PDA

View Full Version : Roofing company

Shelly
10-26-2004, 04:00 PM
I need to get some estimates. Any recommendations?

Gracias.

Duff McCartney
10-26-2004, 05:10 PM
Sleep in one of these until then....

http://www.campready.com/Images/Products/Large/ts01230.jpg

Jimcs50
10-26-2004, 05:14 PM
Do not pay anything until the job is completed, Roofing is the biggest scam out there.

CosmicCowboy
10-26-2004, 05:27 PM
Beldon is pretty good, but upper end expensive. Bonded, reputable, etc. and a warranty means something. They also have salesmen/estimators so frustration level is lower in getting them out there to look at the job. The small one man shops will be cheaper but you will get frustrated waiting for bids and warranties are typically worthless.

tlongII
10-26-2004, 05:34 PM
Move.

CosmicCowboy
10-26-2004, 05:38 PM
http://singanewsong.50megs.com/homeless_bridge.jpg

thats easy for you to say TLong since the state maintains your roof...:p

Shelly
10-26-2004, 06:14 PM
well, hopefully insurance will pay for it. It definitely leaks in the garage and did leak in two spots when we had all that rain a few summers ago. Either way, we will have it done. If insurance doesn't pay, I'm guesstimating around 4-5k.

Jimbo, I never pay for anything until work is completed. The people who painted the outside of my house this summer hated us. We made them come back 3 times until they got it right before we paid them a dime. One would think that if one has black shutters that didn't needed to be painted, that said painting company would cover these shutters when using an off white color. The covered the windows but not the shutters. Like we weren't gonna notice white flecks on black.

Guru of Nothing
10-26-2004, 06:22 PM
Concur with everything CC said about Beldon. They did my roof (about 10 years ago) and I had zero problems. I probably paid about 30-40% more (purely a guess), but based upon my experience, I'd do it again.

Duff McCartney
10-26-2004, 06:40 PM
well, hopefully insurance will pay for it. It definitely leaks in the garage and did leak in two spots when we had all that rain a few summers ago. Either way, we will have it done. If insurance doesn't pay, I'm guesstimating around 4-5k.

I don't think it's gonna be around that much...we have to do the same thing on our house...and it's got like total damage...but it wasn't more than 2 grand.

CrazyOne
10-26-2004, 06:43 PM
I had K&B Builders do ours about 6 years ago, and they seem to have done a good job. They have changed their name, so that people don't confuse them with KB(ain't worth a ***)homes. Anybody remember what the new name is?

Hook Dem
10-26-2004, 07:04 PM
I don't think it's gonna be around that much...we have to do the same thing on our house...and it's got like total damage...but it wasn't more than 2 grand.
Duff...that a low expectation. You must live in a very small house.

Guru of Nothing
10-26-2004, 07:09 PM

Ha Ha ....

Duff ballparks roofing estimates in an Internet forum without having seen Shelly's roof. ... Or has he? .... File this under Things That Make You Say Hmmmmmmm.

Shelly
10-26-2004, 07:30 PM
:lol

It will most likely cost that much....at least.

blackbucket
10-26-2004, 11:25 PM
Aaaaaah. Now the roofing comment in chat makes sense.

Slomo
10-27-2004, 04:00 AM
Jimbo, I never pay for anything until work is completed. The people who painted the outside of my house this summer hated us. We made them come back 3 times until they got it right before we paid them a dime. One would think that if one has black shutters that didn't needed to be painted, that said painting company would cover these shutters when using an off white color. The covered the windows but not the shutters. Like we weren't gonna notice white flecks on black.There must be a secret worldwide society of building workers somewhere, I've lived in three different countries in my life (one of them was even a communist country) and the above statement could be true in any of them!
http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

AlamoSpursFan
10-27-2004, 04:44 AM
I had K&B Builders do ours about 6 years ago, and they seem to have done a good job. They have changed their name, so that people don't confuse them with KB(ain't worth a ***)homes. Anybody remember what the new name is?

Ken Bobo's KB Home had to change their name to Bobo Custom Builders because Kaufman Broad screwed their own name up so badly they decided to call themselves (what else?) KB Homes.

I'm almost positive there was a big fish vs. minnow type legal showdown like the one that did in the name of the True Blue Texas Roadhouse in La Vernia.

Useruser666
10-27-2004, 08:18 AM
Didn't anyone hear the KB Builders commercial? "We are absolutely not associated with KB Homes", was a line from that bit.

Wasn't Kaufman Broad originally Ray Ellison before it that?

$2,000 is pretty cheap for a roof. It's a really small house or a really big dog house. Compare square foot pricing or by the yard(Square yard). What type of roof is also a huge factor. Asfault, metal, wood shingle, or gravel mean all the difference. Also, in some cases new roofs can be laid over old ones without having to remove them. This can be cheaper, but only works if there is no structural damage with the underlying sheathing or framing. I'd put Beldon on the top of the list.

AlamoSpursFan
10-27-2004, 10:59 AM
Kaufman Broad bought the remains of Ray Ellison after they changed their name to something else to dodge their shoddy rep too.

Ray Ellison USED to build quality homes, until demand outstripped their ability to keep up.

Useruser666
10-27-2004, 11:00 AM
How many decades ago was that?

GODADDYSA
10-27-2004, 11:12 AM
WARNING: do not use ANY company with the name CENTEX

Shelly
10-27-2004, 12:55 PM
I called Beldon and left a message. Any other recommendations? I'd like to get a couple of estimates.

CosmicCowboy
10-27-2004, 02:00 PM
Embrey Roofing is reputable as well...924-8371

queen sophie
10-27-2004, 03:31 PM
We had our roof done in November of 2001 by McKenzie Roofing. The job was extensive and well done by all parties involved. They have a lot of business so you might have to wait a bit but the company will come out and give you an estimate.