PDA

View Full Version : Reds lose Griffey indefinitely

sa_butta
09-06-2006, 10:33 AM
CINCINNATI -- The slight limp gave it away.

Ken Griffey Jr (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=4305). walked slowly and carefully on Tuesday, a day after he dislocated a toe on his right foot while trying to make a catch. He was out of the Cincinnati Reds (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=cin)' lineup and had no guess about when he might be back.

"I went up and at first, I didn't get a good grip. All of a sudden I started to slide down and I got caught and that's when I felt it. " -- Griffey on the play that led to his injury.

Asked if this injury could linger, Griffey said, "It shouldn't."

"Right now, we're just waiting for the swelling to go down," he said. "That's it."

It's the first time that the 36-year-old outfielder has dislocated a toe. He jammed his cleats into the padded outfield wall as he reached for Barry Bonds (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=3918)' two-run homer in the eighth inning Monday night.

Griffey couldn't reach the homer, which tied the game and set up San Francisco's 5-4 comeback win. And he lost his footing as well, twisting the toe next to his big toe.

"I went up and at first, I didn't get a good grip," he said. "All of a sudden I started to slide down and I got caught and that's when I felt it."

He limped off the field, and a doctor popped the toe back into place.

The injury was the latest in a series of setbacks for the Reds, who were less than a percentage point out of first place in the NL Central before going into a 1-8 slump on a West Coast trip.

Griffey had been on a tear heading into that trip, hitting safely in 15 consecutive games. He was in an 0-for-12 slump when he dislocated the toe. Overall, Griffey is batting .251 with 26 homers and 69 RBI.

The series-opening loss to San Francisco dropped the Reds a season-low two games under .500 and into fifth place in the NL wild-card race, trailing San Diego by 3½ games. Philadelphia, Florida and San Francisco were also ahead of them.

"We're not out of it," Griffey said. "We just haven't had some breaks we needed."

The injury was one they could have done without.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2574918

Burn531
09-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Damn, that sucks. The Reds are done.

MajorMike
09-06-2006, 01:43 PM
I said that couple days ago.

Spurminator
09-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Wow, he made it all the way to September?

MajorMike
09-07-2006, 08:13 AM
Wow, he made it all the way to September?

HAHAHA. :lol

leemajors
09-07-2006, 09:01 AM
pti had an interesting discussion about this yesterday - who had the worse injury luck - griffey or grant hill...

Spurminator
09-07-2006, 10:04 AM
Griffey still played long enough to establish himself as a Hall of Famer. Without the injuries he probably could have reached a point where people were debating whether he or Willie Mays was the greatest Center Fielder of all time, but atleast he had long enough to put his name beside other all-time greats.

Grant Hill didn't play long enough to do that. He likely won't be a HOFer and may be completely forgotten by the casual NBA fan in 25 years.

leemajors
09-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Griffey still played long enough to establish himself as a Hall of Famer. Without the injuries he probably could have reached a point where people were debating whether he or Willie Mays was the greatest Center Fielder of all time, but atleast he had long enough to put his name beside other all-time greats.

Grant Hill didn't play long enough to do that. He likely won't be a HOFer and may be completely forgotten by the casual NBA fan in 25 years.

and that was the consensus after the discussion, though hill did have five good years in detroit.

tlongII
09-07-2006, 11:12 AM
I saw Griffey many times when he played with the M's. He was absolutely amazing. I saw him hit 3 home runs in one game. Those teams with Junior, A-Rod, Edgar Martinez, The Big Unit, and Jay Buhner were so fun to watch!

Duff McCartney
09-07-2006, 02:44 PM
Damn...he should just retire already...dude is done physically.

MajorMike
09-07-2006, 03:43 PM
I saw Griffey many times when he played with the M's. He was absolutely amazing. I saw him hit 3 home runs in one game. Those teams with Junior, A-Rod, Edgar Martinez, The Big Unit, and Jay Buhner were so fun to watch!

And yet... they went no where.

tlongII
09-07-2006, 04:50 PM

ALCS in 95!

tlongII
09-07-2006, 04:50 PM

Lousy bullpen.

leemajors
09-07-2006, 05:19 PM
them not going anywhere doesn't change the fact that griffey jr. was an incredible ballplayer whose career was severely hampered by injury. he very likely would have reached 700 HRs easily had his career not taken that turn, and he still has over 500 and will make the HOF.

THE SIXTH MAN
09-08-2006, 02:11 AM
Damn KG jr. should just call it quits.

MajorMike
09-08-2006, 08:28 AM
them not going anywhere doesn't change the fact that griffey jr. was an incredible ballplayer whose career was severely hampered by injury. he very likely would have reached 700 HRs easily had his career not taken that turn, and he still has over 500 and will make the HOF.

Jr is a cancer on any and every club he has been on, and A Rod.

samikeyp
09-08-2006, 09:16 AM
I agree with Lee, Junior was pretty healthy his first 10 years and not the last 8. Imagine the numbers he would have had if he was able to maintain that health.

leemajors
09-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Jr is a cancer on any and every club he has been on, and A Rod.

i don't remember jr being a cancer. i don't think arod has ever been a bad teammate either. so because they haven't won championships they are cancers? it is entirely possible i am not remembering something correctly, but i was under the impression overall they were likeable teammates.

MajorMike
09-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Do a google for Griffey and "team cancer".

leemajors
09-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Do a google for Griffey and "team cancer".

all that brings up is that he found out both his parents have cancer this year. any other clever suggestions?

Brutalis
09-08-2006, 04:22 PM

2nd that

T Park
09-13-2006, 02:48 AM
Other than my amusement over Griffey's jealousy in 2001 over ESPN not showing his highlights more than Jim edmonds, Griffey has been a top shelf guy and a shame that his career has been hampered as much as it has been.