PDA

View Full Version : Javtokas article

KoriEllis
08-21-2004, 11:07 PM
St. V-M grads to be reunited

James and Lithuanian competed against each other in open gyms

By Tom Reed

Beacon Journal staff writer

www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjo...800.htm?1c (http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/sports/basketball/9459800.htm?1c)

ATHENS, GREECE - LeBron James won't be the only St. Vincent-St. Mary graduate who steps on the court today when the U.S. Olympic basketball team faces Lithuania.

Robertas Javtokas, who jokingly insists he's the reason James chose St. V-M, will be in the lineup for undefeated Lithuania.

While James' inclusion in the Olympics is no surprise, Javtokas' basketball future was in doubt two years ago when he broke his leg in a motorcycle accident in his native Lithuania.

``I'm so happy he is back playing the game,'' James said. ``He is a great guy and a good talent.''

A former second-round pick of the San Antonio Spurs, the 6-foot-11 forward is coming off the bench for Lithuania. He scored 11 points Thursday night in a 98-76 victory over Greece.

The game will be of vital interest to Bob and Becky Kelly, who sponsored Javtokas and fellow Lithuanian Donatas Zauackas. Each attended St. V-M in the 1998-99 school year.

``Robertas thinks they will give the U.S. a run,'' said Bob Kelly, who's had 12 international exchange students in his and his wife's Granger Township home. ``He thinks they can compete for the gold medal.''

While the Americans have struggled to a 2-1 record with an opening-game loss to Puerto Rico, the Lithuanians have jumped to a 3-0 start.

``I don't know much about them, but I know they are one of the better teams here,'' James said.

The Cavaliers' star can vouch for Javtokas' character.

Ruled ineligible to play by the Ohio High School Athletic Association, both Lithuanians continued to faithfully practice. James competed against Javtokas in open gyms and recognized his talent.

``Robertas used to tell LeBron that he was the reason LeBron picked St. V's,'' Kelly said.

The Lithuanians earned college scholarships, Javtokas to Arizona and Zauackas to the University of Pittsburgh. Javtokas played one season before beginning his professional career at home. Zauackas also is playing in Europe.

Javtokas' rapid improvement got him drafted, but the 2002 motorcycle accident jeopardized his career. A truck driver who did not see Javtokas turned left into him. The force of the collision sent him flying several dozen yards.

He diligently rehabbed the injury and returned to the game. He has been a key contributor to his club team, Lietuvos Rytas, the past two seasons.

The 24-year-old is honored to be part of the national team, Kelly said.

``I'm looking forward to it,'' James said. ``It's always great to play for your country, and we both know that feeling.''

grjr
08-22-2004, 04:21 AM
I haven't seen anything of that 39 inch vertical that Javtokas used to have. I wonder if he'll ever regain some of that.

jr

Man in Black1
08-22-2004, 05:55 AM
:brotha

There was an article in the Express-news I think 2 summers ago which indicated that the Spurs paid for his surgery to fix his leg and that he was to attend Pete Newell big man camp. There his vertical was 34 inches. Not bad after what was considered a career-ending surgery.

ChumpDumper
08-22-2004, 02:14 PM
Gaining 40 pounds of bulk could've taken some off his hops as well.

I'll take a 34 inch vert from a 6'10" 260lb player any day.