PDA

View Full Version : Chafee Kills Bolton Vote

Nbadan
09-08-2006, 03:20 AM
http://www.newscorpse.com/Pix/John%20Boltons%20UN.jpg

Republican efforts to formally confirm John R. Bolton as ambassador to the United Nations hit an unexpected snag yesterday when a Republican senator in a tough reelection bid said he could not support the diplomat until the Bush administration answers his questions on Middle East policy.

The protest by Sen. Lincoln D. Chafee (R.I.) is only the latest development in the long-running battle to get Bolton confirmed to the post he now holds on a temporary basis. Last year, Chafee supported Bolton's confirmation, but the opposition of Sen. George V. Voinovich (R-Ohio) prompted President Bush to name him to the U.N. post as a recess appointment.

This summer, Voinovich declared that his concerns over Bolton's temperament have been satisfactorily answered by the diplomat's performance at the United Nations. That conversion prompted Bush and GOP leaders to resubmit Bolton's name for confirmation. But Chafee informed Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Richard G. Lugar (R-Ind.) of his change of heart yesterday, forcing Lugar to call off the confirmation vote or face the possibility of a 9 to 9 deadlock in the 18-member panel.

Chafee is fighting for his political life. Next Tuesday, Rhode Island primary voters must decide between Chafee, the Senate's most liberal Republican, and Cranston Mayor Stephen Laffey, who is challenging him from the right. If Chafee survives the GOP primary, he must then win reelection in one of the most Democratic states in the country.

Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/07/AR2006090700128.html)

Look for the Bolton vote to reappear if the GOP keeps control of the House in Senate this winter.

boutons_
09-08-2006, 03:27 AM
dubya has lost control of the Repugs, the Repugs will soon lose control of Congress.

Nbadan
09-08-2006, 03:31 AM
I think this is more of a CYA move by the GOP for House and Senate incumbants. Nobody wants Bolton back, but the NeoCons need him in the UN to keep intimidating other foreign leaders from resisting their foreign policy agenda.

RandomGuy
09-08-2006, 08:07 AM
I hope the kick in the teeth the GOP is about to receive actually has some effect on getting our government to have a bit more responsible and mature foreign policy.