PDA

View Full Version : Theo Ratliff Promises Celtics a New Player

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-10-2006, 08:50 AM
Big guy has big aspirations: Ratliff promises to make his presence felt with C’s
By Steve Bulpett/ NBA Notes
Boston Herald Sports Reporter

Sunday, September 10, 2006 - Updated: 01:54 AM EST

When the Celtics made their draft night deal with Portland, most attention was focused on little man Sebastian Telfair, while the 6-foot-10 guy has managed to slip by without much notice. But Theo Ratliff is talking like he’ll change that.

“I definitely think people are going to be surprised that I can still play the game and be dominant in that middle,” Ratliff said after coming in for early workouts last week.

Heck, with most Celtics fans viewing him as the necessary acceptance to get out from the rest of Raef LaFrentz’ contract, folks will be stunned if Ratliff can make it up and down the floor a few times. He’s been largely dismissed as a bag of injuries, a concept he swatted away the other day like one of his 1,867 career blocked shots.

“I feel good,” Ratliff said. “Everything’s working properly. Last year, I just came down on somebody’s foot and sprained my ankle twice. That’s just a freak thing that can happen. Other than that, I feel great.

“Whatever is required of me in terms of minutes, I feel like I can go out and do it. I feel like I’m in pretty good shape and that’s getting better. We’ve got good strength coaches and I’m enjoying working with them already. By the beginning of the season, I feel like I’m going to be more than ready to go.cw0

“I’ve got no problems,” the 33-year-old said. “My body feels great. I have no aches, no pains.”

The best case scenario for the Celtics would be Kendrick Perkins taking a giant step in his developmental process and forcing Doc Rivers to play him 30-plus minutes a game. That would mean staying out of foul trouble and not being a hindrance to the offense.

Ratliff could then offer toughness in relief - a quality the Celts lack in an overall sense.

“I’m an intimidating factor under the basket,” he said. “People have to be constantly looking for me. I bring that, and I know that’s what this team needs. We need some defense and some know-how out on the floor. I think we can get the job done with the team we have.”

For a team as defensively challenged as were the Celtics last season, that might be pushing it a little. But if the C’s can improve their interior resistance it would help make up for the perimeter problems.

If Ratliff can stay intact, the only downside to life with his new team could be the weather.

“I think Boston’s great, but I don’t like fighting that cold,” said Ratliff, who makes his home in Atlanta. “I’m originally from Alabama. I don’t like dealing with that snow and cold.”