort of game. I saw a few close calls, and figured it was only a matter of time before one of them landed a lucky strike.

Can't say I'm all that suprised. Sad situation though.

Zunni
09-04-2006, 01:22 PM
I always thought he'd die from a snake bite. Dude would aggitate, and toy with deadly snakes like it was some sort of game. I saw a few close calls, and figured it was only a matter of time before one of them landed a lucky strike.

Hater. How dare you point out his recklessness? This is the time to canonize him. :blah

Melmart1
09-04-2006, 01:26 PM
Nobody is looking for cannonization. He is far from a saint. But a little reverence for a man who educated many and did some good for many communities and the environment would be nice. Just a little. Maybe let his body get cold before you let the snarky "i-told-you-so's" and what not. But to each their own.

boutons_
09-04-2006, 03:09 PM
His style was way over the top for me, too hyper-ventilating, too manic, too meth-fueled, as if he thought his audience, apparently mostly kids or childish adults, would switch off if an adult spoke and acted like an ... adult. I often wondered what kind of message he sent to kids about acceptable adult behavior. He was pretty confusing, maybe confused? Were his shows about him, or about the animals? They certainly weren't lessons about how to act near dangerous animals.

His stunts were often in the MTV "Jackass" genre, aka "watch how fucking cretinous I can be with these dangerous animals for no point whatsoever", or "watch me outdo MJ-dangle-baby-over-balcony". I think it only fair that they show what he or his crew was doing to provoke an attack by a sting ray, apparently an animal that is quite passive. Maybe it will show up someday on YouTube. Win some, lose one. I'm sure the advertizers would pay many $millions for that epilogue. Sorry for his family. Apparently, his success means that they are financially secure.

Apparently he did reach a millions of people, and off TV, did a lot for good for wildlife conservation.

Phenomanul
09-04-2006, 03:19 PM

He exposed people to the 'human' side of these creatures so that they wouldn't be perceived only as monsters.... Usually he would pick them up... show them to the world, explain a few things about the species, and put them back in their surroundings. There was nothing wrong with that.

CharlieMac
09-04-2006, 03:26 PM
I hope they show that South Park episode he was in soon. I don't remember it too well.

Solid D
09-04-2006, 03:43 PM
http://www.oceanfootage.com/stockfootage/Bull_Ray_Footage/owner%3Dhappyisland//?DVfSESSCKIE=11a5c40ffad0c68e5da087b5745524f357358 d8b

You can see the barb about halfway down the tail on 2 of these clips (2 and 4).

ALVAREZ6
09-04-2006, 03:56 PM

What you have just said is exactly what I said when someone told me the news that he died.

I was like "let me guess, snake bite?"

I always thought a viper, cobra, black mamba or any other dangerous ass snake would really test his reflexes, and he would fail. I thought it was just bound to happen, and I wasn't suprised at all when I heard that he died.

That sucks though, I liked the guy and his shows. Too bad for his wife and kid/s, I bet his wife was there when it happened, she was always with him on his Crocodile Hunter show.

IceColdBrewski
09-04-2006, 03:59 PM
He exposed people to the 'human' side of these creatures ...

There is no "human side" to these creatures. Only wild instinctual animals. That's the problem with guys like Steve Irwan and Grizzly Man. They didn't understand that there's a line between man and wild animals that was never meant to be crossed. Both of them crossed that line way too often, and it eventually cost them their lives.

Like I said before, it's a sad situation. He deserves all the credit in the world for educating people on all the animals he jumped and rode on. But lets not try and turn the guy into a saint for venturing into the lion's den one too many times.

thispego
09-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Steve Irwn's "crocodile hunter" persona was not some show, he was that person in real life and he loved what he did. He felt his life and work made a difference for the world and he was more passionate about it than any person I have ever seen. The man did great things with the time he had and I admire him for it.

Billy Cobham
09-04-2006, 04:13 PM
This sucks. I loved The Crocodile Hunter show. Steve was a crazy mofo though.

Lee
09-04-2006, 04:23 PM
very sorry to hear

i meet him one time here in china

Duncan21
09-04-2006, 04:48 PM
tribute video, scroll down a bit

http://www.iansvivarium.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.html

Sonia_TX
09-04-2006, 06:12 PM
Are any of you guys watching the Crocodile Hunter shows that are on Animal Planet right now? This is the second one and I haven't stopped crying since it started. They're interviewing him and asked what his saddest moment was and it was when his mom died in a car accident in 2000 (the show was taped in 2004). Then he talked about how he wants his kids to take over doing what he's doing and that he'll stand back and watch them and it will be the greatest moment in his life and he's got tears on his face. Just so sad.

Phenomanul
09-04-2006, 06:37 PM
There is no "human side" to these creatures. Only wild instinctual animals. That's the problem with guys like Steve Irwan and Grizzly Man. They didn't understand that there's a line between man and wild animals that was never meant to be crossed. Both of them crossed that line way too often, and it eventually cost them their lives.

Like I said before, it's a sad situation. He deserves all the credit in the world for educating people on all the animals he jumped and rode on. But lets not try and turn the guy into a saint for venturing into the lion's den one too many times.

Who said anything about making him a saint?? I was arguing against the notion that he went about his business with a 'jackass' attitude. He was an entertainer...yes. But first and foremost, he was an educator.

BTW if I put quotes around the word 'human' was to emphasize the parallelism that something need not be physically human to be compared to a human.

RashoFan
09-04-2006, 06:45 PM
Steve Irwn's "crocodile hunter" persona was not some show, he was that person in real life and he loved what he did. He felt his life and work made a difference for the world and he was more passionate about it than any person I have ever seen. The man did great things with the time he had and I admire him for it.
Nicely said...I agree!!!

RashoFan
09-04-2006, 06:46 PM
Are any of you guys watching the Crocodile Hunter shows that are on Animal Planet right now? This is the second one and I haven't stopped crying since it started. They're interviewing him and asked what his saddest moment was and it was when his mom died in a car accident in 2000 (the show was taped in 2004). Then he talked about how he wants his kids to take over doing what he's doing and that he'll stand back and watch them and it will be the greatest moment in his life and he's got tears on his face. Just so sad.
I was watching that as well, I didn't want to be crying for the next hour so I decided to go online and turn off the TV.

Sonia_TX
09-04-2006, 07:14 PM
Smart thinking RashoFan. I cried during both shows (they're replaying the first one right now).

dirk4mvp
09-04-2006, 07:35 PM

I'm watching it now. It's kinda hard to watch. I just can't believe the man is gone.

mookie2001
09-04-2006, 07:44 PM
charles darwins turtle, harriet died this year too

Steve Irwin
09-04-2006, 07:45 PM
crikey mate rip myself

ALVAREZ6
09-04-2006, 07:47 PM
crikey mate rip myself
Dude, WTF, you're a fuckin asshole.

I bet this is Fillmoe.

dirk4mvp
09-04-2006, 07:48 PM
crikey mate rip myself

My God dude, that's sick.

angel_luv
09-04-2006, 07:49 PM
crikey mate rip myself

:rolleyes :nope
Although, the troll appearance actually took longer than I anticipated.

CharlieMac
09-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Yeah dude, you gotta wait two days before you do the alter. Just like calling a girl you met at the bar.

spurs=bling
09-04-2006, 08:27 PM
:(

i really liked his show, i still can't believe he is dead.

Fillmoe
09-04-2006, 08:32 PM
Dude, WTF, you're a fuckin asshole.

I bet this is Fillmoe.

like Camron would say..... "YOU MAD?"

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Some of you cynics are some sick fucks. Boutons, it doesn't surprise me at all. You hate anything not in the name of the jihad.

And NorCal, creating the Steve Irwin nickname is sick. I hope you get bit by a fire ant and die.

dirk4mvp
09-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Some of you cynics are some sick fucks. Boutons, it doesn't surprise me at all. You hate anything not in the name of the jihad.

And NorCal, creating the Steve Irwin nickname is sick. I hope you get bit by a fire ant and die.

As clearly stated by Fillmoe, he's the Steve troll.

And it's all sick shit.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-04-2006, 09:03 PM
As clearly stated by Fillmoe, he's the Steve troll.

And it's all sick shit.

Considering AHF can see IP addresses, and well, you're an idiot kid, I think I believe AHF.

dirk4mvp
09-04-2006, 09:12 PM
Considering AHF can see IP addresses, and well, you're an idiot kid, I think I believe AHF.

Thanks dipshit. :tu

My fault for not keeping up with who the mods are.

samikeyp
09-04-2006, 09:15 PM
RIP Bloke.

MannyIsGod
09-04-2006, 09:17 PM
We should have more people who are less passionate about what they do and are never willing to do anything but a boring desk job. In fact, I think anyone who displays a shred of personality should just be taken out and shot. Lets see if they like that form of risk taking.

Dodge bullets fuckers!

RIP Steve Irwin, the world is more boring without you.

whottt
09-04-2006, 10:13 PM
He tells his camera crew to always be filming. If he needs help, he will ask for it. Even if he is eaten by a shark or croc, the main thing he wants is that it be filmed. If he died, he would be sad if no one got it on tape.

whottt
09-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Personal quotes
"If something ever happens to me, people are gonna be like 'we knew a croc would get him!'"

Looks like he had the boutons and brewski type figured out long ago...

Rip-Hamilton32
09-04-2006, 10:18 PM
im not saying he deserves this but don't forget this guy hung his baby over a croc pit.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-04-2006, 10:19 PM
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20355112-601,00.html

Fuck, they said that he actually pulled the barb out of his chest before he passed out. Crazy....

dougp
09-04-2006, 10:19 PM

There's a gentle side to these creatures, and someone needs to show people what they're dealing with ... he's very methodical, and knows what pisses them off. He can explain to people should they perhaps stumble across them, this is what you do to get away!

I respect the man, and what he did - he was awesome with his job. But a lot of you guys are just fuckin jerks ... would you say the same thing about an athlete who dies on the football field or from a heart attack after running a marathon? "Lyke omg guys, that fuseball dude gets knocked around, it was only a matter of time till he landed on his neck!!!" or "holy crap, that dude was in such good shape, it was only a matter of time till his heart exploded!"

The Murderer
09-04-2006, 10:29 PM
RIP

Melmart1
09-04-2006, 10:42 PM
im not saying he deserves this but don't forget this guy hung his baby over a croc pit.
:rolleyes He never hung his baby over a croc pit. :rolleyes That one stunt he did while holding his baby was stupid, yes. But the man is dead, let's have a little respect, people.

mookie2001
09-04-2006, 10:45 PM
how was that not showing respect?

Melmart1
09-04-2006, 10:46 PM
how was that not showing respect?
Talking out of your ass and telling blatant lies like "he dangled his baby over a croc pit" when that's not what happened is disrespectful.

mookie2001
09-04-2006, 11:01 PM
this is same website where people use emotocons in "i just had a miscarriage" "lamar odoms baby dies" "player x's 19 year old brother murdered" threads

Melmart1
09-04-2006, 11:12 PM
I am not sure what that has to do with this thread, and just asking for some common decency. I know you don't always get decency on the internet, but is that supposed to stop you from trying?

mookie2001
09-04-2006, 11:15 PM
im just saying pick your battles, there are shitload of subjects addressed with much less "respect", and irwin came closer to dangling his baby over a croc pit than most infant parents have

bigzak25
09-04-2006, 11:21 PM
Godbless you Steve...

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-04-2006, 11:41 PM
For perspective, or maybe it will make a difference with the jackasses on this thread.

Money from the crocodile hunter shows was spent on buying huge parcels of land all over the world to protect natural habitat of widelife, and his australia zoo facilities has the largest animal hospital in the country and the zoo itself employed over 500 local staff.

Yeah, what a dumb sonuvabitch, he had it coming :rolleyes

Melmart1
09-04-2006, 11:43 PM
im just saying pick your battles, there are shitload of subjects addressed with much less "respect", and irwin came closer to dangling his baby over a croc pit than most infant parents have
Maybe you should heed your own advice. Why did you pick this battle? And why do you care if I am asking people to have some reverence for a dead man?

midgetonadonkey
09-05-2006, 12:16 AM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f70/mxermadman/steve.gif

midgetonadonkey
09-05-2006, 12:16 AM
Damn, I'm going to hell.

Melmart1
09-05-2006, 12:18 AM
Yes, you are.

CuckingFunt
09-05-2006, 12:19 AM
Damn, I'm going to hell. All you have to do is stop believing in hell, and then it gets much easier to live with.

slayermin
09-05-2006, 12:22 AM
This sux. RIP, Crocodile Hunter.

Kori Ellis
09-05-2006, 12:25 AM
Midget -- keep that kind of stuff in the Troll Forum, thanks.

I didn't care for Irwin at all and I don't think I (or anyone else) needs to like him or kiss up for his "accomplishments" just because he died.

But have a little bit of respect for the loss to his family.

midgetonadonkey
09-05-2006, 12:28 AM
Midget -- keep that kind of stuff in the Troll Forum, thanks.

Sorry.

boutons_
09-05-2006, 04:00 AM
"Tape reveals Irwin's last moment

Videotape of the moment Steve Irwin was hit by a stingray's tail shows the Australian naturalist pulling the venom-coated barb from his chest.

"The tail came up, and spiked him here [in the chest], and he pulled it out and the next minute he's gone," Mr Irwin's manager, John Stainton, said.

Queensland state police have now taken the tape to be used in an inquest into the incident on the Great Barrier Reef.

The much-loved TV star could be given a state funeral if his family agree."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5314918.stm

Slomo
09-05-2006, 04:39 AM
For perspective, or maybe it will make a difference with the jackasses on this thread.

Money from the crocodile hunter shows was spent on buying huge parcels of land all over the world to protect natural habitat of widelife, and his australia zoo facilities has the largest animal hospital in the country and the zoo itself employed over 500 local staff.

Yeah, what a dumb sonuvabitch, he had it coming :rolleyesI remember an interview I saw, where he was saying that he realized he had to act crazy to generate interest which in turn generated money. And money is what he was after because he had a bunch of plans for building habitats for endangered species.

I never liked his show, but I respect the man and what he was trying to achieve.

RIP Steve.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
09-05-2006, 05:17 AM
I wasn't a huge fan or anything, but I respect that he was a conservationist and put the money to good use.

tlongII
09-05-2006, 09:39 AM
Irwin was an interesting guy who did a great deal for the environment and various species of fauna. His show was very entertaining and I am very sad that he has died. However, it does not bother me to see people trolling his "death thread." Dude was craaazy!

CavsSuperFan
09-05-2006, 10:04 AM
Stingrays are a very important part of our fishing, gaming and ecosystem....Amateurs should keep their distance....Those that care about these precious creatures catch & release them after punching holes in their bodies with a homemade device to make scallops...

It is fun to watch them swim with all those holes in their wings.... (Don’t worry, they grow back & in fact the meat even more tender the following year!) :smokin

dougp
09-05-2006, 10:06 AM
Stingrays are a very important part of our fishing, gaming and ecosystem....Amateurs should keep their distance....Those that care about these precious creatures catch & release them after punching holes in their bodies with a homemade device to make scallops...

It is fun to watch them swim with all those holes in their wings.... (Don’t worry, they grow back & in fact the meat even more tender the following year!) :smokin
All of a sudden I want to punch holes in your body ...

CavsSuperFan
09-05-2006, 10:07 AM
You don't eat fish? :oops

dougp
09-05-2006, 10:27 AM
You don't eat fish? :oops
I don't eat seafood ... but your comment could have been a different post. Already knew about it, but eh.

Taco
09-05-2006, 12:05 PM
:cry

cheguevara
09-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Ev'ry day the bucket a-go-a well One day the bottom a-go drop out

themvp
09-05-2006, 02:02 PM
R.I.P. Steve.

Sonia_TX
09-06-2006, 07:02 AM
http://i5.tinypic.com/2u8ecuu.jpg

Steve Irwin poses for a picture for marie claire Australia's september issue for their father's day tribute. Australian father's day is celebrated in September, which was last sunday.

The text:

Steve: "The most important thing in Bindi's life is that she's grown up in a zoo. Crikey, we're all over the crocs, the snakes, the birds, the turtles, the kangaroos and the koalas. Bindi's passionate about animals, but she's also into singing, dancing and dress-ups, like any other girl.

We were up in Cape York Peninsula catching crocodiles and this particular croc that I'd caught was over four metres and he was scary! Bindi walks down from the camp to find me hanging off this crocodile and says, 'Excuse me, Daddy, when you're finished here could you please come back to the camp and play with Barbie?' So when I finished with the croc, I went back to camp and played with the Barbie dolls. I'd do anything to spend time with my daughter."

Bindi: "I love that he's funny, he's entertaining and he's always there when I need him most. I'm proud to have a dad like that, who takes on conservation issues around the world. I love him very, very much."

Source: marie claire

That just breaks my heart!

mcornelio
09-06-2006, 08:03 AM
Ev'ry day the bucket a-go-a well One day the bottom a-go drop outlol... someone actually quoted me in their sig... should i be proud or ashamed?

sa_butta
09-06-2006, 08:14 AM
I heard on the radio that they may actually release the video of him being killed. I think the family wants it to be seen as one of Steves wishes. Saying he always wanted to keep the camera rolling no matter how edgy or graphic it may get. Im curious to know how many people actually want to see it?

johnsmith
09-06-2006, 08:27 AM
I heard on the radio that they may actually release the video of him being killed. I think the family wants it be seen as one of Steves wishes. Saying he always wanted to keep the camera rolling no matter how edgy or graphic it may get. Im curious to know how many people actually want to see it?

Are you kidding me. As sad as it is and all, this gives us a chance to see a stingray stab someone in the heart and that is awesome. Shit like that usually only happens in the movies, I'd love to see it.

ObiwanGinobili
09-06-2006, 09:04 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14690979/

'Croc Hunter's' father says he lost his best mate
Bob Irwin refuses state funeral for Steve, saying he was an 'ordinary bloke'

Updated: 4:19 a.m. CT Sept 6, 2006
SYDNEY - Steve Irwin’s father said on Wednesday he lost his best mate when the TV naturalist known as the “Crocodile Hunter” died in a freak diving accident, adding that his son would hate the fuss of a state funeral.

In the first public comments by Irwin’s family since his death on Monday while diving off Australia’s northeast coast, Bob Irwin thanked his son’s many fans from Australia and around the world for their messages of condolence.

“Steve and I weren’t like father and son, we never were,” Bob Irwin told reporters outside Australia Zoo, the animal park in tropical Queensland state known to his son’s millions of viewers around the world.

“We were good mates. I’ll remember Steve as my best mate ever,” he said.
Irwin, 44, died after the serrated barb of a stingray’s tail pierced his heart.

He had flirted with death many times on his “Crocodile Hunter” documentaries, seen by 200 million people, wrestling with some of the world’s most dangerous creatures.

“Both of us over the years have had some very close shaves,” Bob Irwin said outside the zoo his son took over from him.

“We made jokes of it. That’s not to say that we were careless but we treated it like it was just part of the job,” he said.

News of Irwin’s death clogged Internet news sites and drew tributes from around the world. Prime Minister John Howard interrupted parliament on Tuesday to pay tribute to him, saying he was distressed by the loss of a remarkable Australian.

Irwin’s death continued to dominate local newspapers, with the tabloid Daily Telegraph devoting seven pages to the story as well as a full-page color poster on Wednesday.

'Just an ordinary bloke'
Authorities have offered Irwin’s grieving family a state funeral but Bob Irwin, dressed in khaki shirt and shorts like those his son made famous, said they were unlikely to accept.

“The state funeral would be refused ... because he’s an ordinary guy, he’s just an ordinary bloke,” Bob Irwin said.

Irwin is survived by his U.S.-born wife, Terri, and two young children. Terri Irwin has thanked staff at Australia Zoo for their support but has not spoken publicly since his death.

“Terri’s holding up very well, considering,” Bob Irwin said.

Bob Irwin, who taught Irwin how to handle dangerous animals, said he was burying a cow which had died while calving on his farm when he heard of his son’s death.

He said that his son had died doing something he loved.

“That’s a lot better than getting hit by a bus. But there is no comfort for me at this stage in anything at all.”

CosmicCowboy
09-06-2006, 11:13 AM
That has got to be an excruciatingly painful way to die.I've seen grown men bawl like babies getting hit on the foot while fishing...

CosmicCowboy
09-06-2006, 11:14 AM
That has got to be an excruciatingly painful way to die.I've seen grown men bawl like babies getting hit on the ankle while fishing...

ObiwanGinobili
09-06-2006, 01:26 PM
cosmic.. why did you just quote yourself?

CosmicCowboy
09-06-2006, 05:13 PM
cosmic.. why did you just quote yourself?

ugh...I was trying to edit and quoted instead...not sure how it happened...and Kori has the "delete" function disabled so I couldn't correct it...

K1NGSFAN
01-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Didn't Steve Irwin just post here yesterday?

Steve Irwin
01-16-2008, 07:06 PM
Didn't Steve Irwin just post here yesterday?
Indeed!

I'm still here!

midgetonadonkey
01-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Indeed!

I'm still here!

Unfortunately you are still here.