PDA

View Full Version : 'Crocodile Hunter' exploited animals, critic says

mcornelio
09-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Feminist author Greer says 'It’s no surprise that he came to grief’

SYDNEY, Australia - Feminist academic Germaine Greer said on Wednesday she hoped the death of Australian “Crocodile Hunter” Steve Irwin would mark the end of what she called exploitative nature documentaries, a discordant note amid floods of tributes.Irwin died in a freak diving accident off Australia’s northeast coast on Monday after he was hit in the chest by the serrated barb from a stingray’s tail.

Echoing comments she made this week in Britain’s Guardian newspaper, Australian-born Greer likened Irwin to a lion tamer and said he had intruded on the habitats of animals and treated them with “massive insensitivity.”

“It’s no surprise that he came to grief,” Greer told Nine Network television.

“We now have enough respect for lions to be embarrassed if we see someone trying to crack whips at them and wave chairs at them. Jumping all over crocodiles is the same kind of thing.”

'Exploitation of animals'
Greer, an award-winning author, is a frequent critic of personalities like British soccer star David Beckham and social trends like reality television.

In 2003 she criticized J.R.R. Tolkien’s “Lord of the Rings” trilogy for attracting “spaced-out hippies, environmentalists, free-market libertarians, social conservatives, pacifists, new-age theosophists, sexists and racists the world over.”

Irwin’s death has prompted outpourings of grief and sympathy from around the world, dominating local newspapers and clogging Internet news sites.

His “Crocodile Hunter” documentaries for U.S.-based television company Discovery Channel’s Animal Planet were seen by tens of millions of viewers around the world.

He became famous for flirting with death as he wrestled crocodiles, swam with sharks and handled some of the world’s deadliest snakes and spiders.

Greer said she found the Irwin phenomenon "embarrassing," although she understood the sadness at his death.

“I’m not saying that’s not sad, I’m saying what might be over now is this kind of exploitation of animals,” Greer said.

“I am sick and tired of programs that tell me that the world is full of wicked, nasty, powerful, deadly creatures. Why does Australia set itself up to be made into this hellhole?” she said.

Copyright 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14694683/ (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14694683/)

ObiwanGinobili
09-06-2006, 08:30 AM
wow.

what a heartless bitch.
when was the last time she got laid?

nothing like jumping all over someone else's tragedy to get your own message heard.

mcornelio
09-06-2006, 08:31 AM
Looks Like Someone Was Jelous Of Irwin

cherylsteele
09-06-2006, 08:35 AM
In 2003 she criticized J.R.R. Tolkien’s “Lord of the Rings” trilogy for attracting “spaced-out hippies, environmentalists, free-market libertarians, social conservatives, pacifists, new-age theosophists, sexists and racists the world over.”
I couldn't disagree more with her more, I guess she also disliked Wild Kingdom too. Along with every zoo/aquarium and such in the world. She probably has never been to Sea world either.

According to her logic in this part of her statement, I guess Star Trek fans are bad as well.

This person seems to be using Irwin's death as a soapbox for her own agenda.

leemajors
09-06-2006, 08:40 AM
a little exploitation to further conservation is a small price to pay.

sa_butta
09-06-2006, 08:43 AM
This lady has it all wrong, he educated the world about animals and
creatures some people did not even know existed.

I hope a crocodile eats her alive.

polandprzem
09-06-2006, 09:03 AM
wow.

what a heartless bitch.

:angel

wassup there Obi?

ObiwanGinobili
09-06-2006, 09:05 AM
:angel

wassup there Obi?

drinking tea.

polandprzem
09-06-2006, 09:09 AM
drinking tea.

Why the tea?

ObiwanGinobili
09-06-2006, 09:26 AM
Why the tea?

uh. 'cause it's yummy?

DirkAB
09-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Cunt.

Duncan21
09-06-2006, 10:06 AM
thats the biggest bitch i have ever seen! she need to get a life!

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-06-2006, 10:10 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germaine_Greer

Phenomanul
09-06-2006, 10:16 AM
Someone sounds bitter.

polandprzem
09-06-2006, 10:30 AM
thats the biggest bitch i have ever seen! she need to get a life!

How dare you speak that about Obi?! :devil :madrun :devil

IMDB Quote Machine
09-06-2006, 10:31 AM

CosmicCowboy
09-06-2006, 11:05 AM
wow.

what a heartless bitch.

To use Jimmy Buffet's term, she is a snuff queen....

CosmicCowboy
09-06-2006, 11:10 AM
since no one ever gets my posts, heres the lyrics...

I really do appreciate the fact youre sittin here
Your voice sounds so wonderful
But yer face dont look too clear
So bar maid bring a pitcher, another round o brew
Honey, why dont we get drunk and screw

Chorus:
Why dont we get drunk and screw
I just bought a water bed, its filled up for me and you
They say you are a snuff queen
Honey I dont think thats true
So, why dont we get drunk and screw

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-06-2006, 11:26 AM
So are you going to get drunk and screw her?

09-06-2006, 11:29 AM
since no one ever gets my posts, heres the lyrics...

I really do appreciate the fact youre sittin here
Your voice sounds so wonderful
But yer face dont look too clear
So bar maid bring a pitcher, another round o brew
Honey, why dont we get drunk and screw

Chorus:
Why dont we get drunk and screw
I just bought a water bed, its filled up for me and you
They say you are a snuff queen
Honey I dont think thats true
So, why dont we get drunk and screw

I don't care what they say Rancho Deluxe is a great movie.

Spurminator
09-06-2006, 11:30 AM
What an attention whore. She was on Celebrity Big Brother?

boutons_
09-06-2006, 11:32 AM
There is a kernel of truth in what she is saying, and she's far from the only one to think like that.

Irwin was above all a self-promoting show biz guy who used stunts like repeatedly hand-feeding, taunting, wrestling alligators and crocs, playing with super-poisonous, neuro-toxic snakes, etc. Pure TV sensationalism. Over and over and over. His shows were as much about him, even more so, than about the animals.

He apparently did a lot of good, but he chose trumped-up childish sensationalism that wasn't the most respectful and sympathetic towards his co-stars. Even before he was killed, his approach was not universally applauded, typified by the hugely negative reponse to his stunt of holding his mouthful of a baby while hand-feeding a crocodile.

Animal display in zoos, aquariums, wildlife parks, Sea World has progressed enormously in modern, rich societies, such that the animals are extremely well cared for with respect and affection by dedicated, professional staff, and live mostly stress free, healthy lives, in very expensive, complex habitats. And in many cases, those animals are safer in zoos than they are in disappearing natural habitats.

CosmicCowboy
09-06-2006, 11:55 AM
So are you going to get drunk and screw her?

What a fucking dumbass. Obviously I have to spell it out for you. She hasn't been laid lately because by her own admission she is a lesbian. Asshole.

CuckingFunt
09-06-2006, 11:59 AM
What a fucking dumbass. Obviously I have to spell it out for you. She hasn't been laid lately because she is a lesbian. Asshole.
Lesbians can get laid, it just doesn't involve a dick.

Spam
09-06-2006, 12:01 PM
I've known some lesbians who are real dicks.

sickdsm
09-06-2006, 12:12 PM
While being interviewed about the book in 1971, she told the New York Times that she had been a "supergroupie." "Supergroupies don't have to hang around hotel corridors," she said. "When you are one, as I have been, you get invited backstage. I think groupies are important because they demystify sex; they accept it as physical, and they aren't possessive about their conquests."

DirkAB
09-06-2006, 12:30 PM
There is a kernel of truth in what she is saying, and she's far from the only one to think like that.

Just because there are a number of retarded idiots out there that think he was some sort of selfish self-promoter doesn't mean it is true. He did more for the earth in one week than most of those worthless complainers do in a lifetime. Fuck them and shitty outlook on life, bitter people can't step back and look at the big picture because they are too busy looking for the little things to gripe about.

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-06-2006, 12:51 PM
Hopefully she dies in an equally fitting way for a media whore, perhaps being hit by a news van or trampled by reporters attempting to cover a bigger dipshit complaining about something. Perhaps that will bring an end this era where the media is exploited by people who look for things to be indignant about so they can see their names in print in order to feel self important.

Bob Lanier
09-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Ms. Greer has a number of opinions I disagree with, but she's probably right about this. Regardless of his efforts for conservation, his public "Crocodile Hunter (http://www.dailygut.com/CMS/DATA/Magazine1/DG_steveirwin1_20060905.jpg)" persona was essentially as she describes (http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/1706/The_Bum_Hunter.html) (nsfw ads).

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-06-2006, 01:29 PM
What a fucking dumbass. Obviously I have to spell it out for you. She hasn't been laid lately because by her own admission she is a lesbian. Asshole.

Wow...so much for joking with you.

What the hell did I ever do to you?

DirkAB
09-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Wow...so much for joking with you.

What the hell did I ever do to you?

Nobody gets his posts, remember? His posts are enigmas wrapped inside of riddle, then topped off with a puzzle. May need a secret decoder ring to catch the gist of his posts.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Nobody gets his posts, remember? His posts are enigmas wrapped inside of riddle, then topped off with a puzzle. May need a secret decoder ring to catch the gist of his posts.

Actually, I've never had a problem with CC.

I'm used to being called a dumbass and an asshole, but only when it's warranted.

I don't feel this is one of those times, but that's just me. I guess he feels differently.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-06-2006, 01:43 PM
And according to Jimmy Buffett's usage of "snuff queen," you can't equate it to her not getting laid in awhile since the term is meant (by his admission) as a hooker and maybe even a C&W groupie.

But you know, don't let facts get in the way or anything.

Extra Stout
09-06-2006, 02:05 PM
OMG! A radical bitch with a long history of saying things to get a rise out of people, says something radical and bitchy and gets a rise out of people!

Don't give the cunt the attention she craves.

tlongII
09-06-2006, 02:14 PM
She's just a stupid bitch. That's all. What a bunch of bullshit calling out Irwin for the way he treated some of those reptiles! Who the fuck cares?! They're reptiles! With reptilian brains! Incapable of cognitive thought!

He brought a lot of attention to the need to protect apex predators. A healthy ecosystem needs its apex predators.

CosmicCowboy
09-06-2006, 02:35 PM
And according to Jimmy Buffett's usage of "snuff queen," you can't equate it to her not getting laid in awhile since the term is meant (by his admission) as a hooker and maybe even a C&W groupie.

But you know, don't let facts get in the way or anything.

OK, JB...I retract the insults but you are totally wrong about the snuff queen thing. It doesn't mean she is a hooker. It doesn't mean she is a groupie. It doesn't mean she dips copenhagen. It means she is gay and goes snuff snuff snuffin at the Y. And the lyric is actually a poke at guys that hit on hot waitresses and then when they get rejected say"oh well...she must be gay"...

09-06-2006, 02:36 PM
A healthy ecosystem needs its apex predators.

And that is why God invented deer season.

CavsSuperFan
09-06-2006, 02:39 PM
There is always going to be misinformation circulating when unfortunate accidents happen to people as famous as Steve Irwin...

Fisherman will now be quick to kill & collect the stingers of the docile Stingrays out of frustration for taking away one of televisions most likeable personalities...Who can blame them...Those poisonous, serrated edges, make wonderful letter openers and souvenirs....

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-06-2006, 04:03 PM
http://www.cobo.org/knowledge/glc/JBFAQ.html#2.2

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=snuff+queen

http://www.cobo.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=12

Why Don't We Get Drunk
(Marvin Gardens 1973)
****1/2
This is another JB Classic that I can remember my dad playing on his guitar when I was a little kid(and interestingly enough this was the first song I memorized when I started learning the guitar last Spring('97)~7 chords...Whoa!). This is a very simple straight-forward song that is often surrounded by contraversy. First off, it's written by Marvin Gardens...for more info on Marvin, check out his web page at the Church of Buffett, Orthodox...Marvin Garden's Homepage.

Another bit of contraversy surrounds a seemingly simple lyric:

"They say you are a snuff queen"

I myself thought it was "snow queen" for the longest time--until I finally read the lyrics on the back of the album cover. Then there's the debate on what is a "snuff queen"? I've heard everything from an "easy girl" or "hooker" to a "girl who won't put out" to a "girl who chews snuff". I always thought it was closer to the middle one, but ¿quien sabe? Over-analyzing isn't always a good thing.

This song has been much maligned lately, at least on the JB listserv. And I can agree that I'm not a big fan of the joke performance this song has become in recent years at the concerts...everything from Little Bo Peep to Why Don't We Get Lunch At School(which I actually thought was kinda cute at first). I now pretty much refer to the song as Why Don't We Get Drunk At School. I know that if he played it straight, at least I would like it more...but the gimmicks definitely don't do much for me.

JB - "This song was written as a piece of total satire when I did my first album in Nashville. I was hearing a lot of very suggestive country songs-in particular, Conway Twitty's Let's Go All The Way. I figured I would write a song that would leave no doubt in anybody's mind. I thought back to a late night in an Atlanta diner where I was eatingand watching this out-of-focus businessman trying to pick up a hooker. That's all the inspiration I needed."

CosmicCowboy
09-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Sorry JB, but I heard it straight from Jimmy Buffet. I was at an outdoor concert at Ft. Bend county fairgrounds in 1976 and Jimmy Buffet was one of the headliners...It started raining and everyone ran for their cars with the exception of a few hardcores...myself and my girlfriend at the time included...Buffet called the concert when it started lightning and announced to the remaining people he was moving the concert inside the little community center there...there were only about a hundred people left by then...he just put a cafeteria chair up on a table and proceeded to do a three hour acoustic set...he talked about writing that song before he sang it and joked about how drunk guys egos make them automatically assume that hot girls that refuse their advances are gay...I was only about 20' away from him at the time and prefer to believe him over your message board sources.

BTW...apologies again for blasting you earlier. I caught a lot of shit in here at one time for sharing some past escapades and a few posters started insinuating I was making them up and writing parodies of my posts...I related your joke to those times and came out swinging.

Mark in Austin
09-06-2006, 05:05 PM
OMG! A radical bitch with a long history of saying things to get a rise out of people, says something radical and bitchy and gets a rise out of people!

Don't give the cunt the attention she craves.

exactly.

Duncan21
09-06-2006, 05:44 PM
shes on t.v all the time in england because she critises someone, she trys to get on t.v all the time with stupid comments like this, but this time shes gone to far.

BITCH!

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Irwin was above all a self-promoting show biz guy who used stunts like repeatedly hand-feeding, taunting, wrestling alligators and crocs, playing with super-poisonous, neuro-toxic snakes, etc. Pure TV sensationalism. Over and over and over. His shows were as much about him, even more so, than about the animals.

Yeah, it was all about himself, which is why he bought 100,000 acres of land to protect endangered species.

Good call asswipe.

Clandestino
09-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Next time this bitch flies there better be some MOTHERFUCKING SNAKES ON A PLANE!!!

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-06-2006, 10:28 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^ :lol

Nice.

whottt
09-07-2006, 11:30 AM
What a vile hag this bitch is. I hope she dies soon because I need to piss.

whottt
09-07-2006, 11:47 AM
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2006/09/05/irwin3_hum.html?category=animals&guid=20060905170030

Irwin Was a Self-Made 'Wildlife Warrior'
Jennifer Viegas, Discovery News

Sept. 5, 2006 — Steve Irwin may have been best known for his wildly popular Crocodile Hunter series on Animal Planet, but he also dedicated a great deal of time and earnings to wildlife conservation efforts that many people — including some of his closest colleagues and friends — were unaware of.

"Until his death, when we began to go over his work, I hadn't fully appreciated his commitment to conservation," Ginette Hemley, vice president for species conservation at the World Wildlife Fund (WWF), told Discovery News.

"Steve Irwin put his money where his mouth was at, and he often did this quietly and effectively with little or no promotion."

She explained that Irwin partnered with the WWF to fund endangered species conservation in Africa and Asia, where he provided "critical support" in Manas National Park, India. That funding was used, in part, to buy field equipment for workers patrolling the forests there against poachers.

Irwin took a special interest in saving tigers, since they remain one of the world's most endangered species.

In Africa, he also assisted the WWF with funding for projects to save cheetahs and other wildlife.

"His efforts got money to the ground level where it was most needed," Hemley said.

Irwin and his wife used money from their Crocodile Hunter earnings to buy wilderness lands in Fiji, Tasmania, the South Pacific island nation of Vanuatu and the United States.

In particular, Irwin was devoted to purchasing, and then salvaging, wilderness tracts in his homeland of Australia. There he bought a large region west of Brisbane near the Murray-Darling Basin.

He also purchased land near his Australia Zoo in Beerwah to save the habitats of tree-dwelling marsupials known as gliders, as well as wallabies, snakes, platypuses and other creatures, many native to Australia.

The Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service said Irwin expressed an interest in helping its population recovery efforts for the northern hairy-nosed wombat.

rwin also took on smaller projects, such as working with farmers to save an endangered species of python called the woma. His zoo actually paid farmers to report information about the snakes rather than kill them, as was once widely done.

Irwin described himself as "a man in a hurry" who wanted to accomplish as much as he could in his lifetime to save wildlife and support environmental causes.

During a 2003 interview with The Age in Australia, he said, "I consider myself a wildlife warrior. My mission is to save the world's endangered species."

Although his life was cut short by Monday's tragic accident, Irwin's work will continue, according to an announcement today by Michael Hornby, executive director of the Australia Zoo.

"We have an obligation now to do more, and through his legacy we hope more Australians and more people around the world will get into conservation," Hornby said on Australia's Channel 9 Today program.

He added, "Things like the culling of wildlife, which Steve was very passionate (against). That has to stop. We've got to create safer habitats. We've got to carry on the mantle."

This bitch needs a bullet in the head...I hope people boycott her books and threaten to boycott the paper she writes for.

Not only because she is dead wrong, but also because she is an incredibly insensitive piece of shit to make those comments the day after he died in the manner in which she made them.

I value the opinion of LakerGod and Wolves 009 more than I do this piece of excrement that needs to be scraped off the world's shoe.

Guru of Nothing
09-07-2006, 07:42 PM
All in favor of irony say aye.

Steve Irwin turned animals into rock stars and put conservation on people's minds. ... I salute him.