PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard or Amare Stoudamire?

flipcritic
09-08-2006, 09:29 AM
I know obtaining either one of these guys is a pipedream, but if you could, who would you go for?

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Until I see Amare play a full NBA game and look like his old self, I think the knee issues force me to pick Howard.

alamo50
09-08-2006, 11:33 AM
DH without a doubt.

Supergirl
09-08-2006, 11:41 AM
Neither.

If you're asking which one is the better player, I think it's impossible to answer. A healthy Amare is far superior to Dwight Howard, who is weak on defense and just not as dominating a player, probably never will be. But I have serious doubts whether Amare will ever come back and be the player he was in his 1st and 2nd seasons, because of the knee injuries. Knee injuries are notorious for ruining players' careers (See: Chris Webber)

I'd pick Chris Bosh over both of them right now, if I were selecting the top young PF/C, someone who could replace Duncan as the best at his position someday.

jman3000
09-08-2006, 12:17 PM
I was never able to look past the fact that so much of Amare's game was predicated on pure athletic ability and getting spoon fed by Nash. Until that is until he started hitting that 15 foot jumper against us in the '05 playoffs... but it still remains to be seen if he can come back from his injury ... so i'd pick DH.

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-08-2006, 01:26 PM
DH coz he worships Jesus and doesnt think he himself is Jesus :smokin

Rip-Hamilton32
09-08-2006, 03:26 PM
howard is just better plain and simple

mavs>spurs2
09-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Howard has more potential. Amare's only strength is his athleticism and he might not get all of that back because of the surgery.

ABDENOUR POWER
09-08-2006, 04:04 PM
Darko

BUMP
09-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Howard has more potential. Amare's only strength is his athleticism and he might not get all of that back because of the surgery.

yeah. you hit right on the nose. plus, amare plays with Nash, so his open looks increase. he wasnt a great player before Nash arrived

kobe_bryant
09-08-2006, 05:26 PM
howard is joining lakers

Rip-Hamilton32
09-08-2006, 05:31 PM
nah hes seen what the lakers can do to top pf prospects

slayermin
09-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Dwight Howard. You wanna talk about athleticisim and strength for a big man, I think you have to start with him.

PerforatedNeckline
09-08-2006, 06:45 PM
also, dwight is superior on the glass. and he'll get better and better. i'm expecting rodman like numbers on the glass from him soon. 13 to 16 a game.

Bob Lanier
09-08-2006, 08:05 PM
Stoudemire if Amaré recovers. Howard if Amaré doesn't, or if Dwight learns to do something more than just rebound.

spurs=bling
09-08-2006, 10:07 PM
Amare Stoudamire..but right now Dwight Howard.

dirk4mvp
09-08-2006, 10:17 PM
I think Amare will come back strong, so Amare.

Zunni
09-08-2006, 10:34 PM
Howard. Microfracture surgery is no joke for someone who's game is so predicated on athleticism. Amare may never be the same.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-08-2006, 10:59 PM
You mean Amare StoudEmire.

THE SIXTH MAN
09-08-2006, 11:19 PM
D. Howard with out a doubt.

stretch
09-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Howard is more talented, more athletic, and a much better defender. whoever said that he is a weak defender is a total moron. Howard is probably the most talented PF in the league now. Hes like a mix between Amare and KG, but will be more dominant than both.

Bob Lanier
09-09-2006, 12:11 AM
whoever said that he is a weak defender is a total moron. :rollin

Howard is probably the most talented PF in the league now.
:lmao

Hes like a mix between Amare and KG, but will be more dominant than both.
:flypig :elephant

atxrocker
09-09-2006, 12:37 AM
a healthy amare over just about anybody. dudes a beast. i hope he comes back killin it.

CuckingFunt
09-09-2006, 12:41 AM
Howard. Kid's a monster.

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-09-2006, 01:13 AM
yeh and he is 3 years younger :smokin

Leetonidas
09-09-2006, 02:02 AM
Howard is going to be the best bigman in the league in 3-4 years.

Eric Dampier
09-09-2006, 09:53 AM
tough choice. i can tell you they have big balls cause i've been teabagged plenty of times by these two. id have to go with Amare cause everytime he's about to dunk on me, i just run away :depressed

HeyIt'sMe
09-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Neither.

If you're asking which one is the better player, I think it's impossible to answer. A healthy Amare is far superior to Dwight Howard, who is weak on defense and just not as dominating a player, probably never will be. But I have serious doubts whether Amare will ever come back and be the player he was in his 1st and 2nd seasons, because of the knee injuries. Knee injuries are notorious for ruining players' careers (See: Chris Webber)

I'd pick Chris Bosh over both of them right now, if I were selecting the top young PF/C, someone who could replace Duncan as the best at his position someday.

Thanks for the laugh. If you categorize Howard as a weak defender, I can't even use the words to describe Bosh's defense. CB4 is a damn good scorer with a plethora of offensive moves in his arsenal, but as a defensive player and rebounder, he's not even in Howard's galaxy. And, I've always said, I want my big man to rebound and defend first, and score last.

I also like the fact that you think he'll never be a dominating player, despite the fact that he put up 16 and 12.5 as a 20 year old player out of high school. Remember, when Amare hit the league, he was a full year older than Dwight, and it does make a difference.

I want to see Amare post surgery and without Nash running the team. Whether people want to admit it or not, Nash DOES increase Amare's scoring and efficiency from the floor. In his second season, Amare put up 20.6 PPG without Nash, but he did it on .475 shooting from the floor which, for a big man, is mediocre at best.

Chances are, Amare is never the player he once was, and for that, I think you have to take Howard. Bosh shouldn't even be in this conversation, as he's far too weak to bang in the post and rebound over opponents. The World Championships did a terrific job of exploiting this.

SpurForLife
09-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the laugh. If you categorize Howard as a weak defender, I can't even use the words to describe Bosh's defense. CB4 is a damn good scorer with a plethora of offensive moves in his arsenal, but as a defensive player and rebounder, he's not even in Howard's galaxy. And, I've always said, I want my big man to rebound and defend first, and score last.

I also like the fact that you think he'll never be a dominating player, despite the fact that he put up 16 and 12.5 as a 20 year old player out of high school. Remember, when Amare hit the league, he was a full year older than Dwight, and it does make a difference.

I want to see Amare post surgery and without Nash running the team. Whether people want to admit it or not, Nash DOES increase Amare's scoring and efficiency from the floor. In his second season, Amare put up 20.6 PPG without Nash, but he did it on .475 shooting from the floor which, for a big man, is mediocre at best.

Chances are, Amare is never the player he once was, and for that, I think you have to take Howard. Bosh shouldn't even be in this conversation, as he's far too weak to bang in the post and rebound over opponents. The World Championships did a terrific job of exploiting this.

I agree :tu

baseline bum
09-09-2006, 12:25 PM
Howard is going to be the best bigman in the league in 3-4 years.

Not when Greg Oden will have had 2-3 years NBA experience.

HeyIt'sMe
09-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Not when Greg Oden will have had 2-3 years NBA experience.

Let's see him play a college game before hyping him as God.

baseline bum
09-09-2006, 12:57 PM
If the NBA rules would have allowed it, Oden would have gone ahead of Howard in the draft as a high-school sophomore. I think I'd take Howard over Stoudemire though, even if Amare is healthy. Howard kills him on the glass, and Stoudemire is one of the worst defensive bigs in the league.

mavs>spurs2
09-09-2006, 01:43 PM
If the NBA rules would have allowed it, Oden would have gone ahead of Howard in the draft as a high-school sophomore. I think I'd take Howard over Stoudemire though, even if Amare is healthy. Howard kills him on the glass, and Stoudemire is one of the worst defensive bigs in the league.

A high school sophmore? That might be a little bit of an exaggeration. A sophmore in high school is physically nor mentally anywhere near ready for the NBA.

stretch
09-09-2006, 05:04 PM
:rollin

:lmao

:flypig :elephant
ok.

Bob Lanier
09-09-2006, 07:31 PM
One bit of idiocy deserves another. Dwight Howard is not at all a good defender (although you or one of your supporters correctly note that he's not as terrible as Chris Bosh), nor is he particularly "talented" beyond his skill for rebounding and his pretty good passing ability. He's a phenomenal athlete, but he has yet to prove a very great deal with regards to being a phenomenal basketball player, especially as the fantastical exuberance of fans grows. That's hardly uncommon, but unlike other overrated fan favorites like LeBron James, Howard has yet to prove that he can do anything but rebound at a superstar level.

mavs>spurs2
09-09-2006, 08:12 PM
One bit of idiocy deserves another. Dwight Howard is not at all a good defender (although you or one of your supporters correctly note that he's not as terrible as Chris Bosh), nor is he particularly "talented" beyond his skill for rebounding and his pretty good passing ability. He's a phenomenal athlete, but he has yet to prove a very great deal with regards to being a phenomenal basketball player, especially as the fantastical exuberance of fans grows. That's hardly uncommon, but unlike other overrated fan favorites like LeBron James, Howard has yet to prove that he can do anything but rebound at a superstar level.

Just one question. What else can Stoudemire do at a superstar level besides dunk?

dirk4mvp
09-09-2006, 10:15 PM
Just one question. What else can Stoudemire do at a superstar level besides dunk?

Run. :drunk

Shit, what else could 'Nique do beside dunk and he was pretty damn good. :tu

freedom&justice
09-09-2006, 10:24 PM
Dwight Howard.

THE SIXTH MAN
09-10-2006, 01:09 AM

You know I thought the same thing when I read her post. How the hell can you watch the game of basketball and not see that Howard doesn't have a presence? And then to throw Bosh out there like that?

Duncan21
09-10-2006, 06:18 AM
dwight howard!

z0sa
09-10-2006, 02:23 PM
whoever said amare sucked before Nash see 2003: rookie of the year