PDA

View Full Version : The Great Majority Persecution

turambar85
09-04-2006, 09:08 PM
I just wanted to share this little slice of humor with all of the political and religious gurus on Spurstalk.

My fiancee and I had a couple of friends over the other night after the U.T game(Tennessee). We got into a fun little debate on religion, and out of the blue my friend makes the claim that, because she got a B on a paper in which she mentioned Christianity, Christians are the most persecuted group of people in America.

LOL, Christians are the most persecuted group in America....since when can the majority make such a claim? This has to be a historical precedent....I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry.

Of all of the people in America, Muslims, Gays, you name it....Christians are getting harrassed.

boutons_
09-04-2006, 09:47 PM
Religion is the opiate of the people.

smeagol
09-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Yes. All those religious people are idiots. It's you and only you, boutons, who's got it right.

boutons_
09-04-2006, 10:03 PM
You're coming down. Go get your fix.

smeagol
09-04-2006, 10:19 PM
You're coming down. Go get your fix.
I do not follow you.

Sorry, English is not my first langauge.

In any case, it is really sad to read on every other post of yours the hate you have towards religion and religious people. And don't give me "It's only againsy those who try to shove religion down my throught" because that's BS.

You hate against anybody who believes in a personal God, period.

I have mentioned many times I believe in Evolution as the way God chose to put man on this Earth, and you have bashed me for it.

Sad.

Ya Vez
09-04-2006, 10:20 PM
Religion is the opiate of the people. Karl Boutons Marx ...

Spurminator
09-04-2006, 10:47 PM
In any case, it is really sad to read on every other post of yours the hate you have towards religion and religious people.

Is it? I suppose it's about perspective... I see it as validation. I mean, you're with us, or you're with boutons....

Gives one pause, no?

turambar85
09-04-2006, 11:10 PM
:rolleyes

Try to start a thread contemplating the nature of a supposed religious persecution of Christians in Jesusland...err..America, and I end up with a debate on Boutons...I guess thats how it rolls.

gtownspur
09-04-2006, 11:16 PM
:rolleyes

Try to start a thread contemplating the nature of a supposed religious persecution of Christians in Jesusland...err..America, and I end up with a debate on Boutons...I guess thats how it rolls.

If your freind implied that there's persecution of conservative christians in acadamia then she's partially right.

sabar
09-04-2006, 11:16 PM
boutons persecutes everyone not boutonesque.

turambar85
09-04-2006, 11:17 PM
Nah, Gtown, her belief was that, in America in general, Christians are persecuted to a greater extent that Muslims are homosexuals.

turambar85
09-04-2006, 11:20 PM
And in response, I go the the University of Tennessee, and during the 1st week of school they had student groups on the sidewalks everywhere...well I saw 5...1 was the college democrats(check one for liberal bias), one was for the rowing team(chalk one for wastes of time), and 3 were christian groups(chalk 3 for Jesus)...and one was named Campus Crusaders for Christ...like the Crusades have such a good connotation. lol

And on my way to the UT/Cal game Saturday I was approached by 2 people trying to "save me".

Christians are doing fine, even on the dreaded college campus.

E20
09-04-2006, 11:24 PM
And in response, I go the the University of Tennessee, and during the 1st week of school they had student groups on the sidewalks everywhere...well I saw 5...1 was the college democrats(check one for liberal bias), one was for the rowing team(chalk one for wastes of time), and 3 were christian groups(chalk 3 for Jesus)...and one was named Campus Crusaders for Christ...like the Crusades have such a good connotation. lol

And on my way to the UT/Cal game Saturday I was approached by 2 people trying to "save me".

Christians are doing fine, even on the dreaded college campus.
Damn, Cal got spanked. I'm trying to get accepted there lol.

turambar85
09-04-2006, 11:27 PM
Damn, Cal got spanked. I'm trying to get accepted there lol.

Youre not kidding, it was awful.

I tried to start a "Go Home Hippies" chant to the tune of "O-Ver-Ra-Ted", but alas it never caught on.

My fiancee thought that was kind of ironic since I have hair a couple inches below my shoulders, and listen to Pink Floyd.

Spurminator
09-05-2006, 12:01 AM
Everyone's a victim.

Nothing energizes voters like making them believe they are being attacked in some way.

Can you think of a single voting bloc that doesn't feel persecuted in some way?

smeagol
09-05-2006, 06:47 AM
boutons persecutes everyone not boutonesque.
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

turambar85
09-05-2006, 06:51 AM
No, I probably can not think of a voting bloc that does not feel somewhat persecuted.

However, for the largest of these groups to feel as if they are the most down-trodden is bordering on psychotic hypocrisy.

:bang

101A
09-05-2006, 07:43 AM
....since when can the majority make such a claim?

...apartheid?

spurster
09-05-2006, 08:42 AM
It's one way to stay angry and keep the faithful from becoming apathetic.

Extra Stout
09-05-2006, 08:44 AM
No, I probably can not think of a voting bloc that does not feel somewhat persecuted.

However, for the largest of these groups to feel as if they are the most down-trodden is bordering on psychotic hypocrisy.

:bang
It's not reasonable to claim that Christians are the most persecuted.

I do recall Sunday school classes discussing "persecution." Since the Bible all but guarantees persecution, Christians sometimes go hunting to find it, and in the U.S. all there really is, is the secularist campaign to marginalize religion out of public life.

While that movement is something worth resisting IMO (without overcompensating as Christians are prone to do on this issue), it does not compare to say, Sudan, where Christians have been slaughtered for years, or China, which practices systematic repression of the church. In that sense, the complaint that Christians are the "most persecuted" group in America belittles the very real persecution Christians suffer elsewhere in the world.

Now, in a university setting, academics may tend to have a rather derisive hostility towards faith, and many students may be having their beliefs attacked for the first time. So these feelings of persecution could be an emotional response to those attacks.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-05-2006, 09:15 PM
I do not follow you.

Sorry, English is not my first langauge.

In any case, it is really sad to read on every other post of yours the hate you have towards religion and religious people. And don't give me "It's only againsy those who try to shove religion down my throught" because that's BS.

You hate against anybody who believes in a personal God, period.

I have mentioned many times I believe in Evolution as the way God chose to put man on this Earth, and you have bashed me for it.

Sad.

Except in this post boutons did not "hate on" Christians but rather pointed out the ABSURDITY OF THE CLAIM THAT CHRISTIANS ARE THE MOST PERSECUTED PEOPLE IN AMERICA. He's right, that is an ABSURD claim.

The good old Neitzschian lamb argument (although he was talking about Jews) - we Christians are but poor defenseless lambs preyed upon by the eagles and wolves of the world. Bullshiit! Christians are currently running your government, but somehow they are the most persecuted!? Hide your lies in plain view, as the PR people say...

Do you Christians get strip-searched in every airport you go through? My entirely cheeseburger-eating, beer-swilling, Sth Park-watching New Yorker friend, as American as apple pie, but who happens to have Muslim parents, is treated like shit everywhere he goes because of his name and the colour of his skin! But, no, you WASPs are far more persecuted! Pulease... :rolleyes

smeagol
09-05-2006, 09:24 PM
I agree to say Christians a persecuted in America is borderline idiotic, but boutons what not saying that.

boutons_
09-05-2006, 10:26 PM

smeagol
09-06-2006, 07:10 AM
:lol

That's what boutons was saying

boutons_
09-06-2006, 07:25 AM