PDA

View Full Version : Pool Player wins $500K in tournament

orhe
09-11-2006, 04:39 AM
Champion racks it up in tournament
DAVID JACOBS
RENO GAZETTE-JOURNAL
Posted: 9/11/2006

Efren Reyes holds his trophy high Sunday as the new World Open 8-Ball Champion of the International Pool Tour at the Grand Sierra Resort in Reno. Reyes won $500,000 after defeating Rodney “Rocket” Morris 8-6 in the final round before a crowd of about 300. Reyes said he plans to use the money to help his son with a new home

Efren Reyes holds his trophy high Sunday as the new World Open 8-Ball Champion of the International Pool Tour at the Grand Sierra Resort in Reno. Reyes won $500,000 after defeating Rodney “Rocket” Morris 8-6 in the final round before a crowd of about 300. Reyes said he plans to use the money to help his son with a new home

Efren Reyes, of the Philippines, concentrates Sunday on his shot during his final game against Rodney “Rocket” Morris at the International Pool Tour’s World Open 8-Ball Championship, held at the Grand Sierra Resort in RenoEfren Reyes, of the Philippines, concentrates Sunday on his shot during his final game against Rodney “Rocket” Morris at the International Pool Tour’s World Open 8-Ball Championship, held at the Grand Sierra Resort in Reno

Related ArticleBush and wife, with 'heavy hearts,' lay floral wreaths at Ground Zero Related ArticleTeenagers want to know more about how 9/11 has led to 2006 Related ArticleFree buses downtown need funds, RTC says Related ArticleMotorists speed looking for outlet on dead-end street Related ArticleJack Carter, candidate for Senate, hospitalized Related ArticlePool sharks aim for more money, respect

At one point Sunday, Efren Reyes thought he didn't have a chance to win the International Pool Tour's World Open 8-Ball Championship.

But he walked away with $500,000 as tournament champion in Reno's Grand Sierra Resort.

Reyes defeated Rodney "Rocket" Morris 8-6 in the final round.

"I thought I didn't have a chance to win when I missed the eight ball two times. Then, he got me 4-2 in the score," Reyes said.

But Reyes, of the Philippines, came back to win.

"I am very happy," he said. "My countrymen, they are happy. They are watching on the Internet and everything and for the news."

He plans to use the money to help his son with a new home.

"My son, he's getting married," Reyes said.

A crowd estimated at 300 filled the Summit Pavilion to watch the duel.

3 turning points

A Hawaiian who lives in Spring Hill Fla., Morris identified three turning points.

"All of them were when I scratched on the break," Morris said. "That was basically how I gave away the match."

"Every time I got a chance to break and win a game, I scratched in the side pocket," Morris said. "That's what gave the momentum back to him, gave the game away obviously. That was it. That's how important that break is in this game."

$150,000 second prize

Morris won $150,000 as runner-up.

"I haven't really thought about (what to do with) it. The same thing I always do with money, right? Spend it," Morris said laughing.

The weeklong 8-Ball Championship, featuring 200 players, is expected back in Reno, tour founder Kevin Trudeau said.

"In fact, we (the tour) may be coming back at the end of the year," he said.

Reno preference

The King of the Hill Championship is planned for December at The Wynn in Las Vegas. But the players "much prefer coming to Reno," Trudeau said.

"It's a little more cost-competitive for them," he said. "Keep in mind they are paying their own room and food and everything."

"All of the players really loved coming here," Trudeau added. "They didn't have to deal with the traffic, the craziness and all of the distractions of Vegas.

"There's a good chance we will be coming back."

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060911/NEWS10/609110317/1002/NEWS

any pool players out there?
there's never been so much cash at stake... this might really lift up the sport

TDMVPDPOY
09-11-2006, 05:07 AM
thats alot of pooling if you ask me....so who ended up cummin first?

orhe
09-11-2006, 05:45 AM
obviously Efren Reyes :D