PDA

View Full Version : Boy Beaten, Artificial Leg Used As Weapon

sa_butta
09-07-2006, 01:38 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/local/15451833.htm

Teen attacked with own prosthetic leg

Associated Press

CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. - A southeast Missouri teenager is recovering after being attacked with his own prosthetic leg.

Michael Williams, 18, of Cape Girardeau, was attacked around 1 a.m. Sunday in the parking lot of an apartment complex. Police said two other teens in a car pulled alongside Williams, who is missing half his right arm and wears a prosthetic leg due to a birth defect.

"What's up, nubs?" one teen said to Williams, police spokesman Jason Selzer said.

"The next thing I know I get blind-sided in my right jaw and I black out," Williams said. He was punched in the face several times and kicked in the ribs and face.

One of the attackers grabbed Williams' prosthetic leg and hit him with it, Selzer said.

"What motivates someone to do that, I have no idea," he said.

Witnesses got the license plate number of the suspects' vehicle. The two were arrested around 3 a.m. Sunday.

Alexander Harris, 17, was charged with felony third-degree assault. The charge was classified as a hate crime because the assault was motivated by Williams' disability, according to the arrest warrant. The classification makes what would otherwise be a misdemeanor a felony, prosecutors said.

The other teen, a 16-year-old boy, is expected to face juvenile charges for assault and curfew violation, Selzer said.

Williams received X-rays of his knees, chest and head, and CT scan. He had no broken bones but a swollen lip, jaw and neck. He said he knew the teens from school, but did not know their names.

He believes the attack was prompted by his disability. "That's the only thing I can think of," Williams said.

This was the third attack this year in Cape Girardeau classified as a hate crime, Selzer said. Two other men were attacked in separate incidents because of their sexual preference.

Marklar MM
09-07-2006, 01:40 PM
Shoot dem baddies in the balls.

Big P
09-07-2006, 01:50 PM
Sad...throw the book at those kids.

Duncan21
09-07-2006, 02:01 PM
i don't get it how someone could have that much hate against someone just because of the way they look, we live in a sad sad world.