PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have Cricket?

Kori Ellis
09-09-2006, 01:28 PM
I'm thinking of changing my cell phone service to Cricket (unlimited everything for ~$40 per month).

Does anyone have it? Is the service good?

NorCal510
09-09-2006, 01:29 PM
is that local thing?

we got ghettro down here aka metro pcs

Kori Ellis
09-09-2006, 01:29 PM
No, it's national but it's relatively new. (It's not in every city yet)

PM5K
09-09-2006, 01:37 PM
Someone posted that either Cricket or Pocket sucked ass, can't remember which..

tsb2000
09-09-2006, 01:40 PM
My wife has Cricket (in Phoenix) for the unlimited mins. Only problem is there's no long distance and no roaming. Whenever we leave town, her phone is useless. That, and the phones are very expensive to start since there's no contracts. Had to get it for her though, she racked up about $700 in overages over 2 months with Sprint. :wow I like how the bill is always the same amount for her.

PM5K
09-09-2006, 01:47 PM
I think that there are certain companies that for various reasons nickle and dime people every chance they get, I can't say for certain that Cricket does that but it's not uncommon for companies that charge less up front to do that.

Check out Rip Off Report...

mcornelio
09-09-2006, 01:53 PM
lol i go to the rip off report and the first thing there is this article

Cricket Communications Bent Over Insurance! Ripoff Thornton Colorado *UPDATE EX-employee responds ..How insurance works.... http://www.ripoffreport.com/images/line.gif
Company
Cricket CommunicationsAddress:
mycricket.com
Thornton Colorado 80229
U.S.A.
Phone Number:
720-374-8050
Fax: http://www.ripoffreport.com/images/line.gif

I've had cricket phone service for approximately six years now off and on. Through certain periods they have had some of the worst support, and worst service, but I would say recently my phone has been working rather admirably. Two days ago, I was at a party and my phone was stolen, which is promting this report. I went to a cricket store to have my phone replaced, and they informed me to do that I would have to call the insurance replacement line (1-866-718-0693) and they would ship me a phone, and due to the circumstances they would overnight the phone.

With a dire need for my phone, I asked if they could just swap my service over to an older motorola phone until I received the replacement. They informed me that if I put my old phone on the service, that would remove my insurance, and I wouldn't be able to claim my stolen phone or receive a replacement. Seeing that there was nothing they would do in store, I went home and called the replacement line. After being on hold for approximately 20 minutes, they informed me that the motorola 265 was no long in production, and the only phone they could send me was an audiovox that has been out of production for over a year, that they couldn't provide insurance on in the future, and that I would have to purchase all new chargers, data backup cable, and headsets for.

While I was talking to the person on the phone, I looked up average current retail price on the phone, and it was 49.99! They wanted me to pay $50.00 for an "insured" replacement for a phone that was worth only $50 to replace a $200 phone that I bought two months ago, and then also pay $15 for re-activation. In the end, I swapped over to my old phone, did not get the replacement, and plan on getting a nicer phone that has been unlocked for cricket service. At almost $5 a month, for the past 6 years, I have paid them around $350 in insurance, and the one time I try to use it they want to charge me the deductable (which I was aware of), and then send me a completely different phone which is complete crap! In store they guaranteed me that I would receive a motorola 265 when I called in, but evidentally the cricket stores don't understand the insurance procedure either. Bottom line, unless you buy $300 phones, and loose them every month, its not worth it.

Michael
Northglenn, Colorado
U.S.A.

sa_butta
09-09-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm thinking of changing my cell phone service to Cricket (unlimited everything for ~$40 per month).

Does anyone have it? Is the service good?Funny you bring that up, I was in there the other day and was wondering the same thing. Im considering switching from Cingular. Oh and who is better Cricket or Pocket?

mcornelio
09-09-2006, 01:56 PM
lol see kori now u know... dont get the insurance.

PM5K
09-09-2006, 02:06 PM
Yeah they have some issues with insurance, I wouldn't be shocked if the sales agents don't mention deductibles, at least sometimes...

Also, a little off topic but any time that a customer says "The Customer Is Always Right" they are usually totally wrong and often idiots, and actually the customer is rarely right....

PM5K
09-09-2006, 02:09 PM
"This company likes to screw as much money out of their customers as possible!"

And that's what I'm talking about, when a company charges 40.00 for something another company charges 80.00 or more for, they have to make it up somehow, usually by nickle and diming people.....

Read two or three pages of Rip Off Report, and if you still want to use their service go for it....

mcornelio
09-09-2006, 02:26 PM
i still dont think you should base your decision just on the ripofff report... if it came down to that nobody would have any cellphone service

Clandestino
09-09-2006, 02:29 PM
i think the 40 is for local service right?

leemajors
09-09-2006, 03:14 PM
i have cingular and have the 1200 minute family plan. i mostly call people with cingular anyway, it costs me $180/month with 5 lines and i have 8,000 rollover minutes after one year. i don't plan on changing companies for a long time, i get an additional discount with them through apple i haven't taken advantage of yet - i think i get a 13% discount on my bill and the phones are cheaper than the new contract deals. you might wanna see if you can get a discount as a woai employee through a certain company.

tsb2000
09-09-2006, 03:30 PM
The optional insurance has a deductible, depending on the original value of the phone purchased. I've had to use it for my wife's phone, but since there's no contract for service, everything costs more up front. I had her new phone at the door in 3 days for only $50. Other companies can charge less since they know they've got you as a customer for at least a year, if not two. With Cricket, there's no contracts, so all the costs are up front.

Hungry farmer
09-09-2006, 03:47 PM
If you run a report on Time Warner AOL and United Way, you will find something if you look hard enough. Even the Red Cross has some scams going on from time to time.

That cell phone scam was some big wig's who srewed many cell phone companies on a 5.00 dollar charge when they was issuing used cell phones and pocket the cash, Cricket was caught in the middle as other cell phone companies. They already made good on thier customers.

My Girlfriend works for Cricket and she spends all day activating phones when folks run out of money, How many cell phone companies will not only let you slide but turn on your phone for another 15 days till you pay it? We waited 5 years for them to finally come to San Antonio.

She now talks long distance to Houston and NY for about 3 hours a week and her bill is always 39.99 no matter who and when she talks. That's why many other companies started doing the same thing about a year ago they knew Cricket was coming and they could steal all the Buisness away.

The only thing bad about the Cricket phone is you can't play Deal or no Deal when they give out that 5.000 Dollars durring each show when they ask you to call in.

Kori Ellis
09-09-2006, 04:24 PM
i think the 40 is for local service right?

It's 45 for unlimited local, long distance, text messaging etc.

Kori Ellis
09-09-2006, 04:30 PM
My wife has Cricket (in Phoenix) for the unlimited mins. Only problem is there's no long distance and no roaming. Whenever we leave town, her phone is useless. That, and the phones are very expensive to start since there's no contracts.

Yeah I know that it has no roaming. The phones here are only $60.

By problems I meant, is the service good in regards to very little dropped calls, etc.

I don't care about insurance issues, I never buy insurance for any cell phone.

Clandestino
09-09-2006, 04:40 PM
yeah, that is what i look for first... actual phone service... i switched from sprint to cingular bc of the coverage area....

Kori Ellis
09-09-2006, 04:43 PM
My problem is that I have Cingular now because I used to have AT&T. Since it's now Cingular, I have until Sept 30 to change my AT&T phone to a Cingular one (that's fine .. the phone is free) and to change my AT&T plan to a Cingular plan. The plan they are offering that's similar to the one I have is 40 less minutes per month for $7 MORE per month. :wtf

Lady Marmalade
09-09-2006, 04:55 PM
My problem is that I have Cingular now because I used to have AT&T. Since it's now Cingular, I have until Sept 30 to change my AT&T phone to a Cingular one (that's fine .. the phone is free) and to change my AT&T plan to a Cingular plan. The plan they are offering that's similar to the one I have is 40 less minutes per month for $7 MORE per month. :wtf

But with Cingular you do get Roll-Over mins with many of thier plans.

Kori Ellis
09-09-2006, 05:00 PM
But with Cingular you do get Roll-Over mins with many of thier plans.

Yeah I know. But why should I pay $7 more for 40 less minutes? They said it's because Cingular is better than AT&T :lmao

Zunni
09-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Virgin Mobile. Just switched from Sprint. My phone was $89, which will pay for itself in 5 months just on the difference in my bill. It's national (they piggyback on Sprint's network). No contracts, and they offer plans from minutes to monthly. I'm on a $34.99 plan that has 400 anytime and 1000 evenings and weekend minutes which start at 7PM. I'm not a texter, but they had some pretty good add on packages for that.

Their website is virginmobileusa.com. You can buy phones from the website or at stores here in town. They have a store finder on the website. I also kept my number. Activation can be done from the website if you don't want to retain your number, or from one phone call.

Clandestino
09-09-2006, 05:11 PM
who's network does cricket use?

Steve Perry
09-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Does this mean kori will start calling Game time react now? The Ticket 76 is so bad I get a pain in my gut if I tune in longer than 2 minutes. I heard those two asshats that they have on Saturday morings talking about which NBA player likes sausage, I lasted 90 seconds.

I never thought I would say this but I miss solid radio so bad I rather listen to Dusty Garza, at least the man knew NBA, Please Kori get your cell going and fix sports radio with your interesting updates and locker room sound bites.

PM5K
09-09-2006, 06:12 PM
I just know someone here complained because their service dropped somewhere around 410 basically in the middle of town (410 isn't the middle of town but you should certainly get service there), I just don't know it if was Pocket or Cricket....

Brutalis
09-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Cricket is prolly the most popular service in Arkansas. I have them, and they're pretty good. I got the anytime free long distance thing for 50 a month.

tsb2000
09-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Yeah I know that it has no roaming. The phones here are only $60.

By problems I meant, is the service good in regards to very little dropped calls, etc.

I don't care about insurance issues, I never buy insurance for any cell phone.

The only quality problem my wife ever has is when she forgets to charge the phone. :) The service iteself is more reliable than any of the "regular" carriers, with the possible exception of Verizon.