PDA

View Full Version : Does it mean anything? Nah. But, it's fun...

Yonivore
10-26-2004, 12:01 PM
...to post this shit because, well, you just can't make it up! (unless, of course, you're CBS or the New York Times...

Researcher Alleges Potential Plagiarism in 11 Passages of Kerry's Writings (http://www.nysun.com/article/3775)

In one instance, Mr. Kerry wrote, "Russian mobsters have been arrested in Germany for extortion, car theft, counterfeiting, prostitution, selling drugs and illegal weapons, and smuggling everything from icons to uranium."

A 1993 Philadelphia Inquirer article, written by Barbara Demick, said, "Suspected Russian mobsters have been arrested in Germany and charged with extortion, car thefts, counterfeiting, prostitution, gambling, and selling drugs and illegal weapons. They have been caught smuggling everything from religious icons to uranium." Mr. Kerry's book contains endnotes but makes no reference to the Inquirer story.

A former English professor and author of two books on plagiarism, Robert Harris, examined that example and others and concluded that many of the instances clearly constituted plagiarism.

"If I had that in a student paper, I'd fail the paper, give them a zero, and make them redo it. On a second offense, I'd fail them for the course," he said. "This kind of plagiarizing, it's really unprofessional."

:lmao

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2004, 12:04 PM
No surprise.

JoeChalupa
10-26-2004, 12:13 PM
Haven't you been busted for plagiarism on this board Yonivore? :)

Carnie
10-26-2004, 12:21 PM
This election is taking business away from the Big top

"shake some Dust"

Yonivore
10-26-2004, 12:42 PM
Haven't you been busted for plagiarism on this board Yonivore? :)
Actually, I outed myself. And, I'm neither running for President of the United States nor am I receiving remuneration for my plagiarized words...

Kerry is both, running for President and, in the case of many of the examples, receiving money for plagiarism -- since the plagiarized passages appeared in books that he sold for profit.

exstatic
10-26-2004, 01:31 PM
Pot...kettle...black. Kids in school aren't being renumerated for their works, either.

Yonivore
10-26-2004, 02:19 PM
Pot...kettle...black. Kids in school aren't being renumerated for their works, either.
Yes, they are...they're called grades and degrees.