PDA

View Full Version : Homes for veterans.

RandomGuy
09-07-2006, 10:40 AM
For any that don't know about some of the benefits offered to Texas military vets, such as tuition assistance, here is an interesting bit that might help you get a home loan.

http://www.tvc.state.tx.us/vlb.htm

They also run cemetaries and operate some of the best assisted-living retirement homes that I have seen in the process of helping out my father-in-law.

Disclaimer:
I have absolutely no connection to the business of real estate, lending, or to the Texas Veterans Land Board. I simply think it is a good deal to consider if you are a vet. As always do your research for any large purchase or life step.

DannyT
09-07-2006, 04:31 PM
good stuff man....

travis2
09-08-2006, 06:25 AM
The Hazlewood exemption is a really good deal for veterans. It's a little more than just "tuition assistance"...it's full tuition and most fees at any state school for up to 150 semester hours. At any level. Personally, I'm using it for grad school.

Requirements are:

1. Texas resident at time of entry to federal military service (Guard/ANG not eligible unless federalized)
2. Minimum 181 days active duty after initial training
3. Honorable or general "under honorable conditions" discharge
4. Current Texas resident
5. No current federal education benefits remaining

FAQ at http://www.collegefortexans.com/cfbin/FAQ.cfm?ProgID=31

DannyT
09-08-2006, 06:45 AM
so thats what i was never told about you have to use up your GI BILL first....?

travis2
09-08-2006, 07:33 AM
so thats what i was never told about you have to use up your GI BILL first....?

Yes...if you have any GI Bill left, you have to clear that first. Once you get rid of that, then Hazlewood kicks in.

RandomGuy
09-08-2006, 01:38 PM
The Hazlewood exemption is a really good deal for veterans. It's a little more than just "tuition assistance"...it's full tuition and most fees at any state school for up to 150 semester hours. At any level. Personally, I'm using it for grad school.

Requirements are:

1. Texas resident at time of entry to federal military service (Guard/ANG not eligible unless federalized)
2. Minimum 181 days active duty after initial training
3. Honorable or general "under honorable conditions" discharge
4. Current Texas resident
5. No current federal education benefits remaining

FAQ at http://www.collegefortexans.com/cfbin/FAQ.cfm?ProgID=31

That is my problem. I can't get past #1.

This is a VERY good thing tho'. I wished a LOT that I still had it after my GI bill ran out.

Grad school et al. will end up with RG 96K in student loan debt. :depressed

This is a bit below average these days, actually.

09-08-2006, 01:42 PM
That is my problem. I can't get past #1.

This is a VERY good thing tho'. I wished a LOT that I still had it after my GI bill ran out.

Grad school et al. will end up with RG 96K in student loan debt. :depressed

This is a bit below average these days, actually.

RG, you ever thought about looking at what state you were in the see if they have someting similar you could qualify for?

RandomGuy
09-08-2006, 02:01 PM
I checked. Wyoming doesn't provide anything if you study out of state.

It's ok. I have picked a lucrative career path, so the debt relative to my earning potential is very small.

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest"--Benjamin Franklin

09-08-2006, 02:04 PM
I checked. Wyoming doesn't provide anything if you study out of state.

It's ok. I have picked a lucrative career path, so the debt relative to my earning potential is very small.

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest"--Benjamin Franklin

Going to be a Petroleum Engineer, huh?

2Blonde
09-10-2006, 04:55 PM
We're using the Texas Vet loan for building our new home. It's a good deal.

RandomGuy
09-11-2006, 07:39 AM
Going to be a Petroleum Engineer, huh?

Accountant. Heh, somebody has to keep track of the oodles of cash the oil companies are making... :lol