PDA

View Full Version : Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick

j-6
09-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Carroll went, in order, 10-6; 9-7; and 8-8 before getting shitcanned in '99 by the Patriots. Belichick, after going 5-11 in 2000, wins three Super Bowls from '01 to '04 and is now masturbatory material for all of greater Boston and New England.

Of course, Pete Carroll is something ridiculous like 55-10 with both a BCS and an AP title at USC. Remember, Carroll was SC's fourth or fifth choice and he actually had to campaign to get hired there.

Now, the exercise - switch the two around. Could these mini-dynasties have occurred with Pete Carroll coaching the Patriots and Bill Belichick the head honcho at Southern Cal?

Solid D
09-04-2006, 06:02 PM
The Pete Principle.

Solid D
09-04-2006, 06:06 PM
I'll answer it with a question. Is Bill Belichick a good recruiter? Pete Carroll seems to have proven that he is a good one.

Mr Dio
09-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Pete Carroll win Super Bowls in NE?
Doubt it, but who knows for sure.

50 cent
09-04-2006, 07:42 PM
No, some coaches are just more suited for the college game and others for the Pro game. Saban seems to be the one that has made the transition and shown he can handle both.

samikeyp
09-04-2006, 07:55 PM
On pure coaching, IMO yes, but Solid has a good point.....Carroll is an outstanding recruiter so Belichick would have to be the same and I just don't see it.

BeerIsGood!
09-05-2006, 05:19 PM
I'll answer it with a question. Is Bill Belichick a good recruiter? Pete Carroll seems to have proven that he is a good one.
Belichick doesn't have the personality to be a good recruiter at the college level. Look at the best in college football and you'll see coaches that are very charismatic, fun, and outgoing. Carroll fits that as does Mack Brown, Bowden, Tuberville, etc. About the only exception I can think of is Tressel, but he may be a much more charismatic guy in person away from the game and cameras. From all accounts, Belichick has a very dry sense of humor and is quiet. Same reason I don't think Parcells could coach college ball. You almost have to have a car salesman quality to you to coach college ball and win national championships.

monosylab1k
09-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Pete Carroll also had a bad year as the HC of the Jets. He took an extremely talented New England team and turned them into a bunch of slackers. Belichick then whipped them back into shape.

I strongly doubt Belichick could do at USC what Carroll has done there. I know for certain Carroll could never win a Super Bowl.

Some guys are great pro coaches (Belichick, Parcells), others are great college coaches (Carroll, Spurrier), but very, very rarely are they great at both (Jimmy Johnson, the only one I can think of off the top of my head).